HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Burke to trade up into the top 10?

Old
02-28-2011, 04:57 PM
seanlinden

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
It would probably be 2 trades. As you say, going up that high in 1 deal is hard.
That just isn't practical.

Let's say that our best pick is #24 overall.... and Burke's plan is to move to #14 then to #9. The team that has 14, isn't going to sign off on any trade until the team that drafts #13 makes their pick. By that time, everyone in the top 10 will have obviously picked.

Remember, teams generally trade down because they think they can get "their guy" at a later pick (and get free assets with which to work with later). Teams trade up because they seek a specific player, not "a top 10 pick". If you're trying to get a team to compromise on the player they want, you're going to have to grossly overpay and that just won't make sense to do. That's why Burke couldn't get Brayden Schenn, couldn't move his way high enough to get John Tavares.

If there's a team in the high teens / low 20s that wants to move down while we identify a player that we like that is available, then it makes sense to do at the cost of a 3rd + 4th rounder or something like that. Otherwise, we're best off looking for roster players while having a 1st round draft pick to dangle as bait similar to what Boston did last year.

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:57 PM
JSBach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
Landeskog will probably end up going to Ottawa and will give us fits for 15 years.
Lol well we missed our big chance to build through the draft, now it's their turn.

JSBach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:01 PM
Mancunian

I would really like to move up and grab Dougie Hamilton. If we can also land Boone Jenner that would be a pretty major 1st round success

Mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:01 PM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Quote:
Landeskog will probably end up going to Ottawa and will give us fits for 15 years.

I was thinking Boston rather than OTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsrule123 View Post
Have to think trading 2 1sts and a second you would get a player like Phil Kessel

All kidding aside I think we could do it without using all the picks. The Islanders did it with a 20 something pick plus a 3rd and a 5th or something. We have 3 6th round picks. Do something with them.

If were are trading up wasting those picks then let it be for these players

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins- Impossible
Gabriel Landeskog- Impossible
Sean Couturier- Would take a miracle
Ryan Murphy- Another miracle but more realistic
Yeah, someone is going to hand Burke a Top 10 pick if he entices them with TOR's three picks in the 6th round...

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:02 PM
cupcrazyman
In Shanny We Trust

he might want to jump into the top 5 .this is considered a weak draft with anyone of 4 players going #1.any decent player might not be around when a team steps up to pick 6th,7th,.....

maybe it would be best to trade those picks for picks in 2012 since Burke doesn't build thru the draft but would have better bargaining chips to play with.

Last edited by cupcrazyman: 02-28-2011 at 05:08 PM.
cupcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:04 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcrazyman View Post
he might want to jump into the top 5 .this is considered a weak draft with anyone of 4 players going #1.any decent player might not be around when a team steps up to pick 6th,7th,.....

maybe it would be best to trade those picks for for picks in 2012 since Burke doesn't build thru the draft but would have better bargaining chips to play with.
Why did he hire all of those additional amateur scots?

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:05 PM
Im Old Gregggg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
That just isn't practical.

Let's say that our best pick is #24 overall.... and Burke's plan is to move to #14 then to #9. The team that has 14, isn't going to sign off on any trade until the team that drafts #13 makes their pick. By that time, everyone in the top 10 will have obviously picked.

Remember, teams generally trade down because they think they can get "their guy" at a later pick (and get free assets with which to work with later). Teams trade up because they seek a specific player, not "a top 10 pick". If you're trying to get a team to compromise on the player they want, you're going to have to grossly overpay and that just won't make sense to do. That's why Burke couldn't get Brayden Schenn, couldn't move his way high enough to get John Tavares.

If there's a team in the high teens / low 20s that wants to move down while we identify a player that we like that is available, then it makes sense to do at the cost of a 3rd + 4th rounder or something like that. Otherwise, we're best off looking for roster players while having a 1st round draft pick to dangle as bait similar to what Boston did last year.
i agree 100%

imo unless we can move up to get a potential stud like landeskog or murphy i think we should stay pat unless someone high on the leafs list drops to mid teens and we wont have to overpay to take him (ex fowler last year) or trade them for an established player in the nhl

i like the idea of having 3 picks in the 25-40 range... imo we could land some useful players and in that range their is potential to still land a potential impact guy this draft year is a toss up

Im Old Gregggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:06 PM
Schennanigans
HFBoards Sponsor

Seriously, how about those scouts do their job, and scout good players....

Schennanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:07 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
Well I'm sure he'll look at it though really it's all up to the scouts to decide if the guys up there are worth making the trades. If we can get somewhere in the top 10 it could be worth doing, but if not picking with what we have should get some decent results.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:16 PM
Bills09

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLsince95 View Post
Brandon Saad

/thread
this

Bills09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:19 PM
wulfio*

has larsson slid in value or something? First half they were talking about him being the #1. Now people aren't listing him in their top 4? From what I've read he's lidstromesque with more edge.

wulfio* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:20 PM
Buddio
CFC

vCash: 900
I would keep the highest first and package the other with our second to move up a few spots.

Buddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:20 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Old Gregggg View Post
i agree 100%

imo unless we can move up to get a potential stud like landeskog or murphy i think we should stay pat unless someone high on the leafs list drops to mid teens and we wont have to overpay to take him (ex fowler last year) or trade them for an established player in the nhl

i like the idea of having 3 picks in the 25-40 range... imo we could land some useful players and in that range their is potential to still land a potential impact guy this draft year is a toss up
Yeah -- me too. It should give you 3 decent assets that hold plenty of trade value down the road. Personally, I'd make one available, and look to draft a potential Mike Richards/Ryan Kesler type centre (maybe doesn't have the most offensive upside, but a solid physical two-way guy), and problably a potential scoring winger. Then use the 3rd rounder to pick up a goaltender.

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:21 PM
James Duthie
Kadri is 3 Hunna

RYAN NUGENT HOPKINS RYAN NUGENT HOPKINS RYAN NUGENT HOPKINS!!!!
No but in all serious matter I'd love to see Toronto draft in the first round 2 times.. Unless we're getting a pick that's in the range of 5-12 I rather not do it

James Duthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:22 PM
Epoch

I would love Landeskog, but yeah.... not happening.

Epoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:23 PM
Bigleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Why did he hire all of those additional amateur scots?
Why, of course to play at the season opener. And, why do you classify them as amateur?

Bigleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:24 PM
Crispy Crust

vCash: 570
Brandon Saad.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:28 PM
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC

Though I don't think he'll be able to trade up that far, I'd want Ryan Strome. He's gonna surprise.

Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

I made a thread about this option... RYAN MURPHY!!!! BY FAR the best D-man in the draft and possibly the best in the entire 2010/2011 draft.

Heck i'd even through in the Phi 3rd if it were possible to get RM

Rockinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:53 PM
Guy Boucher

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsrule123 View Post
Have to think trading 2 1sts and a second you would get a player like Phil Kessel

All kidding aside I think we could do it without using all the picks. The Islanders did it with a 20 something pick plus a 3rd and a 5th or something. We have 3 6th round picks. Do something with them.

If were are trading up wasting those picks then let it be for these players

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins- Impossible
Gabriel Landeskog- Impossible
Sean Couturier- Would take a miracle
Ryan Murphy- Another miracle but more realistic
Where does that leave Larsson?

As far as I'm concerned, there are 3 "can't miss" prospects in this draft: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Gabriel Landeskog and Adam Larsson.

Larsson is more of a project than the other two which is why he is downplayed, but I would absolutely love to see him on the Leafs.

Guy Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:56 PM
Baba Ganoush

i don't know enough about this years draft to have much of an opinion...but unless Burke has his sights set on one specific player, i think i like our chances of one out of three picks between 20-40 developing into a nice player more than i do relying on one in the top 12 or so in a supposed weak draft.

long story short, 3 picks in top 40 > 1 pick in top 12 or so...but that's just one guys opinion of a draft he knows little aboot.

Baba Ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:57 PM
totesmcgotes

I'd really like the Leafs to just pick twice in the first round and hope for a Mike Richards/Jeff Carter or Ryan Getzlaf/Corey Perry situation, but if they could move up and get Dougie Hamilton I'd be ecstatic. This guy is going to be a beast in the NHL. I'd say he might even be able to step in as soon as next year ala Luke Schenn.

totesmcgotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:00 PM
Jake Gardiner
He's everywhere!

Brandon Saad? Really?
He takes too many penalties, and is most likely a 3rd line grinder with below average skating ability... Please not him...

Jake Gardiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:01 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Quote:
This is a very real possibilliy actually

IMO this is how it will pan out according to need and final positions.

1. Ott - Landeskog - The next Alfredsson
2. Edm - RNH - Need a big time C to play with there young gun wingers
3. NYI - Larsson - Need a PMD and will go with the hype of Larsson instead of the skill of Murphy
4. NJ - Couturier - Parise and Kovy both play LW, Zajac for one and Couturier for the other
5. Fla - Murphy - Tallon gets his version of Keith/Seabrook with Murphy/Gudbrandson

Rockinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:07 PM
trellaine201

You can bet our pick will be an "american" Burke is like Raptors GM....instead of picking Euros, we have Burke collecting Americans. It doesn't matter whether they are good or can play. It's their birth place that matters. And look at the Raps

trellaine201 is offline   Reply With Quote