HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boyes to Buffalo

Old
02-28-2011, 01:24 AM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
Using assets to acquire players who will be around/under contract for the duration of this so called 3 year cup quest. That means younger players (21-25) who can complement the Myers/Ennis/Miller core.

In the meantime, I have no problems beefing up the offense in the short term. I want to see us make the playoffs and hopefully win a round as much as anybody else. I doubt we can do against Philly or Boston (my predictions for the #1, #2 seeds), but my heart is 100% behind this team.
They can resign Boyes and he would only be 31 in 3yrs. They don't have to just trade for young guys signed for the next 3yrs.

This trade is a low risk move with a potential for a high reward. The beauty of it is if it doesn't work out. You're only on the hook for next eyar.

Btw sorrying for jumping on you like that. No need for it.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 01:26 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghills23 View Post
Mendola said Blues fans said that this would be for Boyes if he was in the all star target competition.

Thats pretty good

Old
02-28-2011, 01:26 AM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

I don't like that 5 of our top 6 forwards right now are righties (Boyes, Poms, Staff, Timmy and Vanek). It's harder for players to make plays when they all play the same hand. I think a deal with Dallas would be a good idea. We give them a top six RW since they seem to not have a top 6 rightie right now, and they give us a left handed top 6 center. Maybe something around Ribeiro for Connolly + picks/prospects? Or maybe a deal centered around Stafford and Richards? (We'd have to add, of course)

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 01:31 AM
Metssabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelForbin View Post
Have to see how he fits in with the team first, but at first glance this was an excellent trade by Regier. He picked up a top-six forward with 30 goal and 70 point potential for a pick that might not even turn into an NHL player.

Agreed 100 percent. Two years ago, he would have commanded 2-3 firsts with a prospect. I thought, when announced, it was a 2nd plus Sekera or Brennan. This is the knid of deal Darcy predicted and it is well worth the shot!

Metssabres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 01:34 AM
boots electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
every major component of their games is similar... in fact... if two days ago, you asked me who the most comparable NHL veteran to Tim Connolly was... i would've said Boyes
i watched boyes mumerous times playing for both the bruins and the blues and have not once gotten any sort of connolly vibe from him. connolly has always been much more of a dangler, boyes has always been more of a shooter.

boots electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 01:37 AM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
that makes NO sense. I almost speechless at it's stupidity.
moving on... you could disagree with my assessment, but that would require you to have an actual opinion of your own, wouldn't it?
Even if we take as true your opinion that Boyes and Connolly play a similar style (which I have not seen from Boyes in limited viewing), can we at least admit that Boyes is simply playing far better hockey than Connolly at this point in time?

jflory81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 01:39 AM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

I love this move but we shouldn't be done. We have had too many forwards slouching it this year. There seems to be some issue with offensive depth and chemistry. Then again Roy has been out and we lost pominville for a month to start the season.

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 01:47 AM
Metssabres

Agreed as well. Stastny would be the icing on the cake. Interesting to see how busy Darcy is... This deal is a low risk, high reward start.

Metssabres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 01:52 AM
joshjull

Quote:
that makes NO sense. I almost speechless at it's stupidity.
moving on... you could disagree with my assessment, but that would require you to have an actual opinion of your own, wouldn't it?
Whats so hard to understand?

The arguement over Boyes = Connolly is premature.

You telling us Boyes = Connolly doesn't make it fact.

You do realize the absurdity of you creating the premise that they are the same type of player. Then begin to attack posters based on this premise you created.

Many on here see many of the current roster in a very dfferent light than you do. So its really not hard to imagine they may view Boyes in a different light than you do. I know I already do.

In other words there is none of the irony you think is out there if the posters in question see no parallels between them.

Last edited by joshjull: 02-28-2011 at 02:13 AM.
Old
02-28-2011, 01:55 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1664
Quote:
Originally Posted by boots electric View Post
i watched boyes mumerous times playing for both the bruins and the blues and have not once gotten any sort of connolly vibe from him. connolly has always been much more of a dangler, boyes has always been more of a shooter.
I agree. Their career assists to goal ratio bear that out.

Boyes 1.31
Connolly 2.35

Boyes actually had a season where he recorded almost twice as many goals as assist. That will never happen with Connolly. Boyes is a frustrated finisher and Connolly is a frustrated playmaker.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 01:56 AM
Dark Knight
We The North !!

I have a feeling Boyes will work out well for you guys.

Good luck in your quest.

02-28-2011, 01:57 AM
WoahBoy
Uhmmmmm....SECHS!

I won't complain since it's for a 2nd rounder (I'm believing that over a 3rd), but his inconsistency to stick anywhere and play up to par for what he's capable of doing has me worried that he could be a head case, and I could easily seeing him going into the Ruff House on any given moment, ala Thomas Vanek or anyone of the like from years ago. We'll start here I guess, waiting to see what's yet to come.

WoahBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 01:58 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Well, unless Boyes gets to his 07-08 self, I'm underwhelmed.

Boyes is just... More of the same. Not too impressed with the move, don't think he fits any real need (especially considering he's been struggling like hell for 2 years now).

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 01:58 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

And if this acquisition is the only one until after July 1st did Darcy fail? This is a good pickup especially for the price and length. He will probably (next year) drive alot of fans nuts, but it would be nice if he settled into a 50-60 point player next year. If not he is just a bridge to a future improvement.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 02:08 AM
funkymag77

Darcy will wake up possessed in the middle of the night tonight.. "must... recover..2nd round..pick"... make a deal ex: Connolly for a 2nd rounder.. he will then immediately return to bed and sleep for the rest of the trade deadline.

funkymag77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 02:12 AM
The Big Chill

Send a message via AIM to The Big Chill
Brad Boyes is way better than Tim Connolly. That much I know. I am more than thrilled that we got him for a 2nd round pick.

The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 02:18 AM
The Big Chill

Send a message via AIM to The Big Chill
It will be interesting to see if Carolina or the Rangers will counter by adding more offense as well.

The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 02:31 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit72 View Post
Anyone have the scouting report on Boyes? What's his game like?
Quote:
The optimistic view of the Buffalo Sabres' trade for St. Louis Blues forward Brad Boyes(notes) on Sunday night, costing them a second-round pick in the 2011 NHL Draft, is that he's shown a penchant for dynamic offense when paired with the right linemates.

Skating mostly with Paul Kariya(notes) and Keith Tkachuk(notes) in 2007-08, he potted 43 goals; the next season, he scored 33 skating with David Backes(notes).

The cynical view of Brad Boyes will become apparent after about two minutes of conversation with a Blues fan.

Boyes has frustrated fans and management for two seasons now and for the better part of those years fans would have been happy to see him move on to a different team. Only no other team wanted an overpaid, underachieving winger who can backcheck but doesn't do a lot else when he's not scoring.

Now, of course, Boyes has gotten on a hot streak and has moved up to third on the team scoring list this year. He has managed to contribute to the offense by setting players up when he's not scoring and teams looking for some depth scoring (and hoping for a jump from a change of scenery for a notoriously streaky scorer) might be willing to take a flier on Boyes, who is still under contract next year for another $4 million cap hit.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-327186

Quote:
Blues fans’ writing about Boyes seem to echo those of Sabres fans on Jason Pominville. “Overpaid” and “erratic shooting” are thrown around. Fact is, I’d take most teams’ Pominville in a second. He’s a defensively-responsible player who holds his own in every area of the rink.

Finally, it’s not like this trade is a risk in any other way than financially, as Boyes makes $4.0 million next season. Plus, the Sabres may lose the same figure in Tim Connolly before the deadline, and almost certainly after the season.

When you add in the potential “money-in, money-out” approach of another potential trade coming and Craig Rivet ($3.5 mil cap hit — $1.75 mil staying with Buffalo) being claimed by Columbus, it still doesn’t say all that much about a jungle cat’s stripes changing.
http://www.nickmendola.com/bye-golly...e-starts-well/

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 02:33 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Zamboni View Post
And if this acquisition is the only one until after July 1st did Darcy fail? This is a good pickup especially for the price and length. He will probably (next year) drive alot of fans nuts, but it would be nice if he settled into a 50-60 point player next year. If not he is just a bridge to a future improvement.
Agreed - adding Boyes amounts to a bonus since it only cost a draft pick. The Sabres still have the player assets to make bigger moves if they can. Boyes may also be revived being back in the Northeast and seeing his old team 6 times a season.

Old
02-28-2011, 02:35 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metssabres View Post
Agreed as well. Stastny would be the icing on the cake. Interesting to see how busy Darcy is... This deal is a low risk, high reward start.
I think you have that backwards - if Stastny were to be acquired, he'd be the cake, the frosting and all the candles on top. Adding Boyes amounts to plastic silverware in comparison.

Old
02-28-2011, 02:44 AM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

Vanek-Connolly-Boyes

I'd love to see that line on Tuesday.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 02:50 AM
Wallachia

I really hope you guys play Boyes as the playmaker he should be and not the goal scorer we (the Blues) needed. If so, you got a hell of a deal. Always nice seeing ex-Blues going to teams I like too, good luck guys

Wallachia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 02:54 AM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

I'm cautiously excited about this. Adding talent is never bad, and from everywhere I've looked, I've never seen anything close to the word "lazy" being used to describe him.

He's a defensively sound guy who at least brings that when he's not scoring. I don't like the words "streaky" or "soft," because it sounds like something we have already, but the Connolly comparison seems a little over-played.

If I had to compare him to something, based on what I've seen and what I've read, he's a Hecht/Pominville mix. He's more talented then Jochen but less consistent than Pominville. He'll put up points, but we'll probably get frustrated when we don't see him for a five game stretch, even though he's still probably playing steady, defensively sound hockey over those games.

All that said, for a second, I love it.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:03 AM
Wallachia

Honestly, I think Boyes could potentially be a ppg player. If theres anyway to get him on a line with Vanek, I would recommend to do so. He has sick hands and a good (but incredibly inaccurate) shot. Unfortunately he makes little attempt, or just incredibly fails, to stick up for his teammates or make any attempt to forecheck or defend. It didn't help that the Blues put him in a position to fail by relying on him to be a sniper when every year, besides his 40 goal season, he has had more assists than goals.

Last edited by Wallachia: 02-28-2011 at 04:39 AM.
Wallachia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:05 AM
dire wolf
be cool

This might work out well, but I really wish we would have gotten Fisher instead.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote