HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Is it time to move Mike Green? (aka the hat0r thread)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-06-2011, 03:15 PM
  #301
Semin
.
 
Semin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
Im not sure if this is what you are saying but if it is I disagree.....

the idea that if Backstrom was on his game that they would have won is just not flying with me. They got swept....outplayed, as a team, in the 3rd period the first three games. This isnt because a player was off......they were outplayed and out coached.
Couldn't agree more with this.

Semin is offline  
Old
05-06-2011, 04:18 PM
  #302
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,672
vCash: 500
Backstrom on his game is at least a point per game player. Ovechkin on his playoff game is a point-and-a-half per game player. That's another 1-2 goals a game just coming from the top line, not to mention whatever the trickle-down effect would have on the rest of the team's confidence as well as Tampa's defensive coverage.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline  
Old
05-06-2011, 05:41 PM
  #303
Mothra
Registered User
 
Mothra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 7,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Backstrom on his game is at least a point per game player. Ovechkin on his playoff game is a point-and-a-half per game player. That's another 1-2 goals a game just coming from the top line, not to mention whatever the trickle-down effect would have on the rest of the team's confidence as well as Tampa's defensive coverage.
you could post your entire life and not have a better chance to use a movie quote.....thank you Bill Paxton


"Hey, maybe you haven't been keeping up on current events, but we just got our ***** kicked, pal!"

Mothra is offline  
Old
05-06-2011, 05:47 PM
  #304
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
you could post your entire life and not have a better chance to use a movie quote.....thank you Bill Paxton


"Hey, maybe you haven't been keeping up on current events, but we just got our ***** kicked, pal!"
You're missing the point. The point is that Backstrom and Ovechkin down was the biggest issue with the team. If they weren't, they could have compensated plenty for areas in which the team was lackluster.

Priority #1 should be figuring out their issues.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline  
Old
05-06-2011, 06:04 PM
  #305
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
You're missing the point. The point is that Backstrom and Ovechkin down was the biggest issue with the team. If they weren't, they could have compensated plenty for areas in which the team was lackluster.

Priority #1 should be figuring out their issues.
There are a lot of players who were off their regular season pace in the playoffs no?

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
05-06-2011, 06:08 PM
  #306
Langway
Moderator
Intangibles
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20,659
vCash: 500
Priority #1 should be a functional offense overall. Dominance from two players will only take them so far anyway.

Langway is offline  
Old
05-06-2011, 06:27 PM
  #307
ForzaItalia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,139
vCash: 500
Just look at Tampa's third line and what they did. We need a line like that.

ForzaItalia is online now  
Old
05-06-2011, 06:40 PM
  #308
Mothra
Registered User
 
Mothra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 7,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
You're missing the point. The point is that Backstrom and Ovechkin down was the biggest issue with the team. If they weren't, they could have compensated plenty for areas in which the team was lackluster.

Priority #1 should be figuring out their issues.
no...i get it, if 8 and 19 played great.....they would have scored a lot more goals, the rest of the team would have felt great and also played better. At the same time, things like bad line changes, dumb penalties, poor coverage, more bad line changes....these things wouldnt have happened. Again, at the same time....TB would have started doubting themselves, gotten worn down due to digging the puck out of thier net....and so on.....


in other words, if the Caps would have played a lot better it would have been at least a close series.....that about right?

Mothra is offline  
Old
05-06-2011, 08:52 PM
  #309
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass
 
Mr Gone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,292
vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
You're missing the point. The point is that Backstrom and Ovechkin down was the biggest issue with the team. If they weren't, they could have compensated plenty for areas in which the team was lackluster.

Priority #1 should be figuring out their issues.
Can we start with Discipline, Structure or hockey IQ?

The things you get from a good coach.

Mr Gone is offline  
Old
05-06-2011, 08:58 PM
  #310
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass
 
Mr Gone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,292
vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Priority #1 should be a functional offense overall. Dominance from two players will only take them so far anyway.
Its going to be a lot of work for any coach to fix this mess. They have so many bad habits from BB street hockey system.

Mr Gone is offline  
Old
05-07-2011, 10:42 AM
  #311
dpj0122
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 363
vCash: 500
Mike Green's Reaction to Getting Swept

Now, these guys have a right to a life. But I know a lot of Caps fans who weren't particularly in a partying mood on Thursday after another kick in the gut. But apparently the fans care a lot more than Mike Green, because he was out having a great old time. See the link (scroll down on the page when you are there). Think Chris Pronger will be out partying tonight after the Flyers sweep? Don't think so. A perfect example of what is wrong with this team...........................





http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...html#pagebreak

dpj0122 is offline  
Old
05-07-2011, 11:18 AM
  #312
dashtary*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,271
vCash: 500
No I don't to be honest. What else are they supposed to do after being sad the whole night and morning, all the way to the afternoon PC. They've got to move on, it's fine to me. They're hockey players and regular people too.

dashtary* is offline  
Old
05-07-2011, 11:25 AM
  #313
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,672
vCash: 500
Yeah, he really should have worn all black and went into mourning for at least a week.

Are you serious with this stuff? It's almost as bad as your ridiculous blizzard diatribe.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline  
Old
05-07-2011, 01:15 PM
  #314
dpj0122
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Yeah, he really should have worn all black and went into mourning for at least a week.

Are you serious with this stuff? It's almost as bad as your ridiculous blizzard diatribe.
Yeah, you're the one that want's to kiss McPhee's behind for his "draft picks." The same guys who disappear everytime the playoffs come around. You don't have much credibility, guy.

dpj0122 is offline  
Old
05-07-2011, 01:16 PM
  #315
dpj0122
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashtary View Post
No I don't to be honest. What else are they supposed to do after being sad the whole night and morning, all the way to the afternoon PC. They've got to move on, it's fine to me. They're hockey players and regular people too.
"Regular people" would've felt the kick in the gut for a while.............

dpj0122 is offline  
Old
05-07-2011, 01:21 PM
  #316
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:
 
blokeyhighlander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,037
vCash: 500
Is this guy serious?

blokeyhighlander is offline  
Old
05-07-2011, 01:22 PM
  #317
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpj0122 View Post
Yeah, you're the one that want's to kiss McPhee's behind for his "draft picks." The same guys who disappear everytime the playoffs come around. You don't have much credibility, guy.
I'm sure you have a ton more credibility, "guy". A drama queen post like yours about Green really lends itself to a ton of credibility. And yeah, Carlson, Johansson, Alzner, and Neuvirth really disappeared in the playoffs.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline  
Old
05-07-2011, 01:37 PM
  #318
dpj0122
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I'm sure you have a ton more credibility, "guy". A drama queen post like yours about Green really lends itself to a ton of credibility. And yeah, Carlson, Johansson, Alzner, and Neuvirth really disappeared in the playoffs.
Yeah, those are the only guys McPHee is responsible for getting here. Right. Talk about a disingenuous post. And my "drama queen" post hits on the core of the problem with this team. Sorry it went over your head.

dpj0122 is offline  
Old
05-07-2011, 02:21 PM
  #319
Bananas
****
 
Bananas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
You're missing the point. The point is that Backstrom and Ovechkin down was the biggest issue with the team. If they weren't, they could have compensated plenty for areas in which the team was lackluster.

Priority #1 should be figuring out their issues.
Mike Wise is that you?

Seriously, can't you just admit that you were very, very wrong about Boudreau and publicly eat some crow for once?

But no, you're just toeing the new line of bs created by txpd and mwarden.

The three of you should be the first ones writing scathing letters to Leonsis calling for BB's head, but surprise surprise, you're back on hfboards pointing the finger at...Nicklas Backstrom!?!?

Didn't the Penguins just take the same team that thoroughly embarrassed us to seven games without the services of Malkin and Crosby!

Anyone who doesn't see this latest collapse as an indictment of coaching and management seriously needs to have their head examined.


Now, back to the topic at hand: Mike Green.

Keep one of Green and Semin and hire a new coach. Start there and I'd feel mighty confident heading into next year.

Any scenario involving BB not being persona non grata at the Verizon Center and I would have less than zero confidence in our chances. Not to mention I would be thoroughly flabbergasted and pissed.

The problem with Green is we have too many low hockey IQ, boneheaded players on this team to compete at crunch time, and Mike Green is one of them. I'd be reluctant to change our roster too much before seeing how they respond to a different voice in the room, however.

Bananas is offline  
Old
05-07-2011, 02:25 PM
  #320
mrwarden
Nothing Witty
 
mrwarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 8,983
vCash: 500
BB isnt under the salary cap and signed for a decade.

mrwarden is offline  
Old
05-07-2011, 02:38 PM
  #321
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,796
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaItalia View Post
Just look at Tampa's third line and what they did. We need a line like that.
bergenheim is having a once in a decade playoff run for a player like that. every team in the nhl needs a third line like that. but there wont be another one for a long time including tampa bay.

txpd is online now  
Old
05-07-2011, 02:53 PM
  #322
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpj0122 View Post
Yeah, those are the only guys McPHee is responsible for getting here. Right. Talk about a disingenuous post. And my "drama queen" post hits on the core of the problem with this team. Sorry it went over your head.
You're completely right. Green et al. should paint their fingernails black and sit in a dark room listening to Simple Plan contemplating suicide.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline  
Old
05-07-2011, 02:58 PM
  #323
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
Mike Wise is that you?

Seriously, can't you just admit that you were very, very wrong about Boudreau and publicly eat some crow for once?

But no, you're just toeing the new line of bs created by txpd and mwarden.

The three of you should be the first ones writing scathing letters to Leonsis calling for BB's head, but surprise surprise, you're back on hfboards pointing the finger at...Nicklas Backstrom!?!?

Didn't the Penguins just take the same team that thoroughly embarrassed us to seven games without the services of Malkin and Crosby!

Anyone who doesn't see this latest collapse as an indictment of coaching and management seriously needs to have their head examined.
I have no crow to eat. I've said that another disappointing playoffs would likely cause Boudreau his job, and rightfully so. I also said that he probably should go ater this past series. Doesn't change my opinion that he's an excellent coach and can get it done in DC. Sometimes the collection of players and coaches just doesn't mesh well enough to succeed in the postseason.

And if you don't think invisible Backstrom was the single biggest problem in the playoffs, I don't know what to tell you. The guy had 2 points in 9 games, while playing 23 minutes per game. That's a huge offensive black hole. Johansson, a rookie, had three times as many points as Backstrom.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline  
Old
05-07-2011, 03:22 PM
  #324
Bananas
****
 
Bananas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
BB isnt under the salary cap and signed for a decade.
Good thing Backstrom has only underperformed in one of the playoffs he's been in, and not every one.

Bananas is offline  
Old
05-07-2011, 03:45 PM
  #325
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 4,852
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
I'd keep Green and Semin through this next season and see how they respond to a different coach. This is GMGM's chance to see if its coaching or the players before he has some big decisions to make on who to re-sign.

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.