HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boyes to Buffalo

Old
03-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Hippie

vCash: 500
Bruins Fan here. I just wanted to congratulate you on your new ownership, this guy is saying the right things, and I am excited for you! I also wanted to say that the Boyes trade was one I wish we had never done, I like this kid a ton and hope he really brings it for you guys (except against us of course, but that kinda goes without saying )

Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 05:49 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghills23 View Post
His history. Playing on a Stanley Cup winning team with the all the players you listed. Playing for team U.S.A.

His winning history prior to coming to the Sabres. LLWS, Hobey Baker, NCAA National Championship, Calder Trophy, Stanley Cup, Silver Medal.

You don't win that much by riding peoples coattails.
Being on winning teams doesn't mean you're a proven leader. Being part of the leadership core of those winning teams does.

He was not part of the leadership core or a top player when BU won the NCAA championship in 1995. He was just a freshman that year and was their 10th leading scorer. He became the stud college player in the years after that championship year and won the Hobey Baker 3 years later as a senior in 1998.

In Colorado he was a big contributor in their playoff run as their 3rd line center. But he wasn't part of their leadership core either. He showed a glimpse of what he could be and later became in Buffalo.

What does the Calder have to do with being a leader? It just means you were the best rookie. Is Myers now a leader because he won it?

The Silver Medal in 2002? Drury had 0pts in 6gm. He was 1 of only 2 of the 20 skaters that played in games to be held without a point (A.Miller was the other).

Its not about him riding anyone's coattails. Its about him being in good situations and posters making more of it than is warranted. Giving him credit for things he either had very little to do with (2002 silver), played a minor role in (BU's title) or contributed to while showing his potential but wasn't part of the leadership core (Colorado's Cup win).

Reading the way he is portrayed by some. You would think he won the Hobey Baker award the same year he "carried" BU to the championship. Then won the Calder while carrying Colorado to their Cup. Then he was captain America leading the USA to Silver. None of which is the case.

He was not a proven leader in the NHL when he arrived here. None of the above counters that. He had a lot of individual and team success prior to coming here. But he had never really been a clearcut leader of an NHL team before becoming a Sabre.

++++++++This isn't dissing Drury.++++++

Its pointing out that he put it together here along with Briere. Both of them became better players and became leaders in their time here.

I have no idea what Boyes will become in a Sabres uniform. I'm not expecting him to become the captain or anything. But I'm not willing to write anything off just yet after watching what happened with Briere/Drury in their time here.

Last edited by joshjull: 03-01-2011 at 06:10 PM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 05:59 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Mods are not allowed to have agendas. and this one is ancient now
I was one of those advocating to keep both co-captains. I didn't want one over the other. I felt it was crucial to keep both. Together they were the driving force of our team.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 07:03 PM
skibum

Just because two guys put up similar numbers doesn't mean they are anything alike in terms of personality, competitiveness, style of play, or any other aspect of a player's mentality. This thread is a stretch. Big stretch.

Let's just hope that, for once, Darcy actually made the team better at the deadline. All we can do is wait and see how it turns out.

skibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 08:51 PM
fightclubber25

looks like i stepped on some toes!

all i was saying is i like the pick up and think the scenario of the move reminds me more of the drury pickup than the two players particular skill sets.

new owner comes in, wants to build for the future, gets a guy who's proven to have talent, so on so forth..

im not predicting the future im just sharing the way it feels, and i thought the stats were interesting because what drury became here was far from what people thought he would when he came in that summer.

but for what its worth i dont see briere and boyes in any way of the same mold.. production wise maybe, but style of play absolutely not. who knows though, skilled players adapt.

fightclubber25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 10:48 PM
Ghills23

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Being on winning teams doesn't mean you're a proven leader. Being part of the leadership core of those winning teams does.

He was not part of the leadership core or a top player when BU won the NCAA championship in 1995. He was just a freshman that year and was their 10th leading scorer. He became the stud college player in the years after that championship year and won the Hobey Baker 3 years later as a senior in 1998.

In Colorado he was a big contributor in their playoff run as their 3rd line center. But he wasn't part of their leadership core either. He showed a glimpse of what he could be and later became in Buffalo.

What does the Calder have to do with being a leader? It just means you were the best rookie. Is Myers now a leader because he won it?

The Silver Medal in 2002? Drury had 0pts in 6gm. He was 1 of only 2 of the 20 skaters that played in games to be held without a point (A.Miller was the other).

Its not about him riding anyone's coattails. Its about him being in good situations and posters making more of it than is warranted. Giving him credit for things he either had very little to do with (2002 silver), played a minor role in (BU's title) or contributed to while showing his potential but wasn't part of the leadership core (Colorado's Cup win).

Reading the way he is portrayed by some. You would think he won the Hobey Baker award the same year he "carried" BU to the championship. Then won the Calder while carrying Colorado to their Cup. Then he was captain America leading the USA to Silver. None of which is the case.

He was not a proven leader in the NHL when he arrived here. None of the above counters that. He had a lot of individual and team success prior to coming here. But he had never really been a clearcut leader of an NHL team before becoming a Sabre.

++++++++This isn't dissing Drury.++++++

Its pointing out that he put it together here along with Briere. Both of them became better players and became leaders in their time here.

I have no idea what Boyes will become in a Sabres uniform. I'm not expecting him to become the captain or anything. But I'm not willing to write anything off just yet after watching what happened with Briere/Drury in their time here.
But he was a leader when he won the LLWS.

