HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is it time to move Mike Green? (aka the hat0r thread)

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2011, 10:32 PM
Bananas

vCash: 500
I'm pretty much against trading Greener the more I think of it unless the return is gargantuan.

Old
05-15-2011, 01:04 AM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Way to steal my post. And you forgot the best picture of all, the one where he has Gina Lynn on his lap.

Unrelated to the above,

There's no question that Green is downright awful in odd-man situations. But that's a situation that really doesn't occur all too often and was as much of a result of Erskine's silly hit attempt (which, in large part, was due to the horribly chemistry between Erskine and Green) as Green's ineptitude.

Green's play 1-on-1 against his man and positionally once the play has been set is far superior to when he has to improvise defensively. If you put him with a guy who doesn't expose Green's weakness, it immediately results in a better pairing. That's why Schultz-Green tended to look pretty good over the past two years, even with people constantly dogging Schultz. Because Schultz's conservative play didn't expose Green's weaknesses. Now if you can find a guy who's snarl and overall skill doesn't result in placing Green in bad situations, you've found yourself an ideal partner for Greener. Maybe that guy is Alzner (even though the "snarl" isn't really there) if you're willing to take him away from Carlson. If not, you look for a guy like Markov, Tyutin, Coburn, or Regehr to pair with him.

It's not so much about covering for Green's mistakes as not putting Green into bad situations, in my eyes. Green has improved on his decision making and his recovery speed is excellent (and we don't have Theo in net anymore), so I'm not hiding in crippling fear about Green's mistakes. Now if we can find a pro-active partner for him that won't hang Green out to dry, we can really see one hell of a defensive pairing.
Your 5mill+ first pairing guy should be bring the play of his partner up. And covering for him. You should not have to baby him to keep him from being exposed.

And this is not even my problem with Green. My problem is the fact he can not stay on the ice when we need him. He will never hold up for a 20+ game cup run. And thats something you have to get for your money.

Old
05-16-2011, 08:29 AM
travr1131

I think Green is a great player, but yeah he takes a beating! He has got to get better at making opposing forwards miss their checks or at least prepare himself better. Maybe some more offseason weight lifting/conditioning will do him some good.

He is still young, so barring more concussions, I think he still has a good upside in the future.

Old
05-16-2011, 08:53 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
You often hear that when a defensemen tanks, it was because he was in the NHL too early. But if a young defensemen tossed to wolves succeeds, its assumed it was because he couldnt miss. But he is still young. We need to stay the course.

Green went back to school this year. Did you see him as the proverbial 4th forward all year? I saw Alzner and Hannan deep in the offensive zone much more than him. He and Carlson both were reigned in and asked to focus on defensive work. The offensive skills there, the learning to be done doing the dirty dzone work.

Mike Green is a microcosm of our teams lack of identity this year. Or macrocosm. Get off the vespa headed down ice, dude. He was probably a headcase after getting the green light all those years. He is a few years late of being asked to do that, the Bruce way of attack attack attack probably delayed or stunted his defensive developement. It seemed his offensive zone work suffered. I dont think I was impressed with his point play at all this year. Maybe a handfull of nice primarys / PP goals.

His point play must be addressed to uncork our PP. Wideman firing up our PP was proof positive that Green wasnt getting it done.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 05-16-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Old
05-16-2011, 09:03 AM
txpd

the funny thing is that with regards to green, boudreau claims that it was green that came to him about making his defense a priority. boudreau also was quoted during the playoff broadcasts to say that boudreau had been pushing green for half the season to get back in the offensive play without success.

that could be boudreau making up fiction for the media, but i think there's more to it than that.

when boudreau cut carlson loose he was leading the rush all of a sudden, so i assume he was reigned back.

Old
05-16-2011, 09:10 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Green went to Bruce, yeesh its worse than I expected. I should have known though, thinking Bruce had his chosen one on the blueline change his game. Yet another question mark for me on Bruce. Green cant decide these things IMO. His golden boy (with Flash gone) tuning him out. I wonder what George thinks about it.

It is up to Bruce to develop him and I think learning defense is wise, it's just a bit late. Did Bruce embrace it, make sure he practiced 2 on 1's, and crease clearing, basics? I doubt it.

Bruce knows, high skill goal scorers dont forget how to score. Players have to round out their games, they cant be one dimensional.

If Green was wanting to change his game, it sounds like that Yzerman snubbing may have got inside of Green's head. And caused him to tune out Bruce. Impressive.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 05-16-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old
05-16-2011, 09:14 AM
txpd

during training camp green said just that. katie printed it in an insider interview that i cant find. green said that yzerman's comments messed with his head in the playoffs(montreal) and that he(green) was committed to changing his defensive game.

so, yea. yzerman got in his head.

Old
05-16-2011, 09:33 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Damn, did SYz know he was going to be Tampa's GM at the snubbing?

I wish Bruce would have embraced it. Instead of begging him to be the old mike green, his cries falling on deaf ears for half the f'in year. He may have embraced MG52 learning defense for all I know, but my gut tells me no, they butted heads. Someone reporting from Kettler would have mentioned Green practicing 2 on 1's after practice, etc.

I have theorized that Sarge told Bruce to stuff it for years, trying to rationalize why all our defensemen step up yet he never did. Then Bruce telling the media Sarge is fearless. My thought was, that he was not afraid to tell the coach to f off, since I dont see fearlessness in Sarge's on ice play.

Old
06-25-2011, 08:06 PM
Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashtary View Post
Question, what do you suggest he should have been doing? Weeping over a ****ing pathetic series? No I don't think so. Don't dread it. Think it over, and get on with your life. They're people too you know.
Exactly how it works. Get too pumped after each win or too down after each loss and you'll never last.

Anyone who thinks Richards doesn't care about winning doesn't know squat about hockey anyway.
The Flyers huge loss is the Kings ransom now.

Old
01-08-2012, 01:48 AM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

He should have been moved two seasons ago. I could see this season coming a mile away. Is anyone really shocked that he cant seem to stay on the ice again this year?

Old
01-08-2012, 02:16 AM
NeilYoung

Whatever happened tonight ignored

Is anyone at all surprised who bumped this thread?

Old
01-08-2012, 02:27 AM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsGreat08AO View Post
Whatever happened tonight ignored

Is anyone at all surprised who bumped this thread?
Does it bother you that I am right about him? Would you feel better if I was wrong and Green played 70+ games this season? I would feel better myself. I just know it will always be a long shot from this point out.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:51 AM
Bunindza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gone View Post
Does it bother you that I am right about him? Would you feel better if I was wrong and Green played 70+ games this season? I would feel better myself. I just know it will always be a long shot from this point out.
Anyone who watched Green two games ago could tell that the team rushed Green back. You can blame all of Green's injuries on Green or you can do the right thing in this instance and take exception to the fact that the Caps aren't just shutting him down for the foreseeable future.

It's not like the Caps weren't getting their game together without him.

After his showing last game, Green should not have been playing. I've had groin injuries before. They are no joke. If a player, after a game, says that he feels awful... yeah.

Old
01-08-2012, 07:19 AM
txpd

i think most that watched him two games ago including some of our best said it was fatigue and not being in game shape. i couldnt believe i was the only one saying that he looked like he was skating on one leg.

frankly i thought i was seeing things when they went with 6 d and that he was better. his groin is broken in a serious way.

Old
01-08-2012, 08:07 AM
Bunindza

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i think most that watched him two games ago including some of our best said it was fatigue and not being in game shape. i couldnt believe i was the only one saying that he looked like he was skating on one leg.

frankly i thought i was seeing things when they went with 6 d and that he was better. his groin is broken in a serious way.
That made no sense to me either. Heck, it made the opposite of sense. Doesn't seem like the risk you'd want to take if you were forced to choose which position to dress if you're the Caps.

Old
01-08-2012, 08:37 AM
txpd

my guess is that they have no intension of keeping 8 defensemen and/or dressing 7 for any period of time. they gave him the one game with 7 d to get some sea legs back and then the nice time off before the next game. they put him on the 3rd pair without any pp or pk and wanted to see if he could handle it.

i think its also clear that with a contract in the balance that green wanted to prove he could play. he couldnt.

now, we return to what green and mcphee have said publically about this injury. that it will be with him his entire career and that its not getting better anytime soon. i dont think either the caps nor green were talking any chances with him playing. i took from the comments that he couldnt hurt it worse than it was and that he was going to try and play with it as it is. he cant. at least right now.

Old
01-08-2012, 08:58 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
now, we return to what green and mcphee have said publically about this injury. that it will be with him his entire career and that its not getting better anytime soon.
I'm not questioning that this was said I just didn't see it. Source please?

Old
01-08-2012, 09:21 AM
DCRedhawk21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I'm not questioning that this was said I just didn't see it. Source please?
http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/...-groin-injury/

there might be a source with more info, but basically saying it's something he's going to have to be careful with for a long time... This talk plus the fact that opposing teams go out of their way to plaster him every chance they get (not always to injure, but becasue it's an effective way to throw Green and the team off their game) is certainly troubling... Even more so that it's a contract year and GMGM is going to have to make a choice that will have huge implications for the franchise

Old
01-08-2012, 10:18 AM
txpd

i think green getting a contract right now that is more than one year right now is going to be very difficult. after this failed attempt to get him back in the lineup, i have to admit now that it looks a lot like tom poti.

poti sat for a good while. then practiced with the team for a good bit. then he got back in the lineup and was gone again a couple of games later.

i am officially in the I'll believe he can play when i see him play a real game.

Old
01-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
i think green getting a contract right now that is more than one year right now is going to be very difficult. after this failed attempt to get him back in the lineup, i have to admit now that it looks a lot like tom poti.

poti sat for a good while. then practiced with the team for a good bit. then he got back in the lineup and was gone again a couple of games later.

i am officially in the I'll believe he can play when i see him play a real game.
Yeah. It's pretty sad, really. Poti was already approaching the end of his career. Green's may end up being over at 25 or whatever.

Old
01-08-2012, 11:33 AM
Blades of steel
log off.

So if green is obviously damaged goods for remainder of season, where do the caps go from here.. Any ideas?

Old
01-08-2012, 11:35 AM
pgreene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of steel View Post
So if green is obviously damaged goods for remainder of season, where do the caps go from here.. Any ideas?
definitely takes away from his value. as does his complete inability to avoid putting himself in situations where he gets popped.

were i a gm, i wouldn't trade for green, at least wouldn't trade anything remotely approaching actual value for him.

Old
01-08-2012, 11:42 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Well maybe if they properly fired BB two seasons ago they could have traded a healthier green to that team!

Old
01-08-2012, 11:44 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

If u shut him down for season we're screwed next season. They'll qualify him.

Old
01-08-2012, 12:02 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
If u shut him down for season we're screwed next season. They'll qualify him.
Any idea how team-elected arbitration might play out under those circumstances?

Closed Thread