HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Datsyuk the most exciting player you have ever watched play?

Old
03-03-2011, 12:41 AM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice View Post
There was a lot of talking during the '06-07 and '07-08 seasons.
Hm. Maybe I do sorta remember some talk about that back then. But I've heard a lot of Wings fans bandy about Datsyuk's name for the Hart too. That's just my experience anyway.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 08:32 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

In my experience most people rate Datsyuk above Zetterberg. Datsyuk's name comes up in every discussion on elite players in the league, Zetterberg's name not so much. And I mean on this forum, I don't think we're gonna see a "Is Zetterberg the most exciting player you've ever seen?" thread.

Personally I favor Zetterberg a bit over Dats but that's a personal taste kind of decision.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 11:29 PM
Datsyukian Dekes

Yes, very much so.

Datsyukian Dekes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 08:48 PM
Falkrik

Yes, he is.

I'm too young to have seen/remember Fedorov, Bure, etc.

Falkrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 11:02 PM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
Another Hasek fan. I believe there are more Hasek fans here.
Ya really, Hasek was my favorite player growing up, and it wasn't really close either until Datsyuk came onto the scene.

r0bert8841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 12:06 AM
Claypool

Fedorov. Lemieux.

Claypool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 09:00 PM
BamaWing

Datsyuk is by far my favorite player in Hockey right now and he's also my all time favorite along with Hasek.

Today- yes he's definitely up there and I think it's even underrated as far as the media coverage that AO, Crosby, etc. get compared to what Datsyuk gets.

All Time- I still think he's up there. He's no Gretzky, Lemieux, Jagr, etc but he's so exciting to watch a player that any team would want on their team.

BamaWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:56 PM
tfong

Bure #1 and Dats is #2 in my book of most fun players to watch

And this is while Bure already had suffered some injuries

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 12:07 AM
Muh
Beadle

Kind of off topic to what this thread title is about. But I just read a Q and A with Datsyuk on yahoosports webpage, was a really good read. I've always loved the way Datsyuk played from the 5-10 Detroit games I watch a year plus highlights. But he seems like a great guy. His answer to a guardian project question made me laugh too. Go wings, Go Rangers.

Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 04:40 AM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muh View Post
Kind of off topic to what this thread title is about. But I just read a Q and A with Datsyuk on yahoosports webpage, was a really good read. I've always loved the way Datsyuk played from the 5-10 Detroit games I watch a year plus highlights. But he seems like a great guy. His answer to a guardian project question made me laugh too. Go wings, Go Rangers.
Here's the interview.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-331052

14ari13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 12:06 PM
14ari13

There was another great move by Datsyuk last night.

Old
03-13-2011, 02:46 PM
Alpha190

I'm trying to find a Youtube video on the net. It involves Datsyuk from this season I think, where an analyst looks at his game and one of his moves where he goes down the ice on the left side in the offensive zone and has 2 players going after him. Then he just stops and you see those two players just pass by him and he makes a great pass to Kronwall who misses a great chance.

God that move was so sweet

Alpha190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 03:17 PM
Harold Snepsts

For me (as a biased wings fan) I'd say Yzerman in the 80s, Fedorov in the 90s, and Datsyuk now.

I half wonder if Z is as good as he is defensively because of screwing around after practice trying to get the puck away from Datsyuk. Compared to Pavel, most players must seem predictable. It's like swinging two bats before you step into the batters box.

Harold Snepsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 03:19 PM
redacted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha190 View Post
I'm trying to find a Youtube video on the net. It involves Datsyuk from this season I think, where an analyst looks at his game and one of his moves where he goes down the ice on the left side in the offensive zone and has 2 players going after him. Then he just stops and you see those two players just pass by him and he makes a great pass to Kronwall who misses a great chance.

God that move was so sweet

Starts at 0:27.

redacted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 04:49 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Snepsts View Post
I half wonder if Z is as good as he is defensively because of screwing around after practice trying to get the puck away from Datsyuk. Compared to Pavel, most players must seem predictable. It's like swinging two bats before you step into the batters box.
That'd be a great drill to use, that's for sure.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 05:13 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter Colt View Post

That game right there, even though he had only one point, is Pavel at his best. He by far the best player on the ice that game. Maybe on the planet!

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 05:39 PM
redacted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
That game right there, even though he had only one point, is Pavel at his best. He by far the best player on the ice that game. Maybe on the planet!
It was one of those games where you just stop to think how lucky you are to get to watch a guy like that. It's as if he just did whatever he wanted on the ice in that game.

redacted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 05:39 PM
14ari13

Quote:

I do not remember this game, but it was a lot of great moves by Datsyuk.

Old
03-13-2011, 05:49 PM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Dude,I'm not talking about forum poster. I'm talking about people in the Detroit area.

Datsyuk/zetterberg are nowhere near as well-known or as loved in metro Detroit as Yzerman, Fedorov and Shanahan were 10 years ago, or even as much as Darren McCarty was 10 years ago.

But speaking of forum posters, there are Wings fans who don't think have much respect for what he's already accomplished in his career. He's already an all-time great in Detroit hockey history, yet people don't view him as a guy who should have his jersey retired. "Maybe if he does it for another four years"
Well, that's what happens when you play for a team like Detroit that have had HOF-level franchise guys for most of the past 40 years. The standards for entering the Pantheon of great players in Detroit are a whole heckuva lot more stringent than they are for pretty much every other NHL team.

I mean, even at his position Detroit's had Yzerman and Fedorov and Delvecchio, not to mention the other amazing forwards like Howe or greats like Shanahan and Lindsay at forward (and maybe Zetterberg). Datsyuk could have a fantastic third act to his career and still not be any higher than 5th or 6th among Wings forwards, all-time.

It's hard to get up in those rafters. It should be. If this were Atlanta or Columbus or San Jose or wherever they would have retired his number and hung it twice already, just to get something up there.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 06:12 PM
Sentinel

Most Exciting: #1 Bure (the best skill-at-full-speed player ever), #2 Datsyuk, #3 Hasek, # 4 Jagr, # 5 Fedorov

Most Pleasant to Watch: #1 Fedorov #2 Datsyuk

Most Efficient: # 1 Gretzky # 2 Crosby. They just always got the job done.

I always thought Ovechkin is rather overrated, plus, he can hardly be called "difference-maker" when it really matters (save for that one Torino2006 goal).

As far as Fedorov vs. Datsyuk...

Fedorov was a more complete player because of his speed and shot. Datsyuk has better vision, better stickhandling, and is more creative. He also has better day-to-day work ethics (and humility). However, Datsyuk is a little easier to shut down in playoffs than Feds was. Fedorov was incredible in playoffs, when it mattered most. Unfortunately, spoiled DRW fans never cut him any slack. Hell, his goals in the Colorado-97 (series-winner), Dallas-98 (series-winner, iirc), and Colorado-02 (second goal in the Game 7) should have already put him in the HoF in fans' minds, but alas...

Datsyuk is also an extremely intelligent and funny guy, but his lack of English is against him. It is also true that DRW has not nearly done enough PR for this guy.

I also believe #8 (Larionov), #91, and eventually #13 should be retired. And I also believe the first two should already have been, before people forget who these players were. When NYR retired some 1950s guy's number, it was completely pointless, cause nobody remembers how he played.

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 06:59 PM
Alpha190

Quote:

Thank you!

Alpha190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 02:01 PM
lazerbullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
Well, that's what happens when you play for a team like Detroit that have had HOF-level franchise guys for most of the past 40 years. The standards for entering the Pantheon of great players in Detroit are a whole heckuva lot more stringent than they are for pretty much every other NHL team.

I mean, even at his position Detroit's had Yzerman and Fedorov and Delvecchio, not to mention the other amazing forwards like Howe or greats like Shanahan and Lindsay at forward (and maybe Zetterberg). Datsyuk could have a fantastic third act to his career and still not be any higher than 5th or 6th among Wings forwards, all-time.

It's hard to get up in those rafters. It should be. If this were Atlanta or Columbus or San Jose or wherever they would have retired his number and hung it twice already, just to get something up there.
I think that Datsyuk is already more important than Shanny ever was. Plus he is closing gap with Fedorov pretty fast.

Delvecchio was a great Wing for a long time and a captain. But he was a clear notch below Howe and Lindsay. Sawchuk and Kelly were also more important than him. So he was what 5th-best player on those Cup-winning teams?

I think Datsyuk should go up there. He has lead this team in scoring how many times? One of the best teams in the league. Datsyuk has two Cups and a whole bunch of hardware. He is one of the better players and THE two-way forward of his generation. Bar is very high, but not that high.

lazerbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 06:38 PM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Bure #1 and Dats is #2 in my book of most fun players to watch

And this is while Bure already had suffered some injuries
Funny, I've just watched a documentary about the Russian mafia and there was Pavel Bure playing tennis with the Russian mafia bosses in Paris. It was strange to see him in that context.

Old
03-17-2011, 04:13 PM
babcockscowl

Probably the Best Player in all of Hockey right now, there.... I said it

Last edited by babcockscowl: 03-17-2011 at 04:48 PM.
babcockscowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 10:31 AM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
Someone should make a thread with all of Datsyuk's moves, that we continually update. He has so many that it is hard to keep track of them all and remember.

r0bert8841 is offline   Reply With Quote