Good points. I was just pointing out that Drury had a much better recipe for becoming a leader. I do think with all his accomplishments and the high level of hockey he had played at the point we acquired him. He was a proven winner and showed leadership qualities. I was wrong by calling him a proven leader.

He my not have been part of the core group of leaders but he certainly showed leadership qualities, that led to success at many different levels. I don't think his success is a coincidence.

I don't think Boyes is not comparable at all to Drury that's the main point I was getting at.

I think Myers has a good recipe for becoming a leader as well by winning the Calder He was a major component to our success last year and I think he has a good chance at becoming a leader on and off the ice, but that's besides the point.

Ghills23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 03:17 AM
Squeeven

Boyes trade was a steal

Does anyone else think that the trade for Brad Boyes was a total steal? I think it was and I can't believe the Sabres got him for just a 2nd rounder. I think he's probably worth a 1st rounder. I think that was horrible management on the Blues' part by trading their best player for a 2nd rounder. The Sabres seem like they have some pretty good offense now. I mean they have Vanek, Pominville, Stafford, Ennis, Hecht, Connolly and now Boyes. Next year with Roy back that will be a dangerous offense I think. Even this year I think the Sabres might be able to squeeze into the playoffs and possibly pull off an upset. Anyways though, I'm just a Sharks fan that wanted to make sure you guys realize what a steal your GM pulled off, ha ha.

Squeeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 03:20 AM
fing0rz

based on past history, with boyes in the line up, the sabres wont lose another game.

fing0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 03:49 AM
SoFFacet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeeven View Post
Does anyone else think that the trade for Brad Boyes was a total steal?
I think that the Blues got as much as they could for him at his current value - but their mistake was trading him at his lowest value with respect to time. Two years ago he would have commanded several 1sts at least.

Still, I agree, a great deal for the Sabres.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 04:39 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

I'm gonna stay negative on this one.

4m for a position we had covered and a guy who's been struggling for nearly 2 years now... Not what they needed, and it could well turn out they could've used that money to a fill a bigger hole next season.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 05:19 AM
KillerKampfer*

Great trade for Buffalo, all those guys including Vanek have thier issues. Boyes was just slumping and needed a change of scenery.

Hell score 30-40 in Buffalo before his deal runs out.

KillerKampfer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 06:06 AM
Mergus merganser

Can't wait to bump this thread when he doesn't pot another goal the rest of the season.

Mergus merganser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 07:40 AM
Clock

Even if it doesn't work out, I can appreciate the fact that Darcy took a chance to get another top sixer into the lineup. Only giving up a second for what could simply be a guy that needed a change of scenery / new system to play in seems like a no brainer to me.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 08:05 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Even if it doesn't work out, I can appreciate the fact that Darcy took a chance to get another top sixer into the lineup. Only giving up a second for what could simply be a guy that needed a change of scenery / new system to play in seems like a no brainer to me.
Yeah, it's not a huge deal, but I think it has the potential to be a pretty solid value - at least we get another year of service, and a contract year at that.

While I want to see one or two big trades and/or UFA signings this year, by itself that's not going to be enough to turn this team into a contender. We're going to need some young guys stepping up their game, and we're going to need to find some diamonds in the rough through trade. If this turns out to be one of those - great. If not - at least we tried.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:03 AM
Mergus merganser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Agreed, at worst he will be a 50-60 point guy. I can live with that.

Mergus merganser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:06 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
His acquisition also may provide a bit of a bounce for the rest of the forwards. Some of them may be a bit rejuvenated as the front office went out and got them help.

Let's hope he has more of Rick Vaive to his game than Steve Bernier after the early goal....

03-02-2011, 10:35 AM
Rant Casey

Concur.

Let's hope he didn't burn through his allotment of Sabres goals all in one sitting, ala big bear.

Rant Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 11:05 AM
CupWanted
#19 The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
His acquisition also may provide a bit of a bounce for the rest of the forwards. Some of them may be a bit rejuvenated as the front office went out and got them help.

Let's hope he has more of Rick Vaive to his game than Steve Bernier after the early goal....
Boyes showed more defensive acumen and physicality last night than we saw from Big Bear on any regular basis. It's obviously too early to call this trade a success, but I like what I see so far.

CupWanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 11:44 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupWanted View Post
Boyes showed more defensive acumen and physicality last night than we saw from Big Bear on any regular basis. It's obviously too early to call this trade a success, but I like what I see so far.
I was thinking how Vaive exploded after being acquired (am I too old? ) than how Bernier got here, had one good game and then went away.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:34 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
I was thinking how Vaive exploded after being acquired (am I too old? ) than how Bernier got here, had one good game and then went away.
Nope. (we both remember when Ruff wore #22)

Still remember that game. He was a beast, Rob Ray NHL debut-esque.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:36 PM
CupWanted
#19 The Future

Quote:
Proof that we are of a different generation: I watched his son Justin play at Miami for 3 years

CupWanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 01:27 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupWanted View Post
Proof that we are of a different generation: I watched his son Justin play at Miami for 3 years
I've seen Justin play as well.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 02:31 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Bernier has popped into my head waaay too many times since Boyes scored last night.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 03:42 PM
Jamie Walker

speaking of some forwards having a bit more bounce, it looked like connolly really stepped up his game. hopefully everyone joins in.

Jamie Walker is online now   Reply With Quote