HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Question about curves of blades

Old
02-22-2011, 07:36 PM
Ducksgo
#EtemUp

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo
Question about curves of blades

Well I tested out the forsberg pattern and my slapshot has a good amount of heat on it. But as soon as i switched patterns to Sakic, my slapshot is horrible but my wrister is accurate. So the question is do curve patterns really matter? or is my technique bad? should i adjust something since the Sakic has a deeper curve than the Forsberg? etc?

Thanks

Ducksgo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 08:29 PM
WickedWrister

Certain blade are more adept to performing certain things. The Forsberg is a pretty modest curve so it's good for backhands and stickhandling.

The Sakic is a bigger curve so you can get more velocity on your wristshots, but the backhand is harder.

Don't change your game based on a blade curve. I just like borrowing some of my friends sticks at a pickup game and see what works best.

I see that you're looking at easton blades. I prefer the Heatley pattern as its a good mix between the two patterns you mentioned.

WickedWrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:58 AM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
Well I tested out the forsberg pattern and my slapshot has a good amount of heat on it. But as soon as i switched patterns to Sakic, my slapshot is horrible but my wrister is accurate. So the question is do curve patterns really matter? or is my technique bad? should i adjust something since the Sakic has a deeper curve than the Forsberg? etc?

Thanks
It's because the Sakic is open-faced. It's more like a wedge. It's like you went golfing and switched from a 3 iron to a 9. You're probably chipping the puck when you used to be putting all wood on it. The curve could have something to do with it, too. Personally I don't like any loft on my blades, my wristers always fly too high.
---
Decoding stick blade patterns

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:29 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Does the puck flutter when you take wristers with the Forsberg? Does the velocity drop? Do you have trouble raising the puck?

If you're taking a traditional sweep wrist shot, the Sakic's deeper curve could put more spin on it, and if you are releasing it earlier in the stance (further from the net), the loft could help you raise it. That could make a more accurate, harder wrist shot.

Budster's right on with the slapper analysis...if you're striking the puck/ice with the blade neutral or open, it will chip rather than cradle the puck.

You'll probably want to either close up your blade on slappers with the Sakic or take more snap shots instead of wristers with the Forsberg. Blade patterns have advantages and disadvantages for certain types of games...I'd start with one you like and change your technique to take advantage of it.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 03:07 PM
AIREAYE

Make sure that your flex rating on the stick and the lie of the blade is appropriate for you before considering curve, otherwise what these other guys say is very true as well

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 07:48 PM
Kulikov Is King
LETS GO PANTHERS!!!

vCash: 50
Not trying to hijack the thread but I'm just getting into hockey and am looking to get a Easton stick.... I'm caught between the sakic curve and the zetterberg curve.... Which is a better all around curve( defenseman and forward)

Kulikov Is King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 10:48 PM
trtaylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlaPanthers View Post
Not trying to hijack the thread but I'm just getting into hockey and am looking to get a Easton stick.... I'm caught between the sakic curve and the zetterberg curve.... Which is a better all around curve( defenseman and forward)
Zetterberg for new player. A very good curve.

trtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 07:41 AM
vyktor

how much does the blade pattern affect stickhandling? is an open faced stick harder to control the puck with?

vyktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 09:49 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I find that blades that are really long are a little harder to control. Also, having a bit of curve to the blade (especially towards the toe) makes toe drags and other moves easier.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:31 PM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyktor View Post
how much does the blade pattern affect stickhandling? is an open faced stick harder to control the puck with?
I think the depth of the curve affects it more, but the length of your stick will affect your handling more than anything else.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 09:21 PM
Gervess
@Gervess

For me I use a Thornton curve on CCM. The curve is perfect for me as I don't have a really good slapper but my wrist shot are just like Kovalchuck, quick release with chirurgical accuracy and good strenght on it. I have a good puckhandling, the blade is not too long so great control of the puck. Just to say my slap shot is average since I prefer to work on wrist shot instead of slap shot so I don't have the perfect technique for slappers.

Gervess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:02 PM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

Can anyone tell me what the dimensions are of the old Bauer Gratton curve? I'm trying to figure out what blade style best suits me but all I have to go off of is the Gratton vs. Coffey and they seem completely different.

blokeyhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 05:35 PM
ponder

No one pattern is perfect for all types of shots/passes/stick handling moves, but with practice you can get good at everything with any pattern. Find one pattern you're most comfortable with overall and stick with it. One basic tip is to keep the puck at the deepest part of the curve (i.e. near the heel for a heel curve, mid blade for a mid curve, closer to the toe for a toe curve) at the start of the shot. NHL players use everything from nearly flat blades (like Crosby) to insanely huge, super open toe curves (like Ovechkin), and all of them can do anything with the puck fantastically well, it's really just what you're most comfortable with.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote