HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Klesla traded to Phoenix for Upshall and Lepisto

Old
02-28-2011, 03:19 PM
jetbluejackets

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
Thanks Hillard. Anyone there for that game heard Rusty screaming. It was horrible.
not a dirty hit in the least...unfortunate/unlucky, yes, but not at all dirty

jetbluejackets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:24 PM
Gulvorn

You know it's kind of sad that people are bashing our own fans just because they liked Klesla and think he's a good player.

Gulvorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:25 PM
GScott

Quote:
Usually what I hear is how our dmen are too small, too out of position, too stupid to breath right. Come on...
2 of those 3 apply to Klesla. He frequently looked lost and was too slow to react. His breakout passes usually went to no one or the other team. He just does not fit Arniel's system and now we are free of the additional 3 years on his contract.

I'm not convinced Howson will do anything this summer but the CBJ are better now than they were yesterday. Klesla has not been present for the current turnaround and who knows how many games he was going to play the rest of this season. With Stralman out with a knee injury we needed another dman that could move the puck. TSN described Lepisto as an upgrade over Stralman and he has a pretty good shot from the blueline.

A few days ago so many were up in arms over Howson destroying the chemistry by potentially trading a roster player. He managed to upgrade the team without moving any roster players and suddenly we are done. I'm sorry that some people's favorite player was traded but the CBJ have a better chance of making the playoffs without him.

GScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:25 PM
kshymkiw

Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulvorn View Post
You know it's kind of sad that people are bashing our own fans just because they liked Klesla and think he's a good player.
I am not basing any fan. If you think Rusty was our top 1/2 D-men, then I am going to argue that. If you think a guy who has played 102 games in the last 3 years couldn't/shouldn't be moved...I am going to argue that.

kshymkiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:28 PM
Gulvorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshymkiw View Post
I am not basing any fan. If you think Rusty was our top 1/2 D-men, then I am going to argue that. If you think a guy who has played 102 games in the last 3 years couldn't/shouldn't be moved...I am going to argue that.
I wasn't talking about you.

I'm perfectly fine with people arguing how good he was and such and his history but people making it personal and attacking people just because they have a different opinion is pretty stupid.

Old
02-28-2011, 03:29 PM
blahblah

Quote:
I can safely say you aren't going to get much support when the Tyutin bashing starts up again.

We should be allowed the time to morn the moving on of the last original Jacket. He should be treated with the respect he deserves, as well as the fans that enjoyed his play.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:31 PM
kshymkiw

Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I can safely say you aren't going to get much support when the Tyutin bashing starts up again.
I know. I get bashed for saying how well Tyutin has been for us. Oh well such is the territory on HFBOARDS.

kshymkiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:33 PM
GrimReeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulvorn View Post
He might if he hits UFA. He has never even played for this team. Why would he take a usual team discount to stay here? Why would the Coyotes trade one of their best forwards unless they couldn't resign him? He's obviously looking for more than 3M and probably even more than 3.5M...and that was with the team that he loved playing for.
No No No No NO. Upshall will not get anywhere remotely CLOSE to 4 million. 40 point players who aren't rookies don't get that kind of a raise.

If he is lucky he would get 3 million on the open market. I don't think he would even get that in today's NHL. That's just not a good bang for your buck in the era of the salary cap.

Upshall will be signed by someone for 3 million or under this summer. Whether or not he wants to stay with the CBJ we'll find out.

GrimReeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:33 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHole23 View Post
I am not bashing her opinion I am bashing this craziness. "f Scott howson"

Really? Lol
I say "F Scott Howson" on a daily basis. It's quite a stress reliever.

Nothing crazy about that.

Old
02-28-2011, 03:34 PM
blahblah

Quote:
I know. I get bashed for saying how well Tyutin has been for us. Oh well such is the territory on HFBOARDS.
I'm guessing you missed the point.

Old
02-28-2011, 03:38 PM
GScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
While I dont mind getting Upshaw for Klesla, im still concerned about our defense. Going down the stretch with Russell, Clitsome and Stralman concerns me, especially if we happen to sneak into the playoffs
I would be surprised if Stralman plays again this season. His knee injury was bad enough that they sent him home from the road trip. Knee injuries don't heal quickly. Just ask Klesla

That is one of the reasons why this trade makes sense. Lepisto will take Stralman's place in the lineup. I'm one of the bigger Howson critics but I am glad the day went as it did. I wanted a big splash for a top center or #1 dman but those type of deals are done at the draft. After listening to TSN all day and the demands for the players available I'm glad Howson didn't overpay. I still firmly believe he screwed up earlier this season by not getting some of the others that were moved but it was a sellers market this year.

GScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:38 PM
FiveHole23

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I say "F Scott Howson" on a daily basis. It's quite a stress reliever.

Nothing crazy about that.
I guess the difference is you don't come to hfboards in tears looking for comfort.

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:46 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHole23 View Post
I guess the difference is you don't come to hfboards in tears looking for comfort.
Generally, I don't come here looking to be insulted, looked down upon, and dismissed as some kind of weepy oh-no-my-eye-candy-is-gone puckbunny.

Strangely, such things get provided anyways. How generous!

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:48 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

I am now rooting for the Blue Jackets for the rest of the year.

Bye Scottie

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:55 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Bottom line is we aren't going anywhere. We've been told how the organization would get us what we need. All we got was more of the same. And if you think for one minute that Howson is going to pick up anything more over the summer....well...good luck on that one. He isn't spending money. He isn't investing in us. Just more lies.

Klesla got hurt by dirty plays from other teams. No one is immune to that. No one.
Noted, when you are wrong I will bring this back up.

Love this trade. Thank you for 10 years Rusty.

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:56 PM
ca5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
...what the bloody hell is wrong with you people?

Was I the only person who actually watched his playoff performance? Or how he was playing earlier this year before the injury? Or the year before, for that matter? Or when he was opposite Adam Foote and, later, Jan Hejda?

No amount of persistent delusion on your part is going to make him any worse of a player. He's an effective defenseman who was traded due to injury history. I know that's hard for y'all to accept that someone can actually find a useful niche despite your skyhigh expectations, but, y'know what? It happens, it happened, and it's for real. To hell with what he looks like on a poster; I care about what he looked like on the ice, and what he looked like - after XGMDM left - was a hard-hitting, tenacious, persistent second-pairing defensive defenseman with an extra gear in the playoffs.

DEAL. WITH. IT.
"hard hitting, tenacious, persistent????" What player were you watching??? I give credit he played ok in the 4 game playoffs but that's 4 games in 10 years. We have 2 young guys in the minors ready to step in next year in Moore and Savard and maybe even Holden. All three bring more to the club that Klesla does. We dumped a big contract and didn't give up anything, he has constantly been injured and that's not going to change, he has had a "bruised knee" for a month and a half, he's the glass jaw joe of the Jackets and can't play hurt or with pain and I don't believe he can crack the top 6 we currently have, who sits when he comes back in April from his bruise?? It's no secret that we have played VERY well in his absense. He's too big and slow to fit Arneals system and the puck is not his friend in the least. He brings the losing mentality of 10 years with him, I'm very happy he's gone. DEAL.WITH.IT

ca5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:58 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Noted, when you are wrong I will bring this back up.

Love this trade. Thank you for 10 years Rusty.
Why? Folks are a tad bitter. Sometimes silly things get said then. I had a similar reaction initially to the Zherdev/Fritsche trade, but felt better afterwards. Heck, I feel much better about it nowadays (tho I'm extremely disappointed in those two...).

Give it time, and in the meantime, let's all try to avoid the jackassery, 'kay?

Old
02-28-2011, 03:59 PM
FiveHole23

What's done is done. There is no need to make 10 different post saying "f this, f that, f him" because we traded your favorite player. That to me is not a good poster, or a good fan for that matter. Sorry if I am mean about it.

The bottom line is we are a better team today. That should be enough comfort.

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:01 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca5150 View Post
"hard hitting, tenacious, persistent????" What player were you watching??? I give credit he played ok in the 4 game playoffs but that's 4 games in 10 years. We have 2 young guys in the minors ready to step in next year in Moore and Savard and maybe even Holden. All three bring more to the club that Klesla does. We dumped a big contract and didn't give up anything, he has constantly been injured and that's not going to change, he has had a "bruised knee" for a month and a half, he's the glass jaw joe of the Jackets and can't play hurt or with pain and I don't believe he can crack the top 6 we currently have, who sits when he comes back in April from his bruise?? It's no secret that we have played VERY well in his absense. He's too big and slow to fit Arneals system and the puck is not his friend in the least. He brings the losing mentality of 10 years with him, I'm very happy he's gone. DEAL.WITH.IT
I am not in the mood to deal with your garbage. I know you have an agenda. Everybody knows you have an agenda. I was predicting your arrival as soon as I saw the trade, because it's the ONLY thing you have EVER talked about for YEARS.

Go away.

Old
02-28-2011, 04:02 PM
Ludicrous Speed

We've been fine without Rusty, we got rid of his salary, and we got a new Raffi Torres, at least for the remainder of the year. Not to mention a decent puck-mover in Lepisto.

The only reason I don't like the trade is because Rusty was a monster in the few playoff games we played. Everything else about it is a win.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:04 PM
hip check
Go North.

Looks like a win for Columbus. Tough to lose Klesla, but it makes sense. Thank you Klesla for all of your work over the years. Best of luck with the Yotes.

hip check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:05 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Yes he was a monster in the playoffs, so what? We can't even get there. We need guys who can play 82 games.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:05 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
We've been fine without Rusty, we got rid of his salary, and we got a new Raffi Torres, at least for the remainder of the year. Not to mention a decent puck-mover in Lepisto.

The only reason I don't like the trade is because Rusty was a monster in the few playoff games we played. Everything else about it is a win.
In terms of pure value, this. I'm also not fond of losing a character guy who was the last Original Blue Jacket, but I'm willing to give Upshall and Lepisto a chance to win me over. Tyutin managed to do so, after all.

Old
02-28-2011, 04:12 PM
ca5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by GScott View Post
How exactly did Columbus get hosed? Look at Klesla's history since the lockout:

2010-2011 set to miss 20+ games
2009-2010 played 26 games
2008-2009 played 34 games
2007-2008 played 82 games
2006-2007 played 75 games
2005-2006 played 51 games

His claim to fame is playing 2 good playoff games and Howson gave him a contract based on that. There is no guarantee he would ever play at that level again. Everyone forgets about the rumors and stuff posted in December about certain players not being upset at losing. I would guess he was one of them.

Bottomline is Howson was able to get a gritty winger that can score and play 2nd line minutes and a puck moving defenseman for a non roster player. Personally I don't think it was a coincidence that the CBJ have been playing their best hockey of the season with him on IR. Even if Upshall and Lepisto don't pan out at least the CBJ are free of his contract and can use that money for Richards or the much needed defense revamp this summer.
I couldn't agree more, he never looked angry, happy, sad....no emotion whatsoever, looked like he was happy to collect an overpriced paycheck and that's about it...I haven't seen one NHL expert analyst say Phoenix got the best of this one...

ca5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:13 PM
Gulvorn

Phoenix got a 5th for Upshall.

That basically means this trade equates to Klesla for a 5th, 5th, Byers, and 2nd and a 3rd.