HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

For the third time I Salute our Moneypuck Overlord!

Old
02-28-2011, 08:24 PM
droller*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBond View Post
I don't mean to be a downer and I think the acquisitions are good, but should maybe relax a bit? I mean, Gillis acquires Higgins and Lapierre and this is what cements his status as the best GM in hockey?

The fanbase here gets way too high when it should not and way too low when its not warranted.

Think this is more towards the big picture of how he has built this team. When have the Canucks ever been tops in the league?

droller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:35 PM
JamesBond*

Quote:
Originally Posted by droller View Post
Think this is more towards the big picture of how he has built this team. When have the Canucks ever been tops in the league?
Absolutely. He has done a very good job with the team. I was referring to the fact that the OP seemed to refer to these moves today as being cause to celebrate him as being the best GM in hockey. That's an absurd notion.

JamesBond* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:39 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
I'll get into the prospects, they are MUCH better and well rounded and we are getting prospects from all over... even MacGregor Sharp who we got today has an upside.
What upside is that? He's 25, 185lb and below .5 ppg in the ahl.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 09:26 PM
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
I'll get into the prospects, they are MUCH better and well rounded and we are getting prospects from all over... even MacGregor Sharp who we got today has an upside.

Used to be: Edler/Bourdon/Schneider/Grabner/Koltsov... then no one, literally we had almost nothing on our farm ... or even a step back our big prospects were Kesler/King/Reid... ya...

Now: Hodgson, Schroeder, Tanev, Lack, Sauve, Shirokov, Connauton, B. Sweatt, Rodin and interesting propsects in Archibald, Friesen, Polasek, Andersson, McNally, Cannata, Ilhati...

Not even close.
I'm sure Canucks fans all over were hyping up prospects 3 years ago as well. None of the current prospects you listed have proven anything in the NHL. I'm not saying it doesn't look better than before, but it's impossible to praise Gillis for his drafting when none of his picks are currently playing in the NHL. Especially when Burke/Nonis picks like the Sedins, Kesler, Schneider, Edler, Bieksa, etc. are all great players already.

chopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:26 PM
Turk February*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
Canucks:
Wins: 2nd
G/G: 1st
GA/G: 1st
5 on 5 F/A: 2nd
PP%: 2nd
PK%: 3rd
S/G: 8th
SA/G: 11th
FO%: 1st
Its not all rosey.

The Canucks are 1-5-1 against the best defensive teams in the NHL.

Turk February* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:31 PM
Turk February*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthVanCanuck View Post
I'm sure Canucks fans all over were hyping up prospects 3 years ago as well. None of the current prospects you listed have proven anything in the NHL. I'm not saying it doesn't look better than before, but it's impossible to praise Gillis for his drafting when none of his picks are currently playing in the NHL. Especially when Burke/Nonis picks like the Sedins, Kesler, Schneider, Edler, Bieksa, etc. are all great players already.
DING DING DING!

You are a winner! You have officially poseted the dumbest thing I have ever read on this board. Congratulations!

"None of the current prospects you listed have proven anything in the NHL."

THAT'S WHY THEY ARE PROSPECTS.

You don't call a guy with 17 years, 1200 games, and 3 Stanley Cup rings a prospect becuase he's "proven" something in the NHL!

Turk February* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:42 PM
kanuck87

^^^ Maybe you didn't understand the point that was trying to be made?

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:49 PM
hoodstar

What draft picks do we still have left? Can someone write a list out for the next 3 years?

hoodstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:49 PM
Alan Jackson

I wonder if we should wait until the Canucks get out of the second round before canonizing Mike Gillis?

I mean, geez guys. These look to be solid depth moves, but no more than that. And the Lapierre acquisition is not without some risk, in my opinion.

Alan Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:27 AM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson View Post
I wonder if we should wait until the Canucks get out of the second round before canonizing Mike Gillis?

I mean, geez guys. These look to be solid depth moves, but no more than that. And the Lapierre acquisition is not without some risk, in my opinion.
i think the point behind everyone's enthusiasm with GMMG is that he got the roster to a point where at the deadline all we needed was solid depth moves. and, furthermore, to a point where if the deadline pickups don't work, it won't make or break the team's chances.

a far cry from previous regimes, where we needed top six and top four players going into the playoffs but all we could get at the deadline was rucinsky or sanderson or smolinski or weinrich or carney, and we had to pray that they would magically caught fire. which of course never ever happened.

what he did in the off-season to restructure the team was amazing. remember when we would hope and pray that a guy like bulis or pyatt or even a gillis addition like bernier would grow into the roles we needed them to play? this year, gillis went out and got proven guys to fill those roles. if we fail in the playoffs, it's certainly not on gillis' head. he clearly got us the horses.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:28 AM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

vCash: 625
Quote:

i agree with this (except for the risk on lapierre)

canucks essentially acquired two 4th liners for two 3rd round picks, transactions which are solid but not mindblowing by any means

it all comes down to the playoffs...it's hard to believe that this franchise hasn't made it past the second round of the playoffs in over 15 years, and i'm waiting for this to happen before i start passing out the accolades

Jack Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:29 AM
xtr3m

Steve Tambellini in response to the Edmonton Sun's Terry Jones asking a question about Colten Teubert's struggles in the AHL. Jones then informed Tambellini that Teubert has been a healthy scratch for the Manchester Monarchs. Tambellini was stunned.

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:33 AM
wilty00

vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveeviL View Post
Wow, just the other day a Habs fan laughed at me when I did chose Lappi as my favourite player on their team (yeah). It says something about me of course, but also about the Habs - and of course about Lappiere.
Lapierre hasn't been a hab since 2010. Certainly does say alot about you.

Gillis just gets the job done. It's crazy to see how quickly the culture around the Canucks has changed since he came to town.

wilty00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:42 AM
CallMeJerry

I don't think we need to hold off for the playoffs to heap praise on MG. The team is better and deeper at every position than at any time in club history (I know that's not saying much). #1 in the league. A nice collection of prospects.

Most importantly, the way the team is viewed from both inside and outside the organization has changed. Players are proud to be part of the team. Players like the twins & Kesler took less $ to stay here. UFA's like Hamhuis & Malhotra leave better offers on the table to sign here.

We may get knocked out in the first round but this team is built for success for a long time. And it's all thanks to one man.

CallMeJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:59 AM
Brenton Williams

Gillis has put the Canucks in an excellent position to win, probably more so than any other team in the league. For that he should be commended. Whether the Canucks actually win the Cup now depends on a combination of their performance (especially in net) and luck. Gillis has done his part, anything going forward has nothing to do with him.

Brenton Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:00 AM
Agent007

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
Steve Tambellini in response to the Edmonton Sun's Terry Jones asking a question about Colten Teubert's struggles in the AHL. Jones then informed Tambellini that Teubert has been a healthy scratch for the Manchester Monarchs. Tambellini was stunned.
I could just totally picture the Oilers board room when talking about what LA was ready to offer for Penner.

Tambellini: Guys guess what????? I just got off the phone with Dean and he's willing to offer us a 1st round draft pick, a 3rd round draft pick and COLTEN TEUBERT!!!! Don't worry guys I did all the scouting I needed to do on Teubert. I checked it out and on hockeysfuture.com Teubert is ranked 7.0C. We totally gotta make this move man!!!!! 7.0!!!!!

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:05 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
All I gotta say is... Gillis. Yeah.

Oh, and that Gilman guy is a sneaky snake with the cap too.

vanuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:06 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilty00 View Post
Lapierre hasn't been a hab since 2010. Certainly does say alot about you.

Gillis just gets the job done. It's crazy to see how quickly the culture around the Canucks has changed since he came to town.
Yes, you did indeed pick up fast on the geist of my post.

On topic, it is noteworthy that very little trades happened for the top teams in NHL. Taken that into account and the small cap space there was I must say that this is impressive.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:24 AM
JAK

More impressive first tastes in the NHL? Edler or Tanev? I'd say equally impressive.

Also... the mentioning of Bourdon makes me cringes at all the possibilities,

JAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:45 AM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBond View Post
I don't mean to be a downer and I think the acquisitions are good, but should maybe relax a bit? I mean, Gillis acquires Higgins and Lapierre and this is what cements his status as the best GM in hockey?

The fanbase here gets way too high when it should not and way too low when its not warranted.
I guess i was one of the few people who was happy about Nonis being fired, he is simply a terrible GM with one brilliant trade, even worse at drafting good players.

Vancouver_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:53 AM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

It's crazy how much this team has improved since Gillis took over. Look at our forwards today and compare that to what we had when he got here.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:55 AM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

vCash: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeJerry View Post
I don't think we need to hold off for the playoffs to heap praise on MG. The team is better and deeper at every position than at any time in club history (I know that's not saying much). #1 in the league. A nice collection of prospects.

Most importantly, the way the team is viewed from both inside and outside the organization has changed. Players are proud to be part of the team. Players like the twins & Kesler took less $ to stay here. UFA's like Hamhuis & Malhotra leave better offers on the table to sign here.

We may get knocked out in the first round but this team is built for success for a long time. And it's all thanks to one man.
have to disagree with you there

while it is nice to have vancouver as one of the top franchises in the league, it's all about playoff success at this point in the franchise for me

stanley cup windows can be much smaller than many fans expect due to the salary cap and the unpredictability of injuries

if the canucks get knocked out in the first round this year, which may be bound to happen one of these years, i don't think anybody needs to be shy in questioning management

in particular, i think the jury is still out regarding gillis' claim that the detroit model of speed and skill throughout the lineup is the best model to be successful in the playoffs

don't misread the tenor of my post: i believe mike gillis has done a great job so far as gm of the canucks...however, like with burke and nonis, the job he's done should be judged by playoff success, something that has eluded this franchise so far and is no given this post-season given the competitiveness and parity of the western conference

Jack Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:36 AM
David71

lets see if these guys can deliver in the playoffs. all the pieces are in place. vancouver just needs "LUCK" all the way. mike gillis has quietly done a fantastic job during his 2yrs here.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:38 AM
oceanchild

Quote:

I disagree he has been sucessful now one thing that has not been mentioned in this thread is his ability to sign players at way below market value.

Sedins at 6.2 they should be getting 7.5-8
Kesler at 5 he could have got 7
luo at 5.3 he could have got at least 6.5-7
Burrows at 2 - i think he is worth almost twice that

and it goes on and on this summer maholtra and Hamuis took less to play here

and that doesnt even come close to talking about the culture shift and our sudden depth.

I agree we all want to win a cup but you cannot stop injuries or a bad bouce. I think he should be judged on a whole not just the playoffs

that being said i dare to dream of 2011

oceanchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 04:42 AM
JAK

1982-1994 = 12 years. First number retired.
1994+16+1(lock out!) = 2011!

JAK is offline   Reply With Quote