HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

With the recent grinders, agitators...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-01-2011, 12:37 AM
  #1
PensFan6687
Registered User
 
PensFan6687's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,999
vCash: 500
With the recent grinders, agitators...

Added to the team, think there are any flaws to this team going into this playoffs? Want your thoughts. Depth in goal is insane. You have scoring depth, agitators, physical players, good quality dmen. If anything takes this team down, what is it?

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:23 AM
  #2
denkiteki
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan6687 View Post
Added to the team, think there are any flaws to this team going into this playoffs? Want your thoughts. Depth in goal is insane. You have scoring depth, agitators, physical players, good quality dmen. If anything takes this team down, what is it?
6 dmans getting hurt at the same time?
3 centers out at the same time?
Ballard hits Lou on the head with his stick?

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:27 AM
  #3
hoodstar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 252
vCash: 500
Injuries.

hoodstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:34 AM
  #4
ProstheticConscience
Dystemper
 
ProstheticConscience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canuck Nation
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,956
vCash: 500
1) Injuries
2) Refs
3) Bettman hates us
4) Burke hires Tonya Harding to cripple the Sedins

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:40 AM
  #5
Bourdon
Registered User
 
Bourdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,580
vCash: 500
Honestly, the Sedins and Kesler not producing. If those guys are shutdown in the playoffs, we'll have a hard time winning. Of course, we'll be able to rely on the good play of the defensive core and Luongo.

Bourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:45 AM
  #6
Illmatic Stoic
Registered User
 
Illmatic Stoic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,547
vCash: 500
Luongo meltdown and Sedins/Kesler both being shutdown at the same time

Illmatic Stoic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:50 AM
  #7
PensFan6687
Registered User
 
PensFan6687's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
1) Injuries
2) Refs
3) Bettman hates us
4) Burke hires Tonya Harding to cripple the Sedins
Well played sir. Well played. I honestly don't see a flaw in Vancouver's system, except for the fact there isn't enough fans in green tights. Especially of the female variety. Problem with green tights, is they show the shape and contour of the human figure, and if you're male, yeah, every shape and contour.... I heard the reason Khabby got traded out of TB was mainly because he could not accept a TB Cup win when Calgary's goal should have counted yet didn't. Fact or tabloid? Much like Pronger asking for a trade out of Edmonton because he slept with a local reporter, and why Heatley left Ottawa because Spezza apparently did the nasties with Heaters fiance. All rumors. Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe a Canadian team is not supposed to win, and if that's the case and Gary Bettman does not want to see this lovely land of ours land that most beloved grail, what would you fans do? How will you respond? This team has cojones, hootspa, vinegar, spice! Only way it goes down, if it was beaten by a better team.

Seriously, the NHL is what it is. Catering to an American audience that could otherwise careless in most of its teams markets. I hope that the sinister and devilish crime lord Bettman and his evil henchmen (NHL Board of Governors) do not fall prey to the destructive fate of yet another potential Canadian team on the cusp of going all the way. That would be most upsetting and would put me off the NHL completely. Not hockey, because I love hockey. It courses through my very veins. Okay blood does. But I love hockey nonetheless.

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:53 AM
  #8
PensFan6687
Registered User
 
PensFan6687's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by denkiteki View Post
6 dmans getting hurt at the same time?
3 centers out at the same time?
Ballard hits Lou on the head with his stick?
Ballard simply wanted to see if Vokoun was awake.

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:54 AM
  #9
Agent007
Registered User
 
Agent007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,584
vCash: 500
Winning the cup is more than just looking pretty on paper. You need luck and you need players to play at the level that they are capable of playing at.

It's easy to sit back and think about how great Chicago was last year but people forget how close they were to being down 3 games to 2 going back to Nashville. If they don't get a lucky bounce thanks to a boneheaded player by Nashville late in game 5 maybe they don't even win the cup.

Same thing can be said for Pittsburgh in 2009. They were down 2-0 going into overtime against the Capitals. One lucky bounce for Washington and that's a 3-0 series and there's no cup in Pittsburgh.

You can also go back to 2008 with Detroit. The Wings and Nashville are tied 2 games a peice heading into overtime during game 5. Once again a lucky bounce for the Preds and perhaps the Wings are in trouble. This Detroit team might have been the best cup winner since the lockout.

In 2007 Anaheim and Detroit are tied at two games a peice with the Wings having a late lead in game 5. If they win it's entirely possible that Anaheim just can't rebound and it's the Wings that go on to win the cup (or at least face Ottawa in the final). However Anaheim scores and then goes on to score again in OT thanks to a Hasek mistake (once again lucky bounce).

In 2006 Carolina is down 2-0 going into overtime against Montreal in game 3 IN Montreal. They somehow come from behind and get the win. Later on in the playoffs not only did they get to face a Sabres team that was crippled on defence they also didn't have to face Roloson outside of game 1 in the finals.

At the end of the day you need luck both in terms of you staying healthy and perhaps even having the opposition unhealthy.

As good as this team looks it's still going to take more than skill to get to the finals. Eventually somewhere down the line we'll need to get a good bounce or two and we'll definately need to stay healthy.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:57 AM
  #10
PensFan6687
Registered User
 
PensFan6687's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent007 View Post
Winning the cup is more than just looking pretty on paper. You need luck and you need players to play at the level that they are capable of playing at.

It's easy to sit back and think about how great Chicago was last year but people forget how close they were to being down 3 games to 2 going back to Nashville. If they don't get a lucky bounce thanks to a boneheaded player by Nashville late in game 5 maybe they don't even win the cup.

Same thing can be said for Pittsburgh in 2009. They were down 2-0 going into overtime against the Capitals. One lucky bounce for Washington and that's a 3-0 series and there's no cup in Pittsburgh.

You can also go back to 2008 with Detroit. The Wings and Nashville are tied 2 games a peice heading into overtime during game 5. Once again a lucky bounce for the Preds and perhaps the Wings are in trouble. This Detroit team might have been the best cup winner since the lockout.

In 2007 Anaheim and Detroit are tied at two games a peice with the Wings having a late lead in game 5. If they win it's entirely possible that Anaheim just can't rebound and it's the Wings that go on to win the cup (or at least face Ottawa in the final). However Anaheim scores and then goes on to score again in OT thanks to a Hasek mistake (once again lucky bounce).

In 2006 Carolina is down 2-0 going into overtime against Montreal in game 3 IN Montreal. They somehow come from behind and get the win. Later on in the playoffs not only did they get to face a Sabres team that was crippled on defence they also didn't have to face Roloson outside of game 1 in the finals.

At the end of the day you need luck both in terms of you staying healthy and perhaps even having the opposition unhealthy.

As good as this team looks it's still going to take more than skill to get to the finals. Eventually somewhere down the line we'll need to get a good bounce or two and we'll definately need to stay healthy.
Nice break down. I'll also add in 2006, Carolina lucked out that playoff year because they barely edged out a Buffalo team that lost 4 or 5 of their top six dmen. Had the Sabres gone with a healthy blueline they would have defeated Carolina like a rented mule (I don't get that figure of speech, rented mule... why would someone rent a mule?) and taken Edmonton down easily for their first Cup win. And fate has always had Pittsburgh over Washington despite a 2 game series lead. I predicted that series outcome. It happened in 1996 when Petr Nedved ended one of the longest playoff games in OT, by scoring the game winner in Period No. 6 or 7 (forget), the same game that Ken Wregget stopped a then NHL relevant talent (Joe Juneau) and another in 1992. It's destiny. Caps take a series lead of 2-0 or 3-1... and the Pens come back to win it. Didn't you get that posted note?


Last edited by PensFan6687: 03-01-2011 at 03:08 AM.
PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:43 AM
  #11
David71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,256
vCash: 500
LUCK. healthy players. sedins+kesler producing. Plus luongo standing on his head most of the time. Also the mentality aspect of the game as well. last 2 yrs. sedins were taken off their game by dave bolland. kesler/burrows were hurt. plus injuries to the defense. also i think imo the bottom 6 guys will definetly have a "huge role" forward heading into the playoffs. they will be the guys counted on to score odd goal here and there. if the top 2 lines are not producing, its the 3rd and 4th lines+scoring from the defense too

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:47 AM
  #12
PensFan6687
Registered User
 
PensFan6687's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,999
vCash: 500
Besides injuries. I should have made that a stipulation in these discussions. That is too much of a given. lol


Last edited by PensFan6687: 03-01-2011 at 04:31 AM. Reason: Edited for perfection.
PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:51 AM
  #13
NuxFan09
Registered User
 
NuxFan09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourdon View Post
Honestly, the Sedins and Kesler not producing. If those guys are shutdown in the playoffs, we'll have a hard time winning. Of course, we'll be able to rely on the good play of the defensive core and Luongo.
^ This. Honestly, on paper, this team has no weaknesses. None. It's how the team, specifically the forwards, responds to the pressure cooker that the playoffs are. IMO, if the Canucks win, Luongo will be the Conn Smythe winner, but the Sedins and Kesler are going to have to be at their best as well. If Raymond doesn't heat up by the time the playoffs roll around, hopefully Higgins proves to be a capable linemate for Kesler. Kesler and Samuelsson are going to need an effective 3rd member on their line.

NuxFan09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 04:13 AM
  #14
nibbles
Registered User
 
nibbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: WAL MART
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,399
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to nibbles
Dustin Bafuglyalien.

nibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 04:17 AM
  #15
Hollywood Burrows
Registered User
 
Hollywood Burrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: VANCOUVER
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,727
vCash: 500
Lots of good comments here. I agree that it comes down to luck + the performance of the top players. Kesler has to be a beast. He has to be Linden in 94. The Twins need to be The Twins. Luongo has to be dialed in, in every game.

AV has managed the roster effectively, and the team has been on cruise control for the regular season. Every guy in that locker room is waiting for April. They know how good they are. This is their year. Pray that the key guys stay healthy and bring it, pray for some good bounces, and we'll see what happens.

Hollywood Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 04:18 AM
  #16
BoHorvatFan
Registered User
 
BoHorvatFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,098
vCash: 500
Can the Sedins produce in a tight checking series matched up againt a great number 1 shutdown d-man and a really good checking line. Think a combo of Pronger and Richards. They have looked horrible against the Hawks and their Keith/Seabrook/Bolland group.

They have to compete and battle and find a way to come through, and not just one big game but every game. They can't be shut down for 3 games in a row then put up 6 points in one to make the stats look ok.

That is my biggest concern, more than injuries(we have the depth to handle a few) or Luongo(it was a Hawks thing not a playoffs thing look at his career playoff numbers) or anything else.

BoHorvatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 04:28 AM
  #17
Anodyne
Registered User
 
Anodyne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,861
vCash: 500
Luck. I know it sounds blunt and probably cocky, but I feel like that's what most true choke-jobs is based on. And Detroit, Philly, and Boston are all as prone to it as we are.

Other than that, nothing that hasn't already been mentioned: Sedins being shut down by tight-checking defensive teams, Luongo falling apart, injuries to the back end, etc.

What I don't worry about with this group is pressure to perform and the mental aspect. They've shown all season long that they're in the right headspace.

Anodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 04:41 AM
  #18
timw33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,941
vCash: 500
Path of Least Resistance.

Bounces.

Unsung Heroes.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 05:05 AM
  #19
GCM
Stork
 
GCM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,040
vCash: 500
At this point we just hand it over to lady luck and hope she blesses the players who work hard on the ice with a few bounces and some tough ligaments/bones.

I'd say roughly 75% of winning the cup is luck, thankfully Gillis maximized the other 25% so now we sit back and watch.

GCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 05:29 AM
  #20
MTechnik
Showtime
 
MTechnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,029
vCash: 500
Vancouver weakness

-Playing against strong defensive teams, Sedins and Kesler seems to get frustrated rather easily against tight checking teams like Boston, Nashville, St.Louis, LA, NYR, Montreal, Minny.

-Playing against big forwards, Canucks defense just get man handle easily by Boston, LA, SJ, Anaheim.

If Vancouver play any of those western teams in round 1 without Edler, I would be very concern.

MTechnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 05:38 AM
  #21
JAK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 908
vCash: 500
I can just see it, game 7 double OT against Flyers.

Refs calls 2 major penalties on Vancouver out of nothing after a call from Toronto to 'review' a play.

Flyers score

HF explodes.

Riot in downtown, part 2.

hidden microphone records the call from Bettman to referee

hf explodes again

JAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 05:53 AM
  #22
ManoWarrior
Registered User
 
ManoWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,091
vCash: 500
Ya I would say the trap and big forwards are two of the more dangerous things against Vancouver. Nashville, St Louis, L.A. and Minny could beat us if they played amazing defensively + got a little lucky. Detroit could beat us and if they did I would say Franzen and to a lesser extent Holmstrom would play a big part. Clowe needs to have a monster series + Thornton & co need to play amazing (relative to their past playoffs) to beat us.

And obviously injuries, especially to the D.

ManoWarrior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 06:24 AM
  #23
Blueangel1891
Registered User
 
Blueangel1891's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Aalst (Belgium)
Country: Belgium
Posts: 104
vCash: 500
It's the Canucks, we'll probably start Game 7 with Rome on our top pair

Blueangel1891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 06:26 AM
  #24
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 19,359
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK View Post
I can just see it, game 7 double OT against Flyers.

Refs calls 2 major penalties on Vancouver out of nothing after a call from Toronto to 'review' a play.

Flyers score
Richards kicks one in, looks worse than Daniel Sedin no-goal, it's allowed to stand.

Quote:
HF explodes.

Riot in downtown, part 2.

hidden microphone records the call from Bettman to referee

hf explodes again

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 06:53 AM
  #25
Wilch
Unregistered User
 
Wilch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under your bed
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 9,254
vCash: 500
I think I just realized why we never win.

Canucks fans just love jinxing their own team.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.