HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Welcome Newbies: Islanders @ Capitals. 7PM. 3/1/2011

Old
03-01-2011, 12:18 PM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

vCash: 500
Welcome Newbies: Islanders @ Capitals. 7PM. 3/1/2011

Very interested to see if the new guys fit in right away.

TV: CSN-DC(HD)

Caps Lineup:

Not Steckel - Not Steckel - Not Steckel

Alzner/Carlson
Hannan/Wideman
Schultz/Erskine

blokeyhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:29 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
I will sturmly proclaim that we arnott going to lose with wideman on the ice.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Capitlols

5-3 Caps.

Arnott with a hat-trick, Sturm with one, Wideman with ppg. Wideman also on the ice for all 3 goals against.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:36 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
5-3 Caps.

Arnott with a hat-trick, Sturm with one, Wideman with ppg. Wideman also on the ice for all 3 goals against.
Cue the "Ovechkin and Semin were invisible!" crew.

QuadrupleDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:38 PM
Semin

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadrupleDeke View Post
Cue the "Ovechkin and Semin were invisible!" crew.
Semin with a hooking penalty and Ovechkin 1 assist and minus 1?

Semin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Capitlols

Btw can anyone confirm that all three(Sturm, Wideman, Arnott) will be in today?

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:46 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

I SAW that McPhee said all three would be in the lineup.

And I am looking forward to the ass line.

Old
03-01-2011, 12:47 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Btw can anyone confirm that all three(Sturm, Wideman, Arnott) will be in today?
Yep. From http://voices.washingtonpost.com/cap...ses-how-h.html

Quote:
More to come soon from Jason Arnott and Dennis Wideman, who will both debut for the Capitals tonight against the Islanders along with Marco Sturm.
Quote:
It sounds like Arnott will indeed center the second line, at least at the start of tonight's contest, with Alexander Semin on the right wing and possibly Marco Sturm on the left. Wideman will be paired with Scott Hannan, Boudreau said.

QuadrupleDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:47 PM
Blades of steel
log off.

Mmm fresh blood

Blades of steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:04 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Really though, who is Bruce kidding when he says Hannan is our most vocal leader on defense. He is clearly our only vocal leader on defense. I will go as far to say only leader, period. The kids are just that. Sarge, maybe in a few years. Erskine, its not his thing.

Seeing Erskine and Sarge paired should be fun. You know damn well Erskine will be the one lugging the puck to center of the two. I look for lots of those slapshot passes to the far blue / icing plays.

Old
03-01-2011, 01:09 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Always interesting to see the next game after the trade deadline when when a few new players come in. At least it is the Isles though they have been playing better. I would not be surprised if the team struggles a bit as the new players get adapted but we'll see.

03-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Really though, who is Bruce kidding when he says Hannan is our most vocal leader on defense. He is clearly our only vocal leader on defense. I will go as far to say only leader, period. The kids are just that. Sarge, maybe in a few years. Erskine, its not his thing.

Seeing Erskine and Sarge paired should be fun. You know damn well Erskine will be the one lugging the puck to center of the two. I look for lots of those slapshot passes to the far blue / icing plays.
I think you are massively underselling Schultz's passing, as do many on here. Schultz without Green is a much better passer than Schultz with Green, as Green is kind of a security blanket for Schultz, to the detriment of his game sometimes.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:14 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
I think you are massively underselling Schultz's passing, as do many on here. Schultz without Green is a much better passer than Schultz with Green, as Green is kind of a security blanket for Schultz, to the detriment of his game sometimes.
Other than the stretch pass to Semin/ovechkin/some other loafer at the red line, I really don't see it. I don't know that I've seen him make a pass to a forward in stride all season.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:19 PM
txpd

vogel just offered that the first line will be 8-19-18. that will be interesting to watch.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:21 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
I actually don't bust on him for that. It is the skating more that I was trying to reference in my post. You are right though, he is a good passer for a defensive guy. You actually helped open my eyes to it. Since his skating is the weakest part of his game, his existence in the NHL must be in large part to his passing, right? otherwise anytime he touched the puck, all he could do is clear to center.

The part about the slapshot pass to the center red or blue or to a streaking Chimera, is nothing new. We did that with Eminger Erskine back in the Philly playoff series. Tipped by a guy at center ice so it wasnt icing. And we are doing it much more often, and not just in our bottom pair. Its a way to relieve pressure. The old school icing is being used more often than I can remember in the past 5+ years.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 03-01-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old
03-01-2011, 01:32 PM
capsfan528

4-1 caps

OVI x 2
BACKY
ARNY

cant wait to see arnott in a caps uniform as i have liked the guy for years!!!

go caps

capsfan528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:34 PM
Foy

Honestly? Schultz is in the NHL for 2 things

1. Being tall
2. Not being stupid.

He kills penalties pretty well. I'm not going to say he's awesome at it, but he's pretty solid it at it, and that's because of his reach. It's certainly not because he has good recovery speed.

He makes the less stupid play. I'm not saying he makes the right play every time or anything, but he seems to be pretty good at either finding the open guy going up ice in the neutral zone, or just bouncing off the glass up the ice if he gets in trouble. He reached such a comfort zone with Green the last few years that every time he got into trouble he'd just give it to #52. This wasn't always the smartest move, and if anything his comfort level has hindered his development a little.

Yes, Jeff Schultz is really slow. But that's common for tall players. It's the tradeoff you have for his long reach, I guess. I have noticed that as he's gotten older, he's gotten better about knowing when to try to hold the offensive zone. Sometimes this means he gets beat on a transition play at his own blue line as opposed to the far blue line, so be it. If he holds out on a quick play a little longer, it gives other guys a chance to get back in play and at least pick up the trailer.

Old
03-01-2011, 01:37 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Random story about Arnott. My buddy somehow won a chance to do one of the intermission shootouts at Verizon. We were playing the Devils. He needed a big right twig and snatched Arnott's off the bench to use. He didn't win, but yep he drunkenly made it back to our seats with Arnotts twig.

Old
03-01-2011, 01:40 PM
Funkyalligator

I'd also like to say that Schultz has upped his physical game this year....while upping means adding just a tiny bit...he has certainly done that...plus he has been taking guys to the board and just pinning them there a great deal more...it remains to be seen if this will become a staple part of his game but he needs to make sure it does.

Funkyalligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:43 PM
EroCaps

Sturm w/Ovy and Backstrom intrigues me. The last fast, smart, veteran wing Ovechkin played with was Chris Clark and he made him a 30 goal scorer. Sturm is better.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:43 PM
Funkyalligator

So a top two lines of:

Sturm, Backy, Ovie

Semin, Arnott, Knuble

Him well that should certainly be interesting to watch.

Also Wideman with Hannan.

The new guys are certainly getting thrown into the thick of things.

Funkyalligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:44 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyalligator View Post
I'd also like to say that Schultz has upped his physical game this year....while upping means adding just a tiny bit...he has certainly done that...plus he has been taking guys to the board and just pinning them there a great deal more...it remains to be seen if this will become a staple part of his game but he needs to make sure it does.
It almost seems to me like he's more or less mastered the basics of playing his type of game as far as positioning (he's certainly screening the goalie a lot less), and blocking shots and things like that, and he's been looking to add things to his game. I think everyone loved the clearout he had on the play where Green took the slapper to the head.

and for the record, I don't think Schultz is some amazing defender, but I think he's learning to be the best player he can be, given his tools and mindset. Not everyone is capable physically and/or mentally of being the #1 shutdown d-man. If Schultz develops into a solid #3 type d-man, I'm quite happy with him at his current pay.

Old
03-01-2011, 01:53 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Sarge has definitely been making strides towards being more aggressive and physical. It would seem watching Erksine Alzner and Hannan is rubbing off on him, he is pinning guys now.

I joke about Backstrom having fat cat disease, I wonder if Sarge didnt get the bug. I havent been impressed with Sarge pretty much the entire season. He hit the jackpot, good for him. But as so often happens, you ink a big deal and your play slips a little bit. What i didnt like is such a long deal gives him little incentive to improve his game. Just do the exact same thing and get 4x3.5M next time around.

Old
03-01-2011, 01:56 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Sarge has definitely been making strides towards being more aggressive and physical. It would seem watching Erksine Alzner and Hannan is rubbing off on him, he is pinning guys now.

I joke about Backstrom having fat cat disease, I wonder if Sarge didnt get the bug. I havent been impressed with Sarge pretty much the entire season. He hit the jackpot, good for him. But as so often happens, you ink a big deal and your play slips a little bit. What i didnt like is such a long deal gives him little incentive to improve his game. Just do the exact same thing and get 4x3.5M next time around.
what you call "fat cat disease" I call "pulling a mogilny" and yes, there were signs of it from Schultz the first half of the season, but since Christmas he's put it together. I don't think he was that great the first month or so of the season, but the team was winning so no one cared.

Old
03-01-2011, 01:57 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

im glad BB isnt putting strum and arnott on the same line. I was worried about having 2 new players stuck with semin. Atleast we should have some chemistry on every forward line.

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote