HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings 2011 Trade Deadline Thread I

Old
02-28-2011, 03:09 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
... I gotta say - I really like what Dean did here.

I like Penner as a player. Immediately he has the best shooting percentage of any player on the top lines, and he has 30-35 goal potential playing alongside Kopitar.

A top six of:

Penner-Kopitar-Simmonds
Smyth-Stoll-Williams

with Brown on the third line looks pretty good to me for sure.

I wasn't all too impressed with Teubert, and the defensive depth of the team is strong, so I'm good with that as well.

The first rounder next year will be mid-range at best, so I'm OK with giving that up as well.

I would guess that the conditional second is dependent upon whether the Kings can lock up Penner long-term.

Overall, it looks good. I'm excited about what this does for the team. Dean has made me a believer today. Well done.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:11 PM
Kingurentai

I'm happy with Penner.

But I'm even more happy that we didn't give up Schenn, Simmonds, etc. and re-signed Willy. Sad to see Teubert go, but we're stacked in that department.

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:12 PM
Shellz

Can't wait to hear what Herby has to say. Seriously.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:14 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
I would guess that the conditional second is dependent upon whether the Kings can lock up Penner long-term.
LeBrun (the real one) said earlier in his barrage of tweets that the 2012 pick is a 2nd rounder if the Kings win the Cup. Otherwise it's a 3rd rounder.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:15 PM
123slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I do.
Fasheezy then. Let's hope Penner doesn't perpetuate his own laziness here.

123slam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:16 PM
Cup 4 the Kings
It only took 45 yrs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... I gotta say - I really like what Dean did here.

I like Penner as a player. Immediately he has the best shooting percentage of any player on the top lines, and he has 30-35 goal potential playing alongside Kopitar.

A top six of:

Penner-Kopitar-Simmonds
Smyth-Stoll-Williams

with Brown on the third line looks pretty good to me for sure.

I wasn't all too impressed with Teubert, and the defensive depth of the team is strong, so I'm good with that as well.

The first rounder next year will be mid-range at best, so I'm OK with giving that up as well.

Overall, it looks good. I'm excited about what this does for the team. Dean has made me a believer today. Well done.

The conditional third becomes a second if the Kings win the Cup. I'm more than fine with them meeting the condition

Cup 4 the Kings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:17 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Re: Flights out of Edmonton being too late.

Its called a charter.

Not that we'd spend the cash for one, but its possible.
Yah, some people don't understand flying when you're rich and famous is easier than booking a flight on Southwest.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:19 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Yah, some people don't understand flying when you're rich and famous is easier than booking a flight on Southwest.
This was so true, and so funny for whatever reason.

KopitarFAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:20 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
LeBrun (the real one) said earlier in his barrage of tweets that the 2012 pick is a 2nd rounder if the Kings win the Cup. Otherwise it's a 3rd rounder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup 4 the Kings View Post
The conditional third becomes a second if the Kings win the Cup. I'm more than fine with them meeting the condition
... Alright, thanks guys. More than fine with that condition as well.

Seriously, I can't say enough about this deal. I think that Dean really came through, and I'm happy to say that.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:21 PM
itstheo54

why dont we send a F-16 to edmonton out of point mugu to pick penner up, all he needs is his wallet, a jock strap and a pair of skates to fit in the cokpit, and fly him to LAX, then we can charter a helichopter for him to fly him right accross the street to the Ritz Carlton, get him a room, and get him ready to play tonight

itstheo54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:22 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
This was so true, and so funny for whatever reason.
I used to deliver to the smaller private airport by John Wayne when I worked for FedEx. Rich people would pull up in their luxury cars, walk in glass doors, you get on nice, private jet and you're on your way. Penner could easily make it here in time for a 730PM game.

Old
02-28-2011, 03:23 PM
unhinged97

Quote:
I used to deliver to the smaller private airport by John Wayne when I worked for FedEx. Rich people would pull up in their luxury cars, walk in glass doors, you get on nice, private jet and you're on your way. Penner could easily make it here in time for a 730PM game.
But this issue is getting things straight with immigration, isn't it?

unhinged97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:30 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by unhinged97 View Post
But this issue is getting things straight with immigration, isn't it?
I don't know about those things. Maybe a work visa? I'm not sure how all that stuff works as far as being traded from a Canadian team to an American team. Is it more than just showing up to your new team?

Old
02-28-2011, 03:32 PM
unhinged97

Quote:
I don't know about those things. Maybe a work visa? I'm not sure how all that stuff works as far as being traded from a Canadian team to an American team. Is it more than just showing up to your new team?
I'm just guessing as that's what held up Mike Fisher joining Nashville.

unhinged97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:46 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
Can't wait to hear what Herby has to say. Seriously.
Lombardi after almost three years finally filled the hole he created, that's what I have to say. What was he supposed to do, never make a move?

I love how I get so much grief for my negative feelings about Lombardi, even though I have praised him for things like the JJ trade, his development of goaltenders and his solid draft selections in later rounds.

Yet no one ever calls out the guy on this board who spends his entire time going around defending every single move Dean has ever made. A guy who sits on here and spews out the same cliches we hear in the Lombardi interviews, the guy who says the only mistakes Lombardi has ever made were Cloutier and not trading Cammalleri sooner. The guy who never once said anything about JJ's development until the infamous DL interview and then suddenly accepted it as gospel. Just funny how that works out.

I already said how I feel about the trade in the other thread, it was a good move and I am happy it was made. The Kings are a much better and skilled team than they were when the day started and our #1 center finally has someone decent on his LW. That is a great thing.

But let's be honest here. When it was all said and done Dean turned one first line asset into another lesser first line asset while also managing to trade two first round picks away in the process, but I'm sure you know who will be here shortly to spin it Dean's way.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:46 PM
redcard

Gretzky acquired with Marty Mcsorley->
Mcsorley traded to NYR for package including Norstrom->
Norstrom to DAL for package including 28th overall pick 2008->
28th overall pick + Cammy in series of trades for Teubert->
Teubert packaged for Penner.

Thanks 99, the trade that keeps on trading.

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:48 PM
DeeMeck

We picked up Deslauriers by trading down that one spot for Teubert as well.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:58 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
That's correct. If he was vacationing, it'd be easy, but when he's "moving" from Canada to the US for work purposes, there is more involved.

Old
02-28-2011, 04:11 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
But let's be honest here. When it was all said and done Dean turned one first line asset into another lesser first line asset while also managing to trade two first round picks away in the process, but I'm sure you know who will be here shortly to spin it Dean's way.
That is one way of looking at it, but you have to understand that Dean didn't think Cammy was worth the $5 million (or $6 million) that he was asking for. You feel that Cammy was worth whatever he wanted and that is fine, it is okay to disagree. At the time of the Cammy trade, Murray wasn't the coach, but Penner has a better shot in a Murray system than Cammy does today. Who has more goals this season?

Lombardi has shown that he has been acquiring players that are willing to buy into what he is doing in LA. To get Johnson and Williams to sign deals below market value shows that he getting the team built the right way. This makes me believe that Doughty will also take a cap friendly deal, whether it is a long term or short team contract. Simmonds will probably take less than people think as well.

I'm glad that Lombardi is the GM of the Kings, he finally has the franchise on the right track. My biggest problem with him have been his coaching hires and I still believe that Murray is the wrong coach for the team, but I hope Murray proves me wrong now that he has a full top 9, a solid top 6 and 2 solid goaltenders.

This has been one of Dean's better days and I'm sure he may package some of the other defensive prospects into picks on draft day.

I would still like to have Sturm for offensive depth for the playoffs, but Penner is a definite improvement over all that have played LW for Kopitar this season.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:21 PM
SLang

Quote:
Private charter EDM to LAX: $14,000 approx. So if they won it would have cost the $7,000 per point.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:21 PM
johnjm22

I'm surprised DL didn't make a move to acquire a veteran depth defenseman.

johnjm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:26 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
Originally Posted by itstheo54 View Post
why dont we send a F-16 to edmonton out of point mugu to pick penner up, all he needs is his wallet, a jock strap and a pair of skates to fit in the cokpit, and fly him to LAX,
I'm trying to picture a 245lb dude wearing nothing but a jock strap plus an Air Force pilot fitting inside the cockpit of a single seat F-16

F-16s = Single Seat Fighter

driller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:28 PM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

vCash: 2400
Quote:
Im sure the Kings have a MarquisJet card or something like it.

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:35 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Just a glimpse into what you don't see (or see only for a few seconds) after a trade is announced and before mods can merge/delete threads when 56,000 people online hear about the trade at the same time:

That was just page 1! Fun times!

Old
02-28-2011, 04:36 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

I LOL'd at someone in Flames management calling Freddy Modin a top 9 forward. Yea, on a bad team.

KopitarFAN is online now   Reply With Quote