HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Router help

Old
02-28-2011, 05:12 PM
Sovereign
Old.

vCash: 500
Router help

Can any of you tech savvy guys help me out with my router settings? I'm trying to run my 360 into my router's DMZ so my NAT will be open and I'm unsure of the IP range. It says 198.168.1.122 to ____. My question is what do I enter into the blank field? I realize it's a risky move to do this, but I am not good with computer tech and port forwarding.

Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:23 PM
Kekumba

Send a message via AIM to Kekumba Send a message via MSN to Kekumba Send a message via Skype™ to Kekumba
http://portforward.com/ Find your router model, then go to Xbox 360, and it should be easy after there. I'd give you a step by step, but my router login page is insanely slow right now and I forget the names of some of the things in it.

Kekumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:16 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruled By Secrecy View Post
Can any of you tech savvy guys help me out with my router settings? I'm trying to run my 360 into my router's DMZ so my NAT will be open and I'm unsure of the IP range. It says 198.168.1.122 to ____. My question is what do I enter into the blank field? I realize it's a risky move to do this, but I am not good with computer tech and port forwarding.
You will need the port but what is really being asked is the IP of Xbox. Here's a little understanding of what is happening: Each device connected to your access point (router is not the appropriate term) is assigned an IP address. Typically it is between 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254. If you have a setting on you access point (AP) that says something like "Local Network" or "Devices" or "LAN Clients" you'll see a list of all the devices connected. Your Xbox may be configured to tell your AP it's name - something like XBOX. Look around in your menu for something like this.

So, each device has an address and information is sent to that device via a protocol or port. If the device is accessing web content, it communicates on port 80. If it's transferring files, it uses (usually) port 21. If it's sending mail, it's using port 25. These ports are defined that's how I know them. The XBox needs to send and receive information from it's ip address, and on a specific port or range of ports. Based on the portforward list it appears to be 3074 (usually).

Your AP is asking what address range to send data for the XBox. Assuming you only have one XBox, you will only ever 1 ip address. So, if the IP of the XBox is 192.168.1.104, you will enter a range of 192.168.1.104 - 192.168.1.104.

MainDotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:07 PM
Sovereign
Old.

Alright! It's working! Thanks all. Now I can get back to being a horribly mediocre Black Ops players

Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote