HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[LAK/EDM] Dustin Penner to LAK for Colten Teubert, 1st 2011, Cond 2nd/3rd 2012

Old
02-28-2011, 11:23 PM
Kekumba

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kekumba Send a message via MSN to Kekumba Send a message via Skype™ to Kekumba
A few of the TSN analysts that I would call "stupid" are Barnaby and Simmons...both just said this is a great deal for LA and that they didn't overpay (Simmons even said it was cheap). That said, I've been watching TSN all day and I don't remember a thing they said earlier on about the deal, but I can't see all of them being against it from a Kings perspective.

Kekumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:28 PM
piston

Send a message via AIM to piston
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
we have someone who is twice as nasty as him in our prospect pool, but he is a forward.
TG, who?

piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:42 PM
The Kassian Train
228 LBS of Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kekumba View Post
A few of the TSN analysts that I would call "stupid" are Barnaby and Simmons...both just said this is a great deal for LA and that they didn't overpay (Simmons even said it was cheap). That said, I've been watching TSN all day and I don't remember a thing they said earlier on about the deal, but I can't see all of them being against it from a Kings perspective.
Pierre McGuire, Ray Ferraro and Craig MacTavish all believed that there was a bit of an overpayment and were questioning if this is what the Oilers were asking, they believed the asking price for Hemsky was a lot more.

That being said, I believe that Penner is a better fit with the Kings at this moment in time. In terms of the system the Kings play, Hemsky has had tons of injury problems in the past. Don't get me wrong, I love Hemsky's skill, but to part with Schenn would've been a huge gamble from the Kings' point of view.

Good move, but again time will tell which Penner the Kings will get. I wouldn't mind seeing a Kings vs Canucks WCF. I believe it'll be a physical end to end entertaining series.

Good Luck Kings

The Kassian Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:56 PM
BKBlackRanger
My Glove******Instagram

yall are huge up front

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_P-sP698sA

BKBlackRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:58 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
I'm not a huge Penner person, but he fit what the Kings need. You could make the case that he was the best forward to be traded, especially since Hemsky was not.

The draft is less fun when you don't have a first round pick (trust me), but the Kings have enough of those. The Kings had the most to give, and given the return, Schenn wasn't anywhere close to being in-play. Teubert was the guy most people around here would want involved in a high-profile trade since he was never going to make it with the Kings.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:06 AM
Roxo

Send a message via AIM to Roxo
I would of rather had chris stewart and I feel we over paid. but meh, hopefully penner brings his A game. I'l wait to judge this trade till I see how well penner plays.

Roxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:15 AM
HookKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxo View Post
I would of rather had chris stewart and I feel we over paid. but meh, hopefully penner brings his A game. I'l wait to judge this trade till I see how well penner plays.
Would you rather have Parse? That was the choice.

HookKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:26 AM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

Article from January about players in the doghouse. Penner has a good sense of humor.

Quote:
"When I was in the House of Dog in Anaheim," Penner says, "[Carlyle] was constantly poking and prodding, but he was also on young guys like [Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry]. He was just trying to make me the player I wanted to become.
The Doghouse Diaries

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:52 AM
boopronger

Oiler fan here. I think we got hosed in this deal. Penner will be a beast for you guys. I would bet money that he will get 35+ goals next year.

boopronger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:39 AM
BigKing
Spot Picker

I posted the following last night in the trade rumor thread:

I think Penner makes all kinds of sense but his past history of being called out for lazy play has many afraid of him. As far as I am concerned, that is in the past as he was very good last year and is putting up good numbers once again.

I believe he has made the most sense out of any of the rumored players LA is interested in due to position, age, contract and skill set. Go take a look at his numbers and tell me he wouldn't look good on Kopitar's wing.

My favorite stat of his, and a large reason why I'd love to have him with Kopitar, is his shooting percentage of 15.4% this season, following up a 15.8% season for last year. The following is a list of players with both more goals than Penner (Penner has 21) and a higher-or-equal-to shooting percentage: (From lowest percentage to highest)

Morrow
D. Sedin
Kessler
Stafford
D. Jones
Stamkos
Crosby
Lucic
Also of note is L. Eriksson and Giroux have better percentages but equal goal totals.

The only name on that list that jumps out is David Jones; he just picked up 3 goals this weekend to jump past Penner with 22 goals. While Jones may be a flash in the pan, the rest of those names are pretty legit. Anyone who doesn't think Penner is a finisher is wrong; the guy has a Cup Ring to boot.

I don't need a #1LW who is going to run people through the boards so him not crushing people with that size isn't going to bother me. We've got guys who can hit: this team needs a finisher.

Obviously, I'm excited about the trade as Penner was the guy I wanted; however, what has me pretty pumped is the price. I'm not saying that the pieces going back to Edmonton aren't valuable, they just aren't as valuable to LA due to the depth of the prospect pool.

This trade isn't a total win for the Kings at the Oilers' expense, it's just a total win because it's a very good fit at what many feel to be somewhat of a deal since Voynov, and especially any significant roster players, were not involved.

Lombardi finally cashed in some of the chips he's been collecting like he said he would. Great work.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:40 AM
Komarov47

How can a guy of 6'4, 245lbs, only made 63 hits ???? I've got some serious doubt about how he is using his body...

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:56 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
How can a guy of 6'4, 245lbs, only made 63 hits ???? I've got some serious doubt about how he is using his body...
Good thing we acquired him to score goals......with his stick....and not his body.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:47 AM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:

He is not a power forward - in any sense of the word... He is a big man who uses his body well to protect the puck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post

we know where Teubert falls as a prospect within our system and most will agree it wasn't a sacrifice for LA. where EDM has wingers in depth, LA has D prospects. i think the trade was good for both teams as it addressed needs for both sides.
Ignore some of the Edmonton bloggers quoted in this thread; just because someone blogs does not make them more knowledgeable...

This was a good trade for both sides... Oilers are still in stockpiling mode... Los Angeles got a complete goof... I mean that in a nice way - Greene & Penner are best buddies and complete jokers... If there are rumors in the morning about some drunk LA player running down the streets whooping it up - put your money on Greene...

Penner is the most relaxed / even keel player there is. And he is smart positionally... Great locker room guy; total class all the way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post

I may be Teubert's biggest supporter and I simply don't believe in Penner but it's nice to see DL deal from strength to aquire a need.
Considering where both teams are at - and considering the Oilers need toughness. And even more important...

From: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...751/story.html

The six-foot-four, 201-pounder from White Rock, B.C., had been playing video games with some buddies when he saw his name on the TSN ticker. Once the shock wore off, he turned his attentions to the opportunity that had landed on his doorstep. Not only was he going to have a chance to jump into the Barons’ run for the playoffs, he was going to be a part of the rebuilding Oilers, and he was going to play with Jordan Eberle again.

Teubert and Eberle played together with the Regina Pats and for Team Canada at the world junior championship.

“We always joked about retiring together,” he said during a break in his packing.

“This is just great news,” he continued. “The Kings had a strong roster with a lot of depth. For me, to be going to the Oilers, and having an opportunity to be a part of that organization is exciting.

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:57 AM
The Kassian Train
228 LBS of Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
I posted the following last night in the trade rumor thread:

I think Penner makes all kinds of sense but his past history of being called out for lazy play has many afraid of him. As far as I am concerned, that is in the past as he was very good last year and is putting up good numbers once again.

I believe he has made the most sense out of any of the rumored players LA is interested in due to position, age, contract and skill set. Go take a look at his numbers and tell me he wouldn't look good on Kopitar's wing.

My favorite stat of his, and a large reason why I'd love to have him with Kopitar, is his shooting percentage of 15.4% this season, following up a 15.8% season for last year. The following is a list of players with both more goals than Penner (Penner has 21) and a higher-or-equal-to shooting percentage: (From lowest percentage to highest)

Morrow
D. Sedin
Kessler
Stafford
D. Jones
Stamkos
Crosby
Lucic
Also of note is L. Eriksson and Giroux have better percentages but equal goal totals.

The only name on that list that jumps out is David Jones; he just picked up 3 goals this weekend to jump past Penner with 22 goals. While Jones may be a flash in the pan, the rest of those names are pretty legit. Anyone who doesn't think Penner is a finisher is wrong; the guy has a Cup Ring to boot.

I don't need a #1LW who is going to run people through the boards so him not crushing people with that size isn't going to bother me. We've got guys who can hit: this team needs a finisher.

Obviously, I'm excited about the trade as Penner was the guy I wanted; however, what has me pretty pumped is the price. I'm not saying that the pieces going back to Edmonton aren't valuable, they just aren't as valuable to LA due to the depth of the prospect pool.

This trade isn't a total win for the Kings at the Oilers' expense, it's just a total win because it's a very good fit at what many feel to be somewhat of a deal since Voynov, and especially any significant roster players, were not involved.

Lombardi finally cashed in some of the chips he's been collecting like he said he would. Great work.
I don't think anyone disagrees with you in regards to Penner being able to finish, but it's the system that Terry Murray coaches. Penner wasn't able to adapt to Craig MacTavish's system at all throughout his stint. It'll be up to Penner how he adapts to Terry Murray's system. I think if the Kings make it past the 2nd round, then yeah this deal looks pretty damn good for them. With that being said, if the Kings don't make it past the 2nd Round, you can't necessarily say the Kings lost this deal. Why?

Penner may adapt to the system next year, or Terry Murray figures out a way to utilize Penner in an effective matter. So with that being said, we won't know the true winner of this trade is until next year. Short term, Kings look like the winner because of the size and the potential finish Penner brings, but Edmonton won in the long term.

We'll see.

The Kassian Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 11:06 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Penner uses his body for puck possesion and getting superior position on defenders after him. He does not hit often, partially because he is good using leverage and his stick to retrieve the puck as opposed to taking the body.

Penner is great and you will love him.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:02 PM
Whiskeypete

Quote:
think back to some other great LW's that had his size. J LeClair and K Tkachuk two of may faves. both were more physical than Penner, but Penner is the same when it comes to using his body to set position and shield the puck from defenders. that is why Dean got him, not to take the body

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:03 PM
DelusionOIL

Oiler's fan here.

I honestly think that this particular deal is in your favor.

As a fan I was constantly frustrated with Penner's effort on the ice. I felt that he only competed like he could maybe 60-70% of the time. But when he did he is a very exciting talent. I think with the scenery change in L.A. that his effort level with improve drastically, definitely short term for your run into the playoff's. Beyond that, there are no guarantee's. But if I was a betting man, I would bet it continues.

Great in the locker room, well liked by team mates and still relatively young in the grand scheme of things, I think this is a great pick up for you guys.

With that said Teubert is not a sure thing, and in a reportedly weak draft class I dont think your first rounder wont be that much of a loss. You have a wealth of good young prospects, and good young NHL rookies.

This deal is close IMO, but I think L.A. walks away slightly ahead. Just my opinion as an Oil fan, take it for what its worth.

Cheers and good luck!

DelusionOIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:12 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Remember back when the Kings were last a buyer under DT?

DT traded two first rounders, Tambellini and Grebeshkov, for Brent Sopel and Mark Parrish and a top prospect for cell phone superstar Anson Carter.

We've come a long way.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:21 PM
LombardiTool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post

DT traded two first rounders, Tambellini and Grebeshkov, for Brent Sopel and Mark Parrish and a top prospect for cell phone superstar Anson Carter.

We've come a long way.
I still don't think Dean's 2nd year as a buyer was as good as his first!

LombardiTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:26 PM
Art Vanddelay

Awesome pickup for the Kings. I wanted "Big Pen" in Pittsburgh but it was not to be. The Western Conference playoffs are going to be awesome this year.

Good luck.

Art Vanddelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:28 PM
the word*

Quote:
I've seen many players rocked and dazed after collisions with Penner but it's when they run into him. Hes not very aggressive but he does protect the puck very well and has nice hands for such a big man. Hes overall a very good positional player as well and while not a fighter hell be the first player in to protect his teammates.

As for trade value you guys gave up probably just about what his value should be. You had the assets to give up and were the only team willing to step up on trade deadline day when nobody else in the western conference was willing to make a big move.

Finally, in a year where so many impact players are going down to injury it's almost a guarantee that Penner wont miss a single game.

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 04:04 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post

We've come a long way.
and yet, one could argue we won both of those trades...

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post

think back to some other great LW's that had his size. J LeClair and K Tkachuk two of may faves. both were more physical than Penner, but Penner is the same when it comes to using his body to set position and shield the puck from defenders.
Since you know those names; I will give you a better comparison.

Imagine a larger Dave Andreychuk.....

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 05:36 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 05:43 PM
Shellz