HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who is the next (skater) superstar that will play for the Habs?

Old
03-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
It's HFBoards. There are bound to be dumb joke posts from time to time. If the entire board was 100% serious discussions, the place would be a pretty dreadful part of the Internet.

As a great man once said, "chill out"
Weird, I don't remember saying that.

Seriously though, going a little OT is fine, but this thread went off track very quickly. So let's atleast try to keep the discussions close to being on topic.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 10:36 AM
macavoy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
So let's atleast try to keep the discussions close to being on topic.
Some topics can't stay on topic because the off track is way more interesting than the original train of thought.

There can be no serious educated answer to the OP imo.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 10:36 AM
Jerky

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
Meh, I still think they should go for the best player avaiable. If they have the chance to land a big forward with talent, they should do it...it's not like our cupboards are overflowing with that type of player either. It would help the defence a lot of Emelin would come over...he would be another young piece to build around along with Subban and Weber.
We're not overflowing with superstar forwards, but we are overflowing with forwards that have the potential to play in the NHL

Leblanc, Kristo, Palushaj, Avtsin, Enqvist, Gallagher, Nattinen, Trotter, Bournival

on defense, we only have Tinordi, and to a certain extent Nash and Carle

goalies - only Ramo

Emelin is a longshot to ever come over. Same with Trunev. Maybe even Ramo

Jerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 10:41 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky View Post
We're not overflowing with superstar forwards, but we are overflowing with forwards that have the potential to play in the NHL

Leblanc, Kristo, Palushaj, Avtsin, Enqvist, Gallagher, Nattinen, Trotter, Bournival

on defense, we only have Tinordi, and to a certain extent Nash and Carle

goalies - only Ramo

Emelin is a longshot to ever come over. Same with Trunev. Maybe even Ramo
Ya I know, I just find it horrible to pass over a great forward prospect because we're thin on d-men...Especially if there's a big difference in talent. I agree that if there's 2 players available with the same talent, go for the need (defence).

FrankMTL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 10:45 AM
Jerky

I agree, but it's Timmins drafting. The only time he drafted the BAP was when he drafted Price. He usually drafts the position that we're lacking in.

Old
03-01-2011, 10:45 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky View Post
No chance at us drafting Mika Zibanejad. We'll draft a Defenseman for sure this year. With Subban and Weber both playing in the NHL and the uncertainty of Markov, our cupboards are bare beyond Tinordi. Expect half of our picks this year to be defensemen, especially our first rounder.
I think the Habs should wait for next year to draft a Dman, as the pool of 2012 looks to be epic.

And if Zibanejad is available, PICK HIM!!

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 10:53 AM
Teufelsdreck

Who knows? Maybe he hasn't even been conceived yet.

It's way premature to anoint PK Subban as a future superstar. He wasn't born in a manger.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Some topics can't stay on topic because the off track is way more interesting than the original train of thought.

There can be no serious educated answer to the OP imo.
Understandable, but there is going off topic and there is posting stupid unrelated comments that serve no purpose. Our servers are taking a beating enough as it is, without adding to it with ridiculous posts.

So no, I'm not expecting totally serious, educated answers. If I were, I wouldn't be reading stuff on a hockey board.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 10:57 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
I think the Habs should wait for next year to draft a Dman, as the pool of 2012 looks to be epic.

And if Zibanejad is available, PICK HIM!!
I agree with the first part. Next year is definitely the year to stock up 1st/2nd/3rd round picks with defensemen. It could be another Subban/Weber year for us.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 11:00 AM
TheBuriedHab

So far Subban is the only one out of our skaters that has a superstar quality. But saying he will become a "superstar" is stretching it. Unless we get a high pick I don't see one.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Aarex

My 14th month old son, I'ma pul a lindros's dad and refuse to let him be drafted by any other team.

Aarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 11:06 AM
Bieber fever

they are only 2 superstar in the league ( Crosby and Ovy ) , and one his cold and the other one might never play a single game in the NHL again.

I'm fine with Subban and Price.

Last edited by PyrettaBlaze: 03-01-2011 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Bypassing filter
Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 11:44 AM
Bloumeister
Live long & prosper

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyG View Post
Can someone fill me in on the Mika Zibanejad joke

Half Swedish, half Iranian.

Looks more promising than Dieudonné Tremblay.

(don't try to google that guy - I made him up )

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:35 PM
AJMHABS
#31 for Vezina

Leblanc and Avtsin have promise to become superstars IMO and could probably become elite scorers.

AJMHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:48 PM
KareyPrice

Me if the habs are willing to give me a shot at training camp just finished my season with 56 goals and 20 Assists

KareyPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:51 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Understandable, but there is going off topic and there is posting stupid unrelated comments that serve no purpose. Our servers are taking a beating enough as it is, without adding to it with ridiculous posts.

So no, I'm not expecting totally serious, educated answers. If I were, I wouldn't be reading stuff on a hockey board.
I was trying to be subtle in saying that this thread is completely useless and would serve HF better by locking it. So much for subtlety.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:09 PM
BigHabs

We have decent players that have the talent to become something big:

Price - is looking amazing day by day
Subban - The guy is rounding out his game becoming better each day
Leblanc - looks decent in the QMJHL, looks like he could be a really good player to have.
Tinordi - Well his size and everything says it all. He won't score you goals, but will fight and hit when needed.

The problem with Montreal in not having allstar players (excluding Price and Subban), is because of the fan base(some) IMO.

They won't for a second consider a rebuild or miss out on the playoffs, if we miss the playoffs the fan base wants the GM's head. We had did a complete overhaul (not rebuild) on our team from last season. We look like we will awhile be a tweener in the standings.

If you want to have the Crosby's, Stamkos's, Tavares's, Ovechkin's, Hall's. Your going to have to bomb. The fan base(some) won't accept that, so our management have to find "diamond's in the rough" and try to keep a team strong with players that develope into good players, not necessarily good right out of juniors.

Honestly, the last little while, I have been watching the Penguins. They have been staying afloat. You get their fan base who say their team is amazing. They won't admit that they had to bomb for half a decade to be where they are now. My point for them is, the last little while, without Crosby, Malkin they have looked alot like an average team to me. They have their struggles and trying to keep pace in the standings. Fleury has looked average at best IMO. This is with Letang, Staal, Kovalev, Neal, Letestu all in the lineup as well. They look like the teams competing for 6th - 10th right now, not a premier team in the league. So it shows that if you bomb and get amazing picks with 1st overall picks, you can build a contender. We have done so by picking Diamond's in the rough players and still compete. We have a hard working team now, they might not be all allstars but they get the job done.

BigHabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:30 PM
ruski17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Hotel View Post
We have decent players that have the talent to become something big:

Price - is looking amazing day by day
Subban - The guy is rounding out his game becoming better each day
Leblanc - looks decent in the QMJHL, looks like he could be a really good player to have.
Tinordi - Well his size and everything says it all. He won't score you goals, but will fight and hit when needed.

The problem with Montreal in not having allstar players (excluding Price and Subban), is because of the fan base(some) IMO.

They won't for a second consider a rebuild or miss out on the playoffs, if we miss the playoffs the fan base wants the GM's head. We had did a complete overhaul (not rebuild) on our team from last season. We look like we will awhile be a tweener in the standings.

If you want to have the Crosby's, Stamkos's, Tavares's, Ovechkin's, Hall's. Your going to have to bomb. The fan base(some) won't accept that, so our management have to find "diamond's in the rough" and try to keep a team strong with players that develope into good players, not necessarily good right out of juniors.

Honestly, the last little while, I have been watching the Penguins. They have been staying afloat. You get their fan base who say their team is amazing. They won't admit that they had to bomb for half a decade to be where they are now. My point for them is, the last little while, without Crosby, Malkin they have looked alot like an average team to me. They have their struggles and trying to keep pace in the standings. Fleury has looked average at best IMO. This is with Letang, Staal, Kovalev, Neal, Letestu all in the lineup as well. They look like the teams competing for 6th - 10th right now, not a premier team in the league. So it shows that if you bomb and get amazing picks with 1st overall picks, you can build a contender. We have done so by picking Diamond's in the rough players and still compete. We have a hard working team now, they might not be all allstars but they get the job done.
A++++

We don't need a superstar, those teams can be beat easily, cover the superstar tightly and presto! Not that dangerous anymore! (See Canadiens vs Capitals and Canadiens vs Penguins 2010 playoffs)

Look at the top teams, they do have they top players, not necessarily superstars although almost, they have insane depth! That's what we need. If I had a choice between 3 50 goal scorers and a lineup of AHL guys or 6 20 goal scorers and 6 5-15 goal scorers, I'd take the latter.

ruski17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbanation View Post
My 14th month old son, I'ma pul a lindros's dad and refuse to let him be drafted by any other team.
LOL me and my wifey thought about the same thing... then we were thinking... How about we let my twins play awesome (because it would be hard to get both of them on the habs in the same draft year) then fake an injury, plummet a bit, and make themselves available for later rounds, only to send the then GM a video tape explaining it all lol, and their skillset

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:41 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
if teams were drafting BPA, Zibanejad would go 1st overall.

Just sayin.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:47 PM
Next Best Thing*

Subban will be our next superstar.

I see him as the only one with the potential currently.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Jerky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 View Post
LOL me and my wifey thought about the same thing... then we were thinking... How about we let my twins play awesome (because it would be hard to get both of them on the habs in the same draft year) then fake an injury, plummet a bit, and make themselves available for later rounds, only to send the then GM a video tape explaining it all lol, and their skillset

why not just forgo the draft all-together and just sign with the Habs??

That's what Crosby should have done. Who cares if you go 1st overall in the draft? I'd rather play for my favorite team.

Old
03-01-2011, 03:55 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

i've asked before, but why the heck was subban ever groomed to be a defenceman and not a forward? of course you don't go changing that at the NHL level, but back in the day...what made him want to play D, and who are the people who thought he'd be better on D than F? i think he could excel at any position, but if you look at his skillset, there is virtually nothing that spells defenceman, and everything that spells high energy forward. the guy skates and dekes too well to be stuck back there imo. who are these D that go end-to-end at will and cut through zones like a hot knife in butter...

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:58 PM
NewHabsEra*

If Subban was actually racking up more pts on the PP he would be considered a star already.. The kid plays with the poise of a vet, he does an amazing job on the PK clearing the puck out of the zone and winning his 1 on 1 battles easily and he is by far the best puckmover on our team... Since about 2 months he is rock solid, making basically no mistakes while making alot of solid plays that look easy to do (thx to his top level skills)

Price and Subban to answer..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 04:06 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

i love it when he trolls guys who are tailing him and does those super sharp reverse turns while holding a finger on the ice, speed skater style. zooooooom and he's off. and often quick enough to repair an error he does make, plus the teams knows when he does his one allowed rush per game, to cover the potential odd-man rush.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote