HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

No relocation coming [Jimmy Devellano]

Old
03-04-2011, 02:16 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
No relocation coming [Jimmy Devellano]

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....-+MLive.com%29

Wings aren't re-aligning to Eastern Conference any time soon....

Quote:
[N]o NHL franchises are on the verge of relocating, to Winnipeg or anywhere else, according to Red Wings senior vice president Jimmy Devellano.

ďI donít foresee any shift of any franchises, based on what I know, and Iím in tune with whatís happening in the league,Ē Devellano said.
ďI think thatís pure Toronto media (speculation),Ē Devellano said. ďItís about getting another franchise in Canada. Letís hope someday they do.
ď(But) Iím told the Phoenix thing (Matthew Hulsizerís deal with the city of Glendale to purchase the Coyotes) is just about done. I havenít heard about Atlanta or anybody else (possibly relocating)."

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 02:25 AM
Hawker14

Well that settles it then.

Hawker14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 02:30 AM
Brodie
voted best

this article is from like almost 24 hours ago before any of the day's news like the Scruggs presser. I don't think Jimmy D would break any relocation news anyway, he's simply repeating the NHL's boilerplate response (not to mention riddled with the writer's interpretations)

This is essentially the same thing as taking Bettman saying "we have no plans to relocate any teams at the moment" and creating a thread called "NO RELOCATION BECAUSE BETTMAN SAID SO". Consider the source, we're dealing with a member of the BOG... and we all know how freely they speak about such issues.

Last edited by Brodie: 03-04-2011 at 02:40 AM.
Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 02:39 AM
Ernie

yeah, not much of a news story really. he's just towing the league's official line.

I do think he's right in that no relocation announcement is imminent though.

As for the Wings moving conferences, how would that happen? Last time I checked Phoenix is in the same conference that Detroit is.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 04:45 AM
Jeffrey93

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post

If Phoenix moved to Winnipeg and Atlanta moved to Hamilton or Quebec City....the Red Wings wouldn't move to the East...no re-alignment would be necessary between Conferences.

Jeffrey93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 05:05 AM
MAROONSRoad
f/k/a Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post

How is this thread worthy? Multiple sources have confirmed trouble with the deal in Phoenix. The article you posted was published before Mayor Scruggs' press conference where she made the comment that GWI's threats were "significantly hindering" the sale:

Quote:
In possibly the most direct quote yet about the urgency of the situation, Scruggs said of the deal — and the watchdog Goldwater Institute's threats of a lawsuit that have held up the completion of financing thus far — "We are now at a point where time has run out."
http://www.foxsportsarizona.com/03/0...78&feedID=3702

Later yesterday, it was reported

Quote:
Bettman said on XM Satellite Radio that he hasn’t set a pull the plug date for the Coyotes-Glendale-Hulsizer deal but that the NHL would have at some point start looking at alternatives.
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/m...s.html?ana=twt

None of that means a deal won't be completed in Glendale or that a team will be relocated; however, it does contradict the earlier statement by Devellano that all is well and that the deal is more or less done.

GHOST

MAROONSRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 05:11 AM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
yeah, not much of a news story really. he's just towing the league's official line.

As for the Wings moving conferences, how would that happen? Last time I checked Phoenix is in the same conference that Detroit is.
Atlanta might move as well... KC has an arena, built in 2007, ready to go.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 09:31 AM
cbcwpg

I'm kind of surprised a VP said anything, but all he is saying is what Hulsizer is saying as to the deal will close. Nothing really being said.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 09:34 AM
Fidel Astro

vCash: 148
I think this thread is kind of misleading, even after his name was attached to the title ...or it should be at least merged with the Phoenix thread.

Fidel Astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 09:38 AM
garnetpalmetto
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
yeah, not much of a news story really. he's just toeing the league's official line.

FTFY. Sorry, but that's a pet peeve of mine. It's "toe[ing] the line," not "tow[ing] the line."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
Atlanta might move as well... KC has an arena, built in 2007, ready to go.
Personally I think the Sprint Center's main value to owners around the League now is that it's a *possible* relocation site, even if nobody really wants to relocate there. Look at it this way - in the early to mid '90s, a whole slate of MLB teams were looking for new parks - the White Sox, Giants, Twins Rangers, and Mariners all flirted with moving to Tampa and playing in what was then called the Florida Suncoast Dome, which was a park without a team. Only one team was really *serious* about relocating to Tampa - the Giants actually had a deal in principle with new owners in Tampa before the League nixed the move. The fact that the Suncoast Dome was open and just waiting for a tenant no doubt was a strong bargaining chip for teams desiring a new stadium or other concessions. Finally the Suncoast Dome got a tenant (aside from that period where the Lightning played there) when the Devil Rays were created as an expansion team.

I think the Sprint Center has had and will have a similar function to the Suncoast Dome - that of a bargaining chip. When Mario Lemieux flew to KC and toured the Center and met with local leaders, his desire wasn't to actually move the Penguins, but to light a fire under local government to get something done. Kansas City may get an NHL expansion franchise down the road, but aside from that I think Kansas City and, perhaps, Winnipeg and Quebec City will be to the NHL what Tampa, Charlotte, and Phoenix were to MLB - viable, but not necessarily desirable, places to relocate in order to extract the concessions desired by various owners.

garnetpalmetto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 10:53 AM
Jesus Christ Horburn

Why is this thread not merged with one of the other existing threads regarding Winnipeg and Phoenix?

Jesus Christ Horburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 11:10 AM
aparch

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
Only one team was really *serious* about relocating to Tampa - the Giants actually had a deal in principle with new owners in Tampa before the League nixed the move.
I've been told by some co-worker White Sox fans that the moving trucks were at old Comisky and were within minutes of loading them up at Midnight until the Illinois legislature signed a bill to okay the new park.

aparch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 11:40 AM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

thank you for posting the quote Lady Stanley.

ThrasherMinion is offline   Reply With Quote