HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Welcome Newbies: Islanders @ Capitals. 7PM. 3/1/2011

Old
03-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Roccoman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
im glad BB isnt putting strum and arnott on the same line. I was worried about having 2 new players stuck watching Semin try to dangle all 5 defenders, lose the puck, then hook someone. Atleast we should have some chemistry on every forward line.
Semin needs to pass the puck to someone not wearing 8,19 or 52... i hope Arnott verbally ***** slaps him for not giving up the biscuit like he is wont to do.

Roccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:21 PM
Roccoman

database error / double post / apocalypse

Old
03-01-2011, 02:29 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
I think you are massively underselling Schultz's passing, as do many on here. Schultz without Green is a much better passer than Schultz with Green, as Green is kind of a security blanket for Schultz, to the detriment of his game sometimes.
I think Schultz's 8 assists do more underselling of his passing than any talk on here.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:42 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I think Schultz's 8 assists do more underselling of his passing than any talk on here.
Well if that is the criteria for determining who can and can't pass the puck on the defense then I guess Carlson is the only one as non PP assist numbers for the rest are 11, 8, 8, 7, 5, 4, and 2. Impressive...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Roccoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Well if that is the criteria for determining who can and can't pass the puck on the defense then I guess Carlson is the only one as non PP assist numbers for the rest are 11, 8, 8, 7, 5, 4, and 2. Impressive...
correct me if i'm wrong but dont you only get assists when someone scores a goal? a semi rare thing for this squad...

Old
03-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Foy

Quote:
So Alzner is a horrible passer as well? After all, Alzner has 8 helpers in 9 more games played than Schultz.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:47 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Well, in general, the passing from the defense sucks. There are two healthy puck-movers.

Edit: There have been two healthy puck-movers for most of the season.

Old
03-01-2011, 02:51 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
So Alzner is a horrible passer as well? After all, Alzner has 8 helpers in 9 more games played than Schultz.
You're seriously comparing a player with 114 career games to one with 300?

Look, I admire your staunch defense of Schultz, but he's got no excuses any more.

He's decently accurate on outlet passes. But he's got zero ability to skate the puck up the ice, no creativity in his passing, and his hands are too slow to do anything other than dump the puck in the corner in the offensive zone.

Old
03-01-2011, 02:52 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Well, in general, the passing from the defense sucks. There are two healthy puck-movers.
Yeah one of them, Green, has 11 non PP assists in 49 games. Schultz has 8 in 54 games. Last year Schultz had 20. Could he pass then and got worse or something?

Old
03-01-2011, 02:52 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Always interesting to see the next game after the trade deadline when when a few new players come in. At least it is the Isles though they have been playing better. I would not be surprised if the team struggles a bit as the new players get adapted but we'll see.
maybe but I always feel there SHOULD be an injection of energy when reinforcements arrive. Its not like a Zednik/Bulis departure or a Chris Clark departure. Maybe Steckel was that valuable to the locker room but I think it should work to our advantage.

Lets face it..the big problem with the Caps this entire year is that they don't always bring their A+ game to start with. Hopefully fresh vet faces will help that.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:54 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Yeah one of them, Green, has 11 non PP assists in 49 games. Schultz has 8 in 54 games. Last year Schultz had 20. Could he pass then and got worse or something?
I would aver that in general, he is worse this year than last.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:55 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
He's decently accurate on outlet passes. But he's got zero ability to skate the puck up the ice, no creativity in his passing, and his hands are too slow to do anything other than dump the puck in the corner in the offensive zone.
Which has been what he was advertised as since day one, a defensive defensman who makes a decent first pass out of the zone.

Old
03-01-2011, 02:56 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Prior to this season, Green had 38, 42, and 57 assists. Those are elite totals for a defensman. Hell, 57 assists is an elite total for a forward.

Schultz's passing ability didn't change. The team's offense did.

Old
03-01-2011, 02:56 PM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

vCash: 2714
This is the perfect game where you think we will be high energy and ready to go. One lame duck goal by the islanders and our team will be deflated, the fans probably booing too.

An old theory of mine: bet against a team that just made a trade, bet for a team that just made a coaching change. And bet on the new guy to score a goal (less common in the modern era).

That said, I think Sturm gets some Ovi trash for one tonight.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:57 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Which has been what he was advertised as since day one, a defensive defensman who makes a decent first pass out of the zone.
That's all fine and dandy, until the defensive part falls apart. Then you've got a pylon with a decent first pass out of the zone.

Old
03-01-2011, 02:58 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I would aver that in general, he is worse this year than last.
Like the rest of the team then...

Old
03-01-2011, 02:58 PM
Vladiator16*
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
vogel just offered that the first line will be 8-19-18. that will be interesting to watch.
Didnít know we got ourselves a 1st line player in mr. Sturm... well, as we all know its for 2 or 3 shifts anyway.
4-1 Caps. OV shows new guys what he can do.

Vladiator16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:01 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Like the rest of the team then...
3 of our regular 6 dmen are substantially better than they were last year. But yes, Schultz is among those contributing to a far weaker team than we had a year ago. Bully for him.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:03 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Prior to this season, Green had 38, 42, and 57 assists. Those are elite totals for a defensman. Hell, 57 assists is an elite total for a forward.

Schultz's passing ability didn't change. The team's offense did.
Green had 32 non PP assists last year, Schultz 20. All things considered that isn't a huge difference.

You are the one that said Schultz's 8 assists shows he can't pass. I am just putting that number in perspective as nobody else besides Carlson has appreciably more non PP assists, even the great Mike Green...

Old
03-01-2011, 03:04 PM
Foy

Schultz flat out stunk from the start of the season until he got hurt. I feel like he has regained some of his game since he came back, and he is generally doing better. I wonder if switching up his defensive partners has helped him rediscover some of his game, almost as if he was in a rut playing with #52 all the time. Going out there and playing with Erskine, Hannon and TFS makes him act and react in ways he's not used to doing, which can be painful in the short term, but is hopefully beneficial in the long term.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:07 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Green had 32 non PP assists last year, Schultz 20. All things considered that isn't a huge difference.

You are the one that said Schultz's 8 assists shows he can't pass. I am just putting that number in perspective as nobody else besides Carlson has appreciably more non PP assists, even the great Mike Green...
PP assists still count. I don't know why you're dismissing them.

And Mike Green has 37.5% more non-PP assists than Schultz. I'd say that's appreciably more.

Old
03-01-2011, 03:09 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Sure would be nice to see the team come out an put in a dominant showing. 5-2 Caps.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:09 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
3 of our regular 6 dmen are substantially better than they were last year. But yes, Schultz is among those contributing to a far weaker team than we had a year ago. Bully for him.
Along with the 4 highest paid guys on the team but yeah Schultz is the one bringing the whole ship down. Schultz's level of blame fits right in with Laich and Knuble IMO.

Old
03-01-2011, 03:11 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

What the **** are we arguing about? Jeff Schultz and his prolific passing? Really?

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:11 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
PP assists still count. I don't know why you're dismissing them.

And Mike Green has 37.5% more non-PP assists than Schultz. I'd say that's appreciably more.
Yeah because if Schultz had 11 assists we wouldn't be having this discussion...