HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[WSH/FLA] Dennis Wideman for Jake Hauswirth & 3rd round pick

Old
02-28-2011, 02:26 PM
backs4mvp

vCash: 500
People seem to love being ignorant around here, seeing as they refuse to educate themselves. Washington has been fine defensively this year, and they were fine defensively vs Montreal last year, their offense has been a major letdown.

Green, Carlson, and Poti are the caps PMD, 2 of which are injured. I'd rather not see Carlson forced to play 30 minutes every game until the playoffs.

backs4mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 02:49 PM
Puckgenius*

Wideman was a beast in Boston, hes a good dman. Hes in the same mold as Keith Ballard but with more offense.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:55 PM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Tremendous deal for Washington.

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:04 PM
The Depahted

I feel like Wideman will be good on a puck possession team like Washington. Plus he really steps up his game in the playoffs (led the B's in postseason scoring last year)

Great value

The Depahted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:19 PM
Meatwagon
Blues=Overrated

Lest we not forget the EPIC FAIL of all shootout fails

I present you with Dennis Wideman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_h6x...related:laugh:

Meatwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:28 PM
RainingRats

He's a defensive liability. His offensive game doesn't make up for it. Odd considering Washington has been focusing and improving their D which has worked. Although their offense has suffered, Wideman is not the answer, imo. He's going to cost you more goals than he helps produce.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 09:25 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwagon View Post
Lest we not forget the EPIC FAIL of all shootout fails

I present you with Dennis Wideman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_h6x...related:laugh:
well Washington will have to be sure not to put him out on a shootout in the post season.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:01 PM
Kloparren
Hth

I don't understand this trade and it sticks out to me as the most lopsided one.

With what dmen were going for, and we can agree that Wideman is a top four dman (a bit better tbh), you would think they get better than a 3rd pick and random ECHL prospect. I mean, get a 2nd and 3rd pick or something of substance here.

If I heard Wideman was gonna be traded, with his cheap cap hit and what Kaberle got, I would've guessed the same as what Kaberle got minus one of the picks.

There's rebuilding and then there's Florida. Is the return on Wideman so low because Florida were in desperate sell mode and everyone knew it?

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:14 PM
MDHockey

Send a message via Yahoo to MDHockey
i hope he brings plenty of these with him, but that might be too much to ask

MDHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:15 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettles View Post

With what dmen were going for, and we can agree that Wideman is a top four dman (a bit better tbh), you would think they get better than a 3rd pick and random ECHL prospect. I mean, get a 2nd and 3rd pick or something of substance here.

If I heard Wideman was gonna be traded, with his cheap cap hit and what Kaberle got, I would've guessed the same as what Kaberle got minus one of the picks.

There's rebuilding and then there's Florida. Is the return on Wideman so low because Florida were in desperate sell mode and everyone knew it?
yes. for a variety (some potentially noble) reasons but yes.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:25 AM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

They televised the trade call for this deal on NHL network. Pretty cool to see/hear how they go down.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 10:40 AM
gamedotdll

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
They televised the trade call for this deal on NHL network. Pretty cool to see/hear how they go down.
That is actually really cool. I hope it gets uploaded somewhere, I would like to hear it.

gamedotdll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 11:14 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamedotdll View Post
That is actually really cool. I hope it gets uploaded somewhere, I would like to hear it.
It's on the Caps' website (go to the "Wideman acquired" slide for the top stories, there's a link in the frame there). I imagine the Panthers have a link to it somewhere similar on their site.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 11:15 AM
SameOld

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamedotdll View Post
Its on the Caps website:
http://video.capitals.nhl.com/videoc...d=53&id=100434

SameOld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 08:57 AM
ORRMAN

Quote:

Wideman was the worst player in the NHL, last season. He had two or three good playoff games, but was otherwise a turnover machine. He was the slowest skater on the team.

Unless he's changed drastically, he is a huge liability. Kaberle can skate, pass, and run the power play: things Wideman cannot do. Trust me, FL got the better side of the deal.

ORRMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 09:23 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORRMAN View Post
Wideman was the worst player in the NHL, last season. He had two or three good playoff games, but was otherwise a turnover machine. He was the slowest skater on the team.

Unless he's changed drastically, he is a huge liability. Kaberle can skate, pass, and run the power play: things Wideman cannot do. Trust me, FL got the better side of the deal.
What you are describing is not the Wideman we saw Tuesday night. He was the Caps' best defenseman, logged the most minutes on the blue line, and was one of two players (along with Ovy) to finish +2.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 10:45 AM
ORRMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
What you are describing is not the Wideman we saw Tuesday night. He was the Caps' best defenseman, logged the most minutes on the blue line, and was one of two players (along with Ovy) to finish +2.
Maybe you got the 2008 Wideman - if so, good for you.

Let us know how he does.

ORRMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 12:37 PM
txpd

in his first shift from the right of his own net he passed the puck straight up the slot an islanders player for a scoring chance. that was the last goof of the game.

i think often times defensemen with offensive responsibilities are harshly graded by fans particularly of defensive oriented teams. their job description put them in the danger zone far more often. stay at home, low stick skills defensemen dont try home run passes while the pmd is encouraged to do it.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 09:50 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Two really really good games so far. I hope he continues to pull this type of wideman.

Granted it's isles and blues so far.

Gmgm is trading god. Just go down the list of the last three years of trades.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 10:11 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
Wideman was a beast in Boston, hes a good dman. Hes in the same mold as Keith Ballard but with more offense.
No, Ballard is better defensively. Both have played for the Panthers and even in Ballard's 'suck' year last year he was better defensively than Wideman by a large margin. Wideman wasn't even as heavily depended on in his own zone as Ballard was here in 2 years. Wideman is without doubt better offensively though.

Quote:

He has one more year on his contract, was a -26 here on an otherwise solid +/- blueline, and is a defensive liability(at least here he was). I could see him being sheltered by the Caps' depth a bit.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 11:32 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
He has one more year on his contract, was a -26 here on an otherwise solid +/- blueline, and is a defensive liability(at least here he was). I could see him being sheltered by the Caps' depth a bit.
It has a lot more to do with the high-end talent than the depth. The Caps are capable of playing a puck-possession game and controlling flow (even in their new defensive system) when they play well. That's something the Panthers really couldn't do the same extent. Wideman, much like Green, thrives in that style of game as it plays to their strengths, both offensively and defensively.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 12:31 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
It has a lot more to do with the high-end talent than the depth. The Caps are capable of playing a puck-possession game and controlling flow (even in their new defensive system) when they play well. That's something the Panthers really couldn't do the same extent. Wideman, much like Green, thrives in that style of game as it plays to their strengths, both offensively and defensively.
Yeah, you said it better than I did.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote