HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Does Steckel's acquisition impact Clarkson's future as a Devil?

Old
02-28-2011, 05:51 PM
SpeakingOfTheDevils
Devils Advocate

vCash: 500
Does Steckel's acquisition impact Clarkson's future as a Devil?

As we all know, the Devils traded C Jason Arnott to WSH for C David Steckel and a 2nd round pick. First off, can any Caps fan shed some light as to what we Devils fans can expect from Steckel?

Secondly, it is a popular topic on these boards to talk about the exchange of David Clarkson to Team X. Does Steckel's acquisition impact Clarkson's future in NJ at all? In my opinion, Steckel is much bigger, better on the PK and is 1st in the league with Faceoff %, so I guess that he's an upgrade (I can't determine this before seeing Steckel play and/or hearing some feedback from Caps fans on this baord)

Does this trade foreshadow Clarkson's departure via trade this offseason?

SpeakingOfTheDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:05 PM
tim

Plenty of descriptions of Steckel in this thread:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=884473

The gist of it is that he's not a very strong skater but excellent on the faceoff dot. Unfortunately, beyond the faceoffs and moderate PK skills, that's about it. Good for 10-20 points a season but he may flourish a bit given more ice time in the Devils' system. He's been fairly invisible since 09. Defensively oriented - big frame but doesn't use it effectively.

tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:07 PM
Bieber fever

Steckel can give good hits

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:10 PM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

Steckel is a centre and Clarkson is a wing. How can you compare them? If anything, they could hopefully become a good tandem.

No.

britdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:13 PM
JoeLH

Is see a positive impact. Steckel is familiar with playing in a bottom six role (and has the best faceoff PC in the NHL), Arnott wasn't. IMO, this could be a really nice trade for the Devils, because they gave up nothing very relevant concerning their recent success.

JoeLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:17 PM
njdevilsjds
#CoryDays

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevils3034 View Post
As we all know, the Devils traded C Jason Arnott to WSH for C David Steckel and a 2nd round pick. First off, can any Caps fan shed some light as to what we Devils fans can expect from Steckel?

Secondly, it is a popular topic on these boards to talk about the exchange of David Clarkson to Team X. Does Steckel's acquisition impact Clarkson's future in NJ at all? In my opinion, Steckel is much bigger, better on the PK and is 1st in the league with Faceoff %, so I guess that he's an upgrade (I can't determine this before seeing Steckel play and/or hearing some feedback from Caps fans on this baord)

I do not believe the acqusition Steckel will impact Clarkson at all Lou loves him just as most devils fans do but having both I think is a physical advantage.

njdevilsjds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:23 PM
straka91*

Um no.

straka91* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:33 PM
birddog*

At 2.67 Clackson isn't a real good value for a team like the Devils and with 9 goals won't fetch much.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:52 PM
danishh

vCash: 50
Even before this moving clarkson was a possibility.

parise needs a new contract, zharkov will probably get a modest raise, and then after that the devs have to fill out their roster. Moving one of zubrus or clarkson could be necessary to do so. Clarkson at his price may be moved for cheap in order to allow the devils to spread the money around in the bottom-6, or else they'll have to fill out with 3 or 4 league minimum guys.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:47 PM
SpeakingOfTheDevils
Devils Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
Even before this moving clarkson was a possibility.

parise needs a new contract, zharkov will probably get a modest raise, and then after that the devs have to fill out their roster. Moving one of zubrus or clarkson could be necessary to do so. Clarkson at his price may be moved for cheap in order to allow the devils to spread the money around in the bottom-6, or else they'll have to fill out with 3 or 4 league minimum guys.
This is what I was thinking of and meant when I made the thread.

With the re-signing needs (Parise, the youngsters, Greene, etc.. Moose?), the Devils can't afford to have albatross contracts in Clarkson, even Rolston.

This goes back to the original question -- does the acquisition of a new gritty forward with an even bigger frame with ~$1.5M less than Clarkson's contract mean that Clarkson's days in Jersey may be coming to a close?

SpeakingOfTheDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:52 PM
txpd

caps fan. steckel. the good. best or among the best face off men in the league. can score a big game goal for you. is solid on defense and the pk....lotsa reach. he is awesome on a 5 on 3 pk. the bad. hands of stone. he will win that defense zone pk face off every time. give him back the puck to clear and he gives it away. he is SLOOOWWWWWWW.

good team player. good in the room.

this is just a guess, but i think lou wanted arnott for the 2nd. mcphee insisted that nj take the contract. its believed that steckel was being traded and it fell through. that was what caused the infamous belanger thing. that indicates mcphee has been wanting to move that contract for a while.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:58 PM
Seikalym

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce514 View Post
On NHL 11...

Seikalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 09:05 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce514 View Post
Only when people run into him when he isn't looking. He is just as likely to hit a teammate as take someone out on the other team.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:17 PM
Robert Theodorson

Steckel will now get to face Crosby 2 more times a year

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:22 PM
The Great Dame
DSevs

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
At 2.67 Clackson isn't a real good value for a team like the Devils and with 9 goals won't fetch much.
Clarkson can score more goals than that, but he has had a bad year. Last year in just 46 games he had 24 pts and the year before that he had 32.

The Great Dame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 08:07 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

No. Clarkson has replaced Pando as Lou's new favorite son. Plus, he like many anothers will get a mulligan for the first half of this season and will get next season to prove they belong.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 09:25 AM
apice3*

I don't understand how Steckel and Clarkson are related aside from possible linemates. They both play different positions and bring different things to the table. If Clarkson stays or is gone, it's for other reasons.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
This doesn't have any effect on Clarkson's status. If Clarkson is traded, it will be because his salary is too high, not because Steckel usurped his role.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 09:42 AM
tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
this is just a guess, but i think lou wanted arnott for the 2nd. mcphee insisted that nj take the contract. its believed that steckel was being traded and it fell through. that was what caused the infamous belanger thing. that indicates mcphee has been wanting to move that contract for a while.
If we're throwing guesses out there, after listening to Lou's conversation with media soon after it went down, it sounded like he wanted a roster player to continue the attempt at the playoffs and the pick was just to balance it out. I get the feeling he may have wanted a player like Laich, which would have yielded a lower pick to go with it, but Steckel made way more sense for the Caps given his performance the last couple years.

tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Sergei Berezin

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
That's unfair to say unless you commonly watch and follow the Devils.

Look at the Leafs and Colby Armstrong.

He's getting paid $3 million, yet only has 8 goals. Are Leaf fans complaining? No, he brings a lot of other things to the table that stats don't show, and I'd be willing to bet that Clarkson does the same.

Sergei Berezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 11:06 AM
Dogkota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Berezin View Post
That's unfair to say unless you commonly watch and follow the Devils.

Look at the Leafs and Colby Armstrong.

He's getting paid $3 million, yet only has 8 goals. Are Leaf fans complaining? No, he brings a lot of other things to the table that stats don't show, and I'd be willing to bet that Clarkson does the same.
Armstrong has 8g 13a 23pts in 43gp and is a -2 (0.49 points per game)
Clarkson has 9g 4a 13pts in 62gp and is a -22 (0.21 points per game)

Their value in terms of offensive production this season isn't even close and Colby has the better career highs. Right now Armstrong is a bargain compared to Clarkson.

Dogkota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 11:36 AM
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

Steckel was the Caps MVP up to this point.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 11:50 AM
NJD Kula
Wilkes-Barre Devils?

The Devils won't trade Clarky until his value increases and by that time his contract might look like a steal so I'm guessing he's a lifer.

NJD Kula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Dragon Priest
Elvenlegions

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevils3034 View Post

Yeah, by no means am I am Caps fan but he will hit Crosby when he is not looking.

Dragon Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:18 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Steckel and Clarkson are going to kill the East with their supreme skating ability and soft hands. Awesome sauce.

And he didn't hit Crosby and purpose.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote