HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

How did Mattias Ohlund play?

Closed Thread

Old
06-26-2010, 09:48 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

vCash: 500
How did Mattias Ohlund play?

Last year is the first time i have to to watch my favorite team plays without Ohlund, i just wonder who great did he play in Tampa Bay? Thanks

Old
06-26-2010, 11:25 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
Last year is the first time i have to to watch my favorite team plays without Ohlund, i just wonder who great did he play in Tampa Bay? Thanks
well, minus the odd role that we stuck him in and his injuries.

Old
06-27-2010, 08:03 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

The injuries weren't that big of an issue. It happens. As for the role Tocchet had him in, he was purely a defensive-defenseman. 0 goals, but that's not a knock on his ability, but rather a problem with the system Tocchet implemented.

Defensemen rarely pinched, or shot, with the exception of Kurtis Foster. Where that's pretty much what he was there for.

In the first weeks of the season, Ohlund struck me as a guy who can follow the coach's instructions. (To the letter if need be.) This was also the period of time when he'd check a guy, but then wouldn't move for a second or two. It wasn't strictly "holding", as he wasn't physically restraining the player, but it was meant to obstruct. I think that may have been part of Tocchet's directions. It didn't seem like a natural thing to do, although in theory, it seemed pretty smart to hold up an opposing player with a defenseman not joining the rush. The forward would be delayed from doing his job, and the defenseman would be ready to backcheck before anyone else.

In practice, with no two-line pass, that forward can be passed the puck quickly, and it becomes a situation where he has to be shut down again, but without hooking or holding. It becomes a game between the defenseman and forward, where the rules favor the forward, and Smith in goal. It's got to be very tiring. Keeping in mind that the other team carries 12 forwards, and it'd be mostly up to Ohlund to outlast them. Fortunately, Tocchet gave up on that.

I can't blame his lack of offensive production on anything other than him being a team player. As flawed as the thinking behind it (Tocchet's) may have turned out to be.

It did make for a bit of hesitancy as he was shifting his focus to always pass up to the forwards, instead of doing something himself. Which makes me believe that he can be utilized in a more offensive role by Boucher.

Otherwise, he played well, I'd say he was the team's best defenseman all season. (Lundin gets some people's votes, and although he did play well, I'd say it was more a case of him exceeding expectations, against his generally mediocre peers, than being "the" best.)

Last edited by Felonious Python: 06-27-2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old
06-27-2010, 08:50 AM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Otherwise, he played well, I'd say he was the team's best defenseman all season. (Lundin gets some people's votes, and although he did play well, I'd say it was more a case of him exceeding expectations, against his generally mediocre peers, than being "the" best.)
Id agree with all of this he was playing purely in a shutdown role, him and Lundin did make for easily our best pairing all season, and yeah I think there is a lot of offense to be tapped into in him with a different system.

Although I am one of those that thinks Lundin was the best dman, 20+ minutes a night, solid offensive production given the way our blueline seemed to be told to play and very very mobile (which IMO makes up for his lack of physicality). I would say that Ohlund was a close second though. And no one on the team hit the way Ohlund did (take notes Smaby, or go back to your 08-09 form at least)

Old
06-27-2010, 09:41 AM
Staalguy

im not going to read into any of the stats that were bad last year becuase i believe that there was some serious hating in the dressing room last year and Tocc just had the whole coaching idea wrong

Old
06-27-2010, 09:43 AM
Staalguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
Id agree with all of this he was playing purely in a shutdown role, him and Lundin did make for easily our best pairing all season, and yeah I think there is a lot of offense to be tapped into in him with a different system.

Although I am one of those that thinks Lundin was the best dman, 20+ minutes a night, solid offensive production given the way our blueline seemed to be told to play and very very mobile (which IMO makes up for his lack of physicality). I would say that Ohlund was a close second though. And no one on the team hit the way Ohlund did (take notes Smaby, or go back to your 08-09 form at least)

ask Phil " the thrill" Kessel and Hank Zetterberg about how hard Ohlund can hit

Old
06-27-2010, 12:30 PM
CSampson

He ****ing laid out Kessel in his first game back.

Season success in my books.

Old
06-27-2010, 01:07 PM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staalguy View Post
ask Phil " the thrill" Kessel and Hank Zetterberg about how hard Ohlund can hit
Exactly, 2 of the best hits in the entire NHL all season. I could watch youtubes of those hits all day.

Old
06-27-2010, 03:51 PM
TBLHoser

I like to compare the Bolts defensive "system" to the Dutch kid with his finger in the dike. I think there was a lot of praying going on and not any room for the players to play the way they were suited for. Coaching staff just didn't know how to pair any of them together so all-in-all the jury is still out. When goals were scored most of them looked at each other with that "I thought he was YOUR guy?" look....

Anyways, Ohlund played pretty steady imo with his occasional splash hits but I think he was also trying to watch Hedman too since he appeared lost at times. Ohlund & Lundin were the best last year but even Lundin was caught chasing players last year....

Old
06-27-2010, 06:45 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Let's just say that when he wasn't in the game, our defense was that much worse.

Old
06-27-2010, 07:01 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 169
Ohlund is worth it just for Hedman, his solid play was a bonus.

06-27-2010, 10:20 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
Exactly, 2 of the best hits in the entire NHL all season. I could watch youtubes of those hits all day.
He could hit very hard when he plays for Vancouver too, but he rarely did it.

Old
07-09-2010, 09:36 PM
gslice snipes

hopefully he did good i didnt get a big chance to see him at all but hopefully he does good for hedman too. i think that he could be a big time star but a bunch of people thing that too though

Old
09-15-2010, 06:45 PM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 133
Quote:
Ohlund doesn't want to hear excuses

Mattias Ohlund, the Lightning's marquee free-agent pickup in 2009, puts the blame squarely on himself for his subpar season.
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...season/1121778

Old
09-15-2010, 09:32 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Actually i'd put it more on Wilson and Tocchet, but whatever makes you angry brother.

Old
09-15-2010, 09:33 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

Wilson deserves all the blame for no other reason than Smaby somehow playing better with a broken foot than he did last year.

Old
09-15-2010, 09:42 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yzerman effect View Post
Wilson deserves all the blame for no other reason than Smaby somehow playing better with a broken foot than he did last year.
That in itself was the biggest sign to me. How do you have a guy go from a broken footed, slow, physical mess that STILL hits more than everyone on the team in a half season and blocks a ****ton of shots to a benchwarming, few minute a game expendable?

**** last years coaching.

Old
11-26-2010, 10:53 PM
Mizral

Hey guys, thought I'd bump this as I'm curious to know how one of my all-time favorite D-men is doing. I've seen he's played 15 games with 1 point and 17:49 ATOI which seems really bad for him. Considering he has $3.5 million over 5 seasons after this one, does he fit into the cap structure of the team down the road? Also how has his presence helped developed Hedman?

Old
11-26-2010, 11:52 PM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
The injuries weren't that big of an issue. It happens. As for the role Tocchet had him in, he was purely a defensive-defenseman. 0 goals, but that's not a knock on his ability, but rather a problem with the system Tocchet implemented.

Defensemen rarely pinched, or shot, with the exception of Kurtis Foster. Where that's pretty much what he was there for.
Ohlund hasn't exactly brought much offense to the table this year either. Not that I want to start an argument, but we still don't pinch enough and I can't blame the coaches for Ohlund's subpar play last season. I also thought Lundin was clearly our "best", but as a whole our D flat out sucked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar R Jones View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
That in itself was the biggest sign to me. How do you have a guy go from a broken footed, slow, physical mess that STILL hits more than everyone on the team in a half season and blocks a ****ton of shots to a benchwarming, few minute a game expendable?

**** last years coaching.
Didn't Smaby come into camp in bad shape? I remember hearing that, and then he got crunched by Blanchard early in the season down in the A. Smaby just gets hurt so damn often it's crazy. I wish he could revert to how he played with a broken foot, but sitting on the bench isn't going to make that happen. If he's going to be used in such a limited role, I'd rather see him back in Norfolk, playing good minutes and finding his game.

Old
11-27-2010, 12:04 AM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral View Post
Hey guys, thought I'd bump this as I'm curious to know how one of my all-time favorite D-men is doing. I've seen he's played 15 games with 1 point and 17:49 ATOI which seems really bad for him. Considering he has $3.5 million over 5 seasons after this one, does he fit into the cap structure of the team down the road? Also how has his presence helped developed Hedman?
I will say that while he isn't as good offensively as he was in Vancouver, he's playing a simple game and not trying to get fancy in the way he gets things done. His timing on big hits is still great, and he's not letting everyone blow by him because he's playing the body like he should. I'm actually disappointed this hasn't rubbed off on Hedman, who thinks his stick can stop anyone flying across the blueline. That said, I'm sure Ohlund has had nothing but a positive influence on his fellow Swede.

As for the "Does he fit into the cap structure down the road" thing, I really hope not. Not that I dislike him, but that contract is nuts. he's not worth the 4 mil he makes now, and he won't be worth the 5.5 next year and the 5 the year after that. I'd be pretty surprised to see anyone take that salary on, unless he hugely improves his play and can somehow make up for his lack of speed. We may be stuck with him until at least the 14/15 season.

Old
11-27-2010, 10:18 AM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Ohlund's deal is front-loaded you have to remember. By the time his play falls off his deal isn't anything significant. And even then, he'd still be a great bottom pairing guy (or still kicking Top 4 minutes who knows) later in his career unless he just hits an absolute wall like Redden, but that won't be a problem due to the front-loading. He wasn't signed for offense really, his defense with Lundin is a great shutdown pairing for us, anything offense wise is bonus. It was great structuring by Lawton, I will give him that.

Old
11-27-2010, 10:32 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Downie View Post
Ohlund's deal is front-loaded you have to remember. By the time his play falls off his deal isn't anything significant. And even then, he'd still be a great bottom pairing guy (or still kicking Top 4 minutes who knows) later in his career unless he just hits an absolute wall like Redden, but that won't be a problem due to the front-loading. He wasn't signed for offense really, his defense with Lundin is a great shutdown pairing for us, anything offense wise is bonus. It was great structuring by Lawton, I will give him that.
Right. People usually only look at cap hit, and not how much money they'll actually be making at a given point. Since it's a point considered by the manager and player during negotiation, it can't be skipped over for the sake of convenience.

I have to figure that with how badly the economy has been going, and how the cap has continued to rise, the hit should continue to take up a smaller slice of the pie each year.

Although I don't completely get why Lawton signed him for that long to begin with.

Old
11-27-2010, 10:36 AM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

Quote:

Although I don't completely get why Lawton signed him for that long to begin with.
Not as bad as giving Walker 4 years. Walker should be signing 1 year deals for the rest of his career, he must have a great agent.

Old
11-27-2010, 01:58 PM
I Am Beat You

Crediting Lawton for the Ohlund contract? Are my eyes deceiving me?

Old
11-27-2010, 03:54 PM
Rschmitz

It was a great pickup, mentor for Hedman and #1 defenseman two birds one stone. Ohlund hasn't lived up to his contract though

Closed Thread