HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Klesla traded to Phoenix for Upshall and Lepisto

Old
02-28-2011, 02:46 PM
GScott

vCash: 500
How exactly did Columbus get hosed? Look at Klesla's history since the lockout:

2010-2011 set to miss 20+ games
2009-2010 played 26 games
2008-2009 played 34 games
2007-2008 played 82 games
2006-2007 played 75 games
2005-2006 played 51 games

His claim to fame is playing 2 good playoff games and Howson gave him a contract based on that. There is no guarantee he would ever play at that level again. Everyone forgets about the rumors and stuff posted in December about certain players not being upset at losing. I would guess he was one of them.

Bottomline is Howson was able to get a gritty winger that can score and play 2nd line minutes and a puck moving defenseman for a non roster player. Personally I don't think it was a coincidence that the CBJ have been playing their best hockey of the season with him on IR. Even if Upshall and Lepisto don't pan out at least the CBJ are free of his contract and can use that money for Richards or the much needed defense revamp this summer.

GScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 02:50 PM
kshymkiw

Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
Quote:
Originally Posted by GScott View Post

His claim to fame is playing 2 good playoff games and Howson gave him a contract based on that. There is no guarantee he would ever play at that level again. Everyone forgets about the rumors and stuff posted in December about certain players not being upset at losing. I would guess he was one of them.

Bottomline is Howson was able to get a gritty winger that can score and play 2nd line minutes and a puck moving defenseman for a non roster player. Personally I don't think it was a coincidence that the CBJ have been playing their best hockey of the season with him on IR. Even if Upshall and Lepisto don't pan out at least the CBJ are free of his contract and can use that money for Richards or the much needed defense revamp this summer.
This is what everyone is overlooking. That is 100% why this deal was a grade A deal.

kshymkiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 02:55 PM
Gulvorn

I don't think people realize that Klesla was a good deal. If he wasn't remotely injury prone he would have been worth over 4M. But he was a #2 type defender making only 3M. The Jackets really don't pay their defenders much. There are teams that have 4 defenders making all over 3M.

Now, who can the Jackets sign in the off-season do you think? Who is really an upgrade? You have to look at almost doubling spending to get a upgrade over Klesla. Most of the UFA's coming up probably won't even hit UFA since they were all acquired at the deadline.

Markov? Jovanovski? Kaberle? Bieska? Ernhoff? McCabe? Hamrilik? Wisnewski? White? Hejda?

That's pretty much what the UFA list looks like and a lot of them are aging defenders. Forgive me if any of those have already been resigned. Jovanovski probably has a few more good years left in him, so for me that only really leaves Kaberle, Ernhoff, and Wisnewski as good upgrades because their age isn't already post 34.

Gulvorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 02:58 PM
Gulvorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshymkiw View Post
This is what everyone is overlooking. That is 100% why this deal was a grade A deal.
People aren't overlooking it. There is no reason to believe that Klesla has a nagging injury that prevents him from playing. It's more like Klesla is just cursed and does things like tearing a groin and abdominal muscle at the same time making a play for the puck and evens up out the entire season.

Klesla will probably end up only missing like 20 games over the next 2 years and people will look pretty silly. But of course if he ends up like Leclaire then yes, everything is great. But I see no reason to believe that he's going to break down and be injury prone forever just because the guy has horrible luck. He doesn't have nagging injuries like aging knees and a worn out groin.

Old
02-28-2011, 02:59 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Dude, why did you have to go there? There have been plenty of posts in this thread laying out that exact same scenario.

Some people should get an electric shock when they attempt to use the word "everyone" or any other all inclusive word.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:01 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GScott View Post

Bottom line is we aren't going anywhere. We've been told how the organization would get us what we need. All we got was more of the same. And if you think for one minute that Howson is going to pick up anything more over the summer....well...good luck on that one. He isn't spending money. He isn't investing in us. Just more lies.

Klesla got hurt by dirty plays from other teams. No one is immune to that. No one.

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:03 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
Bottom line is we aren't going anywhere. We've been told how the organization would get us what we need. All we got was more of the same. And if you think for one minute that Howson is going to pick up anything more over the summer....well...good luck on that one. He isn't spending money. He isn't investing in us. Just more lies.
You are very justified in your belief that Howson will not do anything wise with the 3 million he freed up. I share your skepticism.

Old
02-28-2011, 03:04 PM
kshymkiw

Quote:

Klesla got hurt by dirty plays from other teams. No one is immune to that. No one.
Klesla certainly wasn't injured by dirty plays.

Old
02-28-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Bottom line is we aren't going anywhere. We've been told how the organization would get us what we need. All we got was more of the same.
Lepisto is a young puck mover with a good shot. The Jackets needed that, and that's why I think this is a good trade. I liked Klesla, but it's become apparent that the d can play without him. Adding a puck-mover should help the offense and PP even more.

I think Lepisto is being overlooked, I feel the deal was more about him than Upshall. Upshall is a nice player and should fit in the system nicely, but like others have said, he's probably gone after the season and I'm fine with that (as long as they plan to get someone else with that free salary - and yes, I'm skeptical).

3074326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:06 PM
Gulvorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
You are very justified in your belief that Howson will not do anything wise with the 3 million he freed up. I share your skepticism.
He actually didn't free anything up...2.25M for Upshall and 800k for Lepisto = 3M. Now, both will need to be resigned. Upshall = 3.5M-4M resign, assuming he even wants to stay here. Then Lepisto is probably at least a 1M upgrade. So we end up spending around 2M more than we were for just Klesla. And even if Upshall walks, what we actually freed up would be more along the lines up for 1-1.5M depending on what it costs to resign Lepisto. Of course a lot hinges on pending UFAs like Hejda and Garon and then what they plan to do with guys who won't be coming back like Moreau, Clark, and Rivet.

