HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How Long Does Mats Zuccarello Get a Pass From NYR fans ?

Old
02-28-2011, 07:13 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 500
The Zucc Step Wolski line has been the best line out there lately.

The whole damn team hasn't been scoring throughout 2011, why are we singling out the rookie?

If he's scoring on the PP only....good...at least someone is, the ****ing PP has been abysmal you wanna send him down and make it worse...seriously?

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 07:15 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
The Zucc Step Wolski line has been the best line out there lately.

The whole damn team hasn't been scoring throughout 2011, why are we singling out the rookie?

If he's scoring on the PP only....good...at least someone is, the ****ing PP has been abysmal you wanna send him down and make it worse...seriously?
We're sending down Zuccarello, scratching Anisimov, trading Gaborik, and dumping Christensen.

If we get our way, we'll be dressing 10 man squads by the end of the year.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 07:21 PM
HockeyBurd*

I don't think he's getting a pass. There just isn't anybody to replace him. He has been instrumental in several points in the standings. If they squeeze into the playoffs, he will be a huge part of getting those points that did it. And that plays a major factor in his perceived value for the rest of the season.

He's not a major point producer. He most likely never will be. But at this moment, there isn't exactly any better options. If there were, he wouldn't be here.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 07:24 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Some of the threads going on right now are insane. This is one of them.

Yeah let's bring Dale Weise in here... cuz you know... he's really skilled. If it wasn't for MZA, we might not be in the playoffs as of today. PERIOD.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 07:28 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

I view the team with standard sports psychological reason.

If you aren't putting up points on the board, at least be using your legs and head and contributing in other ways. It is clear that MZA is meeting these requirements.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 07:29 PM
Killem Dafoe
give me the formuoli

vCash: 50
he does a bunch of other stuff. the whole team is snake bitten so can't really single him out. hes got great IQ and vision for the pass. hes a set up guy and a damn good one. now only if we had guys who could score.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 07:32 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
I love Prucha, I even admit to wanting to claim him off waivers this year, lol, but your comparing two completely different players whos ONLY similarity is their size.

Prucha was a goal scorer and nothing else, if he isn't scoring, he isn't really useful.

MZA is a playmaker, he makes people around him better (or should I say his creativity with the puck makes his linemate slives easier). Him chipping in goals will be a bonus. As long as he's collecting assists he's an asset. Especially on a team that lacks playmakers. Add to that the fact he hustles and forchecks and backchecks tenaciously, and I think he's a very useful player.
wait what? prucha and MZA, two perimeter players of smallish size that attempt to not be perimeter only players, and try and play physical on each shift. both players are mostly useful for their puck control and offensive production abilities. MZA was most certainly a sniper in SEL, and Prucha was at least as good a playmaker as MZA.

My whole point was, we've already had a better version of MZA on our team. The kid might cut himself out a nice little NHL career, but players like Stepan already have far superior play making skills, and he doesn't have speed nor size.

MZA should get props for hard work, strong shifts, and determination. But he's not going to become a production part of this team.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 07:37 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
It is clear that MZA is meeting these requirements.
Yup, his fore-checking has been good... His back checking is good, he finishes his checks... You definitely don't question his effort from shift to shift...

Whole team hasn't been scoring much over the last 2 months... These days we're lucky if we score more than 2 goals on any given game.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 07:57 PM
Dorado*

Mza makes the same passes to a Stamkos , Lecavalier , Couture , iginla or even a PA P or Matt Moulson they bury a lot of one timers I bet . When was the last time we had a player blow a one timer in ? I can't remember I'm talking a pure blow it by the goalie shot ? MZA has played his role well . IMO his line has generated most chances yet none of them is a pure goal scorer . Put a pure shooter with MZA and he would have about 5-7 more points . We hqve guys who can bang in loose pucks but rarely beat a goalie with quick shots , Gaborik included lately

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:02 PM
JeffMangum
I'm v

I don't think he gets a "free pass" because he doesn't need one. He's one of only a few players on this roster that adds an influx of high-end talent to a line. He does a bunch of other little things as well, and he's still a player opposing defenders need to focus on, even if he isn't scoring.

I don't see how you can complain about the guy, he's played fairly well in each game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
We're sending down Zuccarello, scratching Anisimov, trading Gaborik, and dumping Christensen.

If we get our way, we'll be dressing 10 man squads by the end of the year.
Nah, we'll trade Gaborik for 3 goons and then we can roll 4 4th lines and rack up PIMs instead of goals.

02-28-2011, 08:12 PM
Wolfy*
The Hobbit Rules!

You want this team to score goals don't you? And you want to send down a player who has 16 points in 29 games?? Jeez..

Wolfy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:15 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Agree that Zuccarello has been trying hard and is not a major part of the problem.

Disagree with the notion popping up that hes some sort of top end talent right now.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:24 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

I didn't realize that rookies should be subject to the idea of getting a "pass"

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:34 PM
NYR Viper

Its not always just points. He creates opportunities and the one area where we all thought he may be weak at, the physical game, has not been a problem thus far.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:35 PM
JeffMangum
I'm v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Agree that Zuccarello has been trying hard and is not a major part of the problem.

Disagree with the notion popping up that hes some sort of top end talent right now.
Why? It's true, he's a top-5 player on this team in terms of raw talent, which the Rangers obviously have a major shortage of.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:53 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
Why? It's true, he's a top-5 player on this team in terms of raw talent, which the Rangers obviously have a major shortage of.
A (borderline) top 5 talent on a team completely devoid of talent is nothing to write home about.

Just because he looks like a talent on this team, doesnt mean hes one by typical NHL standards.

The jury is still out on him - its still an adjustment period for him as its pretty obvious hes having trouble finding space on the smaller NA rinks.

Like so many arguments, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Doesnt make sense to say Zuccarello is getting a pass implying hes playing poorly, but also doesnt make sense to use his "talent" as some sort of justification - its not as eye-popping as this thread might make one believe.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:59 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
A (borderline) top 5 talent on a team completely devoid of talent is nothing to write home about.

Just because he looks like a talent on this team, doesnt mean hes one by typical NHL standards.

The jury is still out on him - its still an adjustment period for him as its pretty obvious hes having trouble finding space on the smaller NA rinks.

Like so many arguments, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Doesnt make sense to say Zuccarello is getting a pass implying hes playing poorly, but also doesnt make sense to use his "talent" as some sort of justification - its not as eye-popping as this thread might make one believe.
Agreed with the 3rd and 4th parts.

This team has solid talent, just not solid prime talent (read as "in their prime").

I think this guy has earned his spot on the NHL roster. As a semi-rebuilding team, we can afford to keep him there. If this team was trying to be a contender right now, then he should be in the AHL (Brayden Schenn is, after all). The reason he stays is because of his work ethic and his developing talent and the overall philosophy of this organization at this current moment regarding it's young players.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 09:00 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
1. yes we are watching the same games. if he's so creative right now how come he has gone 16 games without scoring in the NHL.

Bottom line is production especially for a guy who's only reason to be here is to put pucks in the net.

I think MZA needs to be in Connecticut to develop his game not learning on the fly in the NHL. Especially when he is here to score and doesn't.

You are making a comparison to other players on the team. I'm asking you a rookie who goes 16 games without scoring may not belong on any NHL club no less the Rangers.

I'm sure plenty of players on the Whale can go 16 games without scoring a goal.

He is strong on the puck and works hard. He is a very likeable player and I want him to succeed.

But how long is he absolved from any criticism ?
Who said he's here to score goals? I don't know where you're getting this idea from but its false and thats probably a lot of the reason that he's disappointing you. He's primarily a passer. He's not only here to put pucks in the net at all. He's here to be creative and make plays that nobody else on this team could or would make.

The idea that other guys on the Whale can go 16 games without a goal is a really, really weak argument. What does that even mean? If you think literally anybody on the Whale can do what MZA has been doing so far this season you should keep that to yourself because that displays a huge amount of ignorance.

He's on pace to score 40+ points over an 82 game season. Thats very normal for a rookie. He's not even just a rookie, he's a 23 year old undrafted rookie who has played on North American ice for less than a year. Common, he's doing fine.

haveandare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 09:19 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Drury had 20 game goal scoring droughts in each of his first 3 seasons with the NYR... He had one this year too... Dubinsky IIRC has had a goal scoring drought of a similar length as well in his career.

Last edited by wolfgaze: 02-28-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old
02-28-2011, 09:29 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Drury had 20 game goal scoring droughts in each of his first 3 seasons with the NYR... He had one this year too... Dubinsky IIRC has had a goal scoring drought of a similar length as well....
Add MZA's fellow rookie teammate Stepan to the list... he had an 18-game goal scoring drought after his hat trick on opening night.

It's not unusual at all for rookies or 2nd year players to go through droughts like this. Some people are acting as if a rookie having an up-and-down season with regards to production is unacceptable. It's pretty apparent that there are a bunch of fans out there who aren't willing to accept the growing pains that go along with having a young team.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 09:37 PM
JeffMangum
I'm v

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Add MZA's fellow rookie teammate Stepan to the list... he had an 18-game goal scoring drought after his hat trick on opening night.
Yep. Anisimov going about 11 games without a goal as well. Taylor Hall taking I believe 7 games to score his 1st NHL goal.

Quote:
It's not unusual at all for rookies or 2nd year players to go through droughts like this. Some people are acting as if a rookie having an up-and-down season with regards to production is unacceptable. It's pretty apparent that there are a bunch of fans out there who aren't willing to accept the growing pains that go along with having a young team.
Probably the most accurate post in this thread. Some of these "fans" are just so damn impatient. McKenzie put it best during TradeCentre today; why would the Rangers trade for Richards when they're at step 2 of a 5 step building process, i.e.: inserting and consistently playing younger, homegrown players in favor of veterans. We're not sitting Anisimov, we're not demoting Zuccarello. These are players that need, and deserve important playing time.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 09:44 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
Yep. Anisimov going about 11 games without a goal as well.

Currently a 5 game drought for AA... He scored vs. LA. But he's definitely had his longer duration droughts in his first 2 seasons.

Old
02-28-2011, 09:52 PM
TrueBlueNorwegian

I completely disagree with the mouth. Not because im Norwegian, but for the simple fact that the Wolski-Step-Zucc line consistently is the most creative line on the Rangers, and as mentioned already in this thread, they create offensive chances almost ever shift.
If Mats' teammates would have been more aware on the ice and actually capitalize on his world class passes and being at the net when he fires shots from all over, he would have had a lot more points. I think this kid has done just fine, and its beyond me how people are starting to pick on HIM! Pick on Gaborik, Drury, Avery etc. Those are the veteran guys that do jack **** on the ice for this team!
We have been screaming for years that the Rangers need to start playing the kids, and when they give a guy like Mats a shot with the big club, people are still complaining! I just dont get it.

Now im gonna put on my sandals, head back to the beautiful beaches in Thailand. Currently on vacation, but I had to squeeze in some HFboards in between the beers and the cocktails with straw hats

TrueBlueNorwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:28 PM
levski87

Zucca isn't that great and his passing is way over-rated. I still think he needs to improve on his skating for a little guy. He really isn't that agile as I would expect him to be.

On the other hand, its his first year and he's still putting up points. The jury is still out on him, but I think he really needs to fix his skating.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:23 AM
johnnydollaz89*
7 More Wins!!

Send a message via AIM to johnnydollaz89*
MZA will always have a pass from me hes one of my favorite Rangers, has been a favorite player of mine since before we signed him

johnnydollaz89* is offline   Reply With Quote