HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boyes to Buffalo

Old
02-27-2011, 11:46 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
Agreed big time. I know it's a question mark, but I think we're more likely to try and find an answer to the question by trying him at center than leaving it unanswered. Playing with Pominville would certainly help defensively.
It's certainly worth a shot. I like the look of a Vanek-Boyes-Pommer line if he can still hack it center. And if he can't Ruff, will yank him fast.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 11:47 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Pts per game post lockout
Boyes .71
Connolly .86

pts per game last 2 seasons (this season+last year)

Boyes = .58
Connolly = .76

Boyes is a healthy Connolly

it's a good trade on a cost basis... and hopefully we can start scoring more then 2 goals a game... but this deal is NOT a game changer
Who said it was?

We added talent, got a little better and for minimal cost.

You almost seem annoyed this happened.

Enjoy the moment already for a day or two. Then you can beat him up in the first GBU

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 11:48 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD SabreFan View Post
Wrong. We acquired him two years after that season. He went something like -25 in his last year with Phoenix. Hence the reason NOBODY put in a waiver claim for him, besides the Sabres.

Someone sounds a bit too negative over an acquisition where we gave up a 2nd rounder for someone who put up 65+ points in consecutive years with the ST LOUIS BLUES, of all teams.
Briere was waived in Octorber 2000. He scored 32 goals in the 2001-2002 season. That next year, he was acquired at the deadline by the Sabres.

Kay?

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 11:49 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Who said it was?

We added talent, got a little better and for minimal cost.

You almost seem annoyed this happened.

Enjoy the moment already for a day or two. Then you can beat him up in the first GBU
not annoyed at all. i really like the deal. great move. but the first few pages were a little too excited... and i do find the irony in all the irony in all of the Connolly haters all of the sudden being fans of boyes game

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 11:51 PM
Pengo

It's not like Connolly is a terrible player. He just needs a change of scenery more than anything.

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 11:53 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassian View Post
It's not like Connolly is a terrible player. He just needs a change of scenery more than anything.
TC is 30 years old. He's not some rookie trapped in a mental rut somewhere. He's an injury prone veteran whose skills are on the decline.

Old
02-27-2011, 11:54 PM
joshjull

Quote:
not annoyed at all. i really like the deal. great move. but the first few pages were a little too excited... and i do find the irony in all the irony in all of the Connolly haters all of the sudden being fans of boyes game
Too excited?

Are you actually a Sabres fan? Calling out our fan base for getting excited by this move is bizarre given our history.

Also the comparison to Connolly is bit premature.

Old
02-27-2011, 11:56 PM
slip

Quote:
Rebranding the franchise?

Regier likes the the kind of players he likes. That zebra won't change his stripes.

Old
02-27-2011, 11:59 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Too excited?

Are you actually a Sabres fan? Calling out our fan base for getting excited by this move is bizarre given our history.

The comparison to Connolly is quite accurate. I don't understand how a comparison can be premature... some people actually watch other teams play hockey.

wow... TSN is reporting a 3rd rounder instead of 2nd

BEST TRADE EVER
(is that better?)

Old
02-28-2011, 12:00 AM
rabi

Quote:
The comparison to Connolly is quite accurate. I don't understand how a comparison can be premature... some people actually watch other teams play hockey.

BEST TRADE EVER
(is that better?)
TSN's trade tracker is wrong...

rabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 12:01 AM
Ghills23

Mendola said Blues fans said that this would be for Boyes if he was in the all star target competition.

Ghills23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
joshjull

Quote:

BEST TRADE EVER
(is that better?)
You're actually using that counterpoint with me

You're just pissy because posters want to run Connolly out of town and it may happen. ( I hope not to be honest)

Old
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
For those opposed to this deal... A mid 2nd rounder would turn out to be what? Is THAT more valuable than Boyes?

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 12:04 AM
boots electric

How exactly are we comparing Boyes to Connolly? Are we talking about it in terms of point production or what exactly? If we're talking about style of play, there isn't a comparison to be made...they're very different.

boots electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 12:04 AM
slip

Quote:
Too excited?

Wait a minute. We were told that the point of this franchise is to win the cup in 3 years. Is this a trade that in any shape or form brings us closer to that goal? Does Boyes serve any other function other than providing a short term offensive bost for this season? Will Buffalo have the pieces in place for a cup run next year, the final year of Boyes' contract?

I'm just trying to reconcile management's contention that it wants to work towards building a cup contender and not sacrificing assets for short term fixes when in fact this trade seems quite a bit like sacrificing an asset for a short term fix, even if that term extends beyond this year into next.

Just trying to get a grip on the direction Regier wants to take the team.

Old
02-28-2011, 12:05 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
You're actually using that counterpoint with me

You're just pissy because posters want to run Connolly out of town and it may happen. ( I hope not to be honest)
For someone to call a player comparison "premature" when comparing a 28 and 29 yr old player... i certainly have to question whether you've actually watched said players...

im not being pissy... this is me being normal, you know that

Old
02-28-2011, 12:08 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots electric View Post
How exactly are we comparing Boyes to Connolly? Are we talking about it in terms of point production or what exactly? If we're talking about style of play, there isn't a comparison to be made...they're very different.
every major component of their games is similar... in fact... if two days ago, you asked me who the most comparable NHL veteran to Tim Connolly was... i would've said Boyes

Old
OpethianSabre20

Here's an interesting question. Does Boyes get his first goal as a Sabre before Nieds?

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
Wait a minute. We were told that the point of this franchise is to win the cup in 3 years. Is this a trade that in any shape or form brings us closer to that goal? Does Boyes serve any other function other than providing a short term offensive bost for this season? Will Buffalo have the pieces in place for a cup run next year, the final year of Boyes' contract?

I'm just trying to reconcile management's contention that it wants to work towards building a cup contender and not sacrificing assets for short term fixes when in fact this trade seems quite a bit like sacrificing an asset for a short term fix, even if that term extends beyond this year into next.

Just trying to get a grip on the direction Regier wants to take the team.

So to turn this back on you

What exactly constitutes a trade leading to a Cup? Crosby or nothing I guess?

Teams win with talent and depth. We just improved both of thse things. Or are you actually going to argue the 2nd we gave up was going to be a wordld beater within 3 years?

Last edited by joshjull: 02-28-2011 at 12:26 AM.
Old
02-28-2011, 12:10 AM
glassjaw*

It's a blah trade. I'll wait to see what he brings which seems like a lot like a faster, smaller Kotalik.

glassjaw* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 12:12 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassjaw View Post
It's a blah trade. I'll wait to see what he brings which seems like a lot like a faster, smaller Kotalik.
Just No

Old
02-28-2011, 12:15 AM
joshjull

Quote:
For someone to call a player comparison "premature" when comparing a 28 and 29 yr old player... i certainly have to question whether you've actually watched said players...

im not being pissy... this is me being normal, you know that
Its premature because most on here haven't seen Boyes play very much. So for an arguement to break out over whether they are similar players is ... well.. stupid. Let let the fans see him play for awhile before getting into this.

Believe it or not you can be wrong about your asessments. Believe it or not many posters may come to a different assessment of him.

I know you wont because it ruins your arguement.

Old
02-28-2011, 12:19 AM
slip

Quote:
So to turn this back on you

What exactly constitutes a trade leading to a Cup? Crosby or nothing I guess?

Teams win with talent and depth. We just improved both of thse things. Or are you actually going to argue the 2nd we gave up was going to be a wordld beater within 3 years?
Using assets to acquire players who will be around/under contract for the duration of this so called 3 year cup quest. That means younger players (21-25) who can complement the Myers/Ennis/Miller core.

In the meantime, I have no problems beefing up the offense in the short term. I want to see us make the playoffs and hopefully win a round as much as anybody else. I doubt we can do against Philly or Boston (my predictions for the #1, #2 seeds), but my heart is 100% behind this team.

Last edited by joshjull: 02-28-2011 at 12:27 AM.
Old
02-28-2011, 12:19 AM
ColonelForbin

Have to see how he fits in with the team first, but at first glance this was an excellent trade by Regier. He picked up a top-six forward with 30 goal and 70 point potential for a pick that might not even turn into an NHL player.

ColonelForbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 12:22 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Its premature because most on here haven't seen Boyes play very much. SO for an arguemnt to break outover whther they are simialr playwers is ... well.. stupid. Let let the fans see him play for awhile before getting into this.

Believe it or not you can be wrong about your asessments.
that makes NO sense. I almost speechless at it's stupidity.
moving on... you could disagree with my assessment, but that would require you to have an actual opinion of your own, wouldn't it?