HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vigneault - Fourth line won't see an increase in playing time

Old
03-01-2011, 05:28 PM
Wetcoaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballhofflerhuis View Post
Sedins not getting enough ice time! Vigneault is a horrible coach!

Kesler Getting too much ice time and will be tired! Vigneault is a horrible coach!

4th line not getting enough ice time! Vigneault is a horrible coach!

No matter what Vigneault do there's always some whining.
Remember never allow logic and facts to get in the way of a good rant.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Wonder if that's cast in stone.

I just realized why I'm always associating AV with the expression "cast in stone": his nickname

or perhaps it should be cast in granite

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 05:52 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatoe1 View Post
Funny to hear this coming from the same coach who played Ryan Johnson about 11mpg the past 2 years.....
There was no Malhotra the last two years.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 06:45 PM
Lz68

Make sense, I bet some of the players like Kesler and Burrows time might get cut back a bit on the penalty kill because of the additions though.

Lz68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

One thing to note that I just found out is that Lapierre has never really been used much as a PK forward. Averages in the 20-30 second per game range, which means he probably has only been used when other PK forwards are in the box. Considering his faceoff skills and third/fourth line grinder status I find this pretty surprising. Maybe his defensive skills aren't that great? I don't know, I'm just very curious now...

Waveburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 07:10 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

I can see Kesler/Burr's minutes drop when Higgins is back and proves he's a very capable PKer on our team.

Does anyone know if Lappy plays on the PK for either the Habs or Ducks?

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 07:16 PM
HeadLikeAnOrange*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindgren View Post
I disagree with the Vigneault plan. It doesn't make sense to me not to cut back on Kesler's minutes over the last 20 games, as well as the Sedins. Doing so would not be failing to "reward" the players responsible for the Canucks' success; the opposite is true. Give a few more minutes to the fourth line, making them better prepared for the playoffs. Rest a few key guys. If it means a couple more losses and a slide from first to second or even third in the conference, it's worth it if the best players are fresher when the second season begins.
The difference between finishing 1st and 2nd or 3rd is a big deal.

The conference winner gets a huge carrot by finishing first since they are guaranteed not to have to play either of the other division winners until the conference finals.

If the playoffs started today we wouldn't have to face Detroit or San Jose until at least the 3rd round of the playoffs.

HeadLikeAnOrange* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 07:56 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
I can see Kesler/Burr's minutes drop when Higgins is back and proves he's a very capable PKer on our team.

Does anyone know if Lappy plays on the PK for either the Habs or Ducks?
As my post above states, this season and last season he has been averaging just 20-30 seconds of PK time. So only when other PK forwards are in the box, basically. However in 2008-09 Lapierre averaged just under 2 minutes per game of PK time. So he does have more experience than I thought and should be able to absorb some minutes there. Teach me to backtrack the stats more than one season.

Waveburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 08:11 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

He averaged 0:54 per game killing penalties for the Ducks. Canucks with comparable numbers are Tanner Glass and Mason Raymond.

His GA/60 with the Ducks shorthanded is near identical to Glass, except he did it with worse teammates (ie. on a worse PK).

Last edited by R0bert0 Lu0ng0: 03-01-2011 at 08:17 PM.
R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 08:41 PM
Catamarca Livin

Higgins was a very good on the pk in Montreal he should be the fifth penalty killer on Vancouver after Kesler Burrows Malhortra Hansen. Just because Kesler can play in every situation does not mean you have to play him in every situation. If Kesler plays a couple minutes a night less maybe he can throw bodychecks abit more consistently. That is something i want to see from Malhortra as well. They seem to only throw checks against Detroit or when another team upsets them. Do not take yourself out of position, finish check when you have a chance. AV will do what he wants but it is nice to have options to discuss. If everyone is healthy there is not one inexperienced player playing. Everyone on the playoff roster other than the backup goalie will have had atleast 3 years of experience in the NHL.

Catamarca Livin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 09:03 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveburner View Post
One thing to note that I just found out is that Lapierre has never really been used much as a PK forward. Averages in the 20-30 second per game range, which means he probably has only been used when other PK forwards are in the box. Considering his faceoff skills and third/fourth line grinder status I find this pretty surprising. Maybe his defensive skills aren't that great? I don't know, I'm just very curious now...
Lapierre played 1:32 a game on the PK in '07-08 and was only on the ice for 7 goals against in 53 games. Very good numbers.

Unfortunately the next year's PK unit he was a part of, stunk. 24 goals against playing 1:58 a game over 79 games. Those are terrible numbers.

'09-10 didn't look any better for Lapierre on the PK. Played even fewer minutes with worse results.

Hopefully Vigneault can help this part of his game. He has the tools to be a good penalty killer and the coaches have done a nice job teaching the forwards the defensive side of things. Won't hurt taking faceoffs and practicing with Malhotra and Kesler a lot either.

I think the Lapierre deal goes down as a very good one.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 01:56 AM
Toni Porkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballhofflerhuis View Post
Sedins not getting enough ice time! Vigneault is a horrible coach!

Kesler Getting too much ice time and will be tired! Vigneault is a horrible coach!

4th line not getting enough ice time! Vigneault is a horrible coach!
Sounds like upset parents in pee wee hockey.

Toni Porkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 02:09 AM
David71

now a.v has options to put on the pk. replace kesler with higgins/lappy. I don't want kesler risking hurting himself. hes too important to the team. Let HIM concentrate on his offense. the other guys can do the dirty work for him. because if the nucks are gonna go far. the top 6 especially the 2nd line kesler has to produce and be productive. burrows/lappy 2nd unit? 2 frenchmen on the same unit.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 02:22 AM
CamronGiles*

I am kind of scared... the third line isnt a concern to me but sedins have to get back to creating same with kesler. I want AV to roll 4 lines and see if lappy higgins etc can score but today the make shift line was caught sometimes and had a good shift or two so the jury remains when were fully healthy.

CamronGiles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 11:54 PM
Tom.H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
But if he can't handle it who would want him?
I can think of about 29 other teams that would.

Tom.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 12:12 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

If Higgins can replace one of Kesler or Burrows on the PK, I'd like to see Kesler playing less on the PK to conserve his energy for EV/PP.

Burrows on the other hand can be replaced by Samuelsson after his PK shifts, which is what AV has been doing.

Malhotra - Hansen
Burrows - Higgins/Raymond
Glass/Lappy - Higgins/Raymond

Looks fine to me TBH - just need to make sure our 3rd PK unit doesn't face opponent top lines. Would probably need to play Kesler against a team like Tampa since they keep their top liners in for most of the PK.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 04:15 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
I'm not sure why they'd acquire Lapierre and Higgins then, if the 4th line isn't going to play more... doesn't that make this trade kind of redundant if you can't even get Kesler's minutes back to about 20 minutes or less? What's the point? Does AV want to burn him out before the playoffs??

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 05:11 PM
DrChill

I am hoping that as AV is comfortable with Lappy and Higgins they both get PK time and our regulars get some rest. As people have said the sedin bros are looking tired and there passes of late have not been up to expectation. Kind if like the teams inconsistent play over the last 10 games.

Rest would be good but I want everyone sharp and to keep the winning attitude. U never want them to start playing and not caring about winning just to rest. Thy builds bad habits .

DrChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 06:06 PM
Sedinery2011

i think not rolling the 4th line is a huge mistake. stupid AV.

Sedinery2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 07:05 PM
Pump n Dump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamarca Livin View Post
Higgins was a very good on the pk in Montreal he should be the fifth penalty killer on Vancouver after Kesler Burrows Malhortra Hansen. Just because Kesler can play in every situation does not mean you have to play him in every situation. If Kesler plays a couple minutes a night less maybe he can throw bodychecks abit more consistently. That is something i want to see from Malhortra as well. They seem to only throw checks against Detroit or when another team upsets them. Do not take yourself out of position, finish check when you have a chance. AV will do what he wants but it is nice to have options to discuss. If everyone is healthy there is not one inexperienced player playing. Everyone on the playoff roster other than the backup goalie will have had atleast 3 years of experience in the NHL.
Except Tanner Glass. (edit: sorry - didn't notice the 44 games with the Panthers - then again, does that count?)

Last edited by Pump n Dump: 03-03-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Pump n Dump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 07:12 PM
Pump n Dump

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinOwnage2011 View Post
I think AV may be challenging the new guys a bit - why assume the 4th line is any better than it was until it proves it?

Pump n Dump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 08:30 PM
deckercky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Fifty View Post
Except Tanner Glass. (edit: sorry - didn't notice the 44 games with the Panthers - then again, does that count?)
That experience with the Panthers is part of what makes him a true Canuck!

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 11:27 PM
jammyrft

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinOwnage2011 View Post

Why would you, Glass is a near AHL'er, Lappy deosn't know our system and Tambo is so far from a typical 4th line player it's laughable. For Glass and our 4th to be effective he needs physical help. for 4-6 minutes a game AV should keep a little bit of size in the lineup and dress OREO. Higgins can't come fast enough, god love Hansen but we need experience/offensive help. Besides the PK Hansen is near invisible out there and Tambo hasn't been effective in literally 4 months it's time for change

jammyrft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:48 AM
Kagee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Alain Vigneault's plan for the fourth line seems unchanged despite the addition of Lapierre and Higgins:

"There's only a few minutes available on that (fourth) line," Vigneault said. "If Hank (Henrik Sedin) is playing 18-20 and Kes (Ryan Kesler) is playing 20-22 and Manny (Malhotra) is playing 15, then there is five, six minutes available."

"That's what you get when you play on a fourth line, now. (Lapierre) is aware of that, he understands that. He's gonna be an effective player when he's playing those minutes for us."
The way Hank/Kes are playing right now, the 4th line SHOULD be getting a bit more ice time for energy purposes, and to keep Hank/Kes fresh for the big show!

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 01:48 AM
alternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammyrft View Post
Why would you, Glass is a near AHL'er, Lappy deosn't know our system and Tambo is so far from a typical 4th line player it's laughable. For Glass and our 4th to be effective he needs physical help. for 4-6 minutes a game AV should keep a little bit of size in the lineup and dress OREO. Higgins can't come fast enough, god love Hansen but we need experience/offensive help. Besides the PK Hansen is near invisible out there and Tambo hasn't been effective in literally 4 months it's time for change
I don't think anyone really questions that Oreo would be on the 4th instead of Tambo, but the league wants Gillis to at least pretend there's a salary cap.

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote