HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How does Penner trade change our roster next year?

Old
02-28-2011, 09:08 PM
Cawz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
It wouldn't really surprise me if we looked to trade the LAK 1st we just grabbed and to be honest I think it'd be wise depending on what we could land in exchange.
Absolutely. At this point, that pick is better used as a bargaining chip to help fill a hole.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 09:08 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
The only question is, how much do the Oilers have to dangle in front of him to get him here?
My guess is $4 mill/4-5 years. I like Laich, but if Couturier is our pick, I think we'd be better off going in a different direction (Reasoner?) on a shorter term deal. We have Pitlick and Martindale coming on up at some point and may even take McNeil on top of SC or RNH depending on how Stu feels about him.

We're already paying Horcoff $5.5 million.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 09:11 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
The only question is, how much do the Oilers have to dangle in front of him to get him here?
Good question. I guess it all depends what type of team he wants to play on next year. This team could use his enthusiasm. There might an angle being that he is a good ol' Sasky boy. It'd be nice for him to be part of something special so close to home. Just a thought. If chasing the Cup next season is his priority we have no chance. If he's willing to wait a couple seasons and help characterize our youthful progression there's a chance. If the Caps win the Cup I can imagine it would be more likely. Not that they will but just a thought.

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 09:13 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
I think he gets the same money as Penner - and I am perfectly fine with that. 4.25 per for a guy who puts up 20-25 goals and 55ish pts who is more physical than Penner and has a more well-rounded game would be fair value IMO. He's the best PKing forward on a team that is top 5 in the league in that category. As a Saskatchewan boy he probably doesn't view Edmonton as all that undesirable geographically... we just have to convince him this thing is close to being turned around.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 09:15 PM
Jmask83

I'm guessing next year we won't have any rookies other then the our own 1st rounder.

I can't think of anyone else that is on the cusp of being an NHLer. There are some guys that might get called up next year but I don't think they will be on the opening day roster. Guys Harti, Lander ect. Although they might give Omarra the 4th line center role.

Jmask83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 09:15 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
My guess is $4 mill/4-5 years. I like Laich, but if Couturier is our pick, I think we'd be better off going in a different direction (Reasoner?) on a shorter term deal. We have Pitlick and Martindale coming on up at some point and may even take McNeil on top of SC or RNH depending on how Stu feels about him.

We're already paying Horcoff $5.5 million.
I like Reasoner but recycling him (for lack of a better word) for the third time seems... I dunno... like something the Flames would do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod
Good question. I guess it all depends what type of team he wants to play on next year. This team could use his enthusiasm. There might an angle being that he is a good ol' Sasky boy. It'd be nice for him to be part of something special so close to home. Just a thought. If chasing the Cup next season is his priority we have no chance. If he's willing to wait a couple seasons and help characterize our youthful progression there's a chance. If the Caps win the Cup I can imagine it would be more likely. Not that they will but just a thought.
My kingdom for a decent, effective UFA signing and if not, hopefully the Oilers can strategically attack a team with cap troubles.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 09:20 PM
Jmask83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
I think he gets the same money as Penner - and I am perfectly fine with that. 4.25 per for a guy who puts up 20-25 goals and 55ish pts who is more physical than Penner and has a more well-rounded game would be fair value IMO. He's the best PKing forward on a team that is top 5 in the league in that category. As a Saskatchewan boy he probably doesn't view Edmonton as all that undesirable geographically... we just have to convince him this thing is close to being turned around.
If you offer Laich 4.25 he'd come here in a heart beat. I'd be shocked if he turned it down. I think its a bit much.

But when you look at why this team is 30th Special teams is the first thing that jumps out. If I remember correctly the powerplay wasn't awful with Whitney, add Larsson and it gets that much better, plus you have a more battle tested Petry on there as well and its sure improve.

The Pk is one area where I don't know if we can improve it much from within. Although to be fair it has been decent in that past 20 games or so.

If we can get the PK to 20th and the PP to 20th I say we move up from 30th to 25th. That's not too much of stretch.

Old
02-28-2011, 09:26 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Offering Laich Penner's departed salary is something that I'd be doing right away on July 1st. I've got no problem with Tambellini overpaying a guy like that.

Old
02-28-2011, 09:28 PM
hockeyaddict101

I really don't have a problem with the return itself.

It is not a deep draft but the top 40 is still strong.

As for Teubert he is not a bust because he is adjusting to his first year of pro hockey and fell down in the depth chart on a LA team that has a deep roster of defensive prospects. He is a Matt Greene type player and we certainly have not filled that gap since he was traded. We do need more of that type of player in the system.

On the other side of the equation is the sense that the Oilers are making many moves in preparation for being a contender in 3 to 5 years, but that isn't going to magically happen without the Oilers starting to fill gaping holes in the team.

They have done a great job of building the suburbs, but starting in this off-season the team has to start making some moves to make sure this team is not in perpetual rebuild mode.

The team needs to take start taking the eventual steps of learning how to win.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 09:33 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
It immediately makes us a lock for another lottery pick next season ...
without question we'll be a lottery team next year... not a doubt in my mind... to be honest, i thought we were going to have trouble finishing above 20th overall if we kept both penner and hemsky... i could see us finishing last again next year, as we simply don't have anybody to replace penner's 25-30 goals next year AND we'll be even *easier* to play against (although i would have thought that an impossibility, lol)

yeah, one more year in the cellar for sure... who are the potential #1 overalls next year?

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 09:38 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
without question we'll be a lottery team next year... not a doubt in my mind... to be honest, i thought we were going to have trouble finishing above 20th overall if we kept both penner and hemsky... i could see us finishing last again next year, as we simply don't have anybody to replace penner's 25-30 goals next year AND we'll be even *easier* to play against (although i would have thought that an impossibility, lol)

yeah, one more year in the cellar for sure... who are the potential #1 overalls next year?
You're assuming that a cap basement team (as the Oilers are now) will be totally inactive this summer.

Old
02-28-2011, 09:40 PM
Jmask83

Quote:
Offering Laich Penner's departed salary is something that I'd be doing right away on July 1st. I've got no problem with Tambellini overpaying a guy like that.
He's pretty much exactly the type of player the Oilers need. 51% on face offs is another good stat.

If you have Laich and Horc as your top 2 centers that perfect for the wingers we have. When you have two defensive minded guys like that playing in your top 2 the wingers can have more leeway to do what they want offensively.

Old
02-28-2011, 09:43 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmask83
He's pretty much exactly the type of player the Oilers need. 51% on face offs is another good stat.

If you have Laich and Horc as your top 2 centers that perfect for the wingers we have. When you have two defensive minded guys like that playing in your top 2 the wingers can have more leeway to do what they want offensively.
Yeah, but the bottom six are still junky save for two players.

Old
02-28-2011, 09:44 PM
Cawz

Quote:
You're assuming that a cap basement team (as the Oilers are now) will be totally inactive this summer.
The last few summer activities dont really instill confidence though.

Hopefully...

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 09:46 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
yes, yes i am... what in the past few years would indicate that we will be successful in attracting UFAs this upcoming summer? i fully expect to fail miserably on july 1st

Old
02-28-2011, 09:50 PM
Jmask83

Quote:
yes, yes i am... what in the past few years would indicate that we will be successful in attracting UFAs this upcoming summer? i fully expect to fail miserably on july 1st
Me 2. But I think Penner's production will get replaced by Hall, Eberle and Paajarvi. I hope they improve from this year. IF there are sophomore slumps though it will be the basement again for sure.

Old
02-28-2011, 09:50 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
Quote:
We have tons of cap space this year, and should be able to overpay players for the next two years.

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 09:53 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmask83 View Post

I see Horcoff as a third line centre if we sign Laich. Obviously if we do sign Laich and we draft Couturier what happens with Gagner?

Mr Forever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 09:55 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paajallberle View Post
We have tons of cap space this year, and should be able to overpay players for the next two years.
yeah, we can afford to overpay players for two years, but not longer (as the kids will need raises after that)... the problem is that UFAs tend to like longer term deals and they are already next to impossible to sign for the oilers.... i don't like their chances of grabbing quality veterans on 2 year deals... *nothing* in the oilers recent history suggests that we would be successful in accomplishing this

Old
02-28-2011, 09:55 PM
Jmask83

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
I see Horcoff as a third line centre if we sign Laich. Obviously if we do sign Laich and we draft Couturier what happens with Gagner?
hmmm... I wonder if 31st overall +LA's pick +Gagner would get us another crack at the top 5. If we could get both Couturier and Larsson or even Landeskog I'd think the rebuild can be considered done. Just time to develop them now.

Old
02-28-2011, 09:57 PM
Mr Forever

Quote:
yeah, we can afford to overpay players for two years, but not longer (as the kids will need raises after that)... the problem is that UFAs tend to like longer term deals and they are already next to impossible to sign for the oilers.... i don't like their chances of grabbing quality veterans on 2 year deals... *nothing* in the oilers recent history suggests that we would be successful in accomplishing this
I'd rather overpay on Weber, Bogosian or Doughty, nothing above 7.5 mil for Weber/Doughty, it'll result in us giving up 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Old
02-28-2011, 09:57 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
If that fails then they have to target a team in cap trouble. They can't sit on their hands this summer. Can't.

Old
02-28-2011, 09:59 PM
Mr Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmask83 View Post
hmmm... I wonder if 31st overall +LA's pick +Gagner would get us another crack at the top 5. If we could get both Couturier and Larsson or even Landeskog I'd think the rebuild can be considered done. Just time to develop them now.
I bet Hemsky + Gagner + 2nd will snag us something heft from Ottawa around their pick.

Hemsky
Gagner
2nd

for

Ottawa 1st
and some other stuff?

Old
02-28-2011, 10:01 PM
Jmask83

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
I'd rather overpay on Weber, Bogosian or Doughty, nothing above 7.5 mil for Weber/Doughty, it'll result in us giving up 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks.
Ok just for the record I honestly believe that Doughty will retire a LA king. He loves it there and they love him there. Nothing would entice LA to move him.

Bogosian is another matter. There are rumors he's fed up with that team.

Webber is Nashville's franchise player. They will get something done in terms of an extension.

I think we need to be realistic. For us its the draft for big name players, and the supporting cast can be had in the UFA or trades.

Old
02-28-2011, 10:03 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:

We'll see.

Let's be honest, Tambo without trying totally wanted to tank this year.

That much was clear as day.

If you improve both special teams, namely make the PP and PK better than 25th in the league, ie get a PP consultant and get defensive players, and then add in 2 top-4 D-man, I don't see why we can't pick outside the top-5.

And I know we haven't been a hotspot for FA, but your telling me getting a Sean Bergenheim and a Pat Dwyer, both of whom can play between 1:30-2:00 mins/game on the PK and are good defensively, are impossible to get? Even if we pay them both of them around a 200% increase in salary(which would be $1.4 and $1.0 per year for both).

And trying to add a Steve Montador type would also help the defense a long way.

Basically what I'm trying to say is, if Tambo legitimately wants to improve the roster, not **** around by getting the fraser's of the world, but legitimately wants to get good players who can help on special teams, there is a chance we don't pick top-5 next season.

At some point this management has to show some semblance of trying to win instead of just tank. There should be no reason we should have the leagues worst special teams 3 years running.