HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How does Penner trade change our roster next year?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-28-2011, 10:06 PM
  #76
Kyle McMahon
Registered User
 
Kyle McMahon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Evil Empire
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmask83 View Post
I think forwards can get straightened out. There are plenty of things we can do there. We can even move Hall to center again, it wasn't horrible last time and at time pretty good.

Maybe

Omark-Hall-Hemsky
PRV-Gags-Eberle
Cogs-Horc-Brule
4th line (I don't care who plays here)

Then on D we go

Whitney-Gilbert
Larsson-Petry
Smid-Pekham

Can that finish in the bottom 5 again?? Given that everybody improves from last year mainly the rookies and Gagner.
Yes, because that team would be run out of the rink even worse than this year's team. This team needs a Milan Lucic in the top six. It's an absolute must.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
If that fails then they have to target a team in cap trouble. They can't sit on their hands this summer. Can't.


There are plenty of them out there. At this point we can afford to give up some draft picks to poach a high caliber player. The RFA market is fairly thin this summer, so this may be a necessary option.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:09 PM
  #77
Rafters
Registered User
 
Rafters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Medicine Hat
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Yes, because that team would be run out of the rink even worse than this year's team. This team needs a Milan Lucic in the top six. It's an absolute must.
or Ryan Clowe ...he would fit perfectly once the sharks lose in the first rd and start trading

Steckell would of been a nice pick up as well

Rafters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:14 PM
  #78
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,148
vCash: 500
Hemsky
Gagner
LA's 1st

to Ottawa

Ottawa's first
Jared Cowan


?

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:17 PM
  #79
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
Hemsky
Gagner
LA's 1st

to Ottawa

Ottawa's first
Jared Cowan


?
More proven NHLers out the door?

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:23 PM
  #80
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
More proven NHLers out the door?
You seriously wouldn't do this? 96% of you guys still say Gagner is **** and is unproven etc

Then we end up with Larsson, Coutirier and Cowen?!

Hall-Couturier-Eberle
Paajarvi-Horcoff-Omark
Brule-Cogliano-Jones
Reddox-O'Marra-Haartinkannen

Larsson-Whitney
Gilbert-Cowen
Smid-Petry
Peckham

!!!

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:25 PM
  #81
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
You seriously wouldn't do this? 96% of you guys still say Gagner is **** and is unproven etc

Then we end up with Larsson, Coutirier and Cowen?!

Hall-Couturier-Eberle
Paajarvi-Horcoff-Omark
Brule-Cogliano-Jones
Reddox-O'Marra-Haartinkannen

Larsson-Whitney
Gilbert-Cowen
Smid-Petry
Peckham

!!!
I'm in the 4 percent that likes Gagner.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:27 PM
  #82
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I'm in the 4 percent that likes Gagner.
So am I, honestly.

But if it gets this deal done, where we end up with Larsson and Couturier, can you say no?

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:30 PM
  #83
Hugo Stiglitz
5-14-6-1
 
Hugo Stiglitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,211
vCash: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
So am I, honestly.

But if it gets this deal done, where we end up with Larsson and Couturier, can you say no?
This is obvious, but:
Couturier > Gagner
Larsson> Not having Larsson

So I couldn't say no to this.

Hugo Stiglitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:31 PM
  #84
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,071
vCash: 500
I'll hold out on Couturier > Gagner until I see him play at this level. I don't care if he's "bigger".

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:35 PM
  #85
Oilbleeder
Moderator
RattsSSV on the avy
 
Oilbleeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,670
vCash: 50
Quick question.

Did Tambo specifically mention keeping Hemsky here for the long term or that we wanted to keep him here through the rebuild in the presser today?

__________________
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/nemesis15/QuadSig-OB.gif <-- Credit goes to The Nemesis.
Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:35 PM
  #86
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,148
vCash: 500
Then there's always my favourite,

Hemsky
Omark
LA's first
Edmonton's second

For

NYI's 1st (probably 4th overall)
Nino

Mmmmmm


Hall-Couturier-Eberle
Paajarvi-Gagner-Nino

etc

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:36 PM
  #87
tv14
Registered User
 
tv14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,218
vCash: 500
I would not do anything durastic this summer, just a couple solid moves. Nothing huge. If Laich would cost 4 mill+, Im out. Look for Upshall should be cheaper than that.

Sign Upshall 2 years 3.2 mill per
Sign Scott Nichol 1 year 0.9 mill
Sign Jan Hejda 2 years 2.75 mill per
Trade Cogliano/Brule + CGY 3rd for David Clarkson

Roll:

Upshall-Horcoff-Hemsky
Hall-Cogs/Brule-Eberle
Paajarvi-Gagner-Omark
Jones-Nichol-Clarkson

Whitney-Gilbert
Smid-Petry
Peckham-Hejda

I do not think that is a lottery team, however the chances of this happening are likely slim to none.

tv14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:48 PM
  #88
WaitingForUser
Registered User
 
WaitingForUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
Well

Hall---Horcoff---Hemsky
MPS---Gagner---Omark
Cogliano--Brule---Eberle(too small I know)
Smack--****--Jones


but

I suspect either Cogs or Brule will be traded

Omark gains the most from the trade
Now hall goes back to Center

Eberle Hall Hemsky
MPS Gagner Omark
Cogs Horc Jones (speed Faceoffs Grit )

WaitingForUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:57 PM
  #89
Jmask83
Registered User
 
Jmask83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Yes, because that team would be run out of the rink even worse than this year's team. This team needs a Milan Lucic in the top six. It's an absolute must.





There are plenty of them out there. At this point we can afford to give up some draft picks to poach a high caliber player. The RFA market is fairly thin this summer, so this may be a necessary option.
How many games have we lost where the number 1 reason was we were too small?? If our D-men made better decisions with the puck, and our goaltenders didn't allow softies would we really be in last with this team.

Some teams win with hitting, other teams win with speed. I think its pretty obvious what way this team is built for.

Jmask83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:00 PM
  #90
rigger
Registered User
 
rigger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Jessica Alba's Dream
Country: Kyrgyzstan
Posts: 8,950
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
Hemsky
Gagner
LA's 1st

to Ottawa

Ottawa's first
Jared Cowan
People here are getting to horny for prospects. If Hemsky is being packaged with Gagner and LA's 1st, I want Malkin or Carter or Richards. I want a proven #1 centre. Everyone thinks these guys are so good, or players like Nash or Parise, but these guys have one or two years where they have out performed Hemsky while being on better clubs with better linemates (save for Nash) and Hemsky makes 2-3 million a year less.

Pittsburgh is tight up against the cap and has a better centre in Crosby and a cheaper effective 2nd line c in Staal, they have 1 good winger in Neil and a good defensive winger. This team needs what Edm has and Edm needs what they have.

Hemsky + LA's first + Hamilton/Pitlick/etc as a starting point. It makes both teams better for longer term.

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:05 PM
  #91
thadd
Oil4Life
 
thadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,313
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanzie888 View Post
You can't call next year a lottery year until you see what they do in the off season. Lots of changes ahead.
For sure. There are a bunch of quality d-men available and we've got the needed cap space to go out and sign a #2 and #3 d-man. With a healthy Whitney, it's unlikely that we'd recognize our team.

The big question is whether or not our group of youngsters is attractive enough to give free agents enough incentive to move way up north.

thadd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:06 PM
  #92
rigger
Registered User
 
rigger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Jessica Alba's Dream
Country: Kyrgyzstan
Posts: 8,950
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmask83 View Post
How many games have we lost where the number 1 reason was we were too small?? If our D-men made better decisions with the puck, if our forwards didn't lose so many battles, if our forwards won a few more draws, and our goaltenders didn't allow softies would we really be in last with this team.

Some teams win with hitting, other teams win with speed. I think its pretty obvious what way this team is built for.
I added a bit for you.

Fact is, we played boston and lost by one goal last night. Not because we our goaltending sucked or our defense sucked, but because we could only muster up 17 shots from the outside because they boxed us out and didn't let the forwards get in close very often.

I think our size woes will be gone soon because Hall and PRV will be over 210 pounds and if we can add a centre 6' or more that clocks in at 200+.

Gagner is the Visnovsky of dmen, talented, tries hard, works his tail off, good vision, skillset, ethic but if he was 2" taller and 20 pounds heavier he'd be elite.

Couturier has 5" on Gagner, as good wheels, better 2-way game and potentially as good or better offensive skills. Furthermore, if he doesn't have as high level of skills, he will be able to use his lesser skills more effectively because of that size. And Im a huge Gagner fan.

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:15 PM
  #93
ToeDrag83
5-14-6-1
 
ToeDrag83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oil Country
Posts: 1,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Quick question.

Did Tambo specifically mention keeping Hemsky here for the long term or that we wanted to keep him here through the rebuild in the presser today?
No, not specifically. He mentioned Hemsky was there best player, and he was never really on the table, he was only in play because Tambellini was listening to offers. Personally I'm relieved he's still here and just the way Mr. GM was raving about him, I'd be surprised if there wasn't a contract extension by trade deadline 2012.

ToeDrag83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:20 PM
  #94
Njoy Oilers
Registered User
 
Njoy Oilers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southern Alberta.
Posts: 3,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeDrag83 View Post
No, not specifically. He mentioned Hemsky was there best player, and he was never really on the table, he was only in play because Tambellini was listening to offers. Personally I'm relieved he's still here and just the way Mr. GM was raving about him, I'd be surprised if there wasn't a contract extension by trade deadline 2012.
I hope that Hemsky is here going forward and some of our prospects buy into getting better. This org has a great pool of good young prospects and a few more to come. AVS & blues prospects jumped to he pump fairly quickly. Would be nice to see the same here.

Njoy Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:27 PM
  #95
CantHaveTkachev
"McDavid show"Oct/15
 
CantHaveTkachev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: 5-14-6-1
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,950
vCash: 785
glaring holes:
#1 center
top pairing d-man
grit in the bottom 6 that can play in the NHL

I believe the #1 center or d-man problem will be solved at the draft...as for the bottom 6? this team need to find some grit either through FA or trades....ACTUAL NHL players...not potential!

Hall-Couturier/RNH-Eberle
MPS-Horcoff-Hemsky

that a solid top 6...young but getting better

with Larsson:

Whitney-Gilbert
Peckham-Larsson
Petry-Smid

half-decent defense but once again YOUNG...gonna need time for them to develop, or bring in someone to bridge the gap

bottom 6 needs less smurfs...one of Cogs/Gagner gone....JFJ and Foster gotta go..Brule doesn't do it for me but maybe give him a chance since he's been injured all year
do something with Omark....maybe trade him I dunno
if Lander makes this team, start him slow....as a 4th line center, see how it goes..other than that, get tougher and bring in some NHLers who can play at this level

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:36 PM
  #96
thadd
Oil4Life
 
thadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,313
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
Hemsky
Gagner
LA's 1st

to Ottawa

Ottawa's first
Jared Cowan


?
Don't know what the Sen fans would think of this deal, but there's no way Edmonton could turn it down.

Larsson + Cowan + 2nd/3rd overall? My Aussie and American friends would end up blacklisting me from parties for talking about hockey so much.

thadd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:38 PM
  #97
thadd
Oil4Life
 
thadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,313
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I'm in the 4 percent that likes Gagner.
But the big question is do you like him enough to turn a deal like this down?

thadd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:40 PM
  #98
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,071
vCash: 500
Yes. From an experience perspective the Oilers' talent pool is getting shallow.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:46 PM
  #99
Jet
Moderator
Big Ben
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,282
vCash: 50
I found it very disheartening that we traded Penner because I think we needed to actually compete for something next season and I feel though we got good value for Dustin that deal really hurts those chances.

I just hope to hell the Coyotes or Thrashers move to Winnipeg so I have something to tide me over till the Oilers finish this stockpiling.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:50 PM
  #100
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,148
vCash: 500
@ Thadd

I'm guessing Ottawa fans would say no, just because of how good it seems for us. How far would you be willing to go, in terms of adding, to make it happen?

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.