HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

House, Dub Step, House-techno music anyone?

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2011, 11:44 PM
Bruins Stooge
Spread Out

vCash: 500
House, Dub Step, House-techno music anyone?

Not a frequenter to this area, but i've enjoyed the hip hop chatter. First off Mods, if in my search for a thread on this topic i missed an existing topic, please merge.

Over the past year i've really gotten into the House music scene. It's crazy how much America is blind to arguably the biggest genre of music in the world right now. I'd love to get other peoples favorites and opinions here.

Ultra Music Festival in Miami is coming up and the set list looks crazy. Not going to make it this year, but no doubt a trip to Miami will be in store for next years event.
http://www.ultramusicfestival.com/

I don't mind dubstep, Bassnectar is pretty solid, but i'm more of a House guy.

For me it's
1) Swedish House Mafia
2) Avicii
3) Chuckie or Max Vangeli and AN21

With others of course. Not sure how much popularity this thread is going to gain here, but i know there are many Americans out there that enjoy House music, but also a solid population on the boards from Foreign countries where House music is Supreme.

If you don't like House, watch this . . .

and not new but never gets old

Old
02-27-2011, 11:54 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
I'm all about the dubsteps when it comes to concerts. There are no shows more fun than these: Trashy raver girls scantily clad and dancing like maenads and people handing out drugs like candy.

Old
02-27-2011, 11:57 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
I feel a sticky is in order?

Where we could just continually add stuff we like? It'd be a nice way to find new music. There seems to be enough popularity in this genre.

02-27-2011, 11:58 PM
Bruins Stooge
Spread Out

[QUOTE=brtriad;31294934]I'm all about the dubsteps when it comes to concerts. There are no shows more fun than these: Trashy raver girls scantily clad and dancing like maenads and people handing out drugs like candy.

Haven't heard of the first video you posted, but familiar with the following two artists

Hold On by Rusko is a great song. This remix is a personal favorite.

Bassnectar is phenomenal as well. Timestretch (the song off the same titled album), is another great song.

I have a couple subs in my jeep, so Dub Step is a fun driving music as i'm sure you can imagine haha.

Old
02-27-2011, 11:59 PM
Bruins Stooge
Spread Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
I feel a sticky is in order?

Where we could just continually add stuff we like? It'd be a nice way to find new music. There seems to be enough popularity in this genre.
Sounds good to me!

Old
02-28-2011, 12:02 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
And as a guy who's new to the genre, Swedish House Mafia is currently a favorite.

So any more tracks you can provide which are similar to theirs would be greatly appreciated!

Old
02-28-2011, 12:12 AM
Bruins Stooge
Spread Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
And as a guy who's new to the genre, Swedish House Mafia is currently a favorite.

So any more tracks you can provide which are similar to theirs would be greatly appreciated!
Here's some more of my favorites, however the two i posted above are by far the tops for me.

[/YT]4fRZNkE5zp0[/YT]

I could keep going on, lol. Avicii is a new favorite of mine. His real name is Tim Berg and he goes by that sometimes. Afrojack is solid, as well as of course Tiesto. Swedish House Mafia it seems always comes out with high quality hits. Anything by them as a group, or their members individually is usually pretty solid.

Old
02-28-2011, 12:17 AM
The Face Pincher*

Skrillex all the way

Old
02-28-2011, 12:19 AM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

02-28-2011, 12:43 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

1. Skrillex
2. Rusko
3. Bassnectar
4. Excision
5. Datsik

Old
02-28-2011, 01:12 AM
Benny Lava

Avicii's Essential Mix mix is great if you're looking for some newer progressive house, including one of my current favorites:

You can find the whole mix with a quick Google search.

I usually find new tracks by checking Beatport and listening to new mixes and compilations. Ministry of Sound compilations are a good starting point, look for their Clubber's Guide and Annual comps. Some of their other compilations are pretty ****** though, so keep a discerning ear for stuff you like.

Old
02-28-2011, 01:18 AM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Not a big fan of dubstep, it's playable in very select moods but on the whole it's trash.

Steve Angello and Axwell are truly great "commercial" DJs. Sweet Disposition (axwell mix), Knas, Rave'n'Roll, Teenage Crime (axwell mix), Leave the world behind, In the air (axwell mix), etc.

Deadmau5 is on another level with his music, Strobe is one of the most complete songs ever produced, in any genre.

Afrojack, Wolfgang Gartner and Markus Schulz are other great DJs in House, Electro and Trance respectively. Armin Van Buuren is good, but not for me. Teisto sounds terrible imo, but whatever, millions of people like his sound.

Bloody Beetroots bring another style of euro-electro to the scene, they're very hit-or-miss but on the whole really cool. Steve Aoki is a great DJ in that he brings a West Coast flavor to a mostly euro-style Electro scene, his concerts are great too. Calvin Harris is a personal favorite, he's a little more poppy in that he has lyrics and verses but he has some absolutely killer tracks. I'm Not Alone, Flashback, You Used to Hold Me, etc.

In summary, I recommend.

Prog-House: Deadmau5
House: Steve Angello, Axwell, Calvin Harris, Afrojack
Electro: Bloody Beetroots, Wolfgang Gartner, Steve Aoki
Trance: Markus Schulz

Honorable Mentions: Avicii, Dirty South, Laidback Luke, Sidney Samson

Wolfgang and Deadmau5 have experimented with dubstep, but skrillex is pretty much the "best" live dubstep DJ.

David Guetta is into a whole different scene, he's more EDM inspired pop than EDM but some of his songs are really fun. Memories feat Kid Cudi is a perpetual track on my list.

PS: I've seen all of the people on this list live except Axwell and Deadmau5. Seeing Afrojack in two weeks. Deadmau5 as soon as I land in Ibiza this summer.

There are associated acts, like AN21 and whatnot. You'll get into them very quickly if you just listen and follow through with what you enjoy. You should look into going to these concerts because they're all amazing, the only one I didn't enjoy 100% was Erol Alkan but even then I had a good time.

In the below paragraph, I'm not advocating drugs at all just informing.

If you *have* to do drugs at the concerts try asking a friendly bartender instead of a random guy hanging out; some people bring in caffeine pills and rip you off. Worse yet, if you get caught, you get kicked out too. Ecstasy is (supposed to be) MDMA+Speed, MDMA is Ecstasy without the Speed. There's a difference, it depends on people you ask but basically MDMA is much less "WHOA LETS DANCE FOR 12 HOURS LMAO!!!1", since the Speed kicks your brain into overdrive. Some people take Ketamine and basically float away - it's a sedative and not at all like MDMA or Ecstasy. Always know what you're taking and it's supposed effects before you do anything.

Remember you don't need drugs to have a good time!

Last edited by WhiskeySeven: 02-28-2011 at 01:28 AM.
Old
02-28-2011, 01:30 AM
Benny Lava

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
skrillex is pretty much the "best" live dubstep DJ.
Oh jeez. Skrillex is a good producer who does what he does very well, which is make the poppy dubstep that the club scene loves right now. But to say he's the best live dubstep DJ is the farthest thing from the truth. To be completely honest, he's not a good DJ. But he's only been DJing for a couple years, so it's not to say he doesn't have it in him to be a good DJ, he's just not right now. Take this vid as an example:

He's not even using decks and a mixer, he's using a MacBook and a controller, probably just twiddling knobs on a pre-recorded set in Ableton. That's not even DJing, you're just a glorified iTunes playlist at that point.

Old
02-28-2011, 01:33 AM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Lava View Post
He's not even using decks and a mixer, he's using a MacBook and a controller, probably just twiddling knobs on a pre-recorded set in Ableton. That's not even DJing, you're just a glorified iTunes playlist at that point.
You haven't seen enough dubstep shows. It's unprofessional noise, they all pop open their Macbooks and twiddle around. Skrillex's sounds decent at the very least.

Want to see a real DJ master? Steve Angello played in front of me with 4 mixers and no headphones, no laptop. That's a guy who knows how to flow.

Dubstep is a fad anyway, it's barely music.

Old
02-28-2011, 01:44 AM
Benny Lava

Quote:
You haven't seen enough dubstep shows. It's unprofessional noise, they all pop open their Macbooks and twiddle around. Skrillex's sounds decent at the very least.
If anything I'd say you haven't seen enough sets if you think all the DJs are doing are twiddling knobs on a pre-recorded set. Hell, most of them don't even use laptops. It's all done on vinyl or CDJs with a mixer.

Quote:
Want to see a real DJ master? Steve Angello played in front of me with 4 mixers and no headphones, no laptop. That's a guy who knows how to flow.
I've actually seen him twice, once with SHM and once by himself. Both sets were great and had a lot of energy. I'm not sure about the no headphones thing though, since he wouldn't be able to hear his cued tracks for mixing. That'd be a sight to see, although it might not sound too good.

Old
02-28-2011, 10:47 AM
Bruins Stooge
Spread Out

Quote:

Dubstep is a fad anyway, it's barely music.
The Swedish House Mafia guys (Angello, Axwell, and Ingrosso) are all extremely professional and impressive with what they do. Then again it's all what you're in to. I saw Axwell live in NYC in November and was blown away. I hope to see Avicii in April in NYC, but i'm not so much a fan of the club he is playing at.

Laidback Luke is another guy i meant to bring up and haven't seen brought up. I believe he is out of Amsterdam. Another real solid house DJ.

I'm not huge into Dubstep, but on Deadmau5's 4X4=12 album, i liked a bunch of his songs which i thought leaned more towards the dubstep genre.

Old
02-28-2011, 11:32 AM
RightKinger

Electric Dance Music is actually getting pretty damn big here in SoCal with festivals taking place every month and sometimes twice a month, usually in San Bernardino but some in L.A. I'm pretty sure it's bigger here than it is anywhere else in the U.S.. Dubstep is growing faster than any of the house genres (electro, progressive, tech, etc).

I go to every big festival and the next one is Beyond Wonderland in March. SoCal's rival to Ultra is the Electric Daisy Carnival and that's going to be in Vegas this year. Sounds like a good ****ing time.

Old
02-28-2011, 11:42 AM
RightKinger

Oh and Laidback Luke is by far my favorite DJ (seen him three times) and it pisses me off that DeadMau5 is now the biggest representative to the EDM scene. He is a terrible guy to represent the music and the scene. I'd much rather have a guy like Steve Angello, Afrojack, Laidback Luke getting big in the U.S.

Oh and Skrillex is a sick producer maybe my favorite but he does lack in the actual DJ'ing department. I've seen him live and loved his set but all he did was play his best tracks and mix in some really popular dubstep (Up in the Club, Hold on (Subfocus remix), etc.). He would try to extend some build-ups and tweak a few drops but I would always be thinking to myself please let the song just play through because it would be somewhat annoying when he would try these things. Like Benny Lava said though he is pretty new to DJ'ing so I'm sure he'll get better and fast because he is hot **** right now, getting booked for a bunch of events.

Old
02-28-2011, 01:10 PM
Steven

Outside of Skrillex and Feed Me, I don't really like a whole lot of it. But that Feed Me EP is so good. If anyone here is into that mau5trap/Skrillex type of sound, check out Feed Me, you won't be disappointed.

Old
02-28-2011, 04:36 PM
Buddio
CFC

vCash: 900
Skrillex is the ****.

Deadmau5 is alright, alot of it is insanely repetitive tho.

Old
02-28-2011, 05:32 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
Electro House, Dub-step, Trance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
02-28-2011, 06:45 PM
WickedWrister

This is like reading another language

Old
02-28-2011, 09:11 PM
Jiri Bicek
Rusty Shackleford

Send a message via AIM to Jiri Bicek
I was never into any of this music until I started going to shows.. Started with a unique experience at Day Glow, then it took off from there..Such an awesome experience with this music live..Doesn't even compare when listening to it on the computer..I usually don't get hooked on a song, until after I hear them live.

In the past couple months I've seen Steve Angello, Sebastian Ingrosso(x2), Avicii, Laidback Luke, Axwell, Chuckie, Afrojack(x2), Deadmau5, Paul Oakenfold, and going to see Tiesto in April.

^Ingrosso at Webster Hall is prob at the top of my list

Swedish House Mafia is definitely my favorite, followed by Afrojack.. Deadmau5 was just a different experience.. Crazy light show and base so thick it felt like you had a midget punching you in the stomach

Last edited by Jiri Bicek: 02-28-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old
02-28-2011, 10:43 PM
Bruins Stooge
Spread Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightKinger View Post
Electric Dance Music is actually getting pretty damn big here in SoCal with festivals taking place every month and sometimes twice a month, usually in San Bernardino but some in L.A. I'm pretty sure it's bigger here than it is anywhere else in the U.S.. Dubstep is growing faster than any of the house genres (electro, progressive, tech, etc).

I go to every big festival and the next one is Beyond Wonderland in March. SoCal's rival to Ultra is the Electric Daisy Carnival and that's going to be in Vegas this year. Sounds like a good ****ing time.
Thats awesome to here. There's a festival in CT called The Gathering of the Vibes every year. Used to just be a real hippy fest, however more and more they've started bringing dj's in and for the late night shows alot more House music being played. Had a real solid reception.

I'd love to check out a big strictly house festival. NYC gets some big names at places like Pacha and Webster hall.

I'm going to be away this year but next year no question i'm going to Ultra in Miami. Swedish House Mafia's thing at Masquerade Hotel looks absolutely nuts.

Old
02-28-2011, 11:00 PM
Bruins Stooge
Spread Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Bicek View Post
I was never into any of this music until I started going to shows.. Started with a unique experience at Day Glow, then it took off from there..Such an awesome experience with this music live..Doesn't even compare when listening to it on the computer..I usually don't get hooked on a song, until after I hear them live.

In the past couple months I've seen Steve Angello, Sebastian Ingrosso(x2), Avicii, Laidback Luke, Axwell, Chuckie, Afrojack(x2), Deadmau5, Paul Oakenfold, and going to see Tiesto in April.

^Ingrosso at Webster Hall is prob at the top of my list

Swedish House Mafia is definitely my favorite, followed by Afrojack.. Deadmau5 was just a different experience.. Crazy light show and base so thick it felt like you had a midget punching you in the stomach

That's awesome all the shows you've seen. How was Day Glow, i'm not far from it so i may go check it out. One of my buddies was telling me about it and said it's pretty intense.

That Nillionaire song i just youtube'd, only a preview so far but that's going to be a banger once the full release comes out.

Closed Thread