Old
02-28-2011, 03:07 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
He's not. I get that. It's a bitter pill to swallow but after today, no one can convince me of anything else. I love my boys but I see the writing on the wall. They need help and he stood there with his head up his ass and failed. I'm just sad.

Old
02-28-2011, 03:09 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulvorn View Post
He actually didn't free anything up...2.25M for Upshall and 800k for Lepisto = 3M. Now, both will need to be resigned.
He freed the money up if he wants to. Neither needs to be re-signed. You can let Upshall walk and you can trade Lepisto's rights to someone.

We are under no obligation to re-sign either if we don't want to.

Having said that I fully expect both of them to be Jackets next year.

Lepisto could very well turn out to be a very nice addition.

Old
02-28-2011, 03:09 PM
Hilliardsw55
Johnson!

Quote:
Errr....what?

Hilliardsw55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:10 PM
CBJCougar

What is all this talk about our suddenly magical defense??? What, we win 8 out of the last 11 games and NOW our defense is strong??? Really?? That's not what is screamed about here. Usually what I hear is how our dmen are too small, too out of position, too stupid to breath right. Come on...

Old
02-28-2011, 03:11 PM
MFRONE

Quote:
He actually didn't free anything up...2.25M for Upshall and 800k for Lepisto = 3M. Now, both will need to be resigned. Upshall = 3.5M-4M resign, assuming he even wants to stay here. Then Lepisto is probably at least a 1M upgrade. So we end up spending around 2M more than we were for just Klesla. And even if Upshall walks, what we actually freed up would be more along the lines up for 1-1.5M depending on what it costs to resign Lepisto. Of course a lot hinges on pending UFAs like Hejda and Garon and then what they plan to do with guys who won't be coming back like Moreau, Clark, and Rivet.
Upshall is not getting a 200% raise on his next contract.

MFRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
What is all this talk about our suddenly magical defense??? What, we win 8 out of the last 11 games and NOW our defense is strong??? Really?? That's not what is screamed about here. Usually what I hear is how our dmen are too small, too out of position, too stupid to breath right. Come on...
The D isn't/wasn't going to be great with or without Klesla. But the offense does benefit from this move.

3074326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
He's not. I get that. It's a bitter pill to swallow but after today, no one can convince me of anything else. I love my boys but I see the writing on the wall. They need help and he stood there with his head up his ass and failed. I'm just sad.
I like Rusty and think he's been the target of too much vitriol.

That said, I see one player who wasn't playing and whose absence didn't leave a gaping hole in the roster being turned into two players who are playing -- one who is a positional replacement with a more needed skillset than Rusty and the other who, by my assessment, is either a poor man's RJ or a rich man's Dorsett.

It certainly isn't a splash, but the team looks better today than it did yesterday, I think.

I like it.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilliardsw55 View Post
Errr....what?

Thanks Hillard. Anyone there for that game heard Rusty screaming. It was horrible.

Old
02-28-2011, 03:13 PM
blahblah

Quote:
As I said in another tread, I don't see how the production over the last month can continue. I like Clitsome, but he's producing at a level that is completely unexpected.

I still think we have some heavy lifting to do on the defense.

Old
02-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Gulvorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFRONE View Post
Upshall is not getting a 200% raise on his next contract.
He might if he hits UFA. He has never even played for this team. Why would he take a usual team discount to stay here? Why would the Coyotes trade one of their best forwards unless they couldn't resign him? He's obviously looking for more than 3M and probably even more than 3.5M...and that was with the team that he loved playing for.

Old
02-28-2011, 03:14 PM
Socks
HeadFake

Quote:
Coug, you know I love ya, and I'm a Rusty fan, but I have to agree with this. Neither hit that've put him out of commission recently have been dirty.

Edit: the one last season was borderline, but I still think more a result of plain old bad luck.

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:16 PM
jetbluejackets

Quote:
this.

we have a nice chunk coming off the books in the summer, and with a commie buyout likely (if not traded) and hopefully moving one of juice or pahlsson, even more is possible. Only Hedja, Voracek and Methot are players worth any reasonable raise, and with some young,cheap prospects (clits, calvert, savard/moore/johansson/that filatov guy) likely to crack the lineup, we could be major players in the FA market.

this was a money move, but we also got 2 players back that are combined AT WORST still better than 1 Rusty.

jetbluejackets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:17 PM
MFRONE

Quote:
He might if he hits UFA. He has never even played for this team. Why would he take a usual team discount to stay here? Why would the Coyotes trade one of their best forwards unless they couldn't resign him? He's obviously looking for more than 3M and probably even more than 3.5M...and that was with the team that he loved playing for.
They could have traded him because they needed defensive help more then they needed his offense. The guy has never scored more then 20 goals a season or put up more then 40 points. He can ask for $3.5 million, but there is no way he's getting that from anybody.

MFRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:17 PM
BluejacketNut

While I dont mind getting Upshaw for Klesla, im still concerned about our defense. Going down the stretch with Russell, Clitsome and Stralman concerns me, especially if we happen to sneak into the playoffs

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:18 PM
kshymkiw

Quote:
Thanks Hillard. Anyone there for that game heard Rusty screaming. It was horrible.
I was there. The hit wasn't dirty. 2 guys battling for a puck....this is a contact sport and it happens.

His "bruised knee" wasn't a result of a dirty hit either. He puts himself in vulnerable situations (bad hockey sense).