HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Is it time to move Mike Green? (aka the hat0r thread)

Closed Thread

Old
05-06-2011, 03:15 PM
Semin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
Im not sure if this is what you are saying but if it is I disagree.....

the idea that if Backstrom was on his game that they would have won is just not flying with me. They got swept....outplayed, as a team, in the 3rd period the first three games. This isnt because a player was off......they were outplayed and out coached.
Couldn't agree more with this.

Old
05-06-2011, 04:18 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Backstrom on his game is at least a point per game player. Ovechkin on his playoff game is a point-and-a-half per game player. That's another 1-2 goals a game just coming from the top line, not to mention whatever the trickle-down effect would have on the rest of the team's confidence as well as Tampa's defensive coverage.

Old
05-06-2011, 05:41 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Backstrom on his game is at least a point per game player. Ovechkin on his playoff game is a point-and-a-half per game player. That's another 1-2 goals a game just coming from the top line, not to mention whatever the trickle-down effect would have on the rest of the team's confidence as well as Tampa's defensive coverage.
you could post your entire life and not have a better chance to use a movie quote.....thank you Bill Paxton

"Hey, maybe you haven't been keeping up on current events, but we just got our ***** kicked, pal!"

Old
05-06-2011, 05:47 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
you could post your entire life and not have a better chance to use a movie quote.....thank you Bill Paxton

"Hey, maybe you haven't been keeping up on current events, but we just got our ***** kicked, pal!"
You're missing the point. The point is that Backstrom and Ovechkin down was the biggest issue with the team. If they weren't, they could have compensated plenty for areas in which the team was lackluster.

Priority #1 should be figuring out their issues.

Old
05-06-2011, 06:04 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
You're missing the point. The point is that Backstrom and Ovechkin down was the biggest issue with the team. If they weren't, they could have compensated plenty for areas in which the team was lackluster.

There are a lot of players who were off their regular season pace in the playoffs no?

Old
05-06-2011, 06:08 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Priority #1 should be a functional offense overall. Dominance from two players will only take them so far anyway.

Old
05-06-2011, 06:27 PM
ForzaItalia

Just look at Tampa's third line and what they did. We need a line like that.

Old
05-06-2011, 06:40 PM
Mothra

Quote:

no...i get it, if 8 and 19 played great.....they would have scored a lot more goals, the rest of the team would have felt great and also played better. At the same time, things like bad line changes, dumb penalties, poor coverage, more bad line changes....these things wouldnt have happened. Again, at the same time....TB would have started doubting themselves, gotten worn down due to digging the puck out of thier net....and so on.....

in other words, if the Caps would have played a lot better it would have been at least a close series.....that about right?

Old
05-06-2011, 08:52 PM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

vCash: 520
Quote:

Can we start with Discipline, Structure or hockey IQ?

The things you get from a good coach.

Old
05-06-2011, 08:58 PM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Priority #1 should be a functional offense overall. Dominance from two players will only take them so far anyway.
Its going to be a lot of work for any coach to fix this mess. They have so many bad habits from BB street hockey system.

Old
05-07-2011, 10:42 AM
dpj0122

Mike Green's Reaction to Getting Swept

Now, these guys have a right to a life. But I know a lot of Caps fans who weren't particularly in a partying mood on Thursday after another kick in the gut. But apparently the fans care a lot more than Mike Green, because he was out having a great old time. See the link (scroll down on the page when you are there). Think Chris Pronger will be out partying tonight after the Flyers sweep? Don't think so. A perfect example of what is wrong with this team...........................

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...html#pagebreak

Old
05-07-2011, 11:18 AM
dashtary*

No I don't to be honest. What else are they supposed to do after being sad the whole night and morning, all the way to the afternoon PC. They've got to move on, it's fine to me. They're hockey players and regular people too.

Old
05-07-2011, 11:25 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Yeah, he really should have worn all black and went into mourning for at least a week.

Are you serious with this stuff? It's almost as bad as your ridiculous blizzard diatribe.

Old
05-07-2011, 01:15 PM
dpj0122

Quote:
Yeah, he really should have worn all black and went into mourning for at least a week.

Are you serious with this stuff? It's almost as bad as your ridiculous blizzard diatribe.
Yeah, you're the one that want's to kiss McPhee's behind for his "draft picks." The same guys who disappear everytime the playoffs come around. You don't have much credibility, guy.

Old
05-07-2011, 01:16 PM
dpj0122

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashtary View Post
No I don't to be honest. What else are they supposed to do after being sad the whole night and morning, all the way to the afternoon PC. They've got to move on, it's fine to me. They're hockey players and regular people too.
"Regular people" would've felt the kick in the gut for a while.............

Old
05-07-2011, 01:21 PM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

Is this guy serious?

Old
05-07-2011, 01:22 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpj0122 View Post
Yeah, you're the one that want's to kiss McPhee's behind for his "draft picks." The same guys who disappear everytime the playoffs come around. You don't have much credibility, guy.
I'm sure you have a ton more credibility, "guy". A drama queen post like yours about Green really lends itself to a ton of credibility. And yeah, Carlson, Johansson, Alzner, and Neuvirth really disappeared in the playoffs.

Old
05-07-2011, 01:37 PM
dpj0122

Quote:
I'm sure you have a ton more credibility, "guy". A drama queen post like yours about Green really lends itself to a ton of credibility. And yeah, Carlson, Johansson, Alzner, and Neuvirth really disappeared in the playoffs.
Yeah, those are the only guys McPHee is responsible for getting here. Right. Talk about a disingenuous post. And my "drama queen" post hits on the core of the problem with this team. Sorry it went over your head.

Old
05-07-2011, 02:21 PM
Bananas

Quote:

Mike Wise is that you?

Seriously, can't you just admit that you were very, very wrong about Boudreau and publicly eat some crow for once?

But no, you're just toeing the new line of bs created by txpd and mwarden.

The three of you should be the first ones writing scathing letters to Leonsis calling for BB's head, but surprise surprise, you're back on hfboards pointing the finger at...Nicklas Backstrom!?!?

Didn't the Penguins just take the same team that thoroughly embarrassed us to seven games without the services of Malkin and Crosby!

Anyone who doesn't see this latest collapse as an indictment of coaching and management seriously needs to have their head examined.

Now, back to the topic at hand: Mike Green.

Keep one of Green and Semin and hire a new coach. Start there and I'd feel mighty confident heading into next year.

Any scenario involving BB not being persona non grata at the Verizon Center and I would have less than zero confidence in our chances. Not to mention I would be thoroughly flabbergasted and pissed.

The problem with Green is we have too many low hockey IQ, boneheaded players on this team to compete at crunch time, and Mike Green is one of them. I'd be reluctant to change our roster too much before seeing how they respond to a different voice in the room, however.

Old
05-07-2011, 02:25 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

BB isnt under the salary cap and signed for a decade.

Old
05-07-2011, 02:38 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaItalia View Post
Just look at Tampa's third line and what they did. We need a line like that.
bergenheim is having a once in a decade playoff run for a player like that. every team in the nhl needs a third line like that. but there wont be another one for a long time including tampa bay.

Old
05-07-2011, 02:53 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpj0122 View Post
Yeah, those are the only guys McPHee is responsible for getting here. Right. Talk about a disingenuous post. And my "drama queen" post hits on the core of the problem with this team. Sorry it went over your head.
You're completely right. Green et al. should paint their fingernails black and sit in a dark room listening to Simple Plan contemplating suicide.

Old
05-07-2011, 02:58 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
Mike Wise is that you?

Seriously, can't you just admit that you were very, very wrong about Boudreau and publicly eat some crow for once?

But no, you're just toeing the new line of bs created by txpd and mwarden.

The three of you should be the first ones writing scathing letters to Leonsis calling for BB's head, but surprise surprise, you're back on hfboards pointing the finger at...Nicklas Backstrom!?!?

Didn't the Penguins just take the same team that thoroughly embarrassed us to seven games without the services of Malkin and Crosby!

Anyone who doesn't see this latest collapse as an indictment of coaching and management seriously needs to have their head examined.
I have no crow to eat. I've said that another disappointing playoffs would likely cause Boudreau his job, and rightfully so. I also said that he probably should go ater this past series. Doesn't change my opinion that he's an excellent coach and can get it done in DC. Sometimes the collection of players and coaches just doesn't mesh well enough to succeed in the postseason.

And if you don't think invisible Backstrom was the single biggest problem in the playoffs, I don't know what to tell you. The guy had 2 points in 9 games, while playing 23 minutes per game. That's a huge offensive black hole. Johansson, a rookie, had three times as many points as Backstrom.

Old
05-07-2011, 03:22 PM
Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
BB isnt under the salary cap and signed for a decade.
Good thing Backstrom has only underperformed in one of the playoffs he's been in, and not every one.

Old
05-07-2011, 03:45 PM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
I'd keep Green and Semin through this next season and see how they respond to a different coach. This is GMGM's chance to see if its coaching or the players before he has some big decisions to make on who to re-sign.

Closed Thread