HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers' cap space

Old
03-01-2011, 12:36 PM
TimHortons
Gud Night

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthiasitchy View Post
I really don't know what this team is going to do. Tallon has been pretty interesting in the last couple weeks and has definitely shed a ton of salary. With Vokoun coming off the books among others it'll be interesting to see what this team looks like. I don't think too many of the guys we have now are "locks" for next season. Tallon seems to be in full bulldozer mode.

After looking through the crop of free agents this season, I don't see anyone particularly significant. Most of the guys are 2nd and 3rd tier forwards that will only add to our collection of third liners. This makes me think that Tallon will go with the route of the rookies. Dress as many as he can and add a couple complimentary guys. It's interesting to read his comments about how this off-season will be "hot and heavy", so I do expect him to be busy, I just don't know with what. There isn't a ton of great players and Tallon would be stupid to sign a bunch of them long term. Right now I see our team looking like this for next season (lots of holes)

Dadanov-Weiss-Skille
Booth-Santorelli-Bergfors(still a question though)
xxxx-Reasoner(maybe)-Repik
Hordichuk-Matthias-xxxx

Kulikov-xxxx
Ellerby-Gudbranson
xxxx-xxxx

Vokoun
Clemmenson

Our forward core is very similar to what we had before, but there's holes. I don't want those holes filled with better forwards. Just because on paper we have an opening on 3rd line LW doesn't mean we should sign a 3rd line LWer. I think Tallon might be thinking of trading for one. We have a ton of defensive prospects and I don't think DT will go into a season with Kulikov being our "veteran" on the blue line. I could see a trade for someone significant and giving up some of our defensive guys, and then signing some after July 1st since there is a decent group of d-men available.

There's no telling what Tallon is planning at this point, but what is for sure is that this off-season is going to be a rollercoaster.
Weaver and Garry on the back-end are still signed.

TimHortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 08:42 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Yeah, that Sedin scenario aint happening, that's for sure!
Anything can happen. Not likely to happen but still has a .000001% chance of happening

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
There really isnt any true "rumor" that Olesz is going to be bought out. Its mostly just us guessing that the team is planning to do it seeing how expensive he is and lack of production and inability to stay healthy. On the forwards, I could see Tallon taking on a big salaried player on a short deal to offload Olesz (see my suggestion of Drury).

Just an FYI, 2 d-men most likely wont happen unless you consider Sulzer one of them. I'm guessing they bring him back since he wont be very expensive.

On the goalie front, I would expect Niemi being signed since he was a Tallon find so long as he isnt too expensive (< $3M).
Sharks sign G Niemi for $15.2M, 4 years

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 08:59 PM
Rydgar

I don't see any reason not to sign Richards (even if its overpaying) as long as it isn't longer than 3-4 years. Consider it like holding cap space when the prospects need raises. Its good to have guys like him to help mentor the new forwards possibly joining this team.

Rydgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 09:25 PM
asleepinthechapel

We should attempt to sign Ehrhoff as well to be our long term #1 Dman.

asleepinthechapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 10:16 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
Sharks sign G Niemi for $15.2M, 4 years
LOL...well missed that one by 4 hrs huh? TSN had the article posted at 3:15pm. I think $3.8M per for Niemi is a little more than I would've like to sign him for. Might've gone up to $3.25M but thats a stretch to me. Plus we wouldnt have signed him for more than 2 yrs so guess that means he wouldnt have come here. The alternative is then to sign someone like Theodore or whoever else is available for cheap. Or maybe trade for Niittymaki now that Niemi has signed long term (Clemmensen for Niitty would save the Sharks enough to sign a 4th liner).

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 10:13 AM
RainingRats

With the likely NFL lockout and potential(?) NBA lockout on the horizon we need to make a big splash be it offer sheet or trade to acquire a star player to generate some buzz and attract new fans. If we ice another loser it's going to be a huge waste of an enormous opportunity to hook people who will be desperate for some sports entertainment.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:29 PM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

I was looking at the UFA's and two names that popped out at me were thomas fleischmann-I think he would fit well as a first/second line center. And especially Alexander Frolov-the kid has put up consistent numbers even when the kings sucked. Although frolov has been injured most of the year i like his age and potential upside.

And on D i saw erhoff, salo, and bieksa all available one of those three canucks i think would be a good defensemen here.

And Ilya Bryzagalov is available but i doubt he will be by July 1st-The coyotes would be awful if they didnt resign him-he is far and away their MVP

Last edited by PanthersHockey1: 03-02-2011 at 12:36 PM.
PanthersHockey1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:41 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

vCash: 536
I just signed Zach Parise on NHL 11, ahhh it's so beautiful

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:53 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersflames1 View Post
I was looking at the UFA's and two names that popped out at me were thomas fleischmann-I think he would fit well as a first/second line center. And especially Alexander Frolov-the kid has put up consistent numbers even when the kings sucked. Although frolov has been injured most of the year i like his age and potential upside.

And on D i saw erhoff, salo, and bieksa all available one of those three canucks i think would be a good defensemen here.

And Ilya Bryzagalov is available but i doubt he will be by July 1st-The coyotes would be awful if they didnt resign him-he is far and away their MVP
Please no. I watched him play with the rangers once he was traded. He's basically Frolik. The only move he does is the wraparound, he has no hands to speak of, he's not particularly fast, etc. I have zero interest in getting him.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 01:05 PM
ShootIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
Please no. I watched him play with the rangers once he was traded. He's basically Frolik. The only move he does is the wraparound, he has no hands to speak of, he's not particularly fast, etc. I have zero interest in getting him.
+1.

And with Fleichmann, who knows if he can play in the NHL anymore.
Forget what exactly happened to him, but it could cut his career short.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 01:25 PM
TimHortons
Gud Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
+1.

And with Fleichmann, who knows if he can play in the NHL anymore.
Forget what exactly happened to him, but it could cut his career short.
Pulmonary Embolisms I think.

I'd go after Laich, Upshall, Ehrhoff(discounted), and Jovo. Possibly OS Stammer.

TimHortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 01:29 PM
Mase

If by some act 'o God Richards does end up down here(I just don't see it), I'd be thrilled, but I'd also like to see a player like Upshall down here...for the right price.

Players like Frolov just don't fit the mold of what Tallon & Co. are looking for.

They want Size(who doesn't), Speed(who doesn't), and Skill(see size & speed), but above all else I think they just want physicality. For far too long this team has been filled with guys that may skate around the rink fast, and have some size, but just seem afraid to finish they're damn checks, afraid to take the body. What they need are 2-3 Cal Clutterbuck clones, but then again, as stated with relation to the earlier attributes...Who doesn't.

Mase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 01:32 PM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Fairly up to date list of 2011 UFAs:

http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/2010...l-free-agents/

Florida Panthers: 2014 NHL Entry Draft Lottery...Winners?
Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 01:54 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
There's nothing on that list that's going to turn our team around next season.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 02:02 PM
asleepinthechapel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
You don't think Richards + Ehrhoff, and some other bits and pieces could make us play-off contenders? Assuming we resign Vokoun, that's a pretty strong team.

asleepinthechapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 02:43 PM
Bystander

Quote:
you expecting the cup next year? i'd settle for a good team that gets us into the playoffs and allows us to start integrating our young players...

Bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 03:01 PM
ShootIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bystander View Post
you expecting the cup next year? i'd settle for a good team that gets us into the playoffs and allows us to start integrating our young players...
+1.

If we can get one of the Big 3 forwards in this draft, I would like to see Tallon spend some money on players like Laich, Upshall and even Richards. Even though, except for Richards, they are not first line players they can help out this team and I'm tired of watching this team suck.

So if we could resign Vokoun, and then get Erhoff and Richards, this team would be officially cursed if we do not make the playoffs.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 03:32 PM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
Quote:
Don't need to, need another high draft pick, leading into a better FA offseason.

CatscratchFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 03:39 PM
luby3131

why not offer sheet Stamkos? think about it, let's say we offer him a 7 year/$70m deal. he's obviously going to sign the offer sheet. the likely scenario is tampa matches, meaning they have to clear some salary, which will set them back a few years. and if they dont match? well we get one of the top 3 players in the league and get to build around him. this would also make the rivalry with tampa brutal. i'm all for this

luby3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 04:07 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by luby3131 View Post
why not offer sheet Stamkos? think about it, let's say we offer him a 7 year/$70m deal. he's obviously going to sign the offer sheet. the likely scenario is tampa matches, meaning they have to clear some salary, which will set them back a few years. and if they dont match? well we get one of the top 3 players in the league and get to build around him. this would also make the rivalry with tampa brutal. i'm all for this
It's not obvious at all, and offer sheets havent worked for any of the teams who've tried it. It completely stunts our growth as well. Offer sheets aren't a realistic possibility.

03-02-2011, 04:22 PM
luby3131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
It's not obvious at all, and offer sheets havent worked for any of the teams who've tried it. It completely stunts our growth as well. Offer sheets aren't a realistic possibility.
but im not saying were gonna get him. im saying we will screw tampa with a small chance of helping ourselves. the biggest player i can remember being stolen via offer sheer is penner, and lets be honest, stamkos is 50x better. it might be smarter just to wait until 2012 and offer sheet tavares, because by then the core of bjugstad, gudbranson, kulikov, howden, our 1st round pick in 2011 (id bet sean couturier is tallons man), and out 1st round pick in 2012 (most likely top 5, yakupov? frk? grigorenko?) will give us talent to compete. if it goes according to plan (assuming weiss is eventually moved) it could look something like this in 2012-2013:

Tavares (who many scouts believe is a winger) - Couturier - 2012 top pick (Yakupov/Frk)
Booth - Bjugstad - Dadonov
Howden - Shore - Skille
Jenks/Wilson - Reasoner - ???

Gudbranson - Kulikov
Robak - Ellerby
Garrison - Petrovic
Sulzer

Markstrom
????
Sulzer

luby3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 04:24 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by luby3131 View Post
You have to be a piece of crap to pull this. We know Tampa will match, so you're deliberately undermining their team by pulling that. Tallon wouldn't do it because he isn't an *******, and if a GM did pull that, they'd probably never have a trading partner again and they'd also get wrecked once it came back around and Tampa could do that to us.

I disagree with Laus723 because picking up a guy like Stamkos is more valuable than 4 first round picks to a team that would get him IMO. Long term, yes, those 4 first rounders may come back to bite you in the ass, but by getting Stamkos, you'd be pushing to put together a good team so they'd be later first picks. You can build with second rounders and with the guys in the system already if you need to when you have that star like Stammer. In a fantasy world, we pick up Stamkos, sign Brad Richards, bring in Erhoff and Babchuk, resign Vokoun, and pick up a guy like Simon Gagne and then we're an okay team that will probably claim the 4th-7th seed. None of those things would ever happen though and I don't even know if we would have the cap space to get all that done.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 04:58 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
You have to be a piece of crap to pull this. We know Tampa will match, so you're deliberately undermining their team by pulling that. Tallon wouldn't do it because he isn't an *******, and if a GM did pull that, they'd probably never have a trading partner again and they'd also get wrecked once it came back around and Tampa could do that to us.

I disagree with Laus723 because picking up a guy like Stamkos is more valuable than 4 first round picks to a team that would get him IMO. Long term, yes, those 4 first rounders may come back to bite you in the ass, but by getting Stamkos, you'd be pushing to put together a good team so they'd be later first picks. You can build with second rounders and with the guys in the system already if you need to when you have that star like Stammer. In a fantasy world, we pick up Stamkos, sign Brad Richards, bring in Erhoff and Babchuk, resign Vokoun, and pick up a guy like Simon Gagne and then we're an okay team that will probably claim the 4th-7th seed. None of those things would ever happen though and I don't even know if we would have the cap space to get all that done.
I don't think we should offer sheet anyone in fear of retaliation because we're going to hopefully have some quality young guys coming up through the system who will be re-signed for big money. We offer sheet Stamkos, and one of Kulikov, Guds, or whomever is more likely to get an offer sheet and we're not exactly a rich team. Then again, one of our guys could get offer sheeted without us doing that so in a way it's just part of the game.

I'm not sure if I'm correct but don't they get a window to negotiate one on one with Stamkos before he becomes an RFA. They could extend him now, iirc which means they'll never risk letting him get offer sheeted.

The fantasy team you created would probably win the division.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 05:24 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post

Are you saying we need to do all those things to be competitive? What you pick together is basically an All-Star team.

Also, regarding the whole Stamkos/RFA thing, I would hope that Tallon is a business man first, and wouldn't care about being seen as an *******.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote