HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

So, are you happy with what we have going forward?

Old
02-28-2011, 05:20 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

vCash: 500
So, are you happy with what we have going forward?

We know, barring waiver pickings, what our team is going into the playoffs now.

Are you optimistic with this bunch?

For me, getting Campoli does make us a better team. I like the look of our defense for the most part - I wish we had gotten someone who could punish opposing players, but obviously there weren't any available for any price we were willing to move. We have no AHL talent level players left on the defense, though, and that is good. I hope he fits in well.

Our goaltending SEEMS good enough. We hope.

The forward corps looks like it's going to remain a problem. The mess mostly comes from overuse of Kopecky and a very weak bottom six. There's almost no physical presence at all and too many times I have seen things to make me question the heart of the forwards too.

I think this team is good enough to be threatening in the playoffs, but doesn't have the forward mix to go all the way. I wish Bowman had found a center - not at the deadline, but two months ago.

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:22 PM
LarmerAmonteSeabrook

It looks like this team has finally started to turn the corner, so yes. I think that what we have is good enough to compete.

LarmerAmonteSeabrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:32 PM
MadhouseOnMadison
Man crush on Amonte

More or less I'm happy with who we're moving forward with in our lineup. I think that our bottom six is capable of more, it seems like they just need some sort of shakeup as far as who is with who because right now it's a lot of chances with no points to show for it.

MadhouseOnMadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:32 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

If properly utilized, I'm happy with what we have right now between Chicago and Rockford.

deytookerjaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:33 PM
Cullksinikers

Simply, yes.

We're hot, but I'm worried about no one stepping up as the #4 center.

Cullksinikers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:36 PM
MadhouseOnMadison
Man crush on Amonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
Simply, yes.

We're hot, but I'm worried about no one stepping up as the #4 center.
I liked Dowell better at center.

Old
02-28-2011, 05:42 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

vCash: 1868
Dowell is a good number 4, the only problem is we don't have a 2 or 3 depending on how you view Bolland.

Gootie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:44 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gootie42 View Post
Dowell is a good number 4, the only problem is we don't have a 2 or 3 depending on how you view Bolland.
Bingo.

Old
02-28-2011, 05:51 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Am I happy? No

Campoli is the exact opposite of what we needed , Stalberg still sucks , We still are basically a 1 line team + Hossa

But whent it comes down to it this is what we got and we are just gonna have to go forward with it

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:51 PM
BobbyJet

Yes, we're soft in the back end but we were soft last year and got away with it. I especially like the latest trend of our dmen joining the rush and Campoli. I think, makes our defence stronger than last year overall. Up front though I think we are capable of holding our own physically against most teams. 29, 22, 19 and 81 are all more than capable of taking the body. I have more faith in our bottom 6 and our 4th line has been playing quite well. Keep 82 in the bottom 6 (and off the pp) and give 67 and 29 some pp time.

Two main concerns as we go down the stretch: injuries to any of our dmen could hurt, (especially with the heavy schedule) as the depth is not there. Goaltending is my main concern. CC has been steady but is still a rookie and Turco hasn't played enough and we are in no position to cut him any slack at this juncture. He's gonna need all his experience and a solid team in front of him, when he does get the nod.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:54 PM
massivegoonery

Campoli is exactly what we needed. Who would you want instead, Martinek? Might as well have kept Boynton.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:55 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
Campoli is exactly what we needed. Who would you want instead, Martinek? Might as well have kept Boynton.
Actually Martinek was guy I wanted

And he is far better then Boynton and Campoli

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:58 PM
darkcaptain86

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadhouseOnMadison View Post
I liked Dowell better at center.
Dowell does play at center, at least in the past few games (unless I'm mistaken). Lines used for the bottom six -

Frolik-Dowell-Brouwer
Stalberg-Johnson-Kopecky

darkcaptain86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:02 PM
MadhouseOnMadison
Man crush on Amonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcaptain86 View Post
Dowell does play at center, at least in the past few games (unless I'm mistaken). Lines used for the bottom six -

Frolik-Dowell-Brouwer
Stalberg-Johnson-Kopecky
For some reason I thought he moved to wing once Johnson came into the picture. I must not have been paying attention.

Old
02-28-2011, 06:10 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Ike View Post
We know, barring waiver pickings, what our team is going into the playoffs now.

Are you optimistic with this bunch?

For me, getting Campoli does make us a better team. I like the look of our defense for the most part - I wish we had gotten someone who could punish opposing players, but obviously there weren't any available for any price we were willing to move. We have no AHL talent level players left on the defense, though, and that is good. I hope he fits in well.

Our goaltending SEEMS good enough. We hope.

The forward corps looks like it's going to remain a problem. The mess mostly comes from overuse of Kopecky and a very weak bottom six. There's almost no physical presence at all and too many times I have seen things to make me question the heart of the forwards too.

I think this team is good enough to be threatening in the playoffs, but doesn't have the forward mix to go all the way. I wish Bowman had found a center - not at the deadline, but two months ago.
I'm pretty happy. This team has been playing very well as of late. Finally it seems everyone is healthy and they have the goaltending situation figured out. The Hawks really hurt themselves early in October and November whether it was a Cup hangover or injuries....the team finally is starting to click. Hope they prove me right andd keep it going.

Its funny you say they don't have the forward mix to go all the way, they are 4th in scoring this season. Its the back end and goal tending that has hurt them this season. I guess you could say the forwards have contributed to that problem, but people act like this team doesn't score and that simply isn't true.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:12 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

This is not our season, pretty clearly. At the end of the day we aquired an RFA who could still be around on a reasonable contract next season while only giving up one of our mulitple 2nd rounders and a minor leaguer.

We kept our prospects, most of our picks and added a young-ish PMD who fits our system. I really think this our board overrates physical Dmen. We have essentially the same D corps as last year minus Sopel.. he wasn't phyiscal at all. Keith, Seabs, Hammer need to play to their potential, no #6/5 Dman will dramatically improve the teams success.

Overall, pleased with the player we got and not worried about what we gave up to get him.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:17 PM
Spectra
Registered boozer

I have hopes for Campoli being a steady bottom pairing guy.

However, we are now stuck with two #4 centers and only one of them can win draws.

We also do not have enough agitators on the team and that will hurt us in the playoffs. The Hawks are one of the softest teams in the league. We weren't that tough last year either but that was fine since we had the puck most of the time...

I thought Bowman saw that trading for a center was a big priority but guess I was wrong. A Konopka for draws and toughness or a Reasoner for draws and D wouldn't have cost too much. I would have gladly given upp as much as a 2nd for someone like that.

I'm calling it now, if we make the playoffs, first round exit. That's fine though, just as long as we make it and avoid the humiliation of not getting to defend the Cup...

Spectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:19 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

vCash: 1868
I just wish we had some more grit/edgy players in the bottom 6.

Gootie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:22 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

vCash: 995
I really wish we had another centre...Dowell being the 3rd line C pretty much kills them as a scoring line, which was one of our greatest strengths last year.

Other than that I'm happy...if we get Johnson off the PK.

theaub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:23 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectra View Post
I have hopes for Campoli being a steady bottom pairing guy.

However, we are now stuck with two #4 centers and only one of them can win draws.

We also do not have enough agitators on the team and that will hurt us in the playoffs. The Hawks are one of the softest teams in the league. We weren't that tough last year either but that was fine since we had the puck most of the time...

I thought Bowman saw that trading for a center was a big priority but guess I was wrong. A Konopka for draws and toughness or a Reasoner for draws and D wouldn't have cost too much. I would have gladly given upp as much as a 2nd for someone like that.

I'm calling it now, if we make the playoffs, first round exit. That's fine though, just as long as we make it and avoid the humiliation of not getting to defend the Cup...
Don't really know why people think this. Sure guys like Ladd, Brouwer, Buff, and Versteeg didn't drop the gloves all the time if at all, but they were/are hard-nosed players that most of the time brought a physical edge. Then on top of those guys we had Eager, Burish, and Fraser who hit everything in sight and fought for teammates. We were a tough team last year that was hard to play against.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:24 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

More like grit and edge throughout the entire forward corps. Ladd provided so much grit and Byfuglien an almost unmatchable physical presence (when he wanted), and even Versteeg wasn't soft... this hasn't been replaced. Even Burish and Eager brought some. That's why I don't like the forward corps. They do score a lot, because there's a lot of talent there, but the twelve as a whole don't have the second dimension at all.

Going to make us an easy team to play against. Not necessarily beat, but we won't scare anyone.

Old
02-28-2011, 06:27 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

And look at me get post sniped too.

Old
02-28-2011, 06:33 PM
BobbyJet

As you recall in last playoffs it was our team discipline that played dividends and we killed teams with our pp. Bolland was a key factor in getting under the opps skins but we will surely miss the likes of Eager, Ladd and Burish. Guys must step up and play meaner led by Brouwer and Bickell. Are we capable?

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 07:27 PM
Spectra
Registered boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Don't really know why people think this. Sure guys like Ladd, Brouwer, Buff, and Versteeg didn't drop the gloves all the time if at all, but they were/are hard-nosed players that most of the time brought a physical edge. Then on top of those guys we had Eager, Burish, and Fraser who hit everything in sight and fought for teammates. We were a tough team last year that was hard to play against.
That's pretty much my point. I know we had toughness, just not "Boston/Philly" toughness. I wanted us to get tougher before the deadline and we didn't and will thus get manhandled by other teams in the playoffs. The only players with some sandpaper on the team are Brouwer and Dowell. That doesn't scare anybody. Bickell could be a force but it doesn't look like he has enough balls for that...

Spectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 07:31 PM
Badger36

Im cautiously optimistic. Im still a bit nervous about the goaltending. We're fine if Crawford stays healthy and hot but if he goes down to injury or cracks under the pressure we are screwed.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote