HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Post-Trade Deadline Talk

Old
03-01-2011, 11:43 AM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatoe1 View Post
As for Lapierre being a RFA, to be honest I'm not sure it matters that much. 900K is a bit steep for a 4th line center so there is a decent chance they don't qualify him at all. If he ends up being a good fit here I could see a situation where the Canucks offer him a 2-year deal at a lower cap hit which is what they did with Steve Bernier when it became obvious that 2.5 was to much.
Maybe it's just me, but $900,000 seems pretty reasonable for a 4th line centre. I mean, after the $1.2 million per year Ryan Johnson experiment, and the average crap we've been fielding near league minimum I really think you need to spend a bit more on your centres and ice a couple more affordable 4th line wingers (like Glass and Oreskovich) as they seem to come cheaper. I'm not saying Lapierre is the answer, but short of drafting an ideal 4th line centre (which we've failed at miserably since probably Chubarov) or trading for one (an issue we had this year) I think if you can score a solid guy at under $1 million yearly cap hit you're doing alright.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:52 PM
Potatoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Maybe it's just me, but $900,000 seems pretty reasonable for a 4th line centre. I mean, after the $1.2 million per year Ryan Johnson experiment, and the average crap we've been fielding near league minimum I really think you need to spend a bit more on your centres and ice a couple more affordable 4th line wingers (like Glass and Oreskovich) as they seem to come cheaper. I'm not saying Lapierre is the answer, but short of drafting an ideal 4th line centre (which we've failed at miserably since probably Chubarov) or trading for one (an issue we had this year) I think if you can score a solid guy at under $1 million yearly cap hit you're doing alright.

I guess it depends how Lapierre fits in and how he's used.

At 900k I would like a 4th liner who anchors the line, plays a regular shift on the PK, and can be moved up in defensive situations.

There seems to be guys available in free agency who can do those things at a lower price tag.

Potatoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:54 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatoe1 View Post
There seems to be guys available in free agency who can do those things at a lower price tag.
Who in last years FA and who in this years coming FA season?

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:57 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
The problem is that Lapierre was a second round pick. He wasn't supposed to be a fourth line centre.

While he was in Montreal, I'm sure they were constantly bringing up the fact that they chose him over David Backes.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:58 PM
Potatoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
Who in last years FA and who in this years coming FA season?
Eric Belanger, John Madden, Jeff Halpern, Scott Nichol, Aaron Ashem,

Not sure on next year but I wouldn`t expect things to be drastically different.

Potatoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 08:57 PM
Bucky Katt

From Elliotte Freidman:

Quote:
Mike Gillis is right when he says the Canucks have a special kind of chemistry, which is why I was surprised he traded for Maxim Lapierre, who was a flashpoint in Montreal. Yes, Alain Vigneault kept him under control in junior. But, what's even more important is that several Western opponents praised the Lapierre/Higgins acquisitions, saying that was exactly what Vancouver needed.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/ellio...-thoughts.html

Bucky Katt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 09:27 PM
David71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Katt View Post
yan needed some grit/depth to kick potential matchups against them in the playoffs anyways.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 04:36 PM
pitseleh

Don't know if this was mentioned:

Quote:
The Vancouver Canucks sent down Chris Tanev and recalled him in a paper transaction on Monday, which means there’s a good chance he’ll be returned to the Moose once Vancouver’s injured blue-liners are healthy.

“If they’re healthy, I’m pretty sure they won’t have enough cap room to keep eight defencemen,” Moose GM Craig Heisinger said Tuesday.
http://www.winnipegsun.com/sports/ho.../17458386.html

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 04:38 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Higgins met with the press this morning; sounds like a nice guy. Skating on his own for another week then start joining the team for practice.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 04:49 PM
smileyface

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Thanks for the info. That's actually good to know. At least we have the option of sending him down when everyone is healthy.

smileyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 04:59 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Aha, now the cap situation makes sense. Props to opendoor, he called that move yesterday. That makes me a lot less worried about injury/suspension roster complications towards the end of the schedule; Tanev can go down and we can bring whatever we need up.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 05:11 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Look at where they were to start the season; which streak do you believe more? This recent hot streak, which has kind of come out of nowhere, or a team that flubbed the start of the year, missed the playoffs last year, and bowed out in the first round in the years previous to that?

That said--I like the addition of Modin. I would have liked to have seen him in a Canuck uniform. He has injury problems, to be sure, but he also adds big game experience in the form of a Cup ring and an Olympic Gold. And for the cost of a 7th round pick, that experience is a nice addition.
Calgary seems to do a lot better after Sutter resigns, maybe a GM change really had that much effect on the players?

Vancouver_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 05:17 PM
Momesso

The Babchuk deal also played a (minor) role, but firing Sutter really seemed to lift the cloud off the group.

It's not a streak though. They're deep with a bunch of journeymen who all have decent amounts of skill. Kind of like the Panthers when they had their run.

That said, I'm not concerned in the least if we play them in the 1st round and in fact would love the matchup.

Momesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 05:19 PM
ragnarok

Quote:
The other interesting bit in the article is Sweatt's fate claiming that he's done for the year. The original prognosis on his broken foot is 4-5 weeks from the beginning of February so he should be almost healed. Has there been a setback in his recovery?

I understand he can't be re-assigned to the AHL since he was injured at the trade deadline and couldn't go through the same paper transaction, but I find it hard to believe that he won't be activated if he's healthy.

ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 05:34 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Don't know if this was mentioned:

Quote:
“If they’re healthy, I’m pretty sure they won’t have enough cap room to keep eight defencemen,” Moose GM Craig Heisinger said Tuesday.
http://www.winnipegsun.com/sports/ho.../17458386.html
I'd think it would be Sweatt being demoted over Tanev, when he comes off LTIR. Alberts and Edler will be gone until the playoffs, after which they won't need to worry about cap space.

So the Moose would get a defenceman but it won't be Tanev. Though if everyone is healthy in the playoffs, I don't see them keeping Tanev as the 9th defenseman. They'll demote him to the Moose in that case.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 05:41 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
The other interesting bit in the article is Sweatt's fate claiming that he's done for the year. The original prognosis on his broken foot is 4-5 weeks from the beginning of February so he should be almost healed. Has there been a setback in his recovery?

I understand he can't be re-assigned to the AHL since he was injured at the trade deadline and couldn't go through the same paper transaction, but I find it hard to believe that he won't be activated if he's healthy.
from the article:

Quote:
On the other hand, Lee Sweatt is officially done for the season thanks to his broken foot. The Canucks have put Sweatt on the long-term injured list to create salary cap space, which means Sweatt canít play in the NHL or AHL for the rest of the year.
I doubt that's true. They can take him off if they have cap space to move him onto the roster. If he's back before the playoffs, they'll likely do another "paper" transaction by demoting Tanev, move Sweatt onto the roster, then demote Sweatt, bringing back Tanev. Another example of a "professional" hockey writer not understanding the cap. Tanev's cap hit is $250k more than Sweatt's that's all the cap space they need to reactivate Sweatt.

Old
03-02-2011, 05:44 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momesso View Post
The Babchuk deal also played a (minor) role, but firing Sutter really seemed to lift the cloud off the group.

It's not a streak though. They're deep with a bunch of journeymen who all have decent amounts of skill. Kind of like the Panthers when they had their run.

That said, I'm not concerned in the least if we play them in the 1st round and in fact would love the matchup.
Yup, the Canucks definitely have the advantage in the season series to date. They've outscored the Flames 17-8, and have three wins and a shootout loss.

Old
03-02-2011, 05:44 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
from the article:

I doubt that's true. They can take him off if they have cap space to move him onto the roster. If he's back before the playoffs, they'll likely do another "paper" transaction by demoting Tanev, move Sweatt onto the roster, then demote Sweatt, bringing back Tanev. Another example of a "professional" hockey writer not understanding the cap. Tanev's cap hit is $250k more than Sweatt's that's all the cap space they need to reactivate Sweatt.
Nothing the writer said is incorrect. Sweatt can't be demoted because he was on the roster through the trade deadline. The whole point of Tanev's paper transaction was to maintain his eligibility to be sent down. Because Sweatt was injured, the same couldn't happen with him since you can't demote an injured player.

Sweatt's in the NHL (and likely on LTIR) for the rest of the year.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 06:01 PM
ragnarok

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Nothing the writer said is incorrect. Sweatt can't be demoted because he was on the roster through the trade deadline. The whole point of Tanev's paper transaction was to maintain his eligibility to be sent down. Because Sweatt was injured, the same couldn't happen with him since you can't demote an injured player.

Sweatt's in the NHL (and likely on LTIR) for the rest of the year.
I figured Sweatt wasn't going back to the AHL when it became apparent he wouldn't heal by the trading deadline. I just thought that he would be ready to play again before the playoffs based on the original estimates. In that scenario, he could be re-activated and play in the NHL - which is different from what the article states.

ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 06:12 PM
Ernie

Still doesn't add up then, though. If the Canucks won't take Sweatt off of LTIR, who exactly is coming back? Bieksa? When he comes back, Tanev will be the 7th defenseman. I don't see them going with just 6 on the roster when they can afford 7.

Old
03-02-2011, 06:16 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Bieksa isn't on the LTIR, so that doesn't apply at this point.

Sweatt being on the LTIR doesn't mean he can't play in either the NHL or the AHL this season. It just means some juggling would take place as the Canucks would need the cap space to re-activate him. Cap space that could be cleared up by, say, demoting Tanev to the Moose.

The Canucks could then re-activate Sweatt and subsequently demote him.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 06:24 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:

Sweatt being on the LTIR doesn't mean he can't play in either the NHL or the AHL this season. It just means some juggling would take place as the Canucks would need the cap space to re-activate him. Cap space that could be cleared up by, say, demoting Tanev to the Moose.

No, Sweatt can't be demoted; he was on the roster at the deadline and they weren't able to do the same shuffle they did with Tanev. He'll probably get a conditioning trip to Manitoba just before the end of the regular season, but he can't stay beyond that.

Tanev's move just gives us the flexibility to call up a forward or goalie if need be. There's still some vulnerability to multiple injuries/suspensions at the same position, but it's not as bad as it looked at first.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 06:29 PM
opendoor

Quote:

No, Sweatt can't be demoted.

Players who are on the NHL roster at the trade deadline cannot be loaned to the AHL for the rest of the season:

Quote:
13.12 (j)

A Player may be Loaned to a club of any league affiliated with the League at any time up to 3:00 p.m. New York time of the fortieth (40th) day immediately preceding the final day of the Regular Season (the "Trade Deadline"). Following this period only the Player or Players who have been Recalled during such restricted period under Article 13.12(l) or 13.12(m) may be Loaned back to the member club of the affiliated league from which they were Recalled.

That's why Tanev was demoted and then immediately recalled on trade deadline day; it maintained his loan eligibility. That couldn't happen with Sweatt because he was ineligible to be demoted due to injury. Because he was on the roster for the deadline day, he's now ineligible to be loaned to the AHL.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 07:28 PM
Diven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
I figured Sweatt wasn't going back to the AHL when it became apparent he wouldn't heal by the trading deadline. I just thought that he would be ready to play again before the playoffs based on the original estimates. In that scenario, he could be re-activated and play in the NHL - which is different from what the article states.
We could send down Tanev to put Sweatt into the line up, but we wouldn't have room for Alberts to come back once he is healthy. If Alberts isn't ready before the playoffs we would probably rather keep Tanev in the line-up anyway.

I'm guessing this paper transaction for Tanev means he is one of the 4 post deadline call ups.

Diven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 07:32 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diven View Post
I'm guessing this paper transaction for Tanev means he is one of the 4 post deadline call ups.
You're right; that call up happened on Monday.