HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010/11 - Post-TDL/Playoff Line Combos

Old
02-28-2011, 08:56 PM
Kmode

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tact View Post
Demitra - Wellwood - Bernier
Glass - Johnson - Hansen
*Hordichuk, Rypien

vs.

Torres - Malholtra - Hansen
Higgins - Lapierre - Glass
*Tambellini

Has our bottom six improved?
IMMENSELY!!

It's actually hard to believe that that was our bottom 6 last year.

Kmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 09:31 PM
Momesso

Playoffs:

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Raymond Kesler Samuelsson
Higgins Malhotra Hansen
Torres Lapierre Glass

Hodgson/ Tambellini / Oreskovich

Edler Ehrhoff
Hamhuis Bieksa
Ballard Salo

Alberts/Rome/Tanev

Momesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 09:44 PM
Reign Nateo

We now have a lot of versatility, but I have a feeling Kesler is going to mesh with Higgins. Couple of Yanks, Higgins plays well with good players, he's a pretty good hockey player himself these days. Was playing top forward minutes in Florida, and producing at a pretty good rate considering he bounced around the line-up a lot early. He's not going to blow anyone away, but he knows where to go on the ice.

Raymond has not slacked off when he is dropped a line, in fact it seems to spark him a bit. Seems like he needs to be challenged a lot at this stage of his career. This trade was made to get more out of that spot, whoever earns it.

However Vigneault lines them up, this is the deepest Canucks team I've ever seen. Provided they can get and stay reasonably healthy.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:47 PM
lush
@jasonlush

Sedin/Sedin/Burrows
Raymond/Kesler/Samuelsson
Higgins/Malhotra/Hansen
Torres/Lapierre /Glass
Tambellini
Hodgson

Hamhuis/Bieksa
Edler/Ehrhoff
Salo/Ballard
Alberts/Rome

Luongo
Schneider

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:48 PM
lush
@jasonlush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
We now have a lot of versatility, but I have a feeling Kesler is going to mesh with Higgins. Couple of Yanks, Higgins plays well with good players, he's a pretty good hockey player himself these days. Was playing top forward minutes in Florida, and producing at a pretty good rate considering he bounced around the line-up a lot early. He's not going to blow anyone away, but he knows where to go on the ice.

Raymond has not slacked off when he is dropped a line, in fact it seems to spark him a bit. Seems like he needs to be challenged a lot at this stage of his career. This trade was made to get more out of that spot, whoever earns it.

However Vigneault lines them up, this is the deepest Canucks team I've ever seen. Provided they can get and stay reasonably healthy.
It is a good point, Raymond played just fine on our third line last year when Demitra joined the team

Old
02-28-2011, 10:52 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by medhatcanuck View Post
Anyone know if Lapierre and Higgins are any good on the PK?

PK forwards:
1st Unit: Malholtra - Hansen
2nd Unit: Lapierre - Raymond
3rd Unit: Kesler - Burrows (3rd unit, as to not overplay these 2)

I think the best way to make these guys feel part of the team is throwing them into the PK immediately.
Higgins is a pretty solid two-way forward and was a key PK'er on the 2nd best PK in the NHL with Florida so I'd say swap Raymond with Higgins.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:05 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

Lapierre used to pk for the Habs but then didn't in the regular season last year; and didn't at all in the playoffs. So I would say no to Lapierre on the PK.

As far as the lines go, AV has a lot more options now.

* In the 1st instance, he won't be afraid to send the 4th line out in a tight game where we have the lead;

* moreover, he won't be afraid to demote anyone who's having an off night.

* we can get scoring contribution from all 4 lines.

* we're covered in case of injury.

* this is a playoff ready forward corps - a lot more sandpaper than last year.

I personally think Raymond is the most likely to get demoted to the 4th line, with Hansen moving up (because of his forechecking and passing ability) to the 2nd and Higgins to the 3rd, or vice-versa.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:10 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Ya, glancing at recent stats it looks like Higgins should be a lot more valuable on the PK; Lapierre has played there in the past though, and some fans seems to think he's a pretty good shot-blocker. Probably better then Glass.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:21 PM
lush
@jasonlush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post

It is a good point, Raymond played just fine on our third line last year when Demitra joined the team

Old
02-28-2011, 11:31 PM
Moore Money

If Burrows and Raymond continue to struggle scoring I would like to see this for the playoffs. Any way you configure this lineup it looks pretty darn good.

I think Raymond would be great on the 3rd line because he's so good at carrying the puck.

Sedin - Sedin - Samuelsson
Burrows - Kesler - Higgins
Raymond - Malholtra - Hansen
Torres - Laprierre - Glass

Edler - Ehrhoff
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Salo - Ballard

Moore Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:04 AM
jammyrft

Am I the only one who would like to see oreskovich over Hansen? We need that big body presence. I have the bottom 6 like this

Higgins - Malholtra - Torres
Glass - Lapierre - Oreskovich

Higgins slots in the 3rd because let's face it he's more of a gifted player than Hansen, plus he's bigger and will probably put up some points beside manny and raffi. Lappy centers the 4th freeing while having energy guys on his wings. Not to say that Hansen isnt an energy guy but I would rather have glass and Oreo hitting guys for 10 minutes a game then Hansen, he kind of loses out by default just like hodgson, tambo, parent, Schneids

Depth is a good thing

jammyrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:06 AM
alternate

as long as the line combos don't include Glass on the second, I'm good. so many options, all bringing slightly different looks. I'm giddy.

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:16 AM
Christina Woloski
Registered Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Hansen should definitely not be demoted to the fourth line.
That's my thoughts as well, but I swear AV doesn't dig Hansen.

Christina Woloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:42 AM
droller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmode View Post
Do you guys really think a guy like Higgins can be the answer to our 2nd line LW? I don't like it. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see him being a prolific offensive guy ever again.
I agree that it's marginal to think Higgins is the answer. To me he just seems like a guy that has the ability to come into a good situation and perform with a good team. If he can goto the net more than Raymond, there is no reason to think he can't work with Kesler. Well see though.

droller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:32 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammyrft View Post
Am I the only one who would like to see oreskovich over Hansen? We need that big body presence. I have the bottom 6 like this
I would think so.

Hansen has been a valuable part of this lineup this season. There's no way he's being taken out. Guys like Torres and Glass are closer to being a healthy scratch than Hansen would this season.

I don't see the Malhotra-Hansen combo for the 3rd line being broken up... I think you'll see a revolving door of LW's on their unit depending on who's playing better at the time, with Torres, Higgins and Raymond all seeing time there.

come playoff time, I think we could see the following lineup (assuming everyone's healthy):

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Kesler-Samuelsson
Raymond-Malhotra-Hansen
Torres-Lapierre-Glass

Edler-Ehrhoff
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Ballard-Salo

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 04:05 AM
timorousme
luongod

Quote:
Originally Posted by lush View Post
woah glitch in the matrix

timorousme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 05:36 AM
Christina Woloski
Registered Something

After lookin' around and seein' other's line ups etc I think the best case scenario is three scoring lines:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Kesler-Samuelsson
Raymond-Malhotra-Hansen
Torres-Lapierre-Glass

Edler-Ehrhoff
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Ballard-Salo

But if Higgins can't score worst case, is two scoring lines, two more defensive lines IMO:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Kesler - Samuelsson
Higgins/Torres - Malhotra - Hansen
Torres/Higgins - Lapierre - Glass

Edler -Ehrhoff
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Ballard - Salo

Forward extras: Tambellini / Oreskovich / Hodgson

Defense-man extra: Alberts / Rome / Tanev

OT (not serious consideration) But if you wanted to go with four "balanced" lines:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Hansen - Kesler - Samuelsson
Torres - Malhotra - Raymond
Higgins - Hodgson - Tambellini

Christina Woloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 06:38 AM
John Belushi

For round 1:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Torres-Kesler-Samuelsson
Higgins-Malhotra-Hansen
Raymond-Lapierre-Glass

Bolduc/Oreskovich

Edler-Ehrhoff
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Ballard-Salo

Alberts, Rome

PK pairs:

Malhotra-Hansen
Kesler-Burrows
Lapierre-Higgins
Glass-Raymond

John Belushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 07:50 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
Lapierre used to pk for the Habs but then didn't in the regular season last year; and didn't at all in the playoffs. So I would say no to Lapierre on the PK.

As far as the lines go, AV has a lot more options now.

* In the 1st instance, he won't be afraid to send the 4th line out in a tight game where we have the lead;

* moreover, he won't be afraid to demote anyone who's having an off night.

* we can get scoring contribution from all 4 lines.

* we're covered in case of injury.

* this is a playoff ready forward corps - a lot more sandpaper than last year.

I personally think Raymond is the most likely to get demoted to the 4th line, with Hansen moving up (because of his forechecking and passing ability) to the 2nd and Higgins to the 3rd, or vice-versa.
I agree with everything expect the sandpaper thing. Saying that it is a lot more sandpaper is a stretch. We have lost Rypien and Hordichuck and they brought some sandpaper in their toolbox; to bad that there wasn't any hammers, screwdrivers, etc in that toolbox.

I would say that we still got sandpaper but with - quoting you - "we can get scoring contribution from all 4 lines. we're covered in case of injury". That was not the case last year".

The nice thing is that we can see the same improvements in the D-core (e.g. one can compare the sandpaper of O'Brien and Ballard, but Ballard is so much more useful).

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammyrft View Post
Am I the only one who would like to see oreskovich over Hansen? We need that big body presence.
...yes. You most certainly would be.

I would take Hansen any day of the week ad twice on Tuesday on my team over Oreskovich. No knock to Oreo, but Hansen is the far, far, far, far, FAR superior player.

If this team ever manages to get completely healthy, then it is most certainly the deepest team we have ever assembled and--IMO--the best shot we have ever had at making noise in the playoffs. The forward units and the D pairings are simply disgusting to look at when(if) completely healthy.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Sebastion

basically just have Raymond, Torres and Higgins rotate among LW positions depending on need or who's rolling

Sebastion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 10:47 AM
jimmythescot

I think Oreskovich will be a good player, and almost certainly an NHL player, but right now we're looking to win it all. All the other options mentioned in this thread are better for this playoff run.

Seeing those rival line-ups earlier in the thread used to instil fear in me, but I honestly think we have the best team on paper now. The only potential weakness is Lapierre not listening to instructions, but AV seems to trust him and we have Hodgson down on the farm. I guess if Edler comes back rusty it would hurt for the first round, but he should be back to form by round two (assuming they get there).

And any time anyone questions the 'choking' last year we should just quote this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tact View Post
Demitra - Wellwood - Bernier
Glass - Johnson - Hansen
*Hordichuk, Rypien

vs.

Torres - Malholtra - Hansen
Higgins - Lapierre - Glass
*Tambellini
What's Demitra doing now anyway?

jimmythescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:13 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

I'm wondering if we don't head into the playoffs with the defense pairings as (ignoring proper left/right format):

Salo-Ehrhoff
Hamhuis-Bieska
Edler-Ballard

Edler should be coming back just in time for the playoffs but will have missed 30 games. Might be a better idea to ease him back into the lineup when the playoff starts, then promote him back to top spot once Salo breaks. Or if by some miracle he doesn't break, then round 2 or 3. With the defensive depth we have it would also be smart to spread the minutes around, all the better for a long run.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 04:51 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
I'm wondering if we don't head into the playoffs with the defense pairings as (ignoring proper left/right format):

Salo-Ehrhoff
Hamhuis-Bieska
Edler-Ballard

Edler should be coming back just in time for the playoffs but will have missed 30 games. Might be a better idea to ease him back into the lineup when the playoff starts, then promote him back to top spot once Salo breaks. Or if by some miracle he doesn't break, then round 2 or 3. With the defensive depth we have it would also be smart to spread the minutes around, all the better for a long run.

I think you are better off sticking with people on their better sides, seems we have 3 left side and 3 right side.

Elder-Hoff
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Ballard-Salo

that's 3 pairs that can play on a side that suits them. If Elder needs a little less ice time Ballard-Salo 3rd pairing should be able to pick it up 5-on-5.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 05:32 PM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythescot View Post
I think Oreskovich will be a good player, and almost certainly an NHL player, but right now we're looking to win it all. All the other options mentioned in this thread are better for this playoff run.
Had Higgins not been acquired I'd have been very much comfortable with Oreskovich as a 4th line option. His physical play is a great asset.

In the playoffs if the 4th line is physical, and doesn't spend much time in the defensive zone and pots a couple goals they will be doing their job.

crazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote