HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Klesla traded to Phoenix for Upshall and Lepisto

Old
02-28-2011, 01:54 PM
EDM

vCash: 500
Players do not earn a spot on an NHL team because they look cute in their uniform.

Thank Gordie Howe that one more albatross has been removed from around our neck. Cougar, sorry your eyes will have to find a new target. But as I posted yesterday, once Rivet was acquired, it was obvious that Rusty was gone.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 02:03 PM
Hilliardsw55
Johnson!

I like the trade. I like what Upshall will bring and we've done well without Klesla.

That said, I don't understand the Klesla hate. It's not his fault he was made to be something he wasn't and it surely wasn't his fault he was signed to the contract he was.

Hilliardsw55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 02:04 PM
QTMcWhiskers
Playoff Avatar Stays

Somewhere in Ohio, Jim Day is weeping.

As cool as I thought it was for Klesla to be around since the beginning, I must say I like the trade.

QTMcWhiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 02:04 PM
Gulvorn

I don't think I like the trade. If we can't resign Upshall then we basically traded Klesla for another young defender which we already have a lot of.

Gulvorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 02:06 PM
Hilliardsw55
Johnson!

As others have said...if we can't resign Upshall, we have at least cleared up space to sign someone else.

Hilliardsw55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 02:16 PM
jetbluejackets

general feeling seems to be...

guys- good trade

ladies- bad trade

thoughts?

jetbluejackets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 02:18 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichNash61 View Post
Rusty, take your soft hitting, bad first passing, never living up to the draft pick you were, often injuryed @ss out of town now! Thanks for 10yrs of crap! Two years from now we wont even be saying your name!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca5150 View Post
Possibly the greatest trade since Gretz went to the Kings! Be gone with your bruised knee and losing mentality!

Frees up money for next year, gets rid of a HORRIBLE contract, should have never been re-signed. Makes room for Moore and Savard and hopefully a NHL Dman upgrade. It's no secret I have said for the better part of 5 years that Klesla was a wasted roster spot. And I think the new guys could add something, but if they don't we got rid of a horrible contract and a player that never showed much passion and couldn't carry the puck or shoot the puck or pass the puck or hit or fight or clear the net or really anything a defensemen should excel at. Make room in the press box and the trainers table Phoenix, here comes Klesla!!

Klesla's motto has always been "If it requires a Band-Aid, better give it 6-8 weeks to heal..." He tried milking this "tender knee" until after the trade deadline again, same as last year, but thankfully Scottie Howson found someone dumb enough to pick up that contract and heavy footed, lumbering ox that played like he was 5'6"....

Good riddance!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
Players do not earn a spot on an NHL team because they look cute in their uniform.

Thank Gordie Howe that one more albatross has been removed from around our neck. Cougar, sorry your eyes will have to find a new target. But as I posted yesterday, once Rivet was acquired, it was obvious that Rusty was gone.
...what the bloody hell is wrong with you people?

Was I the only person who actually watched his playoff performance? Or how he was playing earlier this year before the injury? Or the year before, for that matter? Or when he was opposite Adam Foote and, later, Jan Hejda?

No amount of persistent delusion on your part is going to make him any worse of a player. He's an effective defenseman who was traded due to injury history. I know that's hard for y'all to accept that someone can actually find a useful niche despite your skyhigh expectations, but, y'know what? It happens, it happened, and it's for real. To hell with what he looks like on a poster; I care about what he looked like on the ice, and what he looked like - after XGMDM left - was a hard-hitting, tenacious, persistent second-pairing defensive defenseman with an extra gear in the playoffs.

DEAL. WITH. IT.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 02:19 PM
kshymkiw

Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
@jetblue

No Not really. Klesla was eye candy for the ladies, but some guys appreciated his play. I don't care for his play - and regardless if we retain Lepisto and Upshall it is a Win for us.

kshymkiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 02:19 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca5150 View Post
Possibly the greatest trade since Gretz went to the Kings! Be gone with your bruised knee and losing mentality!

Frees up money for next year, gets rid of a HORRIBLE contract, should have never been re-signed. Makes room for Moore and Savard and hopefully a NHL Dman upgrade. It's no secret I have said for the better part of 5 years that Klesla was a wasted roster spot. And I think the new guys could add something, but if they don't we got rid of a horrible contract and a player that never showed much passion and couldn't carry the puck or shoot the puck or pass the puck or hit or fight or clear the net or really anything a defensemen should excel at. Make room in the press box and the trainers table Phoenix, here comes Klesla!!

Klesla's motto has always been "If it requires a Band-Aid, better give it 6-8 weeks to heal..." He tried milking this "tender knee" until after the trade deadline again, same as last year, but thankfully Scottie Howson found someone dumb enough to pick up that contract and heavy footed, lumbering ox that played like he was 5'6"....

Good riddance!!
Was this rant really necessary? I'd like to see what you would do with the injury he had last year. I'm sure you'd be "man" enough to play through it.

Good grief.

He was a class act and never did anything to embarrass the franchise. He played hard when he was in the lineup. He doesn't deserve your vile.

Last edited by blahblah: 02-28-2011 at 02:28 PM.
blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 02:21 PM
LeoWelsh

Good trade for both teams, fills needs.

LeoWelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 02:26 PM
CBJCougar

Today is NOT the day to be pulling out the childish ****. You wanna rejoice in the trade of the original Blue Jacket, your thing but do NOT insult the women of this board as if the only reason we like a particular player is because of his looks.

Instead you might want to look hard at an organization that just told you they are only interested in taking your money. Howson has no intention of a serious run at the playoffs. He's just placating the fan base.

We had two players that could get us a return and one of them was wasted in a trade that could have been had with picks. Celebrate being hosed.

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 02:28 PM
psycloud

Someone was traded. Let's rail on him unmercifully. That'll accomplish things.

psycloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 02:32 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Great trade

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 02:32 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
Today is NOT the day to be pulling out the childish ****. You wanna rejoice in the trade of the original Blue Jacket, your thing but do NOT insult the women of this board as if the only reason we like a particular player is because of his looks.

Instead you might want to look hard at an organization that just told you they are only interested in taking your money. Howson has no intention of a serious run at the playoffs. He's just placating the fan base.

We had two players that could get us a return and one of them was wasted in a trade that could have been had with picks. Celebrate being hosed.
Honestly, I don't see the trade that way. I don't like losing Klesla, but Lepisto's a very effective player (think a somewhat smaller Methot), and Upshall's like DD or Boll but with more scoring ability. We got a very good return for Rusty.

I do wish he hadn't been traded, but, oh well. We got very good value back.

Old
02-28-2011, 02:33 PM
blahblah

Quote:
I don't think we could have gotten those players with draft picks. I think this was a calculated move from both sides. The CBJ wanted to be out of Klesla's contract, while providing additional depth. The Yotes wanted Kesla's veteran play. Honestly the choice of homes for Klesla was probably quite limited.

I'll miss Klesla as well.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 02:34 PM
kshymkiw

Quote:

I don't see how adding 30 pts of offense and a young quick defesman shows this organization as "taking my money"

Personally i see making no deal, and saying over and over that "We believe in what we have" when "What we have" isn't working as taking my money. I am glad Howson made this deal.

Old
02-28-2011, 02:34 PM
Gulvorn

If Howson doesn't make a trade or sign a big UFA defender in the off-season then our defense will look even worse next year then it did this year.

I could at least argue that Klesla is a good overall #2 defender on this team, even though he's probably our best defender. Now our team really is a bunch of #3-#6 defenders. Tyutin and Methot are our best defenders now, and in reality they should only be #3 type defenders.

Old
02-28-2011, 02:37 PM
Gulvorn

But again I think they need to resign Upshall to really make this deal a win for the Jackets. The only other way it can become a win is if Howson hits the jackpot in the off-season to make an upgrade on Klesla with the freed space.

But they should at least have a chance to resign Upshall. I'm not sure where he actually fits in on the team. 3rd line or something? Next year he could replace the salaries of Moreau and Clark I guess.

Old
02-28-2011, 02:38 PM
kshymkiw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulvorn View Post
If Howson doesn't make a trade or sign a big UFA defender in the off-season then our defense will look even worse next year then it did this year.

I could at least argue that Klesla is a good overall #2 defender on this team, even though he's probably our best defender. Now our team really is a bunch of #3-#6 defenders. Tyutin and Methot are our best defenders now, and in reality they should only be #3 type defenders.
How so? We would have the same D that we currently have, assuming we re-sign Methot and Hejda.

Methot, Tyutin, Hejda, Lepisto, Russell, Clitsome, ?Moore, ?Savard, etc...

and we are doing just fine with what we have right now. Rusty was just as bad as everyone else during Nov., Dec., Jan.

Old
02-28-2011, 02:39 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

No, Rusty, thank you.

Old
02-28-2011, 02:39 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulvorn View Post

I am so disgusted at the moment that I can't think straight. You said what I should have. It's more of the same. Who takes a +18 defenseman and trades him for more of the same???

Thank you for your kind words. You too Viqsi and Blah and anyone I might have missed. Just not a good day for me at all.

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 02:40 PM
jetbluejackets

Quote:

not rejoicing in the trade, but he's overpaid on a long-term deal for what he brings. and the only people that have been overly negative with nothing positive to say have been women...just an observation

correct me if i'm wrong, but we have not missed him in our recent run. sounds more like you are ok with wasting money that's not yours to waste

again, klesla was due 3 mil/year long term, we could/should/will use that money more wisely in the offseason. if you kept klesla, who gets the scratch? none of our D deserve to be taken out right now in favor of Klesla....it's unfortunate, and sure there is shock to losing the last "original" jacket, but he became expendable, time to move on...

jetbluejackets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 02:41 PM
MFRONE

Howie isn't going to sit pat on a D-man for next year. I think by him not acquiring a guy like Liles or Wideman he must like some of the FAs over the summer.

MFRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Gulvorn

And since I can't edit I also wanted to point out that Upshall played under head coach Claude Noel for the Milkwaukee Admirals when they won the Calder Cup in 2004.

Old
02-28-2011, 02:44 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Was this rant really necessary? I'd like to see what you would do with the injury he had last year. I'm sure you'd be "man" enough to play through it.

Good grief.

He was a class act and never did anything to embarrass the franchise. He played hard when he was in the lineup. He doesn't deserve your vile.
Well said, Sir. Thank-you.

Best of luck Rusty.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote