HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

For the third time I Salute our Moneypuck Overlord!

Old
02-28-2011, 03:58 PM
rye&ginger

vCash: 500
If one was to put Gillis' name on a jersey, what number would go with it?

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:59 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
This group might not win but its hard to argue that Gillis hasn't addressed needs without sacrificing the future.

You're not left crossing your fingers and hoping he doesn't do something stupid.
It's scary how much he's built the current team without sacrificing anything. I mean, look at the additions that weren't here last year:

Malhotra, Torres, Higgins, Lapierre, Tambellini, Hamhuis, Ballard.

What did those players cost? Cap space, Michael Grabner, Steve Bernier, a 1st round pick, 2 3rd round picks, Joel Perrault, and Evan Oberg.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:04 PM
VanEric

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:10 PM
FiveAndGame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rye&ginger View Post
Wow, amazing idea.

FiveAndGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:12 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
It's scary how much he's built the current team without sacrificing anything. I mean, look at the additions that weren't here last year:

Malhotra, Torres, Higgins, Lapierre, Tambellini, Hamhuis, Ballard.

What did those players cost? Cap space, Michael Grabner, Steve Bernier, a 1st round pick, 2 3rd round picks, Joel Perrault, and Evan Oberg.

[you forgot WELLWOOD etc we let go for capspace]

Capspace alone got us Hamhuis, Malhotra, Torres, Tambellini. That is why capspace is completely underrated by fans when looking at deals.

Last edited by me2: 02-28-2011 at 04:18 PM.
me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:15 PM
RobertKron

Canucks:
Wins: 2nd
G/G: 1st
GA/G: 1st
5 on 5 F/A: 2nd
PP%: 2nd
PK%: 3rd
S/G: 8th
SA/G: 11th
FO%: 1st

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:17 PM
KDizzle

Quote:

as in 0 room under the cap.

KDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:17 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by spixel View Post
Gillis is great, yes, but Gilman is the real MVP
This is an understated, but very accurate, point.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:37 PM
JonnyCash

Quote:
If we win a cup.. 11

JonnyCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:39 PM
David71

gillis is the architect. A smart man whose a lawyer himself, has a vision and wanted to build a team that has a 2-3yr window opportunity of competing with the league and for the cup. stockpiling picks, nabbing/finding players from colleges/overseas. mr.gilman is the capologist that's job is very hard to do because he crunches down the numbers to see if it can fit on a everyday basis. I like it. i love it. can we please start the playoffs now?

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:48 PM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
gillis is the architect. A smart man whose a lawyer himself, has a vision and wanted to build a team that has a 2-3yr window opportunity of competing with the league and for the cup. stockpiling picks, nabbing/finding players from colleges/overseas. mr.gilman is the capologist that's job is very hard to do because he crunches down the numbers to see if it can fit on a everyday basis. I like it. i love it. can we please start the playoffs now?
i'm happy to wait until edler, bieksa, and higgins are all healthy and salo is up to speed.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:01 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent007 View Post
By the way that roster that I posted earlier in this thread is JUST BARELY under the cap. It pretty much means that unless Vancouver has any injuries over the next 9 games they will have a 22 man roster with pretty much no cap space to call anyone up in case of injuries.

That's a real risky little game they are playing here and if we do get any short term injuries it might be a real big problem over the last 6 weeks of the season.

Currently we've got 20 healthy bodies and 2 guys on IR (not including Edler and Alberts and assuming Sweatt has been sent down).

Once Bieksa is healthy we'll have some flexibility and will likely send Tanev down to the minors and be able to call up two players that have a cap hit that is as much as $1.075m (so basically a couple of guys making $0.5m).

It's a real tight rope here that management has decided to walk.
Yeah, things are extremely tight right now. I can only assume that Bieksa will be put on LTIR if someone else gets injured because if not, they've put themselves in a pretty ridiculous situation. As you say they have a roster of 12 healthy forwards, 6 healthy defensemen, and 2 goalies and they don't have enough cap space to call up a single player if anyone gets injured, sick, suspended, or whatever.

Once Higgins and Bieksa return things will be a little better as they'll have one spare forwards and one spare defenseman, but all it takes is a couple of short term injuries for the Canucks to pull an 08-09 Flames scenario.

Frankly I'm kind of shocked that they'd take this gamble, but hopefully it pays off. If they were to get even a fraction of the injuries they suffered a few weeks ago they'd be dressing a severely shortened lineup.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:14 PM
Tumsh

One thing to mention about Gillis's work that I think is very important is that he has made Vancouver an attractive destination for Hockey players. Not to take anything away, but I bet it helps that he's in Vancouver which is a really nice city. But the reason he can give up prospects like Oberg and picks like he did is because he knows he can fill in those positions with FA's that come at a reasonable price. That is, people want to be here, and therefore he doesn't have to overpay as much as some other GMs might.

I recall one of the FA signings last year, I don't remember who it was, but when they interviewed him, he said that Gillis didn't call and guarantee him any amount of ice time or that he'd play in the top pairing/line, but rather that he sold it as a challenge. I think that's quite telling in terms of how he is working here. He's created a team that can win, and players are aware of that and statements like the one above reaffirm this. He wants to win, so if you don't produce well, you'll get less time. If you can't take that, you're not the player for this team. I think this is a big reason that the team looks the way it is, and why he's not afraid to give up some assets. He knows he can fill in the holes.

Tumsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:37 PM
GCM
Stork

Gillis is amazing and I love him.

BIG HUGE props to Lawerence Gilman though, the relatively unsung hero.

GCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:41 PM
thenextone

What I love is how Gillis has changed the culture of this team, just like he said he would. He sets the example from the executive spot down. In the past we would have lesser GMs trading away the farm for scrubs at the deadline only to have it blow up in our faces. Gillis got some solid depth players for nothing because he built this team in the offseason instead.

thenextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:49 PM
jimmythescot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCM View Post
Gillis is amazing and I love him.

BIG HUGE props to Lawerence Gilman though, the relatively unsung hero.
Gilman is the Civil Engineer to Gillis' Architect.

jimmythescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:50 PM
TacitEndorsement

Quote:
The year his team wins the cup.

TacitEndorsement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:55 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenextone View Post
What I love is how Gillis has changed the culture of this team, just like he said he would. He sets the example from the executive spot down. In the past we would have lesser GMs trading away the farm for scrubs at the deadline only to have it blow up in our faces. Gillis got some solid depth players for nothing because he built this team in the offseason instead.
Geoff Sanderson, Marc Bergevin, Eric Weinrich, Keith Carney, Sean Brown, Bryan Smolinski....

Dead line busts.

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:00 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPokey View Post
I was pretty skeptical when they hired a former agent with no experience as their GM.

I was wrong.

This. He's done a ridiculous job at addressing needs and trying to fill them with the guys that fit the roles. He's constantly fixing his mistakes and owning up to them as well.

And to think I wanted Burke back 3 years ago.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:10 PM
wholesickcrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Yeah, things are extremely tight right now. I can only assume that Bieksa will be put on LTIR if someone else gets injured because if not, they've put themselves in a pretty ridiculous situation. As you say they have a roster of 12 healthy forwards, 6 healthy defensemen, and 2 goalies and they don't have enough cap space to call up a single player if anyone gets injured, sick, suspended, or whatever.

Once Higgins and Bieksa return things will be a little better as they'll have one spare forwards and one spare defenseman, but all it takes is a couple of short term injuries for the Canucks to pull an 08-09 Flames scenario.

Frankly I'm kind of shocked that they'd take this gamble, but hopefully it pays off. If they were to get even a fraction of the injuries they suffered a few weeks ago they'd be dressing a severely shortened lineup.
You've answered your own concern. Putting Bieksa on retroactive LTIR would keep him out until March 12 -- roughly his projected return date anyway. Gillis noted in his presser today that the team still has flexibility, and I agree that that is how it looks.

wholesickcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:28 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholesickcrew View Post
You've answered your own concern. Putting Bieksa on retroactive LTIR would keep him out until March 12 -- roughly his projected return date anyway. Gillis noted in his presser today that the team still has flexibility, and I agree that that is how it looks.
Looking at it more, the stretch after Bieksa's return is what scares me most. If we lost guys in an inconvenient pattern in the last three weeks of the season - say, three forwards at once - the solutions wouldn't be pretty: wearing down our remaining forwards right before the playoffs, playing defencemen up front, or putting one of the injured guys on LTIR, which would take him out of the first few playoff games. A multiple-game goalie injury is another messy possibility.

Our luck probably won't be that bad, but there's definitely an element of risk here. Let's hope the freak defenceman injury run used up all our bad luck.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:33 PM
Hammer79

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 07:02 PM
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

A quick look at Gillis' work over the past 2.5 years...

2008:

Sedin-Sedin-Pyatt
Naslund-Morrison-Raymond
Burrows-Kesler-Linden
Pettinger-Ritchie-Isbister

Mitchell-Bieksa
Ohlund-Salo
Edler-Krajicek

Luongo
Sanford

2011:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Kesler-Samuelsson
Higgins-Malhotra-Hansen
Torres-Lapierre-Glass

Edler-Ehrhoff
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Ballard-Salo

Luongo
Schneider

I bolded who I feel is the better of their counterpart from the other roster. The score is 16-4 for the 2011 team, with the only arguable position being, IMO, Luongo vs. Luongo. Obviously much of the current team remains from three years ago and a lot of their progress is due to natural development. However, the signing of Sundin led to the breakup of Kesler/Burrows, which led to huge improvements in both of their games and the Sedins especially. That's 4 players improved as an indirect result of Gillis signing Sundin. Looking at the overall tradeoff:

In:

Ehrhoff
Hamhuis
Ballard
Malhotra
Samuelsson
Hansen (I know he was already drafted)
Higgins
Torres
Glass
Lapierre
Schneider
(I know)

Out:

Ohlund
Mitchell
Krajicek
Naslund
Morrison
Pyatt
Linden
Pettinger
Ritchie
Isbister
Sanford

I once again bolded the better counterparts. I think there have been enough improvements to give Gillis a lot of credit for the current state of the team. Gone are the useless Isbisters and Ritchies of the 4th line. I won't get into prospects, though I'd say that has improved slightly. Edler/Bourdon/Schneider have been replaced by Hodgson/Schroeder/Tanev.

chopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 07:42 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthVanCanuck View Post
A quick look at Gillis' work over the past 2.5 years...

2008:

Sedin-Sedin-Pyatt
Naslund-Morrison-Raymond
Burrows-Kesler-Linden
Pettinger-Ritchie-Isbister

Mitchell-Bieksa
Ohlund-Salo
Edler-Krajicek

Luongo
Sanford

2011:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Kesler-Samuelsson
Higgins-Malhotra-Hansen
Torres-Lapierre-Glass

Edler-Ehrhoff
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Ballard-Salo

Luongo
Schneider

I bolded who I feel is the better of their counterpart from the other roster. The score is 16-4 for the 2011 team, with the only arguable position being, IMO, Luongo vs. Luongo. Obviously much of the current team remains from three years ago and a lot of their progress is due to natural development. However, the signing of Sundin led to the breakup of Kesler/Burrows, which led to huge improvements in both of their games and the Sedins especially. That's 4 players improved as an indirect result of Gillis signing Sundin. Looking at the overall tradeoff:

In:

Ehrhoff
Hamhuis
Ballard
Malhotra
Samuelsson
Hansen (I know he was already drafted)
Higgins
Torres
Glass
Lapierre
Schneider
(I know)

Out:

Ohlund
Mitchell
Krajicek
Naslund
Morrison
Pyatt
Linden
Pettinger
Ritchie
Isbister
Sanford

I once again bolded the better counterparts. I think there have been enough improvements to give Gillis a lot of credit for the current state of the team. Gone are the useless Isbisters and Ritchies of the 4th line. I won't get into prospects, though I'd say that has improved slightly. Edler/Bourdon/Schneider have been replaced by Hodgson/Schroeder/Tanev.
I'll get into the prospects, they are MUCH better and well rounded and we are getting prospects from all over... even MacGregor Sharp who we got today has an upside.

Used to be: Edler/Bourdon/Schneider/Grabner/Koltsov... then no one, literally we had almost nothing on our farm ... or even a step back our big prospects were Kesler/King/Reid... ya...

Now: Hodgson, Schroeder, Tanev, Lack, Sauve, Shirokov, Connauton, B. Sweatt, Rodin and interesting propsects in Archibald, Friesen, Polasek, Andersson, McNally, Cannata, Ilhati...

Not even close.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 07:44 PM
JamesBond*

I don't mean to be a downer and I think the acquisitions are good, but should maybe relax a bit? I mean, Gillis acquires Higgins and Lapierre and this is what cements his status as the best GM in hockey?

The fanbase here gets way too high when it should not and way too low when its not warranted.

JamesBond* is offline   Reply With Quote