HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Datsyuk the most exciting player you have ever watched play?

Old
03-18-2011, 06:44 PM
Datsyukian Dekes

vCash: 500
^ that's a great idea.

Datsyukian Dekes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 12:15 AM
stubbadub

Not most of the time but a lot of the time.

stubbadub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 05:05 AM
RaySheppard

Just read the first couple pages and couldn't stomache all the Bure love. Why is he in the conversation? I think Mike Keenan put it best, when coaching the Florida Panthers he publicly called out Bure as a "selfish little suck"

The 1989 World Juniors in Alaska had maybe the best junior line ever with Mogilny/Federov/Bure.

Most exciting player to see....I really hate to say it...But saw Gretzky live in the 1991 Canada Cup in Hamilton. He had 3 assists in the first period alone and could of had six.

Honourable mention to Yzerman, again live. He got the hat trick vs. leafs in the first period on Saturday night at Maple Leaf Gardens in the early/mid nineties.

RaySheppard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 05:52 AM
Nordic*

Players today are more exciting than they were 20-30 years ago, but people let nostalgia cloud their minds as usual.

Datsyuk and a lot of other players today are capable of things that would make Gretzky, Orr etc. amazed.

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 02:45 PM
icKx
Subtle interference

Only when he's not on a line with Holmstrom.

icKx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 01:07 AM
RaySheppard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Players today are more exciting than they were 20-30 years ago, but people let nostalgia cloud their minds as usual.

Datsyuk and a lot of other players today are capable of things that would make Gretzky, Orr etc. amazed.
ok..........you sound all of 21..regardless, I always hated Gretzky just as I now hate Crosby. But the fact is Datsyuk isn't anywhere near Gretzky's level, or Paul Coffey's.

Old
03-21-2011, 04:04 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Datsyuk isn't anywhere near the level of Paul Coffey?

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 04:07 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySheppard View Post
ok..........you sound all of 21..regardless, I always hated Gretzky just as I now hate Crosby. But the fact is Datsyuk isn't anywhere near Gretzky's level, or Paul Coffey's.
I didn't think Gretzky was the most exciting player even of his era. I always felt Denis Savard, while not the best, was way more fun to watch.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 08:42 PM
Sentinel

We are not talking about Bure's selfishness. We are talking about him bringing arenas across the continent to their feet every time he touched the puck.

Today's players, with the exception of 4-5 of them, are nowhere near the spectacle that superstars of 80-90s were. No nostalgia here.

Oh, and "hating" Gretzky is just stupid.

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 08:59 PM
Ozz

Yzerman more exciting than Bure? There's no possible way we're all interpreting "exciting" in the same manner.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 03:18 AM
RaySheppard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Datsyuk isn't anywhere near the level of Paul Coffey?
Correct. Did you watch Coffey in his prime pre Detroit?

Old
03-23-2011, 03:21 AM
RaySheppard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
We are not talking about Bure's selfishness. We are talking about him bringing arenas across the continent to their feet every time he touched the puck.

Today's players, with the exception of 4-5 of them, are nowhere near the spectacle that superstars of 80-90s were. No nostalgia here.

Oh, and "hating" Gretzky is just stupid.
You're talking out of both sides of your mouth. Make a point.

Old
03-23-2011, 03:25 AM
RaySheppard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Yzerman more exciting than Bure? There's no possible way we're all interpreting "exciting" in the same manner.
If you consider "exciting" standing at the blue line and waiting for a pass while it's deep in your own end...that's your opinion.

Old
03-23-2011, 03:38 AM
Dr Van Nostrand
Banned

Lemieux, Jagr, Fedorov, Bure...

Though I would rate him top 10

Dr Van Nostrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 02:02 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Quote:
Correct. Did you watch Coffey in his prime pre Detroit?
Yes. He was exceptional, the best offensive defenseman in the league in more than one year. A case could be made for why he was better than Datsyuk, but Datsyuk being nowhere near his level? I can't agree with that, especially when considering the difference in both defenses and goaltending of the 80s vs. now. Coffey had it, way, way easier. If you were to transplant Datsyuk into the 80s, I think he'd easily be considered one of the top-5 players in the league, if not the best.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 02:12 PM
Hockeysemin

Hi i made a datsyuk video some week ago.. hope u enjoy it and Datsyuk definitely one of the most exciting player i ever watch

and a bonus 10 min show why we love russian hockey

Hockeysemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 04:17 PM
Ozz

Quote:
If you consider "exciting" standing at the blue line and waiting for a pass while it's deep in your own end...that's your opinion.
Yeah, ok. There's a reason Bure's name is mentioned probably more than Datsyuk's in a thread about Datsyuk.

Old
03-24-2011, 12:50 AM
Nordic*

Quote:
10 year olds can do stuff today that Coffey and Gretzky never even saw in their careers.

Gretzky was good, but hardly exciting - and Coffey skated fast, that's it...but I guess that could be exciting.

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 07:42 PM
tinPa

Yes he is or at least as exciting as anyone else. The magic of Dats is that he makes so artistic things on every single shift. I remember watching him when he was considered soft and one dimensional player, and already then I saw the potential that he hadn't yet reached.

tinPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 09:22 PM
JamieG

Not even close.

I'm taking it that a lot of people here were too young to have seen Yzerman play in the late 80's or early 90s.

Yzerman for the first half of his career (about 11 seasons) was more exciting than Fedorov or Datsyuk.

JamieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 09:28 PM
JamieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
I wish this displayed a poster's age. There's a reason why I don't comment or include players I never watched play in evaluations or comparisons. It's like judging a piece of art that you've never seen, only had it described to you.

Bure was awesome too for pure excitement, but I would put Yzerman above him. Again, Yzerman until 1994 was sheer excitement. He was the best one on one and his puck handling was amazing.

As for Bure, there is a reason why Bure used to say that the player he most admired when he first came to the NHL was Steve Yzerman. They both often scored similar type goals.

JamieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 11:05 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieG View Post
I wish this displayed a poster's age. There's a reason why I don't comment or include players I never watched play in evaluations or comparisons. It's like judging a piece of art that you've never seen, only had it described to you.

Bure was awesome too for pure excitement, but I would put Yzerman above him. Again, Yzerman until 1994 was sheer excitement. He was the best one on one and his puck handling was amazing.

As for Bure, there is a reason why Bure used to say that the player he most admired when he first came to the NHL was Steve Yzerman. They both often scored similar type goals.
I'm 29 so I missed Yzerman's early years, but I'd seen him here and there for 5 years prior to the 1994 cutoff date you gave. Sure he may have been more exciting to some people but that's a matter of opinion. I suppose mine saying Bure was more exciting was as well, but as they say "50 million Elvis fans can't be wrong". I'm not saying Yzerman wasn't exciting, and I'll even gladly say that Yzerman could (and did) do more and make more impressive plays. But on heart-elevating excitement, I still say it goes to Bure no matter how long we go back and forth.

Old
03-27-2011, 12:01 PM
name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
I didn't think Gretzky was the most exciting player even of his era. I always felt Denis Savard, while not the best, was way more fun to watch.
I was a big fan of Savard back in the day too. I remember writing a school paper on him or something (possibly even a letter to him, hard to remember).

The most exciting player to watch is not necessarily the best player. This concept is not exclusive to hockey; I'd much rather watch a Nick Diaz fight than a Georges St Pierre fight even though St Pierre is by far the superior fighter (MMA for those who don't know).

Datsyuk is definitely the most exciting player I have ever watched play. I was a huge Fedorov fan, but even when he was playing, I often thought Larionov came up with the slicker plays. Datsyuk is flashy like nobody I've ever seen.

name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 01:02 PM
Lainlight
Hands down AINEC

Of the active players he may be, but he has nothing on forsberg or bure

Lainlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:14 AM
RaySheppard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
10 year olds can do stuff today that Coffey and Gretzky never even saw in their careers.
Please post that on the main board.