HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Post-Trade Deadline Talk

Old
03-02-2011, 08:37 PM
Lard_Lad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diven View Post
We could send down Tanev to put Sweatt into the line up, but we wouldn't have room for Alberts to come back once he is healthy. If Alberts isn't ready before the playoffs we would probably rather keep Tanev in the line-up anyway.

I'm guessing this paper transaction for Tanev means he is one of the 4 post deadline call ups.
I don't think Alberts is coming off. We need him on LTIR the rest of the regular season for any of this to work.

And yeah, that burned one of our callups, so we're down to three non-emergency ones.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 08:37 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
That's why Tanev was demoted and then immediately recalled on trade deadline day; it maintained his loan eligibility. That couldn't happen with Sweatt because he was ineligible to be demoted due to injury. Because he was on the roster for the deadline day, he's now ineligible to be loaned to the AHL.
Regardless, the idea that Sweatt can't play in the NHL this season is factually incorrect. The Canucks may choose to keep him on LTIR until the playoffs, but they don't have to, and if they were to see another long term injury before the playoffs they'd likely take him off.

But if they don't, and Bieksa returns, that leaves Tanev as the 7th defenseman, not the 8th, as they maintain in the article. The Canucks would be unlikely to send Tanev down.

It's also worth noting that, barring an injury, there's no way they can afford to bring Alberts back before the playoffs. So he's likely to be on a conditioning stint in the AHL before then as well.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:06 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Regardless, the idea that Sweatt can't play in the NHL this season is factually incorrect. The Canucks may choose to keep him on LTIR until the playoffs, but they don't have to, and if they were to see another long term injury before the playoffs they'd likely take him off.
Technically he's eligible to play in the NHL, but the chances of him doing so are probably fairly slim and I'm almost positive that the plan is for him to shut it down for the year. The Canucks would probably sooner call up a defenseman from the Moose using Sweatt's LTIR space to fill in simply because Sweatt won't have played for so long.

Quote:
But if they don't, and Bieksa returns, that leaves Tanev as the 7th defenseman, not the 8th, as they maintain in the article. The Canucks would be unlikely to send Tanev down.

It's also worth noting that, barring an injury, there's no way they can afford to bring Alberts back before the playoffs. So he's likely to be on a conditioning stint in the AHL before then as well.
They can fit Alberts in if they send Tanev down. The $105K difference in their salaries is covered by the unused LTIR room from Edler + Sweatt.

The following defense (assuming the forwards + goalies stay the same) would have about $72,000 in LTIR space left over:

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Alberts-Ehrhoff
Ballard-Salo
Rome

Edler (LTIR)
Sweatt (LTIR)

As for a conditioning stint, I don't think that's possible after the trade deadline and after the AHL clear day rosters are submitted. Given that, I wouldn't be surprised if they activated Alberts with a few games left in the season (assuming everyone else was healthy and there was no impending need for his LTIR space).

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 11:33 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
The following defense (assuming the forwards + goalies stay the same) would have about $72,000 in LTIR space left over:

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Alberts-Ehrhoff
Ballard-Salo
Rome

Edler (LTIR)
Sweatt (LTIR)

I think that $72k is high (added the difference between Tanev and Albert instead of subtracting it from the ~38k we're at now, maybe?), but yeah, it just barely works - I get us with less than $100 a day of room left. I thought the daily difference between the two of them was a little wider.

One problem I see with activating Alberts is losing the flexibility to move Tanev if something ugly happens right near the end, but by that point it probably won't kill us to have a short roster or Chris Levesque 2.0 on the bench for a game.

Quote:
As for a conditioning stint, I don't think that's possible after the trade deadline and after the AHL clear day rosters are submitted. Given that, I wouldn't be surprised if they activated Alberts with a few games left in the season (assuming everyone else was healthy and there was no impending need for his LTIR space).
I think the CBA allows it - 13.12 (j) says that loans aren't allowed, but loans are defined as moving the player off the NHL club's roster, and the separate definition for conditioning loans specifies that they remain on the roster/LTIR list during the temporary loan.

But I didn't realize the clear day rosters affected the balance of the regular season, too - I thought it was just the playoffs. So we'll get a better idea what the plan is once they come out next week.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 02:48 AM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad View Post
I think that $72k is high (added the difference between Tanev and Albert instead of subtracting it from the ~38k we're at now, maybe?), but yeah, it just barely works - I get us with less than $100 a day of room left. I thought the daily difference between the two of them was a little wider.
Yeah, my math was a little off. Right now they have $177,000 or so in unused LTIR exemptions ($950 per day). If Tanev was sent down and Alberts activated that'd drop by the difference in their salaries which is $150,000, so that'd leave them with $27,000 in unused exemptions. While that number sounds tiny, anything under $500,000 is useless because you still can't call a guy up, so there's little functional difference between $177K and $27K if it's only for the last few days of the season.

Quote:
One problem I see with activating Alberts is losing the flexibility to move Tanev if something ugly happens right near the end, but by that point it probably won't kill us to have a short roster or Chris Levesque 2.0 on the bench for a game.
Yeah, I think they'll probably only do that in the last few games to get Alberts some action before the playoffs in case he's needed. That said, I thought they'd leave $500K in place for a call up and they didn't, so management's risk tolerance might be a lot higher than mine would be.

Quote:
I think the CBA allows it - 13.12 (j) says that loans aren't allowed, but loans are defined as moving the player off the NHL club's roster, and the separate definition for conditioning loans specifies that they remain on the roster/LTIR list during the temporary loan.

But I didn't realize the clear day rosters affected the balance of the regular season, too - I thought it was just the playoffs. So we'll get a better idea what the plan is once they come out next week.
Yeah, the clear day rosters will tell us the whole story. If none of the Canucks are on there, then we'll know a conditioning stint is basically impossible. They come out on March 7th, so we'll know fairly soon.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 11:43 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
No, Sweatt can't be demoted.

Players who are on the NHL roster at the trade deadline cannot be loaned to the AHL for the rest of the season:

That's why Tanev was demoted and then immediately recalled on trade deadline day; it maintained his loan eligibility. That couldn't happen with Sweatt because he was ineligible to be demoted due to injury. Because he was on the roster for the deadline day, he's now ineligible to be loaned to the AHL.
Ahhhh that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 12:38 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
I like how the media is portraying Higgins as some sort of redemption project when he was already having a pretty good season in Florida prior to his hand injury. Was putting up fairly respectable 18-20g / 40+pt pace for the Panthers this season, which when compared to his last couple is a fairly big jump.

Where the local media is saying Higgins is trying to 'get his career back on track'; I think he could have scored himself a fairly nice UFA contract with those numbers after this season.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 12:59 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
I like how the media is portraying Higgins as some sort of redemption project when he was already having a pretty good season in Florida prior to his hand injury. Was putting up fairly respectable 18-20g / 40+pt pace for the Panthers this season, which when compared to his last couple is a fairly big jump.

Where the local media is saying Higgins is trying to 'get his career back on track'; I think he could have scored himself a fairly nice UFA contract with those numbers after this season.
It'd be more accurate to say that no one has seen him play this year so we all have no idea how he's actually been playing.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 01:16 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post

His goalscoring numbers are also quite solid over his career and only look low because he's missed games from injury.

Higgins goals/82 games-

'05-06 - 23
'06-07 - 30
'07-08 - 27
'08-09 - 17
'09-10 - 10
'10-11 - 19

So he's really only had 1 off year where he wasn't scoring at close to a 20 goal pace or better.

Habs fans, Flames fans and Panther fans for the most part all said it was a solid acquisition. Even though Higgins was only being brought in for depth purposes there's potential here for a good longterm fit with the organization. His stats will keep him affordable in free agency and if he finds chemistry with Kesler and gets playing time there his career should be right back on track.

A lot of people are opposed to moving picks for rentals but there's no reason a guy like Higgins couldn't be retained and become a core member of the team.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 01:18 PM
VanEric

His problem was that he set the bar too high at 30 in Montreal when realistically he's more of a 20 goal guy who will bounce between the second and third line.

Reminds me a little of how Samuelsson set the bar so high last year with a career year and this year people have been down on him even though he's producing at his normal rate.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 01:24 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
So he's really only had 1 off year where he wasn't scoring at close to a 20 goal pace or better.
Plus his 'off' season was accompanied by a 4.8% SH% which is less than half of his career average.

This season actually represents the best EV goal scoring pace (19) he's put up in his career, better than even his three big seasons with Montreal. The difference is that in those years he was scoring between 7 and 12 PP goals. He has 0 this season.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 02:04 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Higgin's 10/11 season is already beating the pants off of his 09/10 season which was an abortion either way.

Any offense from him--IMO--is a luxury. I just want him to use his speed and two-way ability to improve the versatility of the bottom-six. He provides great depth and if he can chip in a few goals, terrific.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 02:39 PM
Ernie

I think part of the reason Higgins is being underrated is that he was brought in for a good price.

You usually don't get much for a 3rd round pick. Consider that this was the price tag for Alberts last year at the deadline.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote