HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

LAK - Justin Williams signs new 4-year contract, $14.6M

Old
02-28-2011, 05:20 PM
no name

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan7hm View Post
When you have to preface your "good deal" comments with "if he can stay healthy" it's not a good deal.

Anything over 2 years with this guy is a mistake.
I understand your thinking but you are acting like Williams has some sort of chronic injury hanging over his head. He's often injured but they are all ticky tack things, not career threatening or even repeated injuries. Were talking bone brusies, fractured ribs, etc.

You can question his pain tolerence but he will live up to his contract. If Dean feels he isn't worth the cost he can easily trade him, get a pick and be out from under his contract.

With the amount of money people have gotten on the market William would have undoubtably gotten 4+ million a year for the same amount of years

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:32 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
Bad deal for Lombardi... Williams is having the classic contract-year, and with his injury history, they'll problably regret this one.
For a guy who claims to be a genius and the smartest hockey guy on HF you certainly are wrong a ton.

You do know that Williams is having the same same stats as he does every year on a per game basis. Perhaps you mean that Williams just decided that he's going to stay healthy because it's his contract year.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:34 PM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
For a guy who claims to be a genius and the smartest hockey guy on HF you certainly are wrong a ton.

You do know that Williams is having the same same stats as he does every year on a per game basis. Perhaps you mean that Williams just decided that he's going to stay healthy because it's his contract year.
I am going to steal that title from Jfried like a Somali pirate hijacks ships.

<----The new smartest man on HF and the 3rd most interesting man in the world.

Suck it uninteresting people!

p.s. I don't always drink beer. But when I do, it's not Dos Equis!

Bad Will Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:53 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
I understand your thinking but you are acting like Williams has some sort of chronic injury hanging over his head. He's often injured but they are all ticky tack things, not career threatening or even repeated injuries. Were talking bone brusies, fractured ribs, etc.

You can question his pain tolerence but he will live up to his contract. If Dean feels he isn't worth the cost he can easily trade him, get a pick and be out from under his contract.

With the amount of money people have gotten on the market William would have undoubtably gotten 4+ million a year for the same amount of years
The ticky tack injuries piece couldn't be more false. I love Justin Williams and hate that we lost him because when he's healthy, he's one of the best two way first line players in the game but he does have injury troubles with his right leg. He has had his right knee rebuilt twice with tears to both the ACL and MCL, he has also ruptured the Achilles tendon on the same leg and broken that same leg later in his career. Almost all of his substantial injuries revolve around injuries to that leg. Coming back from having your knee rebuilt twice is amazing, but given the history on that leg I wouldn't bet on it being as seamless if it happens again. It sucks so much for him that this same leg takes the majority of the injuries, but to deny it exists is to be ignorant of his history.

You can support him and wish him well as much as the next guy, but there is a difference in being hopeful that he will maintain good health and denying his medical history as irrelevant. Carolina found out the hard way when they paid him $3.5 million for 2 years ($7 million), for 69 of a possible 164 games in which he was largely ineffective.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:13 PM
Jwm1986

It comes down to this, If he plays like hes playing this year for the majority of the contract, its beyond a great deal....someone with his skill level would normally get 4.5-5 million on the open market....

Yes his injuries in the past are concerning, and he does tend to take a while before he getd back to form, but sometimes a team needs to take a risk, and thats what they did....im sure they did plenty of homework and feel confident JW is in a good frame of mind and believe that he wont suffer any serious injuries in the next 4 years....

Jwm1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:23 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Jesus. I just read this thread again with all the Kings fans saying that his injuries were isolated incidents and couldn't believe what I was reading. You guys need to do a little homework on this subject before you go around making statements like that. He ripped his knee to shreds twice on the same leg and that alone is enough for some players to call it quits when it happens twice. Even Pavel Bure, one of the greatest skaters of all time, relented to knee injuries. To make matters worse, he broke the same leg and ruptured the Achilles on the same side. Those are four legitimate injuries that all have four intensive rehabilitation and are subject to repeat with less intensive contact in the future. That has to be a concern. That also influenced the price, as was mentioned, because he's a better player than the contract numbers hash out.

Old
02-28-2011, 06:33 PM
ean

I think everyone is well aware that Justin Williams career has been riddled with injuries. What's the conclusion pertinent to this signing? Is it too much $? Too much term?

So far you've just laid out his injury history, which is obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
The biggest concern for Justin Williams is the knee. He first tore it with the Flyers and it was his ACL and MCL in 2003 and when he tore it again with Carolina 2008 again tearing both the ACL and MCL. During his recovery, he ruptured his Achilles tendon which was somewhat of an injury of compensation for the weakness in his knee. He attempted to come back too soon from rehab and participate in a distance run.

He has broken his left hand twice as well. He has also broken his leg.

I think independent of one another, those injuries wouldn't be as severe. But any time you totally tear your knee up once it's a big deal. When you do it twice, it's a huge deal. When you rupture the Achilles tendon all on the same leg, it's a tremendous deal. Then, when you break that same leg it just adds up. Justin Williams body is durable, all except for his right leg from which all his injuries in which he has missed considerable time have originated. He hasn't missed as many games as he could have, hypothetically, due to the fortunate timing of those injuries in relation to offseason recovery time.

I also still find it hilarious that butt hurt Montreal fans have trolled his wikipedia page.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:36 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
I think everyone is well aware that Justin Williams career has been riddled with injuries. What's the conclusion pertinent to this signing? Is it too much $? Too much term?

So far you've just laid out his injury history, which is obvious.
For what Williams brings to the game when he's healthy, it's far too little money. I was just commenting on the immense number of Kings fans that were dismissing his injury history as simply bad luck and isolated incidents when it couldn't be further from the truth. He has a chronic knee condition, considering it has been totally rebuilt twice, that has to be a consideration moving forward as well as other significant injuries to the same limb.

Old
02-28-2011, 06:40 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Jesus. I just read this thread again with all the Kings fans saying that his injuries were isolated incidents and couldn't believe what I was reading. You guys need to do a little homework on this subject before you go around making statements like that. He ripped his knee to shreds twice on the same leg and that alone is enough for some players to call it quits when it happens twice. Even Pavel Bure, one of the greatest skaters of all time, relented to knee injuries. To make matters worse, he broke the same leg and ruptured the Achilles on the same side. Those are four legitimate injuries that all have four intensive rehabilitation and are subject to repeat with less intensive contact in the future. That has to be a concern. That also influenced the price, as was mentioned, because he's a better player than the contract numbers hash out.
Have you watched him today? What you are describing happened in the past, years ago. He's showing today that he has recovered from those injuries, and the way they occurred weren't from him being injury prone. He just happened to have the worst luck in having the worst hockey injury any player could suffer from that kept him off the ice for a very long time, made an attempt to come back early and paid for it. Now he's learned from his mistakes, he is in better health, and it shows on the ice.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:51 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Have you watched him today? What you are describing happened in the past, years ago. He's showing today that he has recovered from those injuries, and the way they occurred weren't from him being injury prone. He just happened to have the worst luck in having the worst hockey injury any player could suffer from that kept him off the ice for a very long time, made an attempt to come back early and paid for it. Now he's learned from his mistakes, he is in better health, and it shows on the ice.
There is a marked difference between having rehabilitated and having recovered. Recovered gives the implication that the process has restored you back to "normal" so to speak as if the injury never happened. Justin Williams has successfully rehabilitated his knee twice, but it hasn't recovered. The propensity for tearing a ligament after it is torn once is dramatic and one would imagine that it goes up dramatically again once it is torn twice. Four ligaments torn in the knee in two incidents is not something that you recover from... that you can only rehabilitate. The broken leg to me is not a concern in the sense that when you break a bone it often heals back even stronger than it was prior to the first break. Knee injuries are not like that and neither are tendon tears.

As for having watched Williams play, I have done that with the Kings. He looks great out there but he is a bit slower than he was when he was in Carolina prior to the second knee tear. He's a smart player though and he's very creative. As I mentioned earlier, he's one of my favorite players in the league when he's healthy, but that does not negate his injury history.

Neither does "looking good", in a subjective evaluation without knowing what the player is feeling. Williams is a tough player and even if he was feeling the damage to his knee he would never admit it.

Justin Williams is one turn too sharp away from never playing hockey again. One more "bad luck" incident, as it has been called here, and he'd probably be advised to not return to the sport. I don't know of any professional player that has successfully rehabilitated three total rebuilds of the knee.

Old
02-28-2011, 09:26 PM
FloydTheBarber

Was he injured in the 2010 playoffs?

Why was he a healthy scratch at that time?

FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:58 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydTheBarber View Post
Was he injured in the 2010 playoffs?

Why was he a healthy scratch at that time?
He returned after breaking his leg and wasn't the same player and was made a scratch. He was rather ineffective then but bounced back strong this season.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:06 AM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Not my money, good for him.

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:20 PM
barneyg
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RStar View Post
Penner or Hemsky for just a slight bit more money?
It's really funny that Hemsky's name would pop up in a thread where the only knock on Justin Williams is his durability.

barneyg is offline   Reply With Quote