HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Why I'm glad we didn't pick Schremp

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2004, 01:22 PM
Potted Plant

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Potted Plant
Why I'm glad we didn't pick Schremp

Bear with me while I play amateur psychologist.

Some people on here wish we had picked Schremp in the draft. I do not wish that, and I'll tell you why. Journalists, commentators, etc. talk about his confidence and his cockiness and talk about how some organizations might like it and others didn't. I saw something else, particularly when I heard about him asking "what line will I play on?" saying, "I'll show them when I'm going against them next year."

It occurred to me. This isn't cockiness. This is TOO cocky for cocky. This is exaggerated, mock cockiness. It isn't real. Real cockiness is more realistic. He wouldn't be saying, "I'll be in the NHL next year". He'd be saying, "I'll be a first line NHLer in a few years". This is the way a person acts when he wants people to THINK he's cocky. In my lifetime, most people who act like that are, in reality, insecure wilting flowers. I bet he's the same way. He thinks he's a fraud, and he's waiting for his bubble to burst, trying to put that off by making people think he's supremely confident. This kid will fold up like a cheap suit the moment his career hits real adversity. And it will. It happens to everyone.

He'll never be a regular NHLer, and when he doesn't make the NHL in a few years, he'll drop out of hockey forever.

Old
07-01-2004, 02:04 PM
Fletch

You know what though...

where he was picked, he was a good gamble. I don't think many believe he doesn't have talent. Dropping down like a sack of potatoes may be the push he needed to focus and make it to the NHL.

Old
07-01-2004, 02:16 PM
Larry Melnyk

Honestly, I don't buy an iota of what you are saying...But too each his own...Schremp is skilled and Schremp is cocky, but Schremp is also immature, which is not unusual for a teenager, but to a very high degree..I don't mind the cockiness, it's the maturity he has to work on or get...if he doesn't, he won't make it.......And maybe the draft snub will give him the motivation to do it....Look how long it took Marc Savard to finally get it.....And I know Schremp is faster, but I see some simialriites in their game and it may take Schremp that long to become consistent...And if he turns out anything like Savard who is now a #1 center who plays the PP, PK, and is the top face-off guy, the pick will be a good one...Time will tell..

Old
07-01-2004, 02:37 PM
Sather Hater

I read an interesting article about Schremp the day after the oilers drafted him. During one of the oilers pre-draft interview's with him every other word out of his mouth was something like *******, so Mactavish finally said we don't use that F***ing word around here.

Old
07-01-2004, 04:36 PM
jaywills1020

as far as him using the word ******* who cares? for us that live in new york that word is used more often then words like hello and thank you. i know some people dont curse ever but some people like myself use that word in every other sentence. and im not a bad guy!! but we will see how his cockiness plays into his game. kinda like kobe bryant. hes cocky as hell but hes in the top 5 best b-ball players in the world. by the way does anyone know bures status? this guys a f-ing mystery man.

Old
07-01-2004, 04:46 PM
Potted Plant

Send a message via AIM to Potted Plant
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywills1020
as far as him using the word ******* who cares? for us that live in new york that word is used more often then words like hello and thank you. i know some people dont curse ever but some people like myself use that word in every other sentence. and im not a bad guy!! but we will see how his cockiness plays into his game. kinda like kobe bryant. hes cocky as hell but hes in the top 5 best b-ball players in the world. by the way does anyone know bures status? this guys a f-ing mystery man.
It's one thing to curse frequently with your buddies, but I think most intelligent people know that there is a time and a place. You can curse with your friends at the bar or with your family if they're ok with it. You don't curse when you're on a job interview. Or when you're talking to a priest. Or when you're in an art museum.

I'm not terribly bothered by the cursing thing, but I think it underscores what someone else has said. He's very immature to behave that way on a job interview. If I was the one interviewing him, it would have left a bad impression with me, even if it was for a job as a hockey player.

Old
07-01-2004, 04:56 PM
FlyersFan10*

Jesus H Christ, the boy is 18 years old. He is a boy, not a man. Chances are, he never had a much of a child hood, always playing hockey and always training. I think people need to lighten up a bit. Sports organizations expecting 18 year old kids to act like adults....what a joke.

Old
07-01-2004, 05:17 PM
Sather Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlyRegardedRookie
It's one thing to curse frequently with your buddies, but I think most intelligent people know that there is a time and a place. You can curse with your friends at the bar or with your family if they're ok with it. You don't curse when you're on a job interview. Or when you're talking to a priest. Or when you're in an art museum.

I'm not terribly bothered by the cursing thing, but I think it underscores what someone else has said. He's very immature to behave that way on a job interview. If I was the one interviewing him, it would have left a bad impression with me, even if it was for a job as a hockey player.
That was exactly my point. It's about having a little bit of class, and acting somewhat professional during a job interview. I don't care if your interviewing to be a janitor or the president of a company, or even an athlete, they are looking at you to represent their company (or team). If he doesn't have enough intelligence to control himself for one hour while he talks to a potential employer, than that says a little something about him. Just what we needed another Theo Fluery running around.

Old
07-01-2004, 05:50 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sather Hater
That was exactly my point. It's about having a little bit of class, and acting somewhat professional during a job interview. I don't care if your interviewing to be a janitor or the president of a company, or even an athlete, they are looking at you to represent their company (or team). If he doesn't have enough intelligence to control himself for one hour while he talks to a potential employer, than that says a little something about him. Just what we needed another Theo Fluery running around.

This is a very strong point you make, and ideally you'd like the 18 year old you're about to spend a 1st round pick on to have a little better judgement. However, I also think its fair to ask ourselves if this is something that is merely immaturity or nervous energy from an 18 year old.

I mean, did he continue to swear? or did he get down to business? does he routinely enter a room where his future could well be decided and act like a dink?

As a male who was once 18 years old I can tell you it's a wonder any of us aren't buried alive in the backyard by our elders. imo a better way to judge a young man's character is to ask those who spend time with him at work how he conducts himself. Inside info, as opposed to a 10 minute meeting under high stress.

Do you think the Oilers maybe did that? I do know that one of the scouts has a personal relationship with Schremp, who has spent time in Regina working on his skating.

I think also we can look back at other 18 year olds and learn something. I remember when the Oilers sent a young Mark Messier to the Central Hockey League for missing a flight. He arrived at the Edmonton International Airport in time to be told there were two tickets to Houston.

The Oilers had had enough of his immaturity and wanted to send a strong message. Didn't work. He went to Houston and had a great time. I bet he swore in front of MacT too. :lol

NOTE:I'm not comparing Messier and Schremp as players, merely using this example to show that 18 year olds sometimes grow up.

Old
07-01-2004, 07:08 PM
NYR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan10
Jesus H Christ, the boy is 18 years old. He is a boy, not a man. Chances are, he never had a much of a child hood, always playing hockey and always training. I think people need to lighten up a bit. Sports organizations expecting 18 year old kids to act like adults....what a joke.
I was aware that 18 was an adult? Legally it is anyway.

I think it's a joke that you think organizations expecting him to act like an adult is a joke. If he can't act like one then he's going to have a big rude awakening when he's up against men who will crush his immature behind into the ice.

It doesn't matter if he's only 18. He should know that the interviews are important to his career and to the organization thinking about drafting him. You can't act like a numb nut cursing in a job interview. It's extremely unprofessional.

Old
07-01-2004, 07:11 PM
NYR2

And by 18 years old I'd hope people would have enough common sense to know how to conduct themselves like an adult in a situation like that. If not, that's pretty sad imo.

Old
07-01-2004, 07:36 PM
Synergy27

I don't know about the whole cursing issue, but do any of you guys think that he was just being facetious when he made the "what line next year" comment? If he was being serious than there might be something to this whole argument, but it sounds like he was joking to me...

Old
07-01-2004, 08:04 PM
bmoak

Hey, Lou didn't snatch him up for the Devils, so how good can he be?

Old
07-01-2004, 08:46 PM
Fletch

lowe-tide...

now that's a name I do not see enough in here these days...

Like I said, his opportunity is now and the audience to silence in growing. He has the skill to do it. He may even have the desire to do it. Let's see if he can just go out and do-it.

Thought he was a good gamble where picked, and if picked by the Rangers at #24, I would not be crying [at #6, perhaps...or most likely].

Old
07-01-2004, 09:46 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
now that's a name I do not see enough in here these days...

Like I said, his opportunity is now and the audience to silence in growing. He has the skill to do it. He may even have the desire to do it. Let's see if he can just go out and do-it.

Thought he was a good gamble where picked, and if picked by the Rangers at #24, I would not be crying [at #6, perhaps...or most likely].
Always dropping in and reading Fletch, great board here. I think for the Oilers there really wasn't a choice. Warts and all, this guy is exactly what they needed.

Besides, we'll sign him and enjoy a few nice years and then send him your way.

Old
07-01-2004, 11:17 PM
Fletch

Thanks...I think....

can't wait to see Schremp after he's used and abused. Woo-hoo; somethings never change here.

Old
07-01-2004, 11:37 PM
Sather Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Always dropping in and reading Fletch, great board here. I think for the Oilers there really wasn't a choice. Warts and all, this guy is exactly what they needed.

Besides, we'll sign him and enjoy a few nice years and then send him your way.
He might have some issues, but I agree at #25 he was a steal. I wouldn't have been upset if the Rangers landed him with their 2nd pick in the 1st round.

Closed Thread