HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Vokoun is signed

Old
03-01-2011, 01:40 AM
KHaosActual

vCash: 500
If Vokoun is signed

Hey, I was curious why everyone was/is so high on Tomas Vokoun?
I mean I've never had the chance to watch him in person, so I could be wrong but what concerns me is his age. He'd be 35 when the season starts.
Looking at his stats, he's be a workhorse goalie at the worries me with his age.
Now, I'm not knocking the guy at all, just with that many games and his age, that's to me a bit worrisome, and again I can be wrong.
I was just looking to see what everyone else is seeing in him.
I know it's been mentioned as a stop-gap but are we gonna try to sign someone who's looking at 5 to 7 million? And again I could be wrong*, and may under-value the position a bit.
And are we looking to have him start 65-70 games or bring that down to 55-60?

KHaosActual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:46 AM
forsbergavs32

vCash: 425
IMO Hes a true starter who could take a big load off of Budaj and maybe teach him a few new things to help him out, and also work with Picard once he's ready to come up to NHL next season or the season after (if we re-sign Budaj, probably 2 years). Basically it would be worth the money to prep our back-up and our potential starter we have in the system.

forsbergavs32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:49 AM
Mouse21*

wouldnt it be snazzy to have a starter for the first time since Roy?

Mouse21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:52 AM
Mant*

I just don't see it happening. The way I figure, the Avs aren't going to sign a goalie his age knowing that they'll be losing him to retirement around the same time the rebuild is nearing completion. I don't really think an aging goalie fits into their current plans, that's why they've been going after younger ones like Anderson and Elliott.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:55 AM
Mouse21*

mason would really be the key, but thats just a pipe dream.

Old
03-01-2011, 03:05 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
I just don't see it happening. The way I figure, the Avs aren't going to sign a goalie his age knowing that they'll be losing him to retirement around the same time the rebuild is nearing completion. I don't really think an aging goalie fits into their current plans, that's why they've been going after younger ones like Anderson and Elliott.
Actually, why would that be a problem? In all honesty if he can play long enough for Pickard or one of our other 20+ goalie prospects to develop, that'd be perfect. Obviously it's a lot to hinge your hopes on but I don't see a more ideal situation.

We need a stopgap and he's the best one available, I say get him. I don't think we will though. Chances are we snag someone like the Monster. It seems pretty clear the Leafs are moving on.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 04:13 AM
the_fan

Next year the Avs are going with Budaj and Elliot and pick #1 over all in 2012-2013 draft..

Yes, i said it. I predict the Avs will finish dead last in the league next year.

Edit: I am one for one with predictions on this forum. Last year i said the Avs wont make the playoffs this year. In fact, i also said that Anderson wont be able to carry this team like last year, and also said that Andy will want out of Denver if they don't put a winning team together soon.

I have prove of all this ya know, i could dig up my posts from last year, but hell, i got nothing to prove.

Last edited by the_fan: 03-01-2011 at 04:28 AM.
the_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 04:35 AM
Mouse21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan View Post
Next year the Avs are going with Budaj and Elliot and pick #1 over all in 2012-2013 draft..

Yes, i said it. I predict the Avs will finish dead last in the league next year.

Edit: I am one for one with predictions on this forum. Last year i said the Avs wont make the playoffs this year. In fact, i also said that Anderson wont be able to carry this team like last year, and also said that Andy will want out of Denver if they don't put a winning team together soon.

I have prove of all this ya know, i could dig up my posts from last year, but hell, i got nothing to prove.
god, please dont get started on your fortune telling again.

Old
03-01-2011, 04:46 AM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 1100
There's no profit in second-guessing Vokoun's ability. People have been doing it for years and he keeps proving them wrong. Plenty of goaltenders remain effective into their late 30's, and there is nothing about Vokoun that hints at fading.

If the Avs can snag him for 4 years at $6M, they should do it without looking back. Ideally, I'd break the bank on him for a shorter contract, but I think he'll want some security in his old age.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 05:22 AM
Jimmy Villa

The key here is Vokoun's age. He will go to a team that is likely to make a push for the Cup next year, or else he'd be staying in Florida. He's never had a crack at a cup, and next year he will sign somewhere that he thinks the gets the best chance of one

Think Detroit, Flyers etc etc

IMO, he only signs with a contender in the off-season. He won't be coming to the Avs, as my kid will be in college by the time they are contending again

PS - I have no kids yet......

Jimmy Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 07:45 AM
Steve Varmalov
And Then....

I do believe if Vokoun is signed on July 1st or before his contract is not a 35+ but if he is signed after July 1st it is a 35+. Just not sure if I want someone on a 4 year 35+ year contract

Yep his DOB is July 2nd

Last edited by Steve Varmalov: 03-01-2011 at 08:07 AM.
Steve Varmalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 08:24 AM
Mant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Villa View Post
The key here is Vokoun's age. He will go to a team that is likely to make a push for the Cup next year, or else he'd be staying in Florida. He's never had a crack at a cup, and next year he will sign somewhere that he thinks the gets the best chance of one

Think Detroit, Flyers etc etc

IMO, he only signs with a contender in the off-season. He won't be coming to the Avs, as my kid will be in college by the time they are contending again

PS - I have no kids yet......
Kindly adopt an 18 year old this summer.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 08:28 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Any goalie we get through UFA this summer will most likely be a transitional one, so I don't think age matters much. Unless you give an old goalie a very long contract.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 08:55 AM
hockeyfish

The real question is the ability for us to attract an older UFA. I have a hard time imagining someone at his age wanting to be part of an ongoing rebuild.

hockeyfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 09:38 AM
falconski
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan View Post

you also said duchene is a bust

falconski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 10:01 AM
Jimmy Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
Kindly adopt an 18 year old this summer.

Like it, loop hole!

Jimmy Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:07 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
Eh...I wouldn't count on it from either perspective. Don't see the Avs going after a goalie that old; don't see a goalie that good going after the Avs.

I think they'll trade for someone. The UFA goalies mostly suck this year.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:33 PM
jaisen73

I'm going to hope they deal at the draft for Bernier from L.A. The Kings just gave up their 1st round pick, the Avs have an extra one. The pieces are there to at least begin some kind of trade.

jaisen73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:33 PM
18Mike18

i would Love the Avs to throw him 5 mill

18Mike18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:36 PM
avsman

I want either him or bryzgalov until picards ready

avsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:44 PM
falconski
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisen73 View Post
I'm going to hope they deal at the draft for Bernier from L.A. The Kings just gave up their 1st round pick, the Avs have an extra one. The pieces are there to at least begin some kind of trade.
the way st louis is going, that extra one won't be until 2012

falconski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:45 PM
Joe Sakic
Goodbye ROR

vCash: 125
I'm sick of this whole "re-build" thing. I understand we're a young team and our players are going to take time to develop, but what's wrong with trying to win right now? People act like signing someone over the age of 30 is going to kill this team's re-build. Why not take a chance on an already proven goalie?

Joe Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 04:02 PM
chewey
dmitri

vCash: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFan16 View Post
I'm sick of this whole "re-build" thing. I understand we're a young team and our players are going to take time to develop, but what's wrong with trying to win right now? People act like signing someone over the age of 30 is going to kill this team's re-build. Why not take a chance on an already proven goalie?
Feel free to suggest someone over 30 who is better than what we have, won't cost more than he is worth, and available.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 05:07 PM
jaisen73

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconski View Post
the way st louis is going, that extra one won't be until 2012
True. Hopefully they find a way to be the #11 pick!

jaisen73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 05:25 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

I still want to go after Bernier. Have him and Pickard as #1 & #2.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote