HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official deadline day thread 3 (No Richards)

Old
03-01-2011, 11:19 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Actually, it's based upon the new cap figure which starts on July 1.
It should also be pointed out that the cap space Tawnos is counting on from subtractions a) gives too much credit to Drury if he has to be bought out and b) doesn't take into account the room for McCabe.

According to CapGeek, we're at $43.125MM for next year, not counting potential bonuses of $1.275MM (which would put us at $44.4MM). If Drury retires, that's another $7.05MM that you can add. If he doesn't retire and you buy him out, it's another $3,333,333 ($7.05MM less $3,716,667).

So that leaves the following cap space to sign 5 RFAs plus any UFAs:
  • $15MM (assuming all bonuses are paid) + $7.05MM = $22.05 + whatever the cap increase is; or
  • $15MM (assuming all bonuses are paid) + $3.333MM = $18.333 + whatever the cap increase is

This assumes Cally, Dubi, AA, Boyle and Sauer are re-signed and Gilroy walks. It leaves you with 13 forwards (including Newbury and, gag, Boogaard), 4 defensemen and 2 goalies. If you bury Boogie, it leaves you with another $1.625MM in each case.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 11:26 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quite a return he was asking for Richards. Its not surprising to me that Slats was able to resist so easily, Brooks really had it right.

Its not like 1st line centers come on the trade market all that often, but we've been working here to build this core of players and, whether or not the core is good enough for some of us fans, it is what we will be growing with for the time being moving forward.

Would Slats take the opportunity to grab Richards in free agency and lose nothing but Drury? Absolutely. But he isn't about to give away one of the RFA age productive kids on this team to do it. And I admire that.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:08 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
I don't disagree with you at all, I am more happy to make an aggressive move if it is the right move. But do you really think Richards, with all his question marks, was the right move? Personally I do not.

I would rather stockpile and wait for the best move than do something in the near term that may or may not be the right thing. Players become available - for example, Stastny is a guy being discussed and is a player I would give up serious pieces for.

What question marks? His concussion? He'll recover. No one has retired on 1 concussion. They are treating him correctly. Once he signs here, all those people that drummed up the concussion issue will say he's fine. It was an issue when the price was high, once he's free everyone will back off those problems.

Re-signing here? He would have waived his NTC to come here. He is willing to sign prior to UFA with Dallas but the ownership question is his hold up, not dollars. He would have signed with us before July 1.

His play? Please, he's top 10 in the league in every aspect of hockey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
The Rangers don't need to move assets unless it makes sense. Unless it advances the organization and program that is being built here what is the point? You don't need to move assets for Brad Richards. Richards has a concussion, the Stars wanted a Top prospects,#1 pick, and Anisimov for a player that might not even play the rest of the year. Seriously, even if Richards does play how many games out of the 18 remaining would he dress for?

I see people say we are prospect hoarding, as if their is such a thing. Not all kids make it. But i promise you the more prospects a team has the better. Is it possible for a team to be backlogged with kids? Anything is possible but seriously, name teams that this has happened to. Also, what kid is being neglected right now? Who in Hartford deserves a chance that isn't getting one?
I said prospect hoarding. There's a difference between refusing to part with Stepan and a refusal to part with a 1st in this year's draft. The latter is hoarding. Fine, if the price is what Brooks says the price is, Sather made the right call which is why I'm not whining today. But all day yesterday you saw that anything better than a 2nd, Gilroy and Christiansen was an absolute waste. That's ridiculous. If Richards was 29 instead of 30, people would be on board. Somehow Anisimov has more value here than Brad Richards.

I have no issues with the treatment of our kids, no problems with the amount of assets. But to outright refuse to part with anything is silly. It's too far in the other direction than what Smith did here. It's an extreme at this point. I feel the need to point out that I'm not acccusing you of being an extremist... just clarifying my statements leading into the deadline.

Another example of the extremism around here is the willingness to part with valuable parts for Stastny or Weiss, parts they wouldn't dream of moving for Richards. Both guys are so over priced, both in contract and in trade value. It's that they are younger, not by much but younger. Richards is in another class.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:23 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
What question marks? His concussion? He'll recover. No one has retired on 1 concussion. They are treating him correctly. Once he signs here, all those people that drummed up the concussion issue will say he's fine. It was an issue when the price was high, once he's free everyone will back off those problems.

Re-signing here? He would have waived his NTC to come here. He is willing to sign prior to UFA with Dallas but the ownership question is his hold up, not dollars. He would have signed with us before July 1.

His play? Please, he's top 10 in the league in every aspect of hockey.

I said prospect hoarding. There's a difference between refusing to part with Stepan and a refusal to part with a 1st in this year's draft. The latter is hoarding. Fine, if the price is what Brooks says the price is, Sather made the right call which is why I'm not whining today. But all day yesterday you saw that anything better than a 2nd, Gilroy and Christiansen was an absolute waste. That's ridiculous. If Richards was 29 instead of 30, people would be on board. Somehow Anisimov has more value here than Brad Richards.

I have no issues with the treatment of our kids, no problems with the amount of assets. But to outright refuse to part with anything is silly. It's too far in the other direction than what Smith did here. It's an extreme at this point. I feel the need to point out that I'm not acccusing you of being an extremist... just clarifying my statements leading into the deadline.

Another example of the extremism around here is the willingness to part with valuable parts for Stastny or Weiss, parts they wouldn't dream of moving for Richards. Both guys are so over priced, both in contract and in trade value. It's that they are younger, not by much but younger. Richards is in another class.
In all fairness, the guy is 60 days away from being 31. Certainly that's not ancient...but that's still the wrong side of 30 when you are talking about trading assets for and re-signing a player for a long term deal. I know it's not apples to apples, but how old were Drury and Redden when we signed them? As we've seen their production decline was disastrous. I guess I'm just saying that while it's only 2 years, that's a huge difference when talking about beginning a 5 year deal.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:58 PM
94now

No Richards suggests that Sather is simply not afraid to be fired if we don't make playoffs for the second year in the row. HE IS CONFIDENT HE'LL BE IN CHARGE ON JULY 1ST NO MATTER WHAT.
Every time we will lose from now on people would measure in their mind how would it go should we have BR in the lineup.

Last edited by 94now: 03-01-2011 at 02:02 PM.
94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Bardof425*

Richards, who will be a UFA in July, had to be viewed as a rental. Why would you rent in a year when even with the "new guy" you are still a longshot for the Cup? You wouldn't. Add to that the asking price for him and the Slats did the only sensible thing. He is not the only first line center in the league who could be had (especially once the season is over). We wait, see if Richards goes free in July and then try to leverage his relationship with Torts and the fact that we are on the rise and should contend next season and sign him for a reasonable contract (6.5M cap hit).

If he signs elsewhere then we package assets to go get a top line center. We have D-men we could move and backfill with good players. We have young forwards we could move (and backfill with young guys who seem to have futures with many goals) if the return is what we need most; someone to get Gabby the puck in places where he can score often.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:01 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
No Richards suggests that Sather simply not afraid to be fired if we don't make playoffs for the second year in the row. HE IS CONFIDENT HE'LL BE IN CHARGE ON JULY 1ST NO MATTER WHAT.
Every time we will lose from now on people would measure in their mind how would it go should we have BR in the lineup.
Or how it would go with no AA and Richards out with a concussion.

03-01-2011, 01:02 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
No Richards suggests that Sather simply not afraid to be fired if we don't make playoffs for the second year in the row. HE IS CONFIDENT HE'LL BE IN CHARGE ON JULY 1ST NO MATTER WHAT.
Sather isn't going to be fired. Dolan probably doesn't even know who Richards is.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:43 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
Sather isn't going to be fired. Dolan probably doesn't even know who Richards is.
Pierre Mcguire is an idiot. Says we lost because we didnt get richards or a back up goalie even though Biron happened towards the end of the day...

I guess he didn't see that we picked up something we have been lacking since Jagr left... A shot from the point.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=355921

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:02 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolskii View Post
Pierre Mcguire is an idiot. Says we lost because we didnt get richards or a back up goalie even though Biron happened towards the end of the day...

I guess he didn't see that we picked up something we have been lacking since Jagr left... A shot from the point.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=355921
Not to mention we dumped Rosie's salary and picked up a much younger player in Wolski who clearly he has a ton of talent.

Pierre is an idiot. Biron got hurt yesterday. There wasnt a lot of time to make a move for a backup. I'd rather sather not make a move where another GM makes him overpay for a backup.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:09 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
McGuire says some dumb things, but he is by far the most knowledgeable media analyst that there is right now in terms of ice hockey.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:14 PM
94now

Quote:
True, but Dolan knows the difference between playoffs and no playoffs. I wonder what he would think about Alaskan or Russian that will never be an elite performer that cost him so much in revenues.

Old
03-01-2011, 02:16 PM
94now

Quote:
McGuire says some dumb things, but he is by far the most knowledgeable media analyst that there is right now in terms of ice hockey.
And he is right about Sather losing. He didn't say the sky is falling in NY.

Old
03-01-2011, 02:18 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
How did he lose? Because he didnt give into the outrageous asking price Nieuwendyk had for a 30 year old center who is currently out with a concussion? Some people really need to learn some common sense.

Old
03-01-2011, 02:37 PM
azrok22

Interview with Brad Richards . . . nothing earthshattering. Starts around 7 minute mark regarding the trade & UFA -- earlier part about his injury, etc.

Most interesting quote, when discussing what he went through in Tampa Bay, with the ownership situation, and his unwillingness to sign with the uncertain ownership situation thus far:

"Dallas will always be top 2 and be a frontrunner." (at the 9:00 mark) - this is the first time that I've seen it said that his top choice might not actually even be Dallas (could be us, could be TB, could be anyone).

EDIT: Forgot the link: http://stars.nhl.com/club/podcastpla...=120&iid=29623

Last edited by azrok22: 03-01-2011 at 02:49 PM.
azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:38 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
How did he lose? Because he didnt give into the outrageous asking price Nieuwendyk had for a 30 year old center who is currently out with a concussion? Some people really need to learn some common sense.
No one skates with concussion. If Stars believe Richards will help them in fight for playoffs, it must be definite for the Rangers. Sather failed miserably with Gomez and Drury signing and did nothing to correct his mistake. We are still without strong C to the point that people want a 22 year old to carry that. He did replace Rozy, but Drury and Gaborik remain missing. The only way Sather didn't lose is Gaborik coming back soon.

Old
03-01-2011, 02:38 PM
bmw2004

Quote:
By the way, does he know who is Sather?

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:41 PM
azrok22

Also worth noting that a new buyer allegedly has surfaced for the Stars:

Quote:
A new suitor has emerged with an offer to buy the Dallas Stars amid speculation that billionaire Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban could still end up buying the team himself.

In any event, Miller’s offer is believed to be for about $110 million cash, but it would likely be publicly announced as somewhere in the $225 million range. That’s because in addition to the purchase price, Miller would assume about $20 million in existing debt, most of which is owed to the NHL for the advancement of television and revenue sharing money to help keep the Stars afloat. Also built into the purchase price would be four years of losses estimated at about $25 million per year.
Quote:
The NHL originally had set a purchase price of $300 million on the Stars, but the actual selling price of the team will almost certainly be much lower than that.
Quote:
According to a source with knowledge of such matters, the Stars have lost between $26 million and $28 million over the past 12 months.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ase-Stars.html

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:50 PM
bmw2004

I am reading some posts and all I can say is WOW......

This is not Cup ready team with or without BR. Sather did all right by not trading major assets and by not giving up 1st round pick. I am sure that if Richards will not end up with Rangers this off season, Sather will find a missing piece by trading that same 1st round pick and.......... for someone similar or more valuable than BR.

Let’s grow within the team and support our youngsters and future prospects.

LET’S GO RANGERS.

Old
03-01-2011, 02:51 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
No one skates with concussion. If Stars believe Richards will help them in fight for playoffs, it must be definite for the Rangers. Sather failed miserably with Gomez and Drury signing and did nothing to correct his mistake. We are still without strong C to the point that people want a 22 year old to carry that. He did replace Rozy, but Drury and Gaborik remain missing. The only way Sather didn't lose is Gaborik coming back soon.
Good thing your not the GM then. This team isnt one player away from being a stanley cup team THIS year. There was no reason to cave in to Joe N's demands. And who in the hell is saying AA is supposed to be carrying the load? Your just making crap up, thats what your doing. It would have been asinine to trade AA, a 1st, a premium prospect for a guy who we could sign July 1st and make our run at a stanley cup next year. We are currently 7th in the conference. We have a very young D, a team that has had a ton of injuries, we arent in a position to be giving up high quality assets for a cup run because thats ultimately what making a deal like that entails. Its not as if we wont have another shot at richards.

And how do you know what concussions are like? Concussions can vary from person to person. My brother had a concussion a few years back and was able to do things a couple weeks after but wasnt cleared to play. Just because he is skating doesnt mean he is ready to go. I dont know how your coming up with these conclusions that if he's skating he must be ok. Are you basing it off crosby? Because he received two head shots and has a more severe concussion which is why he hasnt been able to skate.

And btw if you do a little research you'd see Dreger saying in is report today that Nieuwndyk really wanted Dubinsky. Sather said no. But of course you would deal dubinsky for him because Richards is a must at all costs, right? AA is younger with more skill than dubinsky. Dubinsky struggled his first couple years and now he is producing. Who's to say AA isnt going down that same path? Patience is a virtue.

Old
03-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Why because we didnt give up a player like dubinsky, a top prospect like Kreider and our 1st round pick for a guy who is injured with a concussion and isnt even playing?

If thats loosing then Im all for it. If Richards was healthy then maybe its questionable that sather doesnt make more of an attempt to bring him in but... What good will Richards do sitting on the sideline and Dubinsky playing for Dallas do us because Joe N wanted a core player, a top prospect and a 1st rounder...

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:55 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolskii View Post
Why because we didnt give up a player like dubinsky, a top prospect like Kreider and our 1st round pick for a guy who is injured with a concussion and isnt even playing?

If thats loosing then Im all for it. If Richards was healthy then maybe its questionable that sather doesnt make more of an attempt to bring him in but... What good will Richards do sitting on the sideline and Dubinsky playing for Dallas do us because Joe N wanted a core player, a top prospect and a 1st rounder...
I wouldnt trade Kreider straight up for BR. Richards will be 31 years old next year! What dont people get? You dont move your best forward prospect(s) for a guy you can sign in 4 months. Thats just effing stupid.

Old
03-01-2011, 02:59 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw2004 View Post
I am reading some posts and all I can say is WOW......

This is not Cup ready team with or without BR.
You're correct if only we are making playoffs. I doubt it. That's it. I want playoffs assets or not. What assets anyway? We do not have any with elite player potential in forwards. AA is the only question mark, the rest is strong no. I'd call the demand outrageous if D were mentioned. We are out of playoffs as we are.

Old
03-01-2011, 03:24 PM
bmw2004

Quote:
You're correct if only we are making playoffs. I doubt it. That's it. I want playoffs assets or not. What assets anyway? We do not have any with elite player potential in forwards. AA is the only question mark, the rest is strong no. I'd call the demand outrageous if D were mentioned. We are out of playoffs as we are.
Out of Playoffs? So be it.

Old
03-01-2011, 03:29 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw2004 View Post
Out of Playoffs? So be it.
indeed. this team is already playing with house money this season anyway. it's been a (mostly) fun ride and it ain't over yet. they are moving in the right direction and i'm excited to see what the future will bring.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote