HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Bruins @ Senators| So Long, Farewell, Auf Wiedersehen, Goodbye| 7:30 PM| TSN

Old
03-02-2011, 08:57 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pt_mck View Post
Kuba was a good signing below market value.

He has given the sens two very good yeas before this one and his been injured more often than not through the past year.He has played much better the last couple of weeks and if healthy will be a solid defenceman next year.

You are as insightful as Don Brennan
Agreed that he had two OK (not good) years for us, and that the price of 29-34 year old defencemen of his ilk is around the $3.5 mil range, like it or not. I'm ok with why he's here, and understood the move when we made it, especially considering that at the time, we had to take a chance on a PMD due to our complete lack of options in that department, and Kuba at least came touted as that kind of guy.

That being said, I can't think of a more frustrating player, even in his good years with the club. He is the most infuriating player EVER to QB a powerplay: you watch him on the blueline, and EVERY TIME he has a clear shooting lane, he hesitates and second-guesses himself (and sometimes third-and-fourth-guesses), pulls back on the shot, and goes back to looking for the pass to the half-boards, which the defending player always reads, and picks up. Always.

And then when he DOES shoot the puck, he reminds you why he always defers to the pass: his shot can best be described as a limp, half-assed snap/slap hybrid shot, maybe it breaks 70MPH on a good day... yes, I know he shot like 98MPH in the skills comp, but under pressure in a game situation the guy can NEVER get ANYTHING on it, and takes about a day and a half to set himself up properly to take the damned thing. Brian Lee has a better, quicker, harder shot than Kuba does during games, which should tell you all you need to know.

For a guy his size (6'4", close to 230lbs) and smarts, he should be a dominant defensive player, but the guy just refuses to use his body AT ALL. When the play goes into our corner, he depends on stickwork and "sound positioning" to either poke the puck out, or wait for the winger to commit to a play, and then half-assedly try to intercept the pass. That's the kind of game Ryan Shannon (5'9" on a good day, 170lbs) should be using, not Kuba.

Just... Aargh. He is a player that leaves you wanting more every time you see him.

End rant.

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:09 AM
fried0

WOW What a performance from the young sens.

I didn't fall asleep on the couch within the second period, which is a first in a while!

Happy sens fan here!

fried0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:51 AM
OgieO

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0C View Post
I agree. It was a good signing no matter how you look at it, and he filled a hole we had on the team back then. He was coming off 37, 31 and 40 points seasons.

He might have been garbage this year, but that doesn't make it a bad signing.
He benefited greatly from our PP that 40 point season. 26 of his 40 points were on the PP and virtually all of those were assists. That PP was driven by the three forwards and he just milked up some secondary assists. His defensive game is pretty meh, and while he does block his share of shots, he's completely non-physical.

We should have moved him at the 2009 deadline when we had the chance.

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Sensfanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgieO View Post
He benefited greatly from our PP that 40 point season. 26 of his 40 points were on the PP and virtually all of those were assists. That PP was driven by the three forwards and he just milked up some secondary assists. His defensive game is pretty meh, and while he does block his share of shots, he's completely non-physical.

We should have moved him at the 2009 deadline when we had the chance.
Actually, more of Kuba's PP assists were primary. At ES he was picking more secondary assists though.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 10:29 AM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgieO View Post
Not everyone hated it. I certainly did, thought that day (04/03/09) was one of the worst in Ottawa Senators history. We re-signed Kuba and traded for Leclaire. Hated both moves. Although it looks like the pick of Lehner will save that day a little bit.

From the thread it looks like it was a 50/50 split.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...signing&page=2
Looking back at that thread, it's funny looking at the reactions to the NTC.

As if that's the reason we can't trade him...

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 11:07 AM
c_mak

Send a message via MSN to c_mak
The "at the time " reasons are what the are logic applied looking backwards. I liked getting Kuba from Tampa "at the time" but he has been bad in the here and now. Not all his fault some injuries some playing on a bad team, but some of it is just him. I am more in the play the kids mode now which could be adding fuel to my he sucks fire but man he looks soooo slow
Would have rather seen him traded for a 2012 7th

c_mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 08:02 PM
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'

Not that anyone but me gives a crap.. but Congrats to Kuba on his 700th career game

Old
03-02-2011, 08:04 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50

i was waiting to see when you'd come in to defend kuba, but i certainly wasnt expecting a milestone. Had no idea.

03-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post

i was waiting to see when you'd come in to defend kuba, but i certainly wasnt expecting a milestone. Had no idea.

must let the public know haha

Marty Straka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 08:42 PM
SevenOfSpades
SkinnyOneOnTheRight

vCash: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
That smiley has a really awkward hairline

SevenOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote