HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Barnaby (CHI), Laperriere (Avs), Ritchie and Simon (Flames) Sign

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2004, 04:43 PM
KingofSpain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield
I agree. Ritchie is in no-way a replacement for Conroy. Instead of Lombardi or Nilson taking his place, I would bank on Reinprecht if the Flames don't sign anyone else.

Oops! What a brainfart, I was thinking back about the playoff lines, and totally forgot Reinprecht. Agree, he will be the number 1 center if Conroy leaves, and maybe even if he doesn't

Old
07-02-2004, 04:50 PM
HellsBells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopeli
8 goals. That says it all.
Look at the stats all you want but anyone with knowledge of the game knows that Craig Conroy's worth is more on the defensive side of things. His offensive ability is just a bonus, as it was for the Flames the past few years.

You underrate Conroy big-time !!

Old
07-02-2004, 04:52 PM
KingofSpain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopeli
8 goals. That says it all.
Oh, did you forget his 39 assists? Or that he was 5th in playoff scoring? Or that he is a team leader? Or his Selke level defensive play?

If Draper can get $2.8 million and Madden $4 million, then Conroy is worth $3 million.

Old
07-02-2004, 04:52 PM
HellsBells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Demon

Oops! What a brainfart, I was thinking back about the playoff lines, and totally forgot Reinprecht. Agree, he will be the number 1 center if Conroy leaves, and maybe even if he doesn't
Don't worry, even hardcore Flames fans like myself forget about Reinprecht sometimes. He hasn't even gotten his feet wet with the Flames yet.

I can't wait.

Old
07-02-2004, 05:03 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL
tony granato strikes again, i can almost guarantee him and lappy are good friends.
THat's the problem with having such a young coach, everyone thinks that because he played with so and so, that he's good friends with him. And even then, look what it did for Selanne. I personally think that Lacroix might have stronger ties to Laperriere than Granato. After all, Tony G and Lappy only played 10 games together.

Old
07-02-2004, 05:08 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Oh, did you forget his 39 assists? Or that he was 5th in playoff scoring? Or that he is a team leader? Or his Selke level defensive play?

If Draper can get $2.8 million and Madden $4 million, then Conroy is worth $3 million.
He's not worth 3 million to the Flames. He's less suited to playing 1st line centre than Reinprecht. I'd love him back and he was pretty good for us but we can't afford to pay him more than around 2 million.

Old
07-02-2004, 05:09 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

For being such a player GM, Pierre Lacroix has made some very tight and fiscally responsible FA signings. Boughner and Gratton deserve to be on this list as well. Nice job PL.....I'm not surprised that he made good moves, I'm just surprised that he has been active on teh FA front and still managed to undery pay these players what they likely would have made.

07-02-2004, 05:17 PM
Onion Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
Then why did we have to qualify him?
It's a technicality. If you don't qualify him he becomes UFA, but if you qualify him he can choose to become Group V UFA. Either way he becomes unrestricted, but now he's used up his Group V eligibility.

Old
07-02-2004, 08:14 PM
NJ_Devil_Boy

vCash: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsfan09
Didnt NJ offer him like $8 mil to stay?
Well, they had to try to match the Rangers offer to stay competitive...

Old
07-02-2004, 09:17 PM
GaryU

Just a couple of questions. Is Reinprecht really a 1st liner??? I always thought he was 2nd-3rd at best. Just asking.
Doesn't Conroy fit better? I mean they already know what he brings.

Old
07-02-2004, 09:23 PM
punkorama

Quote:

Draper is far better than Conroy. Put Draper on a line with Iggy and he would have 39 assists as well as at least 15+ goals. Plus Draper is far superior on defense.

Draper=$2.8mil:Conroy=$2.2mil max

Madden is just overpayed

Old
07-03-2004, 12:28 PM
TomWaits

why did barnaby sign with Chi?

Just curious is anyone has any insight or a link to an article explaining why? I though being an Ott boy and him being a fit there that he might have gone there? I also heard that he was offered a deal with the Avs but he turned that down, what it a money thing or playing time?

Did he go to Chi to be traded at the deadline to a contender?

Is there anyone else that you think Chicago is going to go after?

thank you in advance

TomWaits

Old
07-03-2004, 12:31 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomWaits
Just curious is anyone has any insight or a link to an article explaining why? I though being an Ott boy and him being a fit there that he might have gone there? I also heard that he was offered a deal with the Avs but he turned that down, what it a money thing or playing time?

thank you in advance

TomWaits
I dont know why he didnt go to Ottawa or another team in the northeast like i thought he might but he wasnt going back to Colorado as long as Granato was still behind the bench no matter what the contract offer.

Old
07-03-2004, 12:57 PM
Mathias
Fighting Aficionado

Quote:
Some rumors claims the Hawks are after Paul Kariya. I doubt he will sign in Chicago, but you never know.

Old
07-03-2004, 01:02 PM
Mathias
Fighting Aficionado

Quote:
Just curious is anyone has any insight or a link to an article explaining why?
Here is a quote from Barnaby taken from The Hawks website.

"I am very excited to be coming to the Blackhawks," said Matthew Barnaby. "I actually thought I might be drafted by the Blackhawks in my draft year. The Chicago fans are incredible, the uniforms are the best in hockey, and my family and I love the city.

"I have never changed the way I play the game. I have always been an in-your-face type of player. I hope I can become a fan favorite in Chicago. I'm excited about coming to a team that I feel is going in the right direction."

Of course he could just sweet talk the team and the town, in order to get som fans. But thats what he said anyway.

Old
07-03-2004, 01:03 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Probert #24
Some rumors claims the Hawks are after Paul Kariya. I doubt he will sign in Chicago, but you never know.
Even if they signed two Paul Kariyas they are still not a playoff team. Barnaby made a bad decision IMO. At his age he should want to go a team that might actually have a chance at the playoffs. Chicago does not.

Old
07-03-2004, 01:03 PM
Tap on the Ankle
expert analysis

Ah, so the key to attracting free agents is good uniforms.

Old
07-03-2004, 01:42 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Why do people always assume that players' career-long ambition is to return to their birthplace? It's a theory that appears ad nauseam at free agency time.

My bet is that the Blackhawks have a promising farm system coming along nicely, and Barnaby would likely be a favorite, seeing eye to eye with a Sutter in terms of playing style. I can see a bit of a fit there. Maybe no one else was offering the same kind of term, either. Three years is pretty good in this day and age.

Last edited by Drake1588: 07-03-2004 at 01:48 PM.
Old
07-03-2004, 01:46 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

My guess is...

1) MONEY

2) MONEY

3) Playing for a hardnosed coach that will utilize him

Old
07-03-2004, 01:46 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

It wasn't for money or guaranteed years, as the Avs offered a longer deal and more money per year (about 400k more reportedly) to Barnaby to remain with them....

He must have really liked Chicago and really disliked Colorado...

Old
07-03-2004, 01:52 PM
Moskau

How many times do I have to say that Barnaby will NOT go to Ottawa with Hasek there.

Good god.

Old
07-03-2004, 01:58 PM
DJ Spinoza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588
My bet is that the Blackhawks have a promising farm system coming along nicely, and Barnaby would likely be a favorite, seeing eye to eye with a Sutter in terms of playing style. I can see a bit of a fit there. Maybe no one else was offering the same kind of term, either. Three years is pretty good in this day and age.
I agree 100%. If you look at the players the Hawks have currently, just drafted, and are picking up in Barnaby and Brown, it's pretty clear what kind of game they are looking to play. An in your face physical game. And if I know Banraby enough, he likes this way of playing.

I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that Chicago could make the playoffs in a few years, the one kink is fixing up the defense a little bit. They have a core of young players who are pretty promising, and added some warriors in Barnaby and Brown.

I think Barnaby went to the Hawks in part because he likes the city as he says, and in part because he feels the way they are headed fits his game, which I think is true.

Old
07-03-2004, 02:35 PM
Teemu

Heres what we came up with in chat yesterday...

- Its a long term contract with an impending work stoppage

- It's worth pretty nice money, too

- The Blackhawks are (theoretically) on the rise

- Chicago is a great city to live in.

- He plays a Sutter-esque game

- Absolutely NO media pressure

Old
07-03-2004, 02:40 PM
TomWaits

Loren get back to work

bk

Old
07-03-2004, 02:45 PM
c-carp

Quote:

thank you in advance

TomWaits
I think that is a good move by Barnaby he is a Brian Sutter type player and should enjoy it as much as his time in Buffalo. Also the Hawk fans as a rule love physical hockey.

Closed Thread