HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres Ruff is interest in three scoring lines

Old
02-28-2011, 08:56 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

vCash: 500
I'd like to see McCormick get another shot on a scoring line. The guy has 8 goals on the year with 0 PP time and is less of a fit on a shutdown line than Gaustad would be.

I'd also like to keep put Vanek with Boyes and keep the Ennis/Stafford & Hecht/Pominville pairings together.

If we're running three scoring lines, with Boyes on the wing, here's what I'd like to see:

Vanek-Connolly-Boyes
Ennis-McCormick-Stafford
Gerbe-Hecht-Pominville
Grier-Gaustad-Kaleta

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:56 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Chicago won the Cup last season, and Philadelphia is a Cup favorite this season. Both utilized a top-9 approach, rather than the traditional top-6/checking line/grinding line approach.

As far as personnel go, I'd like this approach more if Nieds goes to the press box, Grier is demoted to the 4th line, and one of their more offensive-oriented players was called up from Portland.
He pretty much has been.

Our current 3rd line is Gerbe/Goose/Kaleta

with Nieds/McCormick/Grier as the 4th line

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 09:07 PM
fightclubber25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post
No no no. You all have it wrong.

Vanek Connolly Boyes
Ennis Hecht Stafford
Gerbe Goose Pominville
Kaleta McCormick Grier
Best I can think of too. Although swapping pominville with Stafford seems logical too.

Our roster next year is going to be verry interesting.

fightclubber25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 09:48 PM
BloFan4Life

How about run two top scoring lines and actual play them like they are scoring lines?!?! Play Vanek-Connolly-Boyes 22-24 mins a game. Play Pominville-Hecht-Stafford 20 mins a game. Our top lines play almost as much as our 3rd and 4th. We need to rely on these guys more and they need to be on the ice more.

BloFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 09:57 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloFan4Life View Post
How about run two top scoring lines and actual play them like they are scoring lines?!?! Play Vanek-Connolly-Boyes 22-24 mins a game. Play Pominville-Hecht-Stafford 20 mins a game. Our top lines play almost as much as our 3rd and 4th. We need to rely on these guys more and they need to be on the ice more.
Being a scoring line has nothing to do with ice time. It has to do with the makeup of the line.

Not to mention no line will actually play 20-24mins.

Old
02-28-2011, 10:11 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

I'd try this:

Ennis - Boyes - Vanek
Stafford - Hecht - Pominville
Gerbe - Connolly - McCormick
Kaleta - Gaustad - Grier

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:14 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Barr View Post
I'd try this:

Ennis - Boyes - Vanek
Stafford - Hecht - Pominville
Gerbe - Connolly - McCormick
Kaleta - Gaustad - Grier
Ruff has already said they are going start with Connolly/Boyes together and he sees Boyes as a RW.

I would also say Ruff seems to have settled on the top 3 centers for the rest of the year; Hecht, Connolly and Goose

Old
02-28-2011, 10:19 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Ruff has already said they are going start with Connolly/Boyes together and he sees Boyes as a RW.

I would also say Ruff seems to have settled on the top 3 centers for the rest of the year; Hecht, Connolly and Goose
I know, but I'd rather see Boyes tried at center.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:23 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Barr View Post
I know, but I'd rather see Boyes tried at center.
Fair enough

Old
02-28-2011, 10:26 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

these are my slightly unrealistic and idealized lines.

Vanek Connolly Boyes
stafford ennis pominvile
hecht gaustad mccormick
grier neids kaleta

stafford-- ennis and pominville who doesn't want to see that?

Last edited by ImpressedDAHagent: 02-28-2011 at 10:45 PM.
ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:37 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

I think with the past relationship of Connolly & Boyes, they are going to try it. If that is the case vanek is on the LW. Why not.

the only option that I wouldn't mind trying, is McCormick playing on the 3rd line. His jump would be welcome. Give the guy who hustles and hits an opportunity.

As much as I wanted Connolly gone today, I am excited about his past relationship with Boyes, and their chemistry together. It does make you excited to see if Boyes on his wing will give him a spark. A spark that has seemed to be missing all year.

It is amazing what 1 decent player can do to change the make up of the sabres.

Having Boyes in the fold for next year really makes it interesting, as everyone except our whipping boys/old guys are signed for next year, or rfa's. Oh, except McCormick.

Very exciting possibilites for next year, especially if they add 1 more to the top 6.

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:11 AM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
The only dilemma is whether or not Kaleta would be a better wing on the Gaustad-Stafford line than Gerbe. Although Ruff has given him limited opportunities to show it, Kaleta proved in stretches before that he's a good skater, solid defensively yet has some good offensive ability as well. Gerbe may be the pure shooter and more creative than Kaleta but I still think he is at a disadvantage because of his size when it comes to puck possession battles in the corners, along the boards or in front of the net. Kaleta just seems to be a better 1-2 punch on the wing to Stafford IMO.
Gerbe doesn't have Kaleta's ability to run guys through the wall, obviously, but in terms of possession battles I think Gerbe is just as good as Kaleta, if not better. Gerbe may be small, but he actually seperates the defender from the puck in board battles extremely well for a guy his size, whereas Kaleta's big hits tend to come after the puck has already left.

I like Kaleta much better as a 4th line agitator who runs around and hits people than I have in his few stints playing with talented guys. I don't think his puck control is where it needs to be to play with guys like Vanek or Pominville or Stafford.

I also like the idea of having an aggressive, in your face 4th line that has Kaleta with a couple of bigger guys that can hit and cycle, and at least one who's never been shy about dropping the gloves. (McCormick)

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:47 AM
Luceni

Hecht - Connolly - Stafford
Gerbe - Boyes - Pomineville
Vanek - Ennis - Kaleta OR Ennis - Gaustad - Vanek

I think that balances out the top 9 The best. Give Ennis a shot to center the third line. With Vanek and Kaleta on the wing who both can finish and both are defensive responsible, I could see him having success at center especially if vanek starts making the plays he did last time when he has played with ennis. If Ennis can't handle it as center then put Goose on that third center spot. He wins the faceoff battles and vanek and ennis on his wing nake the plays and put the puck to the net where goose is screening the goalie and waits for the garbage. Plus Vanek has been dominating most games as RW.

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:02 AM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
Hecht - Connolly - Stafford
Gerbe - Boyes - Pomineville
Vanek - Ennis - Kaleta OR Ennis - Gaustad - Vanek

I think that balances out the top 9 The best. Give Ennis a shot to center the third line. With Vanek and Kaleta on the wing who both can finish and both are defensive responsible, I could see him having success at center especially if vanek starts making the plays he did last time when he has played with ennis. If Ennis can't handle it as center then put Goose on that third center spot. He wins the faceoff battles and vanek and ennis on his wing nake the plays and put the puck to the net where goose is screening the goalie and waits for the garbage. Plus Vanek has been dominating most games as RW.
Kaleta is going to get one of his linemates killed on of these days. I'd rather not have that person be Vanek or Ennis.

In all honesty, Kaleta needs to play next to McCormick or Gaustad. He can get away with his style of play when there's a big guy with heavy fists on the ice at the same time as him. I don't wanna see Ennis or Vanek in the middle of the scrums that Kaleta's style of play leads to.

It's nice to see those guys get involved in the rough stuff from time to time, but don't put them in a position where they have to do it consistently.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:17 AM
playoffhero

I like the idea. Three is clearly a bigger number that two (3>2).

playoffhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:53 AM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloFan4Life View Post
Because Ennis is one of our most dangerous offensive players and this leaves him out of the mix.

I think its already been established that Connolly and Boyes will at least start by playing together. So add a LW for them. Every proposal without that combo is inaccurate.

CarlWinslow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:22 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
I think the only way we see 9 scoring lines if Boyes is indeed tried at center and Byron/Adam is brought back up...

Hecht - Boyes - Vanek
Gerbe - Connolly - Stafford
Ennis - Adam/Byron - Pominville

.... and for that to happen we would see an injury or Ruff decided to sit one of Grier/Nieds/etc....

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 04:28 AM
Luceni

I've just read that ruff wants to try boyes with connolly first.

My best guess (ruff mode):

Vanek - Connolly - Boyes
Gerbe - Hecht - Pomineville
Ennis - Gaustad - Stafford

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote