HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A objective perspective on Gaborik's game....

Old
03-15-2011, 03:13 PM
Xtranova

vCash: 500
A objective perspective on Gaborik's game....

Ok, so I am not going to start another "Will the real Gabby please stand up" - thread or something like that. But trough the season so far watching at least 80% of all the games and the weak performance by our supposed-to-be-leading scorer, Gaborik.... Is it him or is it our style of play that is the concern? (On his behalf)

We all know that Gaborik can be one of the most dangerous snipers and safe point pickers coming of a rush, but do our goals come that way at all this year? The whole grinding mentality now a days..... Playing the puck constantly back in the office, along the boards, fighting it on a bounce in front of the net. Is it the NY Rangers playing style ala 2010/2011 that gives Gaborik poor numbers?

I know he has looked completely lost from game to game, but I have a theory that the way we play do not satisfy or match his way of putting up goals, or even points for that matter.

Anyone agree or am I completely off?

(Topic was of course AN OBJECTIVE......)

Xtranova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 03:16 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
I think it's pretty clear that his shoulder is still messed up.

Just look at the type of shots he was taking last year compared to this year.

Honestly, with the way he's been shooting the puck, I think he could be playing with Gretzky and he still wouldn't put up the numbers he did last year. Just have to hope it is back that it gets a bit better before the playoffs, and is 100% for training camp next year.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 03:20 PM
Zats Muccarello
Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtranova View Post
Ok, so I am not going to start another "Will the real Gabby please stand up" - thread or something like that. But trough the season so far watching at least 80% of all the games and the weak performance by our supposed-to-be-leading scorer, Gaborik.... Is it him or is it our style of play that is the concern? (On his behalf)

We all know that Gaborik can be one of the most dangerous snipers and safe point pickers coming of a rush, but do our goals come that way at all this year? The whole grinding mentality now a days..... Playing the puck constantly back in the office, along the boards, fighting it on a bounce in front of the net. Is it the NY Rangers playing style ala 2010/2011 that gives Gaborik poor numbers?

I know he has looked completely lost from game to game, but I have a theory that the way we play do not satisfy or match his way of putting up goals, or even points for that matter.

I think personally that he's still injured, and shouldn't be playing. I just want him to heal and be ready for next season because if we get Brad Richards and they have chemistry they'll be an amazing duo.

Zats Muccarello is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 03:23 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Things I attribute to Gabby's struggles:

Confidence
Shoulder issues
General lack of physicality and effort

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 03:24 PM
Xtranova

I can see that his shot is different compared to last year... Like on the PP for instance. His wrist shot is not even there... (Neither is the rest of the PP though).

However, how many breakaway goals do we have for example? Trying to picture another scenario than a SH goal here, hehe... Most of our goals is just hard busting work. Down in the corner, then boom - pass on the first post and someone finds a way to knock it in....

I hope it is his shoulder though and that he will bounce back. He is still a highly rated player with a season off. Crossing my fingers that Richards will come on board this summer to feed Gaborik with some sweet passes. We have literally been barking for our legit first line center for too long now...

Old
03-15-2011, 03:26 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Not only do I think his shoulder is having issues, I think there's something lower body that's bothering him. He doesn't have that same jump in his step he had last season on most nights. Between that and his shot being nothing like it has been in the past, he's basically been ineffective.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 03:42 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
I actually think he's looked pretty good since coming back. I'm expecting a huge game from him tonight.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 03:50 PM
nyr5186

As inconsistent and invisible as he has been this year, I still think that IF (and that's a big if) he can raise his level of play to anywhere near what it was last year for the stretch run/playoffs, we can do some serious damage this year. All it takes in the playoffs is a hot goalie and an offensive gamebreaker. We have the potential for both with Lundqvist and Gaborik.

Go ahead, call me crazy for thinking that we're built for the playoffs.

nyr5186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 03:54 PM
McIlrathsWrath

Helloooooo.... He is waiting for the playoffs. He is strategically not wasting goals on regular season games. He's gonna be a 2 points-per-game player come playoff time.

McIlrathsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 04:03 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEANbrAVERY View Post
Helloooooo.... He is waiting for the playoffs. He is strategically not wasting goals on regular season games. He's gonna be a 2 points-per-game player come playoff time.
The playoffs started about four weeks ago.

03-15-2011, 04:04 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

At even strength, I agree. Last year, this team didnt have anything even remotely resembling an identity - in fact, Gaborik was their identity for the most part. This season, an identity has been established, just to happens the style of play is pretty much the polar opposite of Gaborik's. Thats on Gaborik and Tortorella to make it work somehow - Gaborik's talent is being wasted by the grinding pinball-type games we play where creativity if almost nonexistent.

Still, that leaves no excuse for his equally ineffective play on the powerplay...I guess you can use the injury excuse there.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 04:09 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Still, that leaves no excuse for his equally ineffective play on the powerplay...I guess you can use the injury excuse there.
I'm not one to make excuses, but our powerplay is atrocious. It's basically ES strategy with an extra man. There is no skill or creativity whatsoever, and Gaborik is a guy who will do damage when someone can make space for him - like MDZ did at the beginning of last year. But now...there are no above-average puck distributors on this team aside from Stepan, and he's a 20 year old rookie. If you can get a Richards, you'll see regular Gaborik production.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 04:26 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

The Wild played an in your face, defensive style game under Lemaire.

Gaborik didnt have too many problems scoring goals those years.

I believe hes just had a down year - but what worries me is hes not doing the things to get himself into prime scoring areas to release shots - and that has nothing to do with: Physical Play, his shoulder injury or the system. It has to do with his skating, reading the play and changing speeds.

He is an elite TALENT with a supreme skillset. Problem is, we just arent seeing it consistently enough for whatever reason this season. Praying it comes back to life. Really am.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 04:28 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Not sure it's the defensive side of things altering Gaborik's game more-so as his health and confidence level.

I don't think it has helped, however, that Torts wants Gaborik to play a grinding game like the rest of the team. It also doesn't help that he has nobody to get him the puck. It's not an overrated or overused statement.

Snipers have one job: snipe. They don't hit. They don't grind. They don't fight. They don't even really back-check all that much (though I'm not indicating that's what Gaborik does). All they do is get open for someone to get them the puck so they can send it home.

Many factors are causing Gaborik to not succeed.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 04:38 PM
Dantes19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr5186 View Post
As inconsistent and invisible as he has been this year, I still think that IF (and that's a big if) he can raise his level of play to anywhere near what it was last year for the stretch run/playoffs, we can do some serious damage this year. All it takes in the playoffs is a hot goalie and an offensive gamebreaker. We have the potential for both with Lundqvist and Gaborik.

Go ahead, call me crazy for thinking that we're built for the playoffs.

You're crazy. I really don't think we're built for playoff success at this point. To win in the playoff you need a true #1 Center -- that's a proven fact. We don't have a #1 Center.

We also don't have the type of offensive depth needed to win in the playoffs. One offensive superstar doesn't get the job done ( and one slumping offensive superstar definitely doesn't get it done). Cup winners have multiple lines that can be counted on to score. We really don't have that, or least don't have enough of that. The type of offensive depth that Philly has is more along the lines of what it takes.

Also, while the D has been very good this season, it remains to be seen whether the defensemen as a group can handle the grind & pressure of multiple 7 game series. About half of our D-men have never played an NHL playoff game.

Last edited by Dantes19: 03-15-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Dantes19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 04:39 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
I can see that his shot is different compared to last year... Like on the PP for instance. His wrist shot is not even there... (Neither is the rest of the PP though).

However, how many breakaway goals do we have for example? Trying to picture another scenario than a SH goal here, hehe... Most of our goals is just hard busting work. Down in the corner, then boom - pass on the first post and someone finds a way to knock it in....

I hope it is his shoulder though and that he will bounce back. He is still a highly rated player with a season off. Crossing my fingers that Richards will come on board this summer to feed Gaborik with some sweet passes. We have literally been barking for our legit first line center for too long now...
Its quite obvious hes injuered and afraid to get further injured, i think that pretty obvious. He was similar last year but had a short duration of games were it was almost as if he forgot about his injuries and looked better. This was only 20 or so games. The point is i am all for him going all out and not being afraid to get hit and hurt but obviously someone wants him in the line-up in this condition. I mean if the coaches cant see how cautious hes playing that pretty sad but i think they do and i doubt they have talked to him about it, which is even more strange.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 05:09 PM
Xtranova

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
The Wild played an in your face, defensive style game under Lemaire.

Gaborik didnt have too many problems scoring goals those years.

I believe hes just had a down year - but what worries me is hes not doing the things to get himself into prime scoring areas to release shots - and that has nothing to do with: Physical Play, his shoulder injury or the system. It has to do with his skating, reading the play and changing speeds.

He is an elite TALENT with a supreme skillset. Problem is, we just arent seeing it consistently enough for whatever reason this season. Praying it comes back to life. Really am.
Very good point there mentioning the Wild style of play. However did their defensive game rely on "on the rush" countering hockey? Cause the Rangers' game nowadays almost takes the dump and chase style to a new level. It works from time to time and it seems that we play it pretty well, but it looks like Gaborik depends on that waiter to serve him pucks we know he can snipe from the slot.

I somehow have a positive feeling we'll grab the two points tonight and Gabby will score at least one. McCabe and Stepan with the two others. 3-1 Rangers

And yes... If he can find his touch in time for a possible play off I can see us reaching far with a portion of luck in the Play offs. Ok, Philly is a completely different all round team, but look at their play off last year. Wasn't they as good as dead when they were without Richards and Carter for some games... :O That was impressive, hands down, gotta admit, whether we like it or not...

Old
03-15-2011, 09:00 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Weird, a huge game against a non-playoff team.

That said he looked great and I hope he builds on it.

03-15-2011, 09:01 PM
TrueBlue9

when he's moving those legs through the neutral zone his game is completely different - and for the better

TrueBlue9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 09:08 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue9 View Post
when he's moving those legs through the neutral zone his game is completely different - and for the better
Also helps that he has Christensen, who is one of the more skilled guys on the team in terms of passing and what not.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 10:36 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

I know it was against a non-playoff team, but by the same token they were 4-0-3 in their last 7. More importantly, he looked different. He skated faster - a couple of times I swear I saw his sweater fluttering in the breeze again for the first time this year. And his shot was also much crisper. 3 games ago, those same shots get blocked or deflected and go wide.

It was only one game and he could easily backslide, but for the first time in a long time (including a couple of the hat trick games) I thought I recognized the old Gabby from last year tonight. Here's hoping he keeps it up!

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 12:08 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

I still think he has been hindered by injuries through most of this season.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 12:26 AM
MSG the place to be*

He's been so bad this year that it skews my memory of how freakin' awesome he was last year. And he was so freakin' awesome last year that it makes me attack him less for his putrid play this year.

#IdontcareaboutnumbersbecauseIwatchthegames

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 08:08 AM
LetsGoBlueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I know it was against a non-playoff team, but by the same token they were 4-0-3 in their last 7. More importantly, he looked different. He skated faster - a couple of times I swear I saw his sweater fluttering in the breeze again for the first time this year. And his shot was also much crisper. 3 games ago, those same shots get blocked or deflected and go wide.

It was only one game and he could easily backslide, but for the first time in a long time (including a couple of the hat trick games) I thought I recognized the old Gabby from last year tonight. Here's hoping he keeps it up!
I agree. To me it looked like he was very upset after he missed some chances in the first period. Leading up to his first goal he seemed to be skating harder and it looked like was not going to be denied. If he comes out with that fire the rest of the way, it should be exciting to watch.

Lets hope he starts a little streak here.

LetsGoBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 09:13 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

It's great to see him light the lamp, and I hope he gets a streak going. He just needs to be consistent, and not just rack up a bunch of points during a blowout, and then disappear for 10 games.

He should have had 4 goals, but I'm definitely happy with where he seems to be headed. We need him to be healthy and play to his potential every night if we are going to do anything in the postseason.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote