Anton Babchuk

Old
03-02-2011, 02:14 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
the thought o a Babchuk/Brodie pairing makes me shudder... that would be horrific in our own end... re-signing Babchuk IMO means Brodie spends another year in Abbotsford.. which I think he should anyways
Brodie's knock his whole career is going to be his defensive game. If he makes it in the NHL he is going to have to get it up to a point where he can hold his own. The reason I like Brodie so much is that we haven't had an offensive d-man with his skill in a long, long time here. He would completely change the dynamic of how this team plays if he hits his potential in the NHL.

Also I really want Babchuk back, his upside overall is so much better than Sarich's.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 02:16 PM
Lunatik*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
True, the only problem is that Langkow might never be the player he was. Who knows? We'll have to see how that all plays out. Knowing Langkow if their is any possibility for him to play again you know he'll want to come back.
I wasn't suggesting Langkow can regain form, I was more suggesting because of the cap hit Langkow carries we may not be able to keep Morrison

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 02:25 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
I wasn't suggesting Langkow can regain form, I was more suggesting because of the cap hit Langkow carries we may not be able to keep Morrison
That is what I was alluding to as well. Obviously this organizations hands would be tied if Langkow came back, because I cannot imagine many teams taking him post serious injury.

I just hope that if he does come back we get a really good player in him. Because giving up on some of our UFA's would be painful if the guy can barely play.

This team has so many cap issues and heavy contracts it scares me. Especially if we have a good run and want to keep the majority of the team together.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 02:28 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Brodie's knock his whole career is going to be his defensive game. If he makes it in the NHL he is going to have to get it up to a point where he can hold his own. The reason I like Brodie so much is that we haven't had an offensive d-man with his skill in a long, long time here. He would completely change the dynamic of how this team plays if he hits his potential in the NHL.

Also I really want Babchuk back, his upside overall is so much better than Sarich's.
The only issue is that outside of Regehr and Sarich we have a really soft defensive group in terms of physicality. Gio is decent with the body, but it certainly isn't his forte. Ideally I'd like to have 3 guys who can lay the body hard and that is what we have right now in Regehr, Sarich, and to a lesser extent Gio.

Old
03-02-2011, 02:41 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
That is what I was alluding to as well. Obviously this organizations hands would be tied if Langkow came back, because I cannot imagine many teams taking him post serious injury.

I just hope that if he does come back we get a really good player in him. Because giving up on some of our UFA's would be painful if the guy can barely play.

This team has so many cap issues and heavy contracts it scares me. Especially if we have a good run and want to keep the majority of the team together.
I'm not actually that worried since so much of our team is under contract for next season... i'm going to start up a new armchair GM thread for this off-season and come up with numbers with Langkow in play... but to be honest the fact Langkow plays such a simple game I think he has a decent chance to come back... if not we will at the very least have the 2011/12 Masterton winner

Old
03-02-2011, 02:46 PM
FLAMES666

vCash: 1800
Its funny how everyone basically wants to resign every UFA we have, meaning your completely content with the team we have right now going forward. I will wait until the end of the season or playoffs to see if I would resign all these guys, especially Glencross, because I wouldn't give him a raise based on this explosive last 2 months he has had.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 02:54 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
I'm not actually that worried since so much of our team is under contract for next season... i'm going to start up a new armchair GM thread for this off-season and come up with numbers with Langkow in play... but to be honest the fact Langkow plays such a simple game I think he has a decent chance to come back... if not we will at the very least have the 2011/12 Masterton winner
awesome and very true.

Old
03-02-2011, 02:55 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
Its funny how everyone basically wants to resign every UFA we have, meaning your completely content with the team we have right now going forward. I will wait until the end of the season or playoffs to see if I would resign all these guys, especially Glencross, because I wouldn't give him a raise based on this explosive last 2 months he has had.
totally in the same boat. The best part is that we have the rest of the year to watch and see what this team can do.

Old
03-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacem View Post
]
Even if we did move Sarich I'd still be leery of giving Babchuk a decent contract. I don't know the entire deal with what happened in Carolina but he did leave to go to Europe didn't he? Not sure if he is the type of guy to mail it in after getting a decnt contract, but I'd worry about it.
The first time he went to the KHL, it was mostly his fault. He played a lot because of injuries to our defense. When those injuries healed, we needed to make space and sent Babs to the AHL. He felt he didn't deserve it, that he was outplaying some of the other defensemen. And depending on who you ask, he might have been.

But the fact of the matter is, he was the only defenseman on a two-way contract and thus, he was the one that got sent down. He didn't like it, refused to report to the AHL and was suspended. He later apologized, came back, played in the AHL, then after the season was over, went to the KHL. This was his first public spat with JR.

The second time, it was mostly JR's fault. Babs started the season seen as nothing more than a 6/7th defenseman. Midway through the season, he got off the bottom-pairing with Melichar and moved to the Top 4 playing with Pitkanen. He played much better. Something like 12 goals and 15 assists since January 1st of that year, and 4 or 5 game-winning goals. He was a big part of Carolina's playoff push.

During the playoffs, however, Babs didn't play nearly as well. There were a couple reasons for it. Probably most importantly, Carolina played Jersey in the first round. A team they had faced three times in the final two weeks of the season. And a team that Babchuk scored 4 goals against in those final three games. Thus, they were well aware of what he could do and did everything they could to shut him down in the playoffs. It worked. And for a player like Babchuk, who's play is almost entirely about confidence, it killed the playoff run for him.

So despite being a large reason for making the playoffs in the first place, JR instead used his disappearance in the playoffs as an excuse to throw a lowball offer to him. Gave a player that far exceeded expectations, scored 15+ goals, etc., a qualify offer of 1 million. Babs rightfully complained about the offer, and asked for a trade. JR couldn't (or wouldn't, depending on how petty you believe JR to be) find a trading partner for Babchuk, so Babchuk went to the KHL to get playing time.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 04:11 PM
Backlund

vCash: 1263
Quote:

I'm kinda hoping that he doesn't come back. That $4.5M cap hit is way too high for him and I doubt he will earn his paycheck. I would much rather him join the team through an office job of some sort. That way we can use his money to sign Tangs and Morrison.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 04:20 PM
FLAMES666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number Eight View Post
I'm kinda hoping that he doesn't come back. That $4.5M cap hit is way too high for him and I doubt he will earn his paycheck. I would much rather him join the team through an office job of some sort. That way we can use his money to sign Tangs and Morrison.
He would be a great 3rd line player if he came back but unfortunately the cap hit is horrible. Can't blame him for Sutter giving that contract and force him to retire or not come back. But if you look at the center situation Joker pretty much has the number 2 spot locked up. The number 1 spot could be filled in by Langkow if needed but hopefully Backlund could step up next year and fill that roll. Stajan seems to be the lone man out because he did not fit well in the first line roll this year, also don't want to pay him to play on the fourth. This being said that I want to see Backlund have an increased roll on the team next year and not stuck on the 4th line for a 2nd consecutive year.

Old
03-02-2011, 04:26 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
He would be a great 3rd line player if he came back but unfortunately the cap hit is horrible. Can't blame him for Sutter giving that contract and force him to retire or not come back. But if you look at the center situation Joker pretty much has the number 2 spot locked up. The number 1 spot could be filled in by Langkow if needed but hopefully Backlund could step up next year and fill that roll. Stajan seems to be the lone man out because he did not fit well in the first line roll this year, also don't want to pay him to play on the fourth. This being said that I want to see Backlund have an increased roll on the team next year and not stuck on the 4th line for a 2nd consecutive year.
If the kid played with a bit more of an edge and was agressive I'm sure he'd get more minutes. His reactive skills are great, I love his transition. But he needs to utilize his offensive creativity more and be proactive. We only see glimpses of it and it's not enough to earn more minutes. Though playing some shifts with Iggy would really help his confidence IMO.

Old
03-02-2011, 04:29 PM
FLAMES666

Quote:
If the kid played with a bit more of an edge and was agressive I'm sure he'd get more minutes. His reactive skills are great, I love his transition. But he needs to utilize his offensive creativity more and be proactive. We only see glimpses of it and it's not enough to earn more minutes. Though playing some shifts with Iggy would really help his confidence IMO.
One of the reasons I think he should get more PP time or any for that matter with Iggy. He is one of the more creative offensive players we have and PP time would help him use it.

Old
03-02-2011, 05:25 PM
Remember2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deen View Post
Do you think that Calgary will sign "The Anton"? I think he has been a great addition and I have been very impressed with his play so far. If we do sign him (which I hope we do) what kind of contract do you think he will be looking for? I would give him a contract close to Phillips if it came down to it.

$2,999,995

I like the addition of him when he came but we have about 8.8m in cap space in the summer to work with and these are coming off the books

-Tanguay 1.7m
-Morrison 750k
-Glencross 1.2m
-Modin 1.2m (not sure if he counts against cap I'm assuming he does if he does then we have more cap)
-Staios 2.7m
-Babchuk 1.4m
-Pardy 700k
(DO RFA count against the cap? if so)
Mikkelson 675k
Carson 500k

Tanguay- 2.6mil
Babchuk-2.7 mil
Glencross 2.7mil

Now saying this we have to bury Hagman or trade him or even Stajan to another team.

Remember2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 06:13 PM
FLAMES666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remember2004 View Post
I like the addition of him when he came but we have about 8.8m in cap space in the summer to work with and these are coming off the books
I think Calgary only has about 5mill in cap room + how much the cap will increase.

Old
03-02-2011, 07:00 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Quote:
The only issue is that outside of Regehr and Sarich we have a really soft defensive group in terms of physicality. Gio is decent with the body, but it certainly isn't his forte. Ideally I'd like to have 3 guys who can lay the body hard and that is what we have right now in Regehr, Sarich, and to a lesser extent Gio.
I would counter and argue that speed is a more important asset for a defence to have than physicality in today's NHL. Obviously you need both, but if you look at the top defences in the NHL today they have a speedy backend. I do like Sarich, but his biggest problem is his speed and its gets him into trouble at times. Babchuk all around is more of a valuable player because he is so much better offensively and he is not hurting the team in his own end either. He has actually made some very nice defensive plays since joining us. I just do not see how if Langkow comes back next year that Sarich can remain on the team anyways. We could resign Babchuk for about a million less and we would have a more useful overall player.

Sarich is a much harder hitter than Gio, but Gio also plays a very physical game of hockey. Sarich ranks second on the team with 122 hits and Gio has 108. So there really isn't a huge drop off there. Gio is also among the league leaders in blocked shots so overall he contributes an equal defensive presence as Sarich. My point is we still have 3 very good d-man that are responsible in their own end. And then you throw in a few offensive guys and suddenly we have a very good and versatile mix. The top teams in the NHL today use their defence as a key part in their offence and next year I think we have the potential to do the same. Brodie has put up some very respectable numbers and Erixon has been very solid himself. I think the addition of those guys to our core would give the Flames a very good, very fast group and would make it very difficult for other teams to match up against.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Brodie play with Bouwmeester at times. Their combined speed would be very fun to watch.

Old
03-02-2011, 09:20 PM
Stewie Griffin
Stewie Hockey™

vCash: 901
Quote:
I think Calgary only has about 5mill in cap room + how much the cap will increase.
If Langkow comes back next season, you are correct, with only 17 players under contract.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 10:28 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
I would counter and argue that speed is a more important asset for a defence to have than physicality in today's NHL. Obviously you need both, but if you look at the top defences in the NHL today they have a speedy backend. I do like Sarich, but his biggest problem is his speed and its gets him into trouble at times. Babchuk all around is more of a valuable player because he is so much better offensively and he is not hurting the team in his own end either. He has actually made some very nice defensive plays since joining us. I just do not see how if Langkow comes back next year that Sarich can remain on the team anyways. We could resign Babchuk for about a million less and we would have a more useful overall player.

Sarich is a much harder hitter than Gio, but Gio also plays a very physical game of hockey. Sarich ranks second on the team with 122 hits and Gio has 108. So there really isn't a huge drop off there. Gio is also among the league leaders in blocked shots so overall he contributes an equal defensive presence as Sarich. My point is we still have 3 very good d-man that are responsible in their own end. And then you throw in a few offensive guys and suddenly we have a very good and versatile mix. The top teams in the NHL today use their defence as a key part in their offence and next year I think we have the potential to do the same. Brodie has put up some very respectable numbers and Erixon has been very solid himself. I think the addition of those guys to our core would give the Flames a very good, very fast group and would make it very difficult for other teams to match up against.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Brodie play with Bouwmeester at times. Their combined speed would be very fun to watch.
Everyone has an opinion, you make good points. All I can say is that if (and that is a big if) both Brodie and Erixon can jump up next year who the hell is going to respect our blueline. No one is going to be around to protect them outside of Regehr and to a lesser extent Gio. I just don't think our blueline will be that tough, and I still believe that is a very important part of this team's identity.

This team needs to get bigger and stronger imo. We need the Chris Stewarts and Brent Seabrooks of the league. Not saying that level of talent, just the physical presecence that they bring.

Old
03-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Xelstyle

Quote:
This team needs to get bigger and stronger imo. We need the Chris Stewarts and Brent Seabrooks of the league. Not saying that level of talent, just the physical presecence that they bring.
I agree partially on the size and strength, but adding some more mobility in the back end would rank little higher for me personally.
A Brent Seabrook would be ideal on both counts.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:02 AM
UkraineTrain

I'd give him one of these deals:
1 year/2.75m or
2 years/5m or
3 years/6.75m

UkraineTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:08 AM
Lunatik*

I'm actually leaning towards letting Babchuk walk... unfortunately i just don't think we can afford him at close to $3 million when he can't play top 4 minutes... and if the Flames feel like both Erixon and Brodie will be ready I wouldn't mind going with a defense like this...

Even Strength
Regehr - Bouwmeester
Erixon - Giordano
Brodie - Sarich

Penalty Kill
Regehr - Bouwmeester
Giordano - Sarich
- use Erixon if a PKer is in the box

Power Play
Erixon - Giordano
Brodie - Bouwmeester

Old
03-10-2011, 01:45 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

I really hope Babchuk resigns, I would rather trade Sarich. I honestly think this guy has the potential to hit 15 to 20 goals. The biggest reason I want him back is he makes our PP so much better. Bouwmeester is just average on the PP, Gio is pretty good. But having a shot like Babchuk's just opens up so many things for us. He basically provides what Dion did for us on the PP. If we can get him at 2.75-3 million I would take him back in a second. Moving Sarich would clear room to get him locked up.

Old
03-10-2011, 01:51 PM
StreakingRed
Win For Gio

Quote:
The biggest reason I want him back is he makes our PP so much better.

I second that. Plus, I love that big shot he's got from the point.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 01:55 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
He plays in a role that essentially renders his creativity useless.

His game flourishes off of the rush and entering the zone with speed, he however is being used in a role that sees him dump and chase which IMO completely hinders his offensive game.

He also plays as the high forward ( as a centermen ) on a line that thrives on the cycle with Tko and Jackman for the most part, Which also plays a part in what seems to be his offensive struggles.

Backlund has not being given the flexibility offensively yet by brent and hopefully that will come in time.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 02:02 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
I really hope Babchuk resigns, I would rather trade Sarich. I honestly think this guy has the potential to hit 15 to 20 goals. The biggest reason I want him back is he makes our PP so much better. Bouwmeester is just average on the PP, Gio is pretty good. But having a shot like Babchuk's just opens up so many things for us. He basically provides what Dion did for us on the PP. If we can get him at 2.75-3 million I would take him back in a second. Moving Sarich would clear room to get him locked up.
so you want to move a player that is capable of playing in the top 4 for one that is incapable of playing in the top 4?... I'm sorry but that doesn't make alot of sense to me... I get liking the bomb from the point but he is average at best defensively and the worst skater on the team (Modin would give him a run for that though)... if Babchuk would sign for under 2.5 I say bring him back... otherwise we would be looking at paying another bottom pairing single dimension defenseman almost $3 million *cough* Staios *cough*