HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Post trade deadline discussion

Old
02-28-2011, 02:40 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

vCash: 500
No wonder PG had to take the plane down to Atlanta today...The Drew MacIntyre deal is HUUUUGE.

What a bum, honestly. Cap space to spare, and no moves. Not even a waiver pickup, despite several good players being available.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 02:40 PM
compile

vCash: 611
Worthless trade.
The issue isn't the net. Its the other side of it. Those that put it in.

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 02:41 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Apologies for the threads being a mess. HF is really blowing up.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
gusfring

Neil not coming here. Murray on now.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Souvenirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovaless View Post
I think this was a failure. Why for the love of god can we not get 1 big, physical power forward that can score 25+ goals. That is what we need. Period. Sorry, but pleks and cammy are going to get stepped on in the playoffs.
I know you have to overpay. If your serious about a cup run, fricking do it.
So you'd be willing tot give up Price/Subban/Eller ?

Souvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
walsy37

I don't have an issue with inactivity. If the price is too high then I don't need a trade just for the sake of trading. I do have an issue with overpaying (Mara for a fifth) and not getting enough for your players (O'Byrne, Lappy, Dags, Chips, Halak and others). If you are going to trade a person who plays in the NHL - you get back a NHL player or a real good draft pick.
PG has simply not done this and has given away NHL players for nothing and has overpaid when he has traded for depth.

walsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 02:42 PM
Roke

The Bergfors-Dvorak deal makes no sense for Atlanta; I don't know what Dudley is thinking there. Bergfors is the better player and is merely an RFA while Dvorak is an UFA after this season.

I think the Oilers got a very bad return in the Penner deal. Teubert isn't anything near a can't-miss prospect and a late first is a late first. Getting that for a tough-minutes first-line forward (With size!) who has one year left on his contract is underwhelming.

It must suck to be an Oilers fan; between burning years on junior-aged entry-level contracts and trading one of your two legitimate first-line forwards for peanuts the management doesn't have a clue. Unless they draft a Crosby-calibre player they're a long, long way from contending.

Roke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Hab-a-maniac

Everyone whining is hilarious. We should not be mortgaging our future for a playoff where we won't be winning. And Lappy went for more this time because it's the deadline. Teams are more desperate and willing to overpay. It doesn't make the Laps trade look good but that coward wasn't going to be the difference in us getting our ***** kicked by Boston. I get pessimistic like anyone but this year? WTF were you all expecting? Such a ****ing bipolar fanbase. All we hear is whining when we do make a trade so what's the point? I don't consider Gauthier a genius but gimme a break. That Penner deal I want no part of. The rumour of "Tinordi + 1st" was thankfully just that. If it went down, it'd be "going for it" as people want, but a horrible deal.

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Lapierres gonna kill it in Vancouver. I'm disappointed that gather got less for him than Anaheim. Jesus Christ.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Hey, ForzaHabs. I called Richards staying in Dallas. Am I a hockey insider now ?

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Crystal Met

well.. i was not expecting a huge trade but at least some grit on the 3-4th line... this sucks

Crystal Met is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
gusfring

Good thing spacek is on litr to make room for McIntyre!

Old
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
With all due respect hogtownhabsfan, but aside from Wisniewski, those are extremely minor pickups. Compared to what Boston and Philly did, our acquisitions are a joke.
Look, we lost arguably our top 2 defenseman for the year quite early on. To mortgage our future for a run this year would have been irresponsible, especially considering the shape of our farm as is.

If Markov and Gorges were healthy, and we were playing like an elite team, then yea make a move for a Penner. I like what PG has done. He's added just enough where we should be able to compete in the playoffs, and he hasn't hurt our long term future for a year when we are without arguably our top 2 D.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
walsy37

FTR - I would have picked up Sturm to play with pleks and cammy

walsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 02:43 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Why do they send White to hamilton?

GOD DAM ****!

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Considering what happened today..huge overpayment for Penner in my opinion. No big players really got traded. Gauthier didn't have his 2nd round pick to throw around and I certainly didn't want him to move the 1st. We already moved our 4th and 5th picks.
Unless it's a clear upgrade and for more than just a season, I didn't want to give up anymore picks.

Not surprised the clueless fanbase will whine at Gauthier though.
Not surprised that you have and continue to back the franchise on every single move/non move.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I cannot believe Lappy went for more than what we traded him for.

That is unbelievable. That is very, very bad.
yup...

sums up what I've been saying for a while now.

This organization/management group continually gets the raw end of the deal when moving assets.

PG was part of Gainey's "team", and seems to be operating in a similar fashion.

The Lapierre deal is undeniable. He's been nothing short of a disaster for the Ducks, and yet they get more for him than they traded to get him just 2 months ago...

likewise, I'd say that both the Bryan Allen and Dennis Wideman trades emphasize how misguided it was to trade the assets we did for Mara/Sopel.

both are marginal band-aids, and should not have cost the prospect + 4th & 5th round picks that they did.

Not when Wideman goes for an ECHL prospect (further away from NHL duty than Maxwell, and older) + 3rd, or when Allen goes for the ever underperforming Samsonov (I'm AMAZED that Tallon traded Allen for him, seems completely inconsistent with his roster building approach/philosophy, and must mean that he had no half-decent offers on the table).

I don't care that PG did nothing today, and I'm actually thrilled that we didn't get Penner (pleased that the Kings chose a different offer, but not so pleased if the Tinordi+1st rumors are true), but on the whole, PG has lost my support...

and won't get it back until he shows that he is capable of being a GM that gets the better end of the transactions when it comes to managing his assets.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
No wonder PG had to take the plane down to Atlanta today...The Drew MacIntyre deal is HUUUUGE.

What a bum, honestly. Cap space to spare, and no moves. Not even a waiver pickup, despite several good players being available.
Exactly... Sturm or even Zherdev would have been nice... but no, nothing...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

so the habs picked up drew macintyre?

PG dealing with vince mcmahon? He was way off

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
compile

vCash: 611
I have an issue of deciding not to do anything with a mediocre team

I would have accept if he would have sold.

This team is going no where fast. Molson must be fermenting beer on his head right now.

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
gusfring

Did the Kings give up Schenn or Bernier?

Old
AntonCH

they say timing is everything
Laps turned into more for ANA due to timing and other teams needs

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 02:44 PM
Charlie Milles*
Uh... Go Canucks?

I loved watching MacIntyre in Sherbrooke. Hopefully the Habs come to Halifax for a pre-season game in September. I'd love to see him again. Wore #00 for the Castor.

Charlie Milles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 02:45 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
This fanbase is funny, Its like if the trade isn't made on deadline day it never happened. Sopel, Mara and Wiz were added in. We all wanted a forward with Size but those guys aren't had for peanuts. I mean Zenon Konpka's asking price was a 2nd rounder. Cmon.
It kind of makes sense now, seems like Vancouver really wanted a 4th line center grinder. They thought Konopka was to expensive so they went a little cheaper with Lapierre but seemingly the Ducks must of heard about how much Isles were asking for Konopka and may have even called about him. They used the info to raise the price for Lappy and replaced him easily with Winchester.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 02:45 PM
deandebean

I was right: PG runs the ship like he used to run the Hens: financially tight. To the pleasure of Geoff, I'm sure. He plugs, but he doesn't spend.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote