HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can Tambellini be trusted?

View Poll Results: Do you think the players trust Tambellini?
Yes 101 63.92%
No 26 16.46%
Not sure 31 19.62%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-01-2011, 04:07 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 3251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Read a few posts earlier.

If you want there to be a change to management and the old boys club mentality, we as fans have to hit the organization where it hurts. That's in their pockets. Joe Steak not watching the game on tv hurts a lot less than Joe Steak leaving an unsold ticket in the arena. The TV contracts are signed, they will make x amount of dollars whether or not you watch. Unsold tickets is 100% profit margin that they lose.
Yes but if less people watch the less the contracts will be next time again. It's really no different then a season ticket holder all of a sudden not going to games. Tickets are paid for so who cares if they don't come? It was that mentality that is now catching up with close to a dozen teams in the NHL.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 04:47 PM
GreatMcKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennertration View Post
What a hilarious opening post for this thread.

How dare a GM try to motivate his team or encourage them to play better! That's disgusting!

I'll tell you who I don't trust:

- Omark on the backcheck
- Cogliano to know who to cover in his own zone
- Foster to hit the net
- Peckham to go more than one game without a penalty
- Taylor Hall to skate slowly
- Gagner to stay on his feet for a whole game
- Jones to have a tame goal celebration
- Reddox to give less than 110%
- Strudwick to clear the zone on his 1st or 2nd attempts
This post deserves both a and a

GreatMcKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Cybertron84

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelusionOIL View Post
No I hear what your saying man, and I agree with most of it. I am not talking about going after guys to fill in the top six, I am more concerned with pursuing guys to fill out the bottom six. I agree that the UFA/RFA list leaves a lot to be desired in terms of great top six talents that fit our age criteria, but I think the list is actually filled with some guys that would fit right in with our present needs at the moment. Not too mention with our abundance (IMO) of mid-low range prospects which in my mind are almost redundant as it seems we have been stockpiling a lot of the same sorts of players, I think there MIGHT be a market for some of what we have to offer. Although saying that I am not a GM and only a fan so I may really not even have a clue. I am not even talking about a playoff run either, I dont think next season thats really an attainable goal unless like you say some of our younger players really explode on the scene. But I am just saying I would like to see some progress on the Oiler's side of things, and for them to at-least on the surface show a desire to start to attain that "winning culture" that we hear so often about.

In the end, all I am saying is that to me it seems that management is completely conformable with another season in the tank. And I personally do not agree with it, nor do I think it is progressive to our end game goal. Too much losing and I think with the prospects we have that in turn it might just turn into a perpetual "losing culture" the likes of which I hypothesize has happened and is currently
going on with the NYI.
Maybe we can steal Tavares when he doesn't resign to play with eberle and hall

Cybertron84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Good Names Left View Post
Other than the Habby deal, Tambo has done pretty well. He got rid of much needed cap space. We were basically the Ottawa senators, last place high cap hits.

Here`s the thing...The Oilers have a plan, the obtain assets and build the team through the draft. Period. If you follow through on your plan and it doesn`t work, that is one thing. If you don`t have a plan (ala KLowe, why he is still with the team is beyond me, that is for another thread), that is complete unacceptable.

If you look at what Burke did in Toronto when he first got there, he just wanted to get into the playoffs anyway possible and made a ridiculous trade for Kessel. Two years later, he has changed his tune, now he says, barely making the playoffs and getting knocked out in the 1st round is useless, hence his trading for assets this year.

I live in Calgary and I am taking a lot of heat from friends on how we finished last overall and its going to be 2 years in a row. They would rather be mediocre and have a chance at the playoffs every year. We will have a greater chance at winning the cup before the Flames do if we stay the course. I want to be like Detroit, where its not if you are going to make the playoffs, but how far are we going to go this year.

If you guys want to blame anyone, blame Kevin Lowe and the previous scouting regime, they traded all young assets and left our cupboard bare and couldn`t find a NHL prospect if they were given a map with a big X on it.
If anyone should be blamed it should be Slats and EIG. Lowe had to revamp the entire scouting staff when he took over from Slats. Lowe hired Stu MacGregor when he took over as GM. Lowe also made Stu MacGregor head scout.

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=430008

EIG tied Lowes hands and the reason for the Souray signing and the OS. If you watch the first episode of Oil Change, Lowe mentions if he could do the Pronger thing over again, he'd blow up the team and start the rebuild.

03-01-2011, 08:08 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoilburnsclean View Post
I think the op has been watching to much Jesse Ventura's conspiracy theories
He's probably staked outside Tambo's house with binoculars just waiting for him to screw up.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 08:20 PM
McDorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 50
I'm just floored by some of the Tambo hate on these boards. I think he is moving this team in the right direction. He's moving it much slower than a few people want, but if you're gonna do it, do it right. I happen to think he is. It seems to me that no matter what Tambo does, some people will have an issue with it. It's pure antagonistic hatred which has little merit, and to be frank, is kind of alarming and disturbing. I'd hate to see how some posters talk around the water cooler about the other employees and management in their place of employment. If it is anything like these boards, I certainly would want to go to work every day. Flame away guys, I don't really give a crap. I'm happy in my place in life.

McDorian2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 08:22 PM
Tremgod

I am amazed at the reactions some people are having over this trade. Some are acting like it's the Gretzky trade all over. We traded away a guy who scored 94 goals in 4 years here. Not an Allstar. the guy was well known for listless play on a regular basis. wth MPS already in the fold it was apparent from the moment the Oil called Hall's name that Penner's days were numbered here. This is nothing more than clearing out more of the old dead wood that was unable to win here. expect more of it in the future.

Tremgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 08:29 PM
AK Dandyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiffler's Mom View Post
Tambellini trading Penner for prospects and draft picks instead of actual NHL players, while simultaneously trying to trade Hemsky and Smid, opened my eyes a little. In fact I became very upset once I realized what actually happened. Many on this board are asking, what is THE PLAN? Some posters have it figured out already and I suspected it all along, but now it is just plain obvious.

What just transpired at the trade deadline(trading one of our best players for a prospect and draft picks)just makes that meeting Tambo held a couple of weeks ago reek of dishonesty.

Tambo called a players meeting a couple of weeks ago to inform them that he doesn't want them to tank and that it was not management's intention to tank. It seemed to work. The team has been busting their butts and playing better since that meeting. IMO it is not a coincidence that the meeting just happened to be a couple of weeks before the trade deadline. Question is, did Tambo meet with the players just to motivate them to improve their play in order to showcase some of them before the trade deadline?

Its a tough question. But the answer is even tougher, especially for the players who realize that they just got a full load of Tambo b.s. at that meeting. How can Tambellini look his players in the face and tell them they are not tanking for draft picks when he is trying to trade his 2 best forwards and one of his regular defensemen? Shame on you Tambellini!
Are you thinking we are going to get to the playoff this year and be a contender next year?

What does trading Penner has anything to do with asking his players as individual to go compete hard and try to win games?

Just because we traded a player, all players should stop competing hard? We traded Wayne Gretzky and still was able win a cup 2 years later without the best player ever, because the remaining players did not quit and keep competing.

We are in a rebuild. It's painful to see our team losing so many games, but it's a process. Look at how many years it took for the Pens, the Blackhawks in this process. Penguins took Fleury 1st overall in 2003, then Malkin 2nd overall in 2004. Did they try to sign & keep high price free agents? Did they worry about trying to win a few more games near the end of the season to avoid a small percentage of fans calling out them for not improving right away?

No, the Pens did not worry about that stuff and they went on to draft Crosby the next year and Jordan Staal the year after.

So because we should portrait there is no tanking, we should not trade a player who we may have problem paying & re-signing or who may want to move back to LA where his newly wife works anyway to get some great assets back to further our rebuilding?

Most hockey analysts thought that was a great move for Oilers including the likes of Bob McKenzie, Dreger, Ferraro, Pierre McGuire... okay forget about Pierre.

AK Dandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 08:29 PM
Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
I'm just floored by some of the Tambo hate on these boards. I think he is moving this team in the right direction. He's moving it much slower than a few people want, but if you're gonna do it, do it right. I happen to think he is. It seems to me that no matter what Tambo does, some people will have an issue with it. It's pure antagonistic hatred which has little merit, and to be frank, is kind of alarming and disturbing. I'd hate to see how some posters talk around the water cooler about the other employees and management in their place of employment. If it is anything like these boards, I certainly would want to go to work every day. Flame away guys, I don't really give a crap. I'm happy in my place in life.
Well chances are that if the management of a company had comparable results to what Tambo has achieved as Gm of the Oilers (ie finished dead last 2 years running and looking pretty bad next year too) then management would either be fired or the company would be bankrupt.

One thing is for certain though. The management team that led the company towards unparalleled failure would NOT be the same management team that would be in change leading the company towards greener pastures.

Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus View Post
Well chances are that if the management of a company had comparable results to what Tambo has achieved as Gm of the Oilers (ie finished dead last 2 years running and looking pretty bad next year too) then management would either be fired or the company would be bankrupt.

One thing is for certain though. The management team that led the company towards unparalleled failure would NOT be the same management team that would be in change leading the company towards greener pastures.
So just because You WANT those two scenarios to be the same, doesn't mean they are, in any way. Last I checked, and I mean it wasn't recently or anything, there wasn't a business entry draft.

Jimmi McJenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Kirby

Send a message via AIM to Kirby
Quote:
Tambellini trading Penner for prospects and draft picks instead of actual NHL players, while simultaneously trying to trade Hemsky and Smid, opened my eyes a little. In fact I became very upset once I realized what actually happened. Many on this board are asking, what is THE PLAN? Some posters have it figured out already and I suspected it all along, but now it is just plain obvious.

What just transpired at the trade deadline(trading one of our best players for a prospect and draft picks)just makes that meeting Tambo held a couple of weeks ago reek of dishonesty.

Tambo called a players meeting a couple of weeks ago to inform them that he doesn't want them to tank and that it was not management's intention to tank. It seemed to work. The team has been busting their butts and playing better since that meeting. IMO it is not a coincidence that the meeting just happened to be a couple of weeks before the trade deadline. Question is, did Tambo meet with the players just to motivate them to improve their play in order to showcase some of them before the trade deadline?

Its a tough question. But the answer is even tougher, especially for the players who realize that they just got a full load of Tambo b.s. at that meeting. How can Tambellini look his players in the face and tell them they are not tanking for draft picks when he is trying to trade his 2 best forwards and one of his regular defensemen? Shame on you Tambellini!
I'm confused about how so many people do not understand what the word "rebuild" means. I'm very tempted to post a definition.

The trade itself fits into the rebuilding process that the Oilers are currently undergoing. In a rebuild, you trade high valued assets that have a high chance of either not being here once the rebuild is complete, or have a high chance of not being effective once the rebuild is over. You trade such assets in order to obtain other assets that have a high chance of both being here and being effective at the end of the rebuilding process. Regardless of the great things Penner had to say (or that he was one of our best players), the fact remains that their were certain factors in play that would suggest that he would not be here long term, therefore he was traded.

The entire organization has known that they are in rebuild mode for a while now, so any trade that is made in an attempt to aid the rebuild along should not come to a surprise to anyone, whether they are a fan or apart of the organization.

Now to the point of Tambo's speech to the players. Tambo's point was this: He is not going to tolerate lack of effort. Why? Because regardless of the fact that we are currently losing a lot of games, if the players stop putting effort into the games, they wont learn anything from the games or get better. There is a huge difference between losing games while putting in effort vs. losing games and putting in no effort. With the latter, playing the game with no effort is equivalent to not playing at all: you learn nothing, you gain nothing, and therefore you don't get better. There is more to the rebuild than just getting younger, it's also about getting better, and if the players stop caring and putting in effort, the team will not get better. That is what Tambo's speech was about. There was no dishonesty in that speech, and the trade doesn't contradict his speech/message.

/end rant

Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 08:34 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:

I voted no but now that I see what you're getting at I want to change my vote. Lol, seriously what is this?

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 08:49 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Dandyman View Post
Are you thinking we are going to get to the playoff this year and be a contender next year?

What does trading Penner has anything to do with asking his players as individual to go compete hard and try to win games?

Just because we traded a player, all players should stop competing hard? We traded Wayne Gretzky and still was able win a cup 2 years later without the best player ever, because the remaining players did not quit and keep competing.

We are in a rebuild. It's painful to see our team losing so many games, but it's a process. Look at how many years it took for the Pens, the Blackhawks in this process. Penguins took Fleury 1st overall in 2003, then Malkin 2nd overall in 2004. Did they try to sign & keep high price free agents? Did they worry about trying to win a few more games near the end of the season to avoid a small percentage of fans calling out them for not improving right away?

No, the Pens did not worry about that stuff and they went on to draft Crosby the next year and Jordan Staal the year after.

So because we should portrait there is no tanking, we should not trade a player who we may have problem paying & re-signing or who may want to move back to LA where his newly wife works anyway to get some great assets back to further our rebuilding?

Most hockey analysts thought that was a great move for Oilers including the likes of Bob McKenzie, Dreger, Ferraro, Pierre McGuire... okay forget about Pierre.
Canadian fans have no patience for a rebuild.

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 09:02 PM
AK Dandyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
No wonder why peoples in Toronto think Brian Burke is a good GM!

AK Dandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 09:16 PM
Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
So just because You WANT those two scenarios to be the same, doesn't mean they are, in any way. Last I checked, and I mean it wasn't recently or anything, there wasn't a business entry draft.
Well ain't that just a saving grace. Seriously.

Finishing dead last and securing a top draft pick is the EASY part and deserves zero praise. Make no mistake about that. I mean this in a complementary way but if you and I were the GMs of this team I have no doubt we could do the same thing. Sucking and tearing down a team is easy. Rebuilding a completing team is where is gets hard and, so far, Tambo has not shown that he is capable of such a task. That's where the current displeasure with Tambo lies. But I guess another top pick is coming so let's give Tambo the necessary accolades.

Old
03-01-2011, 09:43 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus View Post
Well ain't that just a saving grace. Seriously.

Finishing dead last and securing a top draft pick is the EASY part and deserves zero praise. Make no mistake about that. I mean this in a complementary way but if you and I were the GMs of this team I have no doubt we could do the same thing. Sucking and tearing down a team is easy. Rebuilding a completing team is where is gets hard and, so far, Tambo has not shown that he is capable of such a task. That's where the current displeasure with Tambo lies. But I guess another top pick is coming so let's give Tambo the necessary accolades.
There's contracts, roster limits, development, etc, etc. I could go on and on. I get it, you don't like Tambellini, but don't create an argument that "seems" good, when it actually is apples to oranges.

So my guess is you don't trust him, fair enough.

Jimmi McJenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 10:11 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
Do you Narnia ? Sorry , but I see you posting this comment quite frequently so I'm prompted to ask .

You repeatedly call this a "rebuild" with all the confidence of someone who knows exactly what that means . Some poster above suggested that s/he felt prompted to post a definition of "rebuild" presumably because s/he believes that any criticism of Tamby = a poor understanding of basic English .

I simply don't like Tamby's plan to lose on purpose (while trading away real established NHL players) with the goal of assembling a thick crop of young talent designed to win within a certain "window" . Realizing that this is his plan I can certainly understand why he made the trade he did yesterday , and I would probably fault him for delaying the "rebuild" by not moving Hemsky as well .

The fact that I'm on here posting my opinion of the team Tamby is running has nothing to do with a lack of patience (or substandard English vocabulary) on my part . Sometimes people just disagree , I believe that is one reason we have boards like this . It would be lovely if certain vocal posters would stop trying to ascribe imaginary negative qualities to those posters who don't like the method of Tamby's "rebuild" .

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
There's contracts, roster limits, development, etc, etc. I could go on and on. I get it, you don't like Tambellini, but don't create an argument that "seems" good, when it actually is apples to oranges.

So my guess is you don't trust him, fair enough.
Well your guess is wrong. Yet again. No surprise there as you always seem to pigeonhole posters to fit into your black and white yet skewed view of all things Oilers. See you do it all the time. Can't entertain an opposing thought without jumping to some silly conclusion. So keep on making those "guesses" yet "get" nothing at all.

Old
03-01-2011, 10:25 PM
orangeshinpads
Katz isa manipulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
I find it hard to believe he wasn't scouted this season before acquiring him. Stu and co. likely if not most certainly took a look at him and passed the word. He's put up decent numbers in the AHL this year. For a shutdown D-man anyway.

Tambellini is building a core and addressing long term needs around Hall, Eberle etc. Penner had nothing but positive things to say about the organization. Which reflected Tambellini positively I'm sure. I've wanted Penner moved from the beginning of the year. Great character guy but showed up when he felt like it. I'm happy to add more depth through the draft. It is the proper way to build a team in the Cap era. Penner isn't getting any younger and I'd argue that he was traded at a good time. His production is down and his cap hit is noticeable yet Tambellini dealt him for what would seemed a heighted return. Besides that Penner will happy to join his wife in their Southern California home and be close to his good buddy Bobby Ryan year round instead of just the summer. He has that attitude of SOuthern California. I don't think there could be a better fit. This is a business after all. In terms of assets acquired it is too early to tell who won this deal. My guess is that we will win long term given our excellent scouting staff.
I think this is the most positive way of assessing the departure of Penner. A more negative look could easily be found, I was not too happy about it myself. Saying that he showed up when he wanted to is not too far off, and his value was good at this time. I can buy that. My problem was that when I saw him playing well, he was someone I would never trade. That's what made it hard. He was light-humored and collected on the ice, had great puck possession, size, hands, and the play would never die because of him. I thought he was becoming consistent, but the last few games have been poor again. Maybe it's a blip, but maybe he would never have kept the heat on consistently. Your post has successfully influenced my opinion, and my mood. Thank you.

orangeshinpads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 10:32 PM
mic

The more poignant question is can the fans trust Tambellini to build a winning team?

I say no. Stu MacGregor on the other hand is doing an alright job.

I cannot think of one good move Tambo has accomplished - perhaps the Penner trade pending MacGregor's selection.

mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 10:37 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic View Post
I cannot think of one good move Tambo has accomplished - perhaps the Penner trade pending MacGregor's selection.
I don't mind recognizing him for getting a decent pick and a warm body for Staios . He plucked Jones off waivers for nothing . And the Vandy for O'Sullivan swap is a clear win with the way vandy has been playing lately .

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 10:39 PM
JSC
Registered Sniper

Call me crazy for even thinking this, but does anyone else get the feeling that Tambo might do something big in the offseason?

JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 11:47 PM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

When interviewed tonight, I recall Hemsky saying that Tambellini pulled him aside and talked to him about the possibility of a trade. Hemsky indicated that he thought that it was about 80-20 that he would be traded. A GM who does that is being very upfront and honest with his players.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 11:51 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvirk View Post
Call me crazy for even thinking this, but does anyone else get the feeling that Tambo might do something big in the offseason?
I think he will TRY to do something big at the draft, but I'm skeptical whether he gets it done.

Then again, I didn't think either of Hemsky or Penner would be dealt, so he proved me wrong once.

SDig14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:44 AM
Pennertration

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic View Post
The more poignant question is can the fans trust Tambellini to build a winning team?

I say no. Stu MacGregor on the other hand is doing an alright job.

By this rationale, all of our prospects are busts too. Why? because they haven't contributed in the NHL yet.

The "build" part of the rebuild has barely begun. It essentially started with the drafting of Taylor Hall. The asset collection through the draft will continue this off-season and then - maybe - Tambellini will focus on supplementing the picks/prospects with free agents and trades. Or management will decide to tank for yet another year (I hope that's not the case, but we'll see). It's really hard to say Tambo can't build a winner when he hasn't even tried to plug the holes yet, especially when that's a move that's by design.

The comment about Tambo not making one good move just shows your ignorance and bias against Tambellini. Not one? Come on.

Pennertration is offline   Reply With Quote