HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

If you could choose one

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2004, 04:28 PM
Habsaku

vCash: 500
My heart is torn between my two favorite players. But I have to say Lemieux, not being able to lace your skates at 20 years old and yet dominate like he did... I cant even imagine what he couldve done healthy. This guy played with two broken hands in a playoff game and scored two goals. He wouldve beaten everyone of Gretzkys records and like some other poster said, he wouldnt have embarassed Canada by doing ford and Mcdonald commercials.

Old
07-02-2004, 05:31 PM
jiggs 10

Easily Bobby Orr. Then Mike Bossy, who STILL had a fabulous career, and was the best goal scorer of modern times until his last season. Imagine AVERAGING 57 goals a season for 10 years! And in the late 70's/early 80's, before the Oilers' style of run-and-gun ruled the day.

I also agree with the choice of Pat Lafontaine. He was the premier American player at the time of his multiple concussions (sorry Modano fans, but it's true), and one of the very best puckhandlers of our time.

Ditto on Vlady Konstantinov. He may have been brutal to play against, but to have something like that happen to anyone is not good.

Old
07-02-2004, 07:23 PM
littleHossa

I think that pure goal scorers like Bossy or Bure are very likely to have career ending injury, they're the most exciting players but rarely do you ever see them play 20 seasons with a chance to score 40 everytime.
I'd like to see Bobby Orr play for 20 seasons, the NHL was really tough back in his time, on top of being the greatest defenseman of all time and possibly the best player ever, he was very tough and knew how to fight, Lemieux or Gretzky wouldn't of lasted in his era.

Old
07-02-2004, 07:40 PM
X0ssbar

I'll put my vote in for Neely - I just loved the way this guy played the game. Damn that Ulf Samuelson!

Old
07-02-2004, 07:53 PM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon
Vladimir Konstantinov.

Old
07-02-2004, 08:13 PM
Teemu

I thought of another... does Pelle Lindbergh count?

Old
07-02-2004, 08:19 PM
puckstrike2k

Send a message via AIM to puckstrike2k
Cam Neely all the way, he was the heart and soul of the Bruins and always played hard no matter what. I wish his career wasn't cut short. Although he did play a funny part in "Dumb & Dumber" as Sea Bass.

Old
07-02-2004, 08:29 PM
revolverjgw

Orr. Probably the best hockey player ever, even on tattered, shattered knees. He was on a near 100 point pace even in one of his seasons with the Hawks! God knows what he could have done if he was properly operating legs underneath him.

Last edited by revolverjgw: 07-03-2004 at 01:59 AM.
Old
07-02-2004, 09:36 PM
PEli*

Orr. IMO, the greatest player to ever lace up skates. I would have loved to have been alive to see him play live. It would have been unbelievable.

Cam Neely would have been my second choice but then we'd have been deprived of his wicked appearances in Dumb and Dumber and that other Jim Carrey flick.

Old
07-02-2004, 10:35 PM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
My heart is torn between my two favorite players. But I have to say Lemieux, not being able to lace your skates at 20 years old and yet dominate like he did... I cant even imagine what he couldve done healthy. This guy played with two broken hands in a playoff game and scored two goals. He wouldve beaten everyone of Gretzkys records and like some other poster said, he wouldnt have embarassed Canada by doing ford and Mcdonald commercials.
Gimme a break!!! When did Lemieux ever play with two broken hands? I just have to laugh when some of you young'uns start making things up!

Old
07-02-2004, 10:45 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Bobby Orr.

Old
07-02-2004, 10:46 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Orr. He was a nasty sob when it was needed and could rack up the points like it was nobody's business. Plus, the brilliance of what he could do what awesome. If you haven't seen it, track down a clip of him being hauled down by the North Stars on a breakaway. He winds up on his rear with the puck in front of him. As he is sliding, he brings the puck behind his back, shielding it from the defenseman and passes it backhanded through another defenseman's skates onto the TAPE of Pie McKenzie who scores easily. What's amazing is that it looks so deliberate when Orr does it.

While it's "only" an assist, I think its one of the greatest plays ever made in any sport.

After that, I'll take 66. 99? Yeah sure, but what if he played for Hartford...

Sometimes, in hockey and in life "It's better to burn out than to fade away."

Old
07-02-2004, 10:49 PM
Til the End of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Ah...completely disagree! Perhaps an argument can be made in Bobby's case but definately not in Mario's case. Everybody knows that Mario never had the love for the game that the other two had and he was involved with all sorts of 'extra curricular' off ice activities...including being in the same room as Dan Quinn when he r-a-p-e-d a girl!!! And names like Tippet, Stevens, etc keep popping up around Lemieux...

You can argue that Lemieux was more naturally physically gifted than perhaps ALL others in history but, no, Lemieux would never have surpassed Gretzky in numbers, coming through in the clutch, consistancy, and in overall greatness.

Actually, if you use this argument of physical ailment, then you can argue that if that little @#$ Gary Suter didn't take out Wayne with that viscious cross check to the back and into the boards in '91 Canada Cup, Wayne would have gone on to greater heights!!! Because Wayne was never the same after that!!!

And to make matters worse, that same little !#@@ Gary Suter did pretty much the same thing all over again to little Paul Kariya, who was arguably the BEST player in the world at that time...and once again, as you can PLAINLY see by how he plays now, Kariya has never been the same after that either! Because prior to that hit, there were a couple seasons when Kariya flat out put his entire no-talent team on his small little back and carried them into the playoffs all by his lonesome! This guy could have turned out to be something really special if he was healthy...at least to the level of Forberg and Jagr and pretty likely greater...because even though younger than both, Kariya was playing at arguable higher level than these two at the time of the Suter hit.

So what am I trying to say? Perhaps the most important part of being great comes from being consistant. You cannot be consistant if you are unhealthy. Greatness comes from many, many factors all falling into place together at the same time.

And simply that Wayne Gretzky was the greatest hockey player of all time and neither Bobby Orr nor Mario Lemieux will ever change that! Perhaps one of the new kids may...Sidney Crosby? Ily Kovachuk? Rick Nash? Maybe, but I doubt it...
And when did Mario ever witness a ****?

As far as Gretzky being the greatest, ok that is fine. But the thread isn't asking who is the greatest. It is asking who would be the greatest player had they been injury free. I don't think it's that crazy to think Lemieux could have been the greatest ever.

Old
07-03-2004, 12:10 AM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
wow, i can't decide. As a Habs fan, obviously Koivu. As a hockey fan, Lemieux, Orr, Neely, Lindbergh, Lindros...too many. Looking at this list really shows you that things can change any minute, but injuries are part of the game. Let's just use this as a hope that these types of injuries come few and far between for the NHL players of today and those to come.

*tear*

Old
07-03-2004, 12:11 AM
Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time
But the thread isn't asking who is the greatest. It is asking who would be the greatest player had they been injury free.
Actually, its not... Its asking who you would like to have seen injury free

Old
07-03-2004, 08:30 AM
Mister Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Gimme a break!!! When did Lemieux ever play with two broken hands? I just have to laugh when some of you young'uns start making things up!
It's half right, not two but one. It was in the playoffs against the Rangers. He's talking about the slash Adam Graves gave Mario, when he tried to take him out of the series. It didn't work, Mario came back and destroyed them.

Last edited by Mister Hockey: 07-03-2004 at 09:21 AM.
Old
07-03-2004, 09:22 AM
craig1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Hockey
It's half right, not two but one. It was in the playoffs against the Rangers. He's talking about the slash Adam Graves gave Mario, when he tried to take him out of the series. It didn't work, Mario came back and destoyed them.
Right on this account. 91-92 Pens-Rangers series. I beleive it was the secound round. Joey Mullen was taken out with a neck injury that year too.

Old
07-03-2004, 10:05 AM
Zoo

1. Mario

2. Lindros

3. Neely

4. Orr

5. Lafontine

6. Konstantinov

Old
07-03-2004, 10:26 AM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Mario.... injury free for all his carreer!!!

Pittburgh would probably doesnt have that big of a $ problem. Some big players would still be with him right now. And you would probably still putting up 100-120 points a year right now... He's a point a game player with Rico Fata I mean!

Gretzky is an immensively great player but no doubt Mario would be on top in many many categories.

Old
07-03-2004, 11:46 AM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu08
Eric Lindros
Couldn't agree more. The fact that no one else is mentioning him proves they've already forgotten just how good he was in the beginning of his NHL career.

Old
07-03-2004, 11:49 AM
eddy

Bobby Orr after him i'd have to go with my favorite player Saku Koivu. But definetly Orr first because it's a real shame a guy of his talent had to retire so young.

Old
07-03-2004, 11:49 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySteve
Couldn't agree more. The fact that no one else is mentioning him proves they've already forgotten just how good he was in the beginning of his NHL career.
and the fact that Forsberg has about 8 times as many votes as him in the 1991 draft thread..

Old
07-03-2004, 11:52 AM
Burnaby_Joe*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad
and the fact that Forsberg has about 8 times as many votes as him in the 1991 draft thread..
Or the fact that you voted for Naslund in the same thread. :lol

Old
07-03-2004, 12:11 PM
bossy22

Some consideration for Mike Bossy please......

It would have been nice to watch him for 15 - 20 years instead of the 10 years he played. Had to call it quits due to a bad back caused by playing for years on an old knee injury that was never properly diagnosed or repaired. "Bad Back Bounces Bossy" was the headline in the papers when he called it quits.

He is arguably in the top 15, some say top 10, players of all time. Imagine his leagacy if he had played 10 more years. Imagine his numbers if he played the last 3 years of his career in good health. His career has been overshaddowed so much by Gretzky, that we forget how good he was. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy to have watched him for 10 years!

Nine consecutive 50 goal seasons and he had 38 in his final year.

Last edited by bossy22: 07-03-2004 at 12:31 PM.
Old
07-03-2004, 08:02 PM
David

[QUOTE=Til the End of Time]And when did Mario ever witness a ****?QUOTE]

For those of you too young to remember, do a search on Dan Quinn and Mario Lemieux...this was in the sporting headlines and main news headlines in Canada for months back in the early 90's...

Closed Thread