HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[VAN/FLA] Chris Higgins for Evan Oberg and a 3rd round pick

Old
02-28-2011, 07:24 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 500
The player, the fans and the team need to focus on his play on the ice which I think we'll find is pretty good. The rest is neither here nor there. If Higgins plays well in the playoffs, he's going to get tagged with "playoff performer" and that will only increase his value.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 07:25 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Anyone know what Gallagher is talking about here:

Higgins underwhelmed by the deal? Is the guy actually not stoked to shoot out of Florida to a contender? I find that odd.
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ca...135/story.html

Quote:
"I kind of knew what the situation was going to be in Florida once they started trading players away," said Higgins. "It's going to be an amazing experience to go to a team that has a chance to win the Stanley Cup. They [Canucks] certainly have a lot of skill and depth up front and I'll try to make a seamless transition and try to help out as quickly as I can. I bring a lot of energy and have played with a lot of players in different situations. Hopefully, I play with some good players and I'm hoping to build some chemistry with my new linemates."
yup he sounds really bummed. Bang-up job by Tony G once again.

colonel_korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 07:27 PM
NuxFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Useful guys don't generally get traded this frequently. And in sports, "when he works hard" is a classic left-handed compliment.

Anyway, AV and MG have put together a first place team, so I'm happy giving them the benefit of the doubt. Time, as always, will tell...
I think the reasoning for this is the teams he was on after being traded from Montreal were already full of bottom 6 type players and had a need for top end players. The Canucks, on the other hand, are in the opposite sitution where they have their elite core guys and lack those depth utility players that play an underrated role. He's still a useful player, just not to teams that already have an abundance of players like him.

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 07:37 PM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Send a message via MSN to Towers
Over/Under on when Oberg gets waived?

Towers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 07:44 PM
Anodyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Anyone know what Gallagher is talking about here:

Higgins underwhelmed by the deal? Is the guy actually not stoked to shoot out of Florida to a contender? I find that odd.
Underwhelmed=undervalued? That his return isn't exactly anything to be flattered by? It's ambiguous, but given the context, I think Gallagher is saying that the Canucks didn't give up a lot to get him, thus would not hesitate to part ways with him if need be. If Higgins was upset by the trade, it would probably be a huge story by now.

Anodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 07:50 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post
I'm worried the pressure will get to him. Oberg is the Panthers highest paid dman and I don't know if he's ready to be a bonafied #1 defenseman.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 07:59 PM
Zanon

Another trade with the Panthers, lol.

Zanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:09 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Alain loves trying to turn guys with limited natural ability into more valuable players that can take on bigger, more important roles.
Aaron Rome

Last edited by Wilch: 02-28-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:18 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
I'm worried the pressure will get to him. Oberg is the Panthers highest paid dman and I don't know if he's ready to be a bonafied #1 defenseman.
Looks like he'll stay in the AHL for now, the Panthers actually do have six defencemen with the big club right now.

Kulikov / Weaver / Ellerby / Sulzer / Garrison / Callahan

Probably the best for Oberg, even though he did look better than I expected in his brief call-up this month.

Yikes though, that defense.... Tomas Vokoun isn't in for a fun couple of months.

colonel_korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:23 PM
Edler Von Gud

vCash: 1308
Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn View Post
Looks like he'll stay in the AHL for now, the Panthers actually do have six defencemen with the big club right now.

Kulikov / Weaver / Ellerby / Sulzer / Garrison / Callahan

Probably the best for Oberg, even though he did look better than I expected in his brief call-up this month.

Yikes though, that defense.... Tomas Vokoun isn't in for a fun couple of months.
I'm shocked they didn't move Vokoun given he is a UFA coming up. They must feel confident they can re-sign him or it's a major error on Tallons part.

Edler Von Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:36 PM
Turk February*

Tony Gallagher is an idiot.

Here's what Higgins said to THE PROVINCE (The newspaper that employs Gallagher):

“Who wouldn’t be amped to play with a team that’s first in the conference?” Higgins said. “It’s quite an opportunity.”

Turk February* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:37 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

It seemed like Florida was being stripped to the bone with all these trades that have gone down.

The lack of pressure to produce while playing on the 4th line could do wonders for Higgins' confidence. I don't remember much about him, but the fact that he's supposed to be a hard worker with good wheels and defensive ability who can PK is certainly very encouraging. Hope that thumb heals properly and we get to see that scoring ability he had before again.

vanuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:38 PM
Placebo Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edler Von Gud View Post
I'm shocked they didn't move Vokoun given he is a UFA coming up. They must feel confident they can re-sign him or it's a major error on Tallons part.
Florida is is way below the cap floor, they're going to need to make some big signings to get them to it. They might be banking on re-signing Vokoun to help get them there. But then again they only have 11 players signed to plenty of work to do. Will be interesting if they don't re-sign Vokoun.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:39 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Waived in a couple weeks after they've seen him play. Claimed by Islanders, does well and gets recognition.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:49 PM
NFLDPower
Shi Shi Shawww

So what's the status of Higgins' injured hand? How long until he actually plays a game for us?

NFLDPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:54 PM
xtr3m

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaNuCk#88 View Post
So what's the status of Higgins' injured hand? How long until he actually plays a game for us?
Apparently it's nothing serious. Two weeks is what I saw.

Last edited by xtr3m: 03-01-2011 at 01:07 AM.
xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:07 AM
DFAC

Read somewhere it was 7-10 days

DFAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:39 AM
David71

low risk. can be used up/down the lineup. is tehre a reason why higgins gets traded to 4 teams in less than 2 yrs?

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:16 AM
nibbles

Send a message via Yahoo to nibbles
Magnum P.I would like to report that Higgins is very excited to come to Vancouver.

nibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:21 AM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibbles View Post
Magnum P.I would like to report that Higgins is very excited to come to Vancouver.
I was thinking about this earlier

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:24 AM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
It seemed like Florida was being stripped to the bone with all these trades that have gone down.

The lack of pressure to produce while playing on the 4th line could do wonders for Higgins' confidence. I don't remember much about him, but the fact that he's supposed to be a hard worker with good wheels and defensive ability who can PK is certainly very encouraging. Hope that thumb heals properly and we get to see that scoring ability he had before again.
They've been trading a lot of assets and not getting much in return. Just a horribly ran hockey team with god-awful asset management and talent evaluation skills.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 04:06 AM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikSedinFan View Post
They've been trading a lot of assets and not getting much in return. Just a horribly ran hockey team with god-awful asset management and talent evaluation skills.
I can't believe that they traded 3 quality NHL defenders in Wideman, McCabe, and Allen and essentially got two 3rd round picks for the group. Just awful value.

They're talking like they'll spend money in the summer, but good UFAs will sign with contending teams and have little interest in going to a godawful last place team like Florida.

They're going to end up dishing out some brutal contracts to average players just to fill out their roster and reach the cap floor.

That franchise is a total joke right now. Move them somewhere where people will actually give a damn. As a franchise/situation, they're worse than Phoenix, only with a somewhat more stable ownership scenario.

MS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 05:31 AM
orcatown

Quote:
One of the side benefits of the deal is that gets rid of player that had little future with the club and frees up a roster spot for next year.

Oberg has never demonstrated he had, or would ever have, the physical strength to handle pro forwards.

Like with players like Bernier, Gillis corrects a mistake.

Deal is essentially:

Higgins + roster spot and elimination of a contract for a 3rd rounder.

Now if we could only move Ellington.

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 10:57 AM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
That franchise is a total joke right now. Move them somewhere where people will actually give a damn. As a franchise/situation, they're worse than Phoenix, only with a somewhat more stable ownership scenario.
Honestly, I think the "nobody gives a damn" thing is a bit faulty. When FLA went to the finals and everyone was throwing rats on the ice, nobody was complaining about their lack of fan support. They've put trash on the ice for what? 13 years now? Of course nobody gives a damn. Nobody would give a damn in Vancouver, either.

That said, yes, that franchise is basically a joke.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 10:58 AM
speed11

i was crushed when higgins left montreal, i'm glad he's on a real contending team.

speed11 is offline   Reply With Quote