HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So, are you happy with what we have going forward?

Old
02-28-2011, 08:20 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

vCash: 500
I'm cautiously optimistic as well, but more so with our forward group. Campoli is a nice guy to have considering Hendry will be out. Wish we would've given up Toronto's 3rd (not sure if it's the Laff's, I know we have an earlier 3rd though) for him instead but we had 3 seconds so I'm not too torn about it. So I think our D is solid going forward as long as Seabs and Keith step up their game.

Crawford has been just as solid as Niemi. To say he has the ability to perform under playoff pressure is a shot in the dark, but I'm willing to bet that he won't cost us games. If he gets injured though, watch out (same goes for any of our big guys though).

The real question mark, to me, is how our forwards will respond to tighter defensive games from the opposition, more physicality and the other teams playing their hardest. We've seen our team routinely outworked and outplayed when the pressure is on, I'm not sure if the playoffs will change that.

I guess I'm a bit torn about our team currently, I feel confident that this group can go as far as Toews/Kane/Sharp will take us, but if they are shut down, I don't know if the rest of the group can pick up the slack. I hope I'm wrong, but if we get a playoff berth, I don't see us getting much beyond the 2nd round or even the 1st, depending on our match-up.

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:26 PM
stingo
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Actually Martinek was guy I wanted

And he is far better then Boynton and Campoli
Not true. How many times have you seen Campoli play, honestly? Two? Three tops.

I wish we had of picked up some grit for the bottom 6 - a Neil type.

stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:39 PM
KyleJRM

Definitely. I remain convinced this is one of the top 4 teams in the conference that is just having some trouble turning goal-differential into wins. That won't last forever.

KyleJRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 09:57 PM
DayNah
Ship it donk!

vCash: 561
If the Hawks keep playing like they have the past few games I feel pretty good. Toews has been a machine lately!

DayNah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:11 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

as long as Toews is in Beast mode, we are good up front. Our D is great, like it how it looks. We won't win it all this year, but if we do it's even better than last year

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 07:32 AM
slappipappi

Our +29 goal differential (5th in the NHL, 1 behind Detroit) suggest we could make plenty of noise in the playoffs.

The only other West team better than that is Vancouver. You could make a solid argument that we are easily the third best team in the West right now.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 08:03 AM
IJReilly

I'm really happy with our play of late, but a little worried about how top-heavy our forwards are now. Toews/Kane/Sharp is a sick first line, but they can't do it all by themselves. Who's going to step up if and when they have an off night? That's my concern. The second line hasn't really gelled yet, and the bottom-6 is still inconsistent. The Hawks right now remind me of some of our playoff opponents in years past, when the Bolland line was able to neutralize their big guns. We may well be on the receiving end of that this time around.

IJReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 08:28 AM
RedBaronIndian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJReilly View Post
I'm really happy with our play of late, but a little worried about how top-heavy our forwards are now. Toews/Kane/Sharp is a sick first line, but they can't do it all by themselves. Who's going to step up if and when they have an off night? That's my concern. The second line hasn't really gelled yet, and the bottom-6 is still inconsistent. The Hawks right now remind me of some of our playoff opponents in years past, when the Bolland line was able to neutralize their big guns. We may well be on the receiving end of that this time around.
That is a concern for me as well especially if we meet a team with great top pairing Dmen.
Frolik has to play in the top 6 and get going before playoffs (if we get there). He certainly has the required skill. We will have potent 2nd line then(Frolik-Hossa-Bolland)

RedBaronIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 09:12 AM
theaub
34-38-61-10-13-15

Honestly I'm happy with the line arrangements, since we have two guys who can score on the third line in Brouwer/Frolik. I'm praying that Bickell has a mini-Buff explosion in the playoffs, not in terms of scoring (would be nice), but just in using his body. If he does that, we'll have three solid lines.

theaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 09:19 AM
digdug41982

I'm really happy and excited about our team going forward. Campoli isn't an allstar by any means, but he is a significantly better player and fit than the other players who have occupied that spot. I think he's going to make a bigger difference than some people think, especially offensively. Look at how we played the last few games and insert a fast PMD in there and it only helps. Ottawa is not nearly as fast of a team as the Hawks so I think Campoli will really like it here and show everything he's capable of. Like Bowman said on the radio this morning, Frolik is playing well and really solidifies the 3rd line. I don't see any reason why he can't succeed there; he's just been a little snake bitten and uncomfortable with a new team. He and Bickell are interchangible depending on who is going well, but Bickell is playing well and really raising his all around game lately. A fast, highly skilled offensive team with good defense and a very good, consistent goalie like Crawford can go on a long Cup run. I can't wait for the playoffs; a couple deals and players playing to their full abilitly level has made all the difference in the world for me.

And yes, a center would have really completed this team, but I've been happy with Johnson's play and don't mind Kopecky as 3rd line C. He's a better option than a lot of the teams competing with us have. He's also a guy who steps up in big games.

Last edited by digdug41982: 03-01-2011 at 09:31 AM.
digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 11:55 AM
Suburbanbear

I am excited. The way we have been playing lately, I think we have the one of the best top two lines in hockey.

When our offense aggressively follows the lead of Toews (aggressively backchecking, play the neutral zone aggressively whether you are in front of the puck or behind it) we make things happen and people can not keep up with us....even teams like the preds who seem to play as physical as anyone.

I love the addition of Frolik even though he hasn't hit the scoreboard yet and from what I hear about Campoli he could be another nice addition. I sometimes worry about our center situation and wish our PK was was stronger but if we remain healthy we could go far again this year.

Suburbanbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Am I happy? No

Campoli is the exact opposite of what we needed , Stalberg still sucks , We still are basically a 1 line team + Hossa

But whent it comes down to it this is what we got and we are just gonna have to go forward with it
C'mon man - this team has lots of potential.

Things are just starting to click, this team is a serious dark horse.

If the Hawks can make it to the playoffs, this team can be a contender. Its a new slate, a fresh start from that point on.

Hawksfan2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:19 PM
Hawksfan2828

I'm happy, this team is finally starting to get some cohesion, and the younger guys are finally starting to understand their roles.

Not to mention no more Cullimore/Boynton is a huge plus.

Old
03-01-2011, 01:30 PM
Sevanston

Optimistic, but cautious.

Maybe I'm still feeling strange because we don't have the depth we did last year. I had kind of come to accept that as normal.

I don't yet feel comfortable with having our star players drag our team through the playoffs. Not that they can't do it, but I'm afraid that they'll be too tired to do it come April. When our 3rd line starts scoring again and our PK picks up, I'll feel much better about this team in the playoffs.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksfan2828 View Post
I'm happy, this team is finally starting to get some cohesion, and the younger guys are finally starting to understand their roles.

Not to mention no more Cullimore/Boynton is a huge plus.
Cullimore will be back with Hawks by end of year and is gonna be our #7

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:11 PM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Cullimore will be back with Hawks by end of year and is gonna be our #7
I hope not.

Old
03-01-2011, 03:15 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksfan2828 View Post
I hope not.
Sadly it is coming

I will give Campoli a chance but I was correct on Huet and Stalberg blunders and I fear I will be correct on this one as well

Old
03-01-2011, 03:26 PM
digdug41982

Quote:
Sadly it is coming

I will give Campoli a chance but I was correct on Huet and Stalberg blunders and I fear I will be correct on this one as well
I just think your'e not happy it was an offensive D-man, but the fit is definitely there. We shall see.

Old
03-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I just think your'e not happy it was an offensive D-man, but the fit is definitely there. We shall see.
Not really

I thought Campoli was awful with Isles and what I have seen of him with Sens it wasn't anything to be excited about

Old
03-01-2011, 03:59 PM
digdug41982

That Sens team is not good, mostly made up of players that didn't live up to expectations. I think Campoli will be more comfortable here and he will have more freedom to jump in the play and more confidence to make plays with our high skill guys around him.

Old
03-01-2011, 05:23 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Quote:
That Sens team is not good, mostly made up of players that didn't live up to expectations. I think Campoli will be more comfortable here and he will have more freedom to jump in the play and more confidence to make plays with our high skill guys around him.

I think we are hoping the same, well, most of us.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

Quote:
^
That was exactly what the problem was when I watched him with Isles

When he has freedom with puck he ignores his D responsibities

Old
03-02-2011, 09:11 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
^

Didn't he play for the Isles going on 2 years ago now? He's said it himself, this year in Ottawa he was given more of a shut-down role and feals he's overall game has improved alot since he first came to Ottawa.

At the end of the day, only 2 Dmen for Ottawa had respectable plus/minus ratings, he was one of those Dmen with a -3 rating I believe. Every other Dman in Ottawa (besides Carker) is -20 or worse, with Karlsson heading the list at -31.

I don't usually put much stock in plus/minues but when the difference is that large, it says something about his defensive game this season.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:24 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
^

Same thing could be said of Campbell before he was asked to not take as many chances and stay at home for the Hawks.

Illinihockey is online now   Reply With Quote