HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boyes excited for playoff run close to home and other comments

Old
03-01-2011, 11:15 AM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Here's a hypothetical for you. Let's say Connolly does play well with Boyes for the rest of the year and he returns to a point per game player for the rest of our games. What do you do with him then? Re-sign him or still let him walk?
Re-sign if that play continues in the playoffs.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 11:19 AM
Mit Yarrum
HoF Turd Shiner

vCash: 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Re-sign if that play continues in the playoffs.
For 1 year. Only if he turns it around with Boyes right away and goes into beast mode in the playoffs. Otherwise, let him walk.

Actually, do you think he would resign here?

Mit Yarrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 11:19 AM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

So you guys would all be okay going into next season with Connolly and Roy as our top two centers...again?

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 11:20 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Has anyone ever just wanted a player(s) off the team for reasons not everyone can understand? For some reason you've just seen enough of that particular player(s) in your teams uniform. Well, no matter what Connolly does for the rest of the season, i just want him gone. I've been supportive of him for the majority of his time in Buffalo. Now i just want Tim gone and look towards the future without him. The Sabres can and will survive without him. The sabres offense doesn't run thru him. Just my opinion.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 11:21 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:
So you guys would all be okay going into next season with Connolly and Roy as our top two centers...again?
Predicting what Regier will do is different than being happy about it.

I could easily see Regier bringing Connolly back under a variety of scenarios whether it's Connolly taking a pay cut to Connolly taking off with Boyes on his wing.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 11:23 AM
Mit Yarrum
HoF Turd Shiner

Every thread is a Connolly thread. I saw it coming and still got suckered in.

Old
03-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Quote:
Other than Brad Richards (Who seems to only want to go to New York), there aren't any good UFA centers to sign..so that means we would have to try and trade for one, which would cost a fortune. I'm not a fan of Connolly, but there just isn't many options out there. Unfortunately Pegula took over during one of the worst free agent years I can remember.

Back on topic..

St. Louis is a defensive styled team, and Boyes seems glad to get out of that system. I have high hopes for him in Buffalo.

Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Sabreality

vCash: 50
Quote:
no, but what we want and what Regier will do are 2 different things.

we can already predict his statement...'center market was thin, we felt there wasnt an upgrade over Tim out there, thought it was in our best interest to bring him back for another year, blahblahblah'

Sabreality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 11:27 AM
Mit Yarrum
HoF Turd Shiner

Well, the center market is thin...

Old
03-01-2011, 11:28 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Try to re-sign him for a year, nothing more.
His presence and style is a lot of what's wrong with this team. I want him back in zero capacity next season, despite the fact that it'll be tough to find other centers elsewhere.

There's no doubt he shouldve been dealt yesterday, and the fact that he wasn't likely does mean that you're probably right: he'll get an offer from us for next year.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 11:30 AM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockFlagAndEagle View Post
Other than Brad Richards (Who seems to only want to go to New York), there aren't any good UFA centers to sign..so that means we would have to try and trade for one, which would cost a fortune. I'm not a fan of Connolly, but there just isn't many options out there. Unfortunately Pegula took over during one of the worst free agent years I can remember.

Back on topic..

St. Louis is a defensive styled team, and Boyes seems glad to get out of that system. I have high hopes for him in Buffalo.
That report was proved false. That was also to waive his NMC. Free agency during the summer is a whole different game.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Quote:
That report was proved false. That was also to waive his NMC. Free agency during the summer is a whole different game.
It will still be tough either way, just about every team in the league will be after him.

Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 11:32 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
I wouldn't. He got a point in how many straight games last year? He still sucked. The guy has no heart. I don't think Brad Boyes is going to bring the freaking heart out of him. Brad Boyes isn't going to make him back check after he gives the puck away 5 times a game.

We need a change in the top 6. We need a new center. Connolly isn't cutting it. We can find a good penalty killer for our bottom 6 who can fill Connolly's void. Our PP has been terrible for a long time. Brad Boyes on the ice with Connolly isn't going to help that to the point of us being a cup contender.

If this is a 20+ game try out for Connolly I'm going to be so pissed off.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 11:37 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
His presence and style is a lot of what's wrong with this team. I want him back in zero capacity next season, despite the fact that it'll be tough to find other centers elsewhere.

There's no doubt he shouldve been dealt yesterday, and the fact that he wasn't likely does mean that you're probably right: he'll get an offer from us for next year.
That's exactly how I feel about Roy

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post
I think the decision is already made. Will Regier really learn anything about TC in 20+ games that he doesn't already know? Doubtful. By not dealing him @ the deadline, I'm inclined to believe he's getting an offer from us in the offseason. Just my opinion, $.2

Old
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post
I think the decision is already made. Will Regier really learn anything about TC in 20+ games that he doesn't already know? Doubtful. By not dealing him @ the deadline, I'm inclined to believe he's getting an offer from us in the offseason. Just my opinion, $.02

Old
03-01-2011, 11:39 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
That's exactly how I feel about Roy
Yet you can't question 2 important things about Roy that you can about TC:

1) Heart/effort/passion
2) Consistent production

Old
03-01-2011, 12:02 PM
Clock

vCash: 50
Quote:
If there aren't any better options available then yeah, I'd do it as a stop-gap (and strictly a stop-gap).

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:04 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Yet you can't question 2 important things about Roy that you can about TC:

1) Heart/effort/passion
2) Consistent production
completely true

Old
03-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Quote:
I've thought of it this way for the past few years. I would be fine with Roy and Connolly as our top 2 centers, as long as we had a 3rd line veteran center who is solid defensively, and can chip in 40-50 points a year too. An all-situations type of player, and a good leader, like Matt Cullen or Saku Koivu. Having top 2 centers of Roy and Connolly is average at best, but add Koivu/Cullen to that depth chart and it makes us pretty solid down the middle. If Connolly continues to suck, swap him with our Koivu/Cullen and we still have two solid scoring lines.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:36 PM
joshjull

Quote:
I wouldn't be happy if Connolly was being counted on to be a top 6 center. But as a stop gap 2/3 center in a revamped top 9. That I could live with.

Lets say they trade for Weiss (or similar level center) in the summer.

Having Roy, Weiss, Connolly isn't bad but its not the final solution to this.

Then they can look for another center to bump Connolly out of the mix in the next few seasons. I could be Adam, Byron developing, another trade acquisition or a UFA signing (like Stoll who is a UFA in the summer of 2012).

Instead of trying to go for a home run. Making mid sized moves to get them where they need to be makes more sense.

Old
03-02-2011, 11:32 AM
Irving Zisman
Really Bad Grandpa

Quote:
I wouldn't be happy if Connolly was being counted on to be a top 6 center. But as a stop gap 2/3 center in a revamped top 9. That I could live with.

Then they can look for another center to bump Connolly out of the mix in the next few seasons. I could be Adam, Byron developing, another trade acquisition or a UFA signing (like Stoll who is a UFA in the summer of 2012).

Instead of trying to go for a home run. Making mid sized moves to get them where they need to be makes more sense.
This.

It's what should have happened last off season (Cullen, Koivu) but unfortunately didn't. Having Connolly as a #3 center who can play as a top 6 center in a pinch is not a bad thing

Bring in a Weiss, Vermette, Umberger type to compliment Roy and Connolly, given the fact that the UFA center market sucks and trading for a Richards type will realistically cost an arm and a leg. I think people will be amazed that having three top 6 centers on the roster (something we haven't seen since 05-07) will go a long way in bringing us to back to serious contention. Let's say they deal Pominville/Stafford for top 6 center:

Vanek--(Weiss, etc.)--Boyes
Ennis--Roy--Stafford/Pominvile
Hecht--Connolly--Kassian
McCormick--Gaustad--Kaleta
x.Gerbe, Adam

That's a pretty nice mix of scoring depth and versatility IMO. Add another solid defenseman to the mix and we contend for the East next year

Irving Zisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:

agreed.

however at some point they need to shift a resource (or 2) from the wing to center via trade. i dont want to wait to the 2012 offseason.

IMO next year they have 9 top 9 wingers (vanek, poms, stafford, boyes, ennis, gerbe, hecht, kassian, adam). It's time to leverage those assets to a true top 6 center. If they did that AND signed Connolly to a 1-2 yr/3.0 per year deal... i'd feel good about the roster

Vanek-Acquired Center-#1 RW (Poms, Staff, Boyes)
#2 LW (Ennis, Adam, Hecht, Gerbe)-Roy-#2 RW (Poms, Staff, Boyes, Kassian)
#3 LW (Adam, Hecht, Gerbe)-Connolly-#3 RW (Kassian, Kaleta, Gerbe)

Last edited by Jame: 03-02-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old
03-02-2011, 12:13 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
agreed.

however at some point they need to shift a resource (or 2) from the wing to center via trade. i dont want to wait to the 2012 offseason.
I'm thinking a winger is used to get that Weiss type center this summer.

Stafford makes the most sense.

Old
03-02-2011, 12:16 PM
OpethianSabre20

Quote:
I'm thinking a winger is used to get that Weiss type center this summer.

Stafford makes the most sense.
For sure, but that would suck for Drew. Hey, you put in all of that hard work in the off-season like we asked you to, now we're shipping you off to hockey hell to bring in this guy.

